2.5T or T5?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: 2.5T or T5?

2.5T or T5?

which engine has more power potential? What is the difference between 2.5T and the new 2.5L T5. Sorry for the newbie questions

Re: 2.5T or T5? (bradypatrick2000)

Quote, originally posted by bradypatrick2000 »
      which engine has more power potential? What is the difference between 2.5T and the new 2.5L T5. Sorry for the newbie questions

T5 has, undoubtedl, more potential. And the "new" T5 engine is not 2.5L but 2.4L.

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E, BrightSilver w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/ Platinum/Technology/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR,Connected Touch,FR CAMERA

And just to elaborate on Yannis's reply, the 2.5T is ~210HP and the (new as in MY05) T5 is ~260HP.
      1965 White PV544, 1966 Cream 220, 2004 Ruby Red S60

Go with the T5 all the way. I considered both of those engines and went with the T5. Mine has 247 hp and the MY 05 will have 257 hp I believe and a bit more torque than MY01-04.

2.5T has more low end torque and will be a bit faster from 0mph but once you're going and rpms are over 2,000 the T5 will perform much better.

'09 S80 (wife's for a few more months)
      '09 BMW 328i MT
      '02 BMW 525i wagon
      '12 BMW 328i MT (on order)
      '11 Lexus ES 350 (wife'

Re: 2.5T or T5? (soledoc)

Agreed. If you're concerned about engine power, the T5 is probably more for you. Due to more limited funds, and the fact that I really don't find myself in the higher RPMs often anyways, I found the 2.5T to be more a fit for me personally (and since it was already a big leap over what I was driving before, the 2.5T was more within my personal comfort zone). I'd say evaluate your daily driving habits, take em both out for a spin, and see what you think.

Heh, I've always been slightly timid when it comes to driving.

Re: 2.5T or T5? (exizldelfuego)

According to the Volvo STATS, the 0-100km/hr times are 7.0 sec for the 2.5T and 6.8 sec for the T5. The 2.5T has 236ft/lbs of maximum torque, while the T5 has 243. The 2.5T is quite quick off the line, but probably will give you a bit less passing acceleration on the highway. As was stated before the 2.5T has its torque peak at lower RPMs. In canada we can't go faster than 100 km/hr anyway (haha). I chose the 2.5T and I have been very happy. However, next one will be the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

You can't go wrong with either engine. The features of the car I care about most and wouldn't want to live without are: HU-803 stereo, BiXenon headlights, ZF servotronic speed sensitive steering.

My 2 cents.

Re: 2.5T or T5? (brainsurgin)

Quote, originally posted by brainsurgin »
      According to the Volvo STATS, the 0-100km/hr times are 7.0 sec for the 2.5T and 6.8 sec for the T5. The 2.5T has 236ft/lbs of maximum torque, while the T5 has 243. The 2.5T is quite quick off the line, but probably will give you a bit less passing acceleration on the highway. As was stated before the 2.5T has its torque peak at lower RPMs. In canada we can't go faster than 100 km/hr anyway (haha). I chose the 2.5T and I have been very happy. However, next one will be the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

But see, the T5 can be had with manual transmission so then...bye-bye 2.5T!

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E, BrightSilver w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/ Platinum/Technology/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR,Connected Touch,FR CAMERA

Re: 2.5T or T5? (GrecianVolvo)

According to Volvo, the manual trani provides the 6.8 second time

VOLVO S60 T5 (247 BHP)
      The most enticing front-wheel drive sport sedan that
      really inspires sporty driving. The turbocharged fivecylinder
      2.3-liter engine generates very high torque over
      a wide range of engine speeds. The engine begins
      providing its full torque potential (243 ft./lbs.) at 2400
      rpm and on models equipped with a manual transmission
      takes the car from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.8 seconds. The
      high charge-air pressure in the turbo means extra power
      at high engine speeds.

VOLVO S60 2.5T (208 BHP)
      Provides a beautifully balanced and spirited driving
      experience. The five-cylinder 2.5-liter turbocharged
      engine gives you access to the engine’s full torque
      (236 ft./lbs.) from as low as 1500 rpm – so you can
      start off quickly and will seldom need to shift down, for
      example when passing slower moving vehicles. You
      accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.0 seconds.

I looked at both and I happy with the 2.5T.....and cost was not an issue it was value. I did feel much of a difference in driving both

Re: 2.5T or T5? (brainsurgin)

Quote, originally posted by brainsurgin »

The features of the car I care about most and wouldn't want to live without are: BiXenon headlights

No, you don't!
      Trust me here, if you have the North American BiXenons, you CAN live without them as they have no useable high beam so to speak of.
      My S60's headlights (Halogen) a have FAR more powerful and far reaching high beam than my R
      JRL
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Re: 2.5T or T5? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Trust me here, if you have the North American BiXenons, you CAN live without them as they have no useable high beam so to speak of.
      JRL

That's actually not something I've understood. Granted, I had the dealer raise my BiXenon lights (for whatever reason they were set preposterously low when I got the car... they lit up two lane divider lines in front of me and nothing else), but now they're perfect. I drive mostly around Seattle, so the opportunity for high beams is pretty rare. But when I've gone down to Olympia and am driving through the forest enclosed roads there, the high beams have worked real well. I don't think the high beams on the old XC were any better.