SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Oil Consumption problem confirmed on my 2011 S60 T6

15K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Bmo Pete 
#1 ·
I purchased my certified pre-owned 2011 S60 T6 this past May with 37,000 miles. Not too long afterwards I noticed that it was consuming way too much oil between changes. I brought it in for the 45,000 mile service at around 43,000 miles and explained the consumption issue to the service manager. They put 8 quarts of oil in and told me to check oil again at 48000. I checked it again at around 47,600 and the oil level was just below the safe area on the dip stick; consumed at least 2 quarts in less than 3,000 miles. Clearly the engine was consuming a lot of oil! The car went back into the dealer last Thursday to undergo an oil consumption test. I spoke to the dealer today and they confirmed that there was, indeed, a problem. So much so that they are replacing ALL SIX of the pistons! Thank god that this is covered under warranty. I really love this car and am considering the Polestar software download. Hopefully this is just an anomaly with this engine.

#2 ·
Yep, anomaly. Our XC70 T6 AWD is the same motor and uses no measurable amount of oil between 7500 mile changes. 72k miles on it so far.

#3 ·
Gettin' some forged pistons/rods put in??;) I'm sure you're extremely happy it's covered under warranty!

#11 ·
I picked up the car today and it runs beautifully. I also purchased the Polestar upgrade, which has changed the driving characteristics and made the car an absolute thrill to drive. As an 'FYI' the fix required 55 hours of labor, plus parts. Once again, kudos to Volvo.

#13 ·
i had the same issue on my 2011 s60 t6 with polestar. all 6 pistons replaced. so far ive got a few thousand miles and the issue has not returned. the oil consumption issue on my vehicle was rather aggressive, around a quart per 2000 miles and got worse over time. started at around 35k and replaced at around 40k.

#14 ·
Just so you know a quart every 2000 is NOT aggressive consumption. After speaking with Volvo they said with regards to cars with High Pressure Turbo that a quart per 800 miles is "within tolerance".

Can you believe they have the balls to say that? lol

#15 ·
Lots of Volvo 6 cylinders being rebuilt on Volvo's dime for this reason

#22 ·
My Dads 2012 s60 t5 45kmi just had its motor rebuilt by Volvo. Didn't even make the first service after purchase (CPO) before running dry. Being an iterative design, I think there must be manufacturing issues with some of the individual parts. Crazy that QA didn't catch the flaws...

#35 ·
So I've gone a bit long on this recent oil change (need to do it this weekend) but I have 3k miles on it. I went out and checked it this morning. The car has done laps on sebring and 13 passes down the drag strip on this oil change. Anyway, ran it for a few mins and let it sit for 5 mins then checked the oil and it was right at the top of the dipstick. Car has 14k on it.

#38 ·
It has a check oil light. I had surgery shortly after Volvo replaced the pistons and have only logged maybe 3000 miles on the car since. I did not add any oil, called Volvo and they are going to take care of it under warranty (so far). I'll post an update when I hear back from Volvo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.