MVI_S60R BUILD Thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      The R is gorgeous man! Love everything you've done.
      Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD GT. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kay_yass https://www.instagram.com/kay_yass/
      Quote Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      It is flaccid in nature, and makes me uncomfortable to talk about.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It was a decent day today so I decided to change the fuel filter and pressure sensor since the system will be depressurized. Old filter was damn nasty, gotta change it more often. Anyway I removed the OTE pipe to get to the pressure sensor more easily so I decided to tear everything else off for painting. I painted the strut brace metallic black from the VHT high temp series. Then I painted the strut bar bushings and engine bushing the the same brand but metallic silver. Also I masked off the block and painted the valve cover for a cleaner look. It looks too clean right now but Im going to let it get dirty and look more natural in the engine bay. I think it turned out like blueish silver so I think I will have to find another silver metallic and just dust it over again. It still need to decide what to paint the plastic covers, I think I need to paint more things in that silver metallic. Im thinking do magic blue and clear coat it but that may be too much work. I also painted all the bolts/nuts black to look cleaner.

S60R upper strut mount painting by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R bushings paint by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R bolts painting by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R engine bay paint by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R engine bay paint before by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 03-03-2016 at 11:25 PM.
      '06 S60R GT | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | Trunk Brace | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | XC90 Trans Cooler | Strut Brace | Subframe Brace | 20mm R/Spacers | 90mm Studs | Fancy Rotors | A-Pillar Boost/Trans/Volt Gauges | ScanGauge II | All Lights HID | My BUILD THREAD

I decided to polish the intake manifold plenum as well. I used Mothers polish and a brass brush. I just rubbed it in until the polish turned black then took it off with from APC. May dust it with that metallic silver a little to match more. It looks like a steel brush in the pic but that is just the extra polish sitting on them

S60R plenum polish by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R plenum polish 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      '06 S60R GT | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | Trunk Brace | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | XC90 Trans Cooler | Strut Brace | Subframe Brace | 20mm R/Spacers | 90mm Studs | Fancy Rotors | A-Pillar Boost/Trans/Volt Gauges | ScanGauge II | All Lights HID | My BUILD THREAD

Well it didnt like that new K&N cone, at all. Ran like crap and threw a code. SO I had to go back to stock airbox, oh well. But I did get the paint corrected this past weekend. Dude that came to do most of the work with me was huge, met him on Autopia forums. I expected some regular dude to step out the car but here steps Atilla the Hung. Anyways he did a superb job. We also coated the paint with Optimum GlossCoat. I will top it with CarPro reload when I get the chance and touch up the rubber and plastic trims. Up next is the tune from Hilton, well see how that goes...

S60R paint correction 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R paint correction before n after Menzerma 1 step by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R paint correction by Martini_277, on Flickr S60R paint correction 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Picture one looks like you got a DTM spoiler on her, haha!

Sent from Tapatalk because the people around me are boring. HTC One M8 Tmos
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Fixed the horrible paint on the engine. Says nothing about it looking blue on the can. I got this high temp stuff from Lowes and it has great metal fleks in it. I also painted the engine brace silver and the torque mount gloss black. Looks really clean now. Planning today to change an embarissingly squeeky wheel bearing and maybe some other crap. Here is some pics of the engine bay now.

Nice👌 do you or anyone on speedspeed know where I can purchase a S60r front bumper

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceS60 View Post
      Nice👌 do you or anyone on speedspeed know where I can purchase a S60r front bumper
      You might find one used on Ebay, if not, check Viva or IPD

Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceS60 View Post
      Nice do you or anyone on speedspeed know where I can purchase a S60r front bumper
      Tasca Parts. I would not buy one used. Just call and confirm they are sending the correct color. You could get a primed one as well

So just an update. The paint I had on the valve cover started to peel off, so I had to sand the entire cover back down to bare metal which took forever. Then I primed it with high temp metal primer and gave it a high temp aluminum top coat. Looks really clean now. I also flashed the Hilton stage 2 tune. Damn does she run better now. I also swapped the plugs for NGK colder plugs gapped at .024". We raised to idle to get rid of the vibrations, I enjoy the faster roll as well. But power is definetely wayyyyyy up there. I also went for the 4C map options, so basically when she is in "Comfort" or "Sport", it is a dumb downed stage 2. Then when you hit the "Sport" button next to the shifter or put it in "Advanced" mode the real stage 2 comes out. I topped it out at 20 psi when I did a nice pull on her. I'm thinking I will bring her to Smokey's dyno in Green, OH and see what it actually puts down.

S60R engine primer by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R engine bay by Martini_277, on Flickr

Looks awesome man, Glad you got to meet Tray. He's a great detailer and knows a ton. I hope you picked his brain, you can really learn a lot about keeping the paint fresh from him.
      06 R - Custom Electric Silver

Took a visit to the Volvo Shop here in Ravenna OH. Actually they are named Drennen Services because Volvo sued them for using the word "Volvo" in their name. Anyways, great guys and super knowledge of the R, since he has one and was working when the R's were being produced. Tons and tons of scrap cars and parts all over. Even has a scrap R outside. Anyways, he pointed out some things, looks like Im looking at a new AC condenser and control arm bushes. Damn poly is out already. Anyway, we had it up on the lift and we installed the subframe brace and my god is the handling better. I think braking as well is improved as the subframe doesn't move much anymore. Highly recommend Drennen Service even though noone on SS lives around me. Highly recommend the subframe brace from ViVA as well

Volvo S60R ViVA subframe brace by Martini_277

Based on the location under your avatar, you're only 1.5 hours from me... "It's something!"
      I appreciate the heads up on a viable indy mechanic within just over an hours drive. My sister-in-law is in the reserves on base in Ravenna, so I'll keep them in mind since I could get a ride to or from if needed. Do they have loaner cars at Drennen?
      If you ever find yourself driving East-Southeast, let me know. I'd love to see your caR.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Based on the location under your avatar, you're only 1.5 hours from me... "It's something!"
      I appreciate the heads up on a viable indy mechanic within just over an hours drive. My sister-in-law is in the reserves on base in Ravenna, so I'll keep them in mind since I could get a ride to or from if needed. Do they have loaner cars at Drennen?
      If you ever find yourself driving East-Southeast, let me know. I'd love to see your caR.
      Cool man let me know. The only other R I've ever seen was his. And no they do not have loaners. They aren't like a traditional service shop. They've been in business for a long ass time and they don't care for the formalities. It's pen and paper if that sums it up better. That's their only downside but their service and knowledge is unparalleled.

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      Cool man let me know. The only other R I've ever seen was his. And no they do not have loaners. They aren't like a traditional service shop. They've been in business for a long ass time and they don't care for the formalities. It's pen and paper if that sums it up better. That's their only downside but their service and knowledge is unparalleled.
      I'm on the R map if you want to get a better sense of my location. I use Pittsburgh just to keep it easy.

Good info on Drennen. I need to get a timing belt done ASAP and was debating going to the stealership since that's a bit beyond what I've tackled DIY so far. I prefer the very official record keeping methods of the dealership, but I'll certainly consider another option.

I hear ya! I've barely ever seen other R's and it's been years since I last saw another.
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

Installed the STI lip yesterday night. I actually like the look a lot; especially when I saved $300 compared to the IPD lip. Here is the exact lip I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/360751414184. I had to saw 1cm off each end then I coated it in black Plastidip then heavy coats of Glossifier. Just screws with washers every six inches and double sided tape on the sides of the lip. I brought her to a local car meet "Super Fly" here at Akron University today as well. It was on the roof of a parking garage and we got to see some fireworks. I might be deciding to rip off the brows from the headlights now that the lip is on but I'm not sure if it will look as good if I do, hard decision...

Super Fly meet 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr Super Fly meet S60R by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R STI lip by Martini_277, on Flickr

So a few may know I embarked on a refresh of my headlights. I decided to color match the bezels to Magic Blue for a different look, unfortunately the morons at sherwin williams mixed it a little too dark but I hope with time they will lighten up as they dry. But I did run into some unexpected problems. First, the drivers headlight was replaced by the PO with a "updated" headlight. Updated as in the DRL light housing is fully reflective and the original 2006 one is not, see below

This is the replaced updated version

Color matched headlight project 10 by Martini_277, on Flickr

This is the lens out of the original-to-the-car headlight

Color matched headlight project 11 by Martini_277, on Flickr

I figured it would look really stupid if I just left it like that and I didnt want to put the DRL lenses back on. So I painted the back of the housings with some "chrome"paint even though it looked silver. I put some plastic primer to make sure it doesn't crack and peel over time since that HID bulb gets hot.

Color matched headlight project by Martini_277, on Flickr Color matched headlight project 5 by Martini_277, on Flickr

After that debacle I got to painting the bezels. Like I said the moron at sherwin mixed it too dark but that's ok, it should lighten up over time. But another unexpected probelm arose. The first round I put primer, sanded then the base coat no problem. But when I put clear on it, it turned cloudy! It ended up now un-clouding up so I had to strip it completely down to the OEM silver and restart. I think it was the humidity because second time around I boxed off a room and put a dehumidifier and got the humidity down to 30% at 85 degrees. The second round clear went on fine. I then compounded and polished them for a few hours after I baked the clear on. They look damn good now, I just hope the color lightens up with time....

The Bubble room

Color matched headlight project 7 by Martini_277, on Flickr

After 2 step polishing by hand. Minimal orange peel but you can't see it much behind the glass

Color matched headlight project 4 by Martini_277, on Flickr

I then put it all together and resealed them. I dug out all the old butyl tape and put in 3/8 3M WindowWeld butyl tape. Honestly if I should have gone for the 1/2 inch tape, the 3/8 is just barely enough to seal it, if you dug out most of the old tape. For some reason my DRLs didn't turn on in the pics below, gotta check the wiring. As you can see I did delete the amber reflector as well and put chrome bulbs. I also used new glass from EuroSport Tuning, they look fantastic without all the OEM fluting. I am about to start putting some clear Lamin-X on them and the fogs to protect them in the future, I will post about how they go soon

Color matched headlight project by Martini_277, on Flickr Color matched headlight project 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr Color matched headlight project 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Looks great man!

Ugh. Story of my life.

That front shot looks so good!

Thanks gentlemen

I started on the Lamin-X glass protectors. The fogs went on real well but the headlights look like butt. The glue got screwed up underneath it and it shows like a sore thumb. It was near impossible to get it aligned without it folding. I had to cut out some of the folds, it isn't even big enough for the R headlight. DO NOT get the pre-cut ones. It is for the regular S60, it leaves about a half inch on the top and bottom of the glass exposed. Get the universal sheet and cut it to fit the glass

Last edited by MvI_S60R; 07-18-2015 at 04:26 PM.

[QUOTE=MvI_S60R;2505213]Finally got my summer tires!! This week is going to be a bit crazy. Tomorow we are mounting these tires, then I have fuel work to do right after, then I get to FINALLY mount the body kit before the weekend then I have a full paint correction/seal planned for sat and sun. These are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's. I decided to go full 245/40ZR18 at all four corners for added stability and whatnot. Also will be ripping the plastidip off the Pegs to ring in the summer

So, is it okay to put 245/40/18 on the Pegs? I thought I was told not to put 245 on 8" wheels? Anyway, how it drives? I might do that when I need new tires.
      Black 2007 XC70 Black GT
      Grey 2004 S60R Atacama MT
      Grey 2004 S60R Atacama GT (Sold)
      Grey 2004 V70R Gobi GT
      Silver 1998 V70R Black GT (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by suga View Post

So, is it okay to put 245/40/18 on the Pegs? I thought I was told not to put 245 on 8" wheels? Anyway, how it drives? I might do that when I need new tires.

Lots of people do. Rides fine, maybe a little more comfortable than 235 with more rubber. But I would suppose you would get a little more grip on the track. But mostly it was for aesthetics

Thanks for including the STI lip link. I saw how good it came out on yours and just ordered one myself.

Will post pics as soon as its painted and installed.

2004 S60R M66 "Sapphtacama", Bridgestone Potenza S04 235/18's on Ronal RTs, Aquamist, K&N, Evolve Sways/Grill/Tail covers/Spoiler, Eibach Springs, IPD Stage II/Intercooler/Strut Tower Brace/CAI/Poly upper/trans/stabilizer bushings/R Boost Gauge/SS Brake lines TME DP/Exhaust, VIVA lower rear chassis braces/CBV, DRTSlotted rotors, TWM Abrams Satin Shift Knob, TakSpeed pedals

Quote Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
      Thanks for including the STI lip link. I saw how good it came out on yours and just ordered one myself.

Will post pics as soon as its painted and installed.

No problem. I honestly like the STI lip more than other lips for the R. But you cant beat the looks for the price

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      No problem. I honestly like the STI lip more than other lips for the R. But you cant beat the looks for the price
      For $90 bucks I could HATE it, sell it to someone else on SS for 50 bucks, and still feel good about my life choices
      2004 S60R M66 "Sapphtacama", Bridgestone Potenza S04 235/18's on Ronal RTs, Aquamist, K&N, Evolve Sways/Grill/Tail covers/Spoiler, Eibach Springs, IPD Stage II/Intercooler/Strut Tower Brace/CAI/Poly upper/trans/stabilizer bushings/R Boost Gauge/SS Brake lines TME DP/Exhaust, VIVA lower rear chassis braces/CBV, DRTSlotted rotors, TWM Abrams Satin Shift Knob, TakSpeed pedals

MVI_S60R BUILD/INTRO Thread

Well got the tail lights tinted. I used Lamin-X tint. I wanted a way lighter shde but my local tint shop didnt have it, with my luck they only had the darkest possible. Anyhow I heated and stretched it on there. The S60 tails arent meant for wraps, I cant stretch well enough without leaving creases; it must be spray tinted which I shoulda done. There are creases and folds around the corner that I couldnt avoid. If you are good at these films, you will need a 18"x18" square for this job. Something less than 12mil thick as it is too hard to stretch, like mine.

Also got the DRLs back on. An error code kept them from turning on. As soon as I reset codes they turned on.

God I love the way Magic Blue looks in the sun. Reminds me of how my 95 850 in Amethyst looked at night...

The color of the tint really nicely matches your paint color. I'm not a big brake light tint guy for the loss of indicating power, but it looks fantastic on your caR. It helps that your caR just looks fantastic anyways.

Had to repaint the STI lip. At first it was plastidipped and glosscoated but it looked poopy brown in the sunlight. So I peeled it away and repainted it. This plastic doesnt like paint so I had to wet sand it down level with 800 grit. Then I used Duplicolor Clear Adhesion Promotor. You might want to use some Rustoleum Plastic Primer to fill the sandmarks as they show through after painting a little. I then used this black gloss Rustoleum paint. I honestly think this certain variety is the best gloss black for anything, Ive tried about 6 others and this one goes on smoother and glossier than the rest, Krylon Fusion came hot second but it runs.

I put two layers; to get the correct glossiness, you must shoot it 4-6 inches from the plastic and put it on wet or until you see it level itself smooth. It is very thick paint so it doesnt run easily.

Did this because there is a big ole show this Saturday, hopefully I can win an award in the Euro Mild class

Looks sharp! Keep up the good work!
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread | pictures DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards

yep ...now there that's a compliment coming from DevolvR, since he has the sharpest looking R out there...

Looks good.

When it comes to lower body trim, wheels and other more grungy parts of the car I usually go for a satin or flat black since it looks better dirty and is much easier to touch up when damaged.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast