Anybody have a picture of US spec Trailer Hitch on V70R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Anybody have a picture of US spec Trailer Hitch on V70R

Dealer tells me to install hitch - they will need to manually cut an opening to accomodate volvo receiver hitch (due to R body work at rear of V70). Sounds like it would scar the R. Curious if anyone has had this done?? Thanks

Re: Anybody have a picture of US spec Trailer Hitch on V70R (JTC)

I am not sure if it helps but here is a picture of the Hidden-Hitch on my 2004 s60. I am pretty sure the same hitch fits the s60r/v70r. This one comes with the drawbar for the correct height.

http://img52.photobucket.com/a...h.jpg

Here is the installation instructions.
      http://www.hiddenhitch.com/ima...4.pdf

Good luck!

-David

Don't do it. It looks terrible. I had it ordered from the factory and they did such a bad job, I had them remove it. Since the bumper was "manually cut" they had to replace the lower bumper piece as well. I think an aftermarket one might suit you better. I'll try to find some pics and post one.
      04 Volvo V70R GT Silver/NORDKAP, IPD catback exhaust, IPD HD endlinks
      06 Porsche Carrera 4S

Re: Anybody have a picture of US spec Trailer Hitch on V70R (drivinfast)

'13 C70 T5 '11 XC60 DrivE '07 C30 '05 S60R MT '00 SAM Carrier '93 850 iTB

I had it done. It's not too bad, if the tech is careful. I would have rather not had the trim cut, but the hitch is black and the lower trim is black, so when done properly it's ok. I thought the factory hitch was right for me for two reasons. 1) For what it's worth, far less of the hitch is visible than with other installs I've seen. Including the post of the hidden hitch on the 2.5T. 2) Its a 2" receiver, which worked with all the stuff I already had.

I use the hitch frequently, plus part of the reason I got the R was that Volvo offered a "factory approved" hitch. So I didn't see the point in getting fussy about cutting the rear valence.

Here is what the Hidden Hitch looks like installed. I used the Hidden Hitch and the factory wiring harness. Total cost = $210, installation took <30 minutes and nothing on the car is cut. BTW, there are numerous 1 1/2 to 2" adaptors so you can use whatever 2" receiver parts you have with this hitch. As mentioned above the hitch comes with the correct draw bar as well. The dealer wanted $800 for the factory hitch installed.

Re: Hitch

Even my salesperson told me to think long and hard before having the rear valence manually cut for the hitch. However, another dealer told me that with care - it can be made to look OK. So anxious to actually see a pic of a Volvo hitch on a R.

The hidden hitch solution looks good - just wonder if it is so low that it will scrape backing down my steep driveway. Also, is the hidden hitch a 2"?

Re: Hitch (JTC)

Is that hidden hitch a class 2 hitch rated for 3500 lbs?
      2004 V70R, red/atacama with a stick and pretty much totally stock.

No, it won't hit, it is not the lowest thing on the car. No, it's the class 2 spec 1 1/4" receiver. A 2" receiver is overkill on a 3500 lb hitch. IMHO

Note: the hitch is rated at 3500 lbs but the car is only rated at 3300 lbs.

Re: (mjw930)

I have been able to bottom out mine in one condition but there has been no visible damage.

The condition is the car fully loaded 4 passengers and trunk full of junk backing down a driveway that is close to a 40 degree angle from the street. It does not do this without the backseat passengers.

A minivan full of kids produces the same effect without a hitch....This is a poor driveway and not a problem with clearance.

-David

Here's the pic of the hitch installed at the factory. you can tell that Volvo does not specialize in hitches.

04 Volvo V70R GT Silver/NORDKAP, IPD catback exhaust, IPD HD endlinks
      06 Porsche Carrera 4S

Quote, originally posted by drivinfast »
      Here's the pic of the hitch installed at the factory. you can tell that Volvo does not specialize in hitches.

Ohmigod that's awful! I see why you had it removed!

I'm soooooo glad my wife has a V70XC. The factory hitch for that, with a big clamp block that slides over a receiver plug and clips on with a sturdy green latch handle is nearly invisible when the clamp-with-ball is off the car. No cut in the bumper necessary, as the bumper sits much higher than the R's. I hope for 2005 someone at Volvo has re-thought that version for the R. (I mean, even better than just putting a cover over it all as in the Simbaleo pic in the other thread which is perhaps the best that can be done with a bad starting point.)

Off Topic with photo for substance...

Quote, originally posted by mjw930 »
      Here is what the Hidden Hitch looks like installed. I used the Hidden Hitch and the factory wiring harness.

Wow mjw...I'm looking at your garage. Nice 930! I did a double take to make sure that wasn't my R with a Hidden Hitch and my 968 Cab in the garage. The stickers have since been covered or painted.

Rich
      2004 V70R Ti/Ata 6M
      (Jeep GC, 996tt, 968 Cab, 2014 Rotax TonyKart)
      Selling homes in Park City Utah

Here is what the Hidden Hitch looks like installed. I used the Hidden Hitch and the factory wiring harness. Total cost = $210, installation took <30 minutes and nothing on the car is cut.

Mark - can you explain a bit more about the factory wiring harness? Is this something that plugs into existing wiring? Been to any PCOC mtgs lately?

2006 V50 T5 AWD

It's the proper 4 wire US harness. Part number 8698079. $80.00 list, can be had for about 20% off using at least one forum advertiser. It plugs into an existing plug in the spare tire well and includes everything needed, including a new grommet that the wire passes through.

Yes. I have the Factory Hitch and I think it looks great.

What is your email and I will send you photos?

I have a 2004 V70R Titanium Grey.

Ryan

Has anyone installed an aftermarket 2" receiver? Do the 2004/5 factory installed receiver hitches still require a rough cut of the molding?

I would really like to use a hitch mount bike rack, and require a straight 2" receiver (rather than adapted from a 1.25 inch).

Any ideas?

Modified by aci318 at 1:01 PM 6-20-2004

Re: (aci318)

The only 2" receiver option is the factory hitch. All other aftermarket hitches use the standard 1.25" class 2 spec receiver. You really shouldn't have a problem using an adaptor but ultimately it's your call.

Note, the factory option will cost 2 to 3 times what the aftermarket charges and the installation requires the removal of the rear bumper cover.

A welder could add a couple simple tabs to the Hidden Hitch that could be used to stabilize a bike rack making the 1-1/8->2 adapter work better. Simple strut from rack to those tabs would really stabilize things.

Re: (JimLill)

Or simply go to http://www.etrailer.com/ and click on bike racks. There are 4 or 5 that work with the 1.25" receiver. You don't need the Volvo rack to carry your bikes

Hey, thanks for the link. It got me wondering if the rack that I wanted was available for a 1.25 inch receiver, and it is. I'm sure it's not quite as stable and it's a bummer not to take advantage of the full towing capacity, but I guess I can't have everything.

http://www.sarisproducts.com/p...o.htm#

This rack holds the bike by the wheels, so I don't need to take the front wheel off, and it won't marr the paint... and the bike can be tucked in the draft of the V70R.

Of course, I could always get rear-ended with the bike on the back.

Thanks again to all.

Modified by aci318 at 10:50 PM 6-21-2004

Here is what the Hidden Hitch looks like installed. I used the Hidden Hitch and the factory wiring harness. Total cost = $210, installation took <30 minutes and nothing on the car is cut. BTW, there are numerous 1 1/2 to 2" adaptors so you can use whatever 2" receiver parts you have with this hitch. As mentioned above the hitch comes with the correct draw bar as well. The dealer wanted $800 for the factory hitch installed.

So I'm assuming that the hitch is installed using in pre-drilled holes or mounts. Is there any drilling required?

Thanks for the pictures... very helpful.

The hitch looks nice; can you tell me what the clearance is between the bottom of the hitch and level ground. I need 12-15 inches of clearance.

Quote, originally posted by aci318 »
      Hey, thanks for the link. It got me wondering if the rack that I wanted was available for a 1.25 inch receiver, and it is. I'm sure it's not quite as stable and it's a bummer not to take advantage of the full towing capacity, but I guess I can't have everything.

Not true! The towing capacity of the V70R is 3300 lbs. The class 2 towing capacity of the Hidden Hitch is 3500 lbs. You lose nothing.

The hitch mounts to 6 points on the frame (unibody) that are exactly the same mounting points the factory hitch uses. They already have capture nuts so the installation takes less than 30 minutes.

You need to measure your car as it is today. The rear bumper cover only has 11.5" of clearance. The lowest point of the hitch has 8.5" of ground clearance but it's not the lowest thing under the car. It would only be an issue for high angle of attack situations like steep driveways. My in-laws have a very steep driveway and I don't hit but your mileage may vary

Not true! The towing capacity of the V70R is 3300 lbs. The class 2 towing capacity of the Hidden Hitch is 3500 lbs. You lose nothing.

Oh yeah... you're right... I forgot. I forgot that the issue with the 2" receiver (for my old Pathfinder) was not the tow rating, but that most receiver mounted racks were made for 2 inch receivers. It was actually news to me that a number of manufacturers are making 1.25" reciever mounted bike racks now.

You need to measure your car as it is today. The rear bumper cover only has 11.5" of clearance. The lowest point of the hitch has 8.5" of ground clearance but it's not the lowest thing under the car. It would only be an issue for high angle of attack situations like steep driveways. My in-laws have a very steep driveway and I don't hit but your mileage may vary

Don't have the car yet... that's why I'm asking so many questions, so I can decide how I want to configure my new 2005 V70R. The rack manufacturer specifies 12-15" of clearance, so I suppose anything else is at my own risk.

Remember, there's a couple of extra feet of bike rack sticking out back from the hitch, so this may be an issue to think about. OK, now I have to think about roof rails again... In any case, I still like that hitch.

The hitch mounts to 6 points on the frame (unibody) that are exactly the same mounting points the factory hitch uses. They already have capture nuts so the installation takes less than 30 minutes.

Great! Thanks for the information. I'm so glad that I looked at this forum before deciding on the dealer install. I would have been hoppin' mad if I picked up my new V70R with rough cut in the bumper.

Modified by aci318 at 10:31 PM 6-21-2004

Are they talking vertical clearance or horizontal clearance?

The receiver on the aftermarket is at ~ 9" - 10" off the ground with the factory hitch being about 1" higher.

None of the options for the V70R will get 12" - 15" off the ground.

Are they talking vertical clearance or horizontal clearance?

It looks like the mean the vertical from the bottom of the hitch. I suppose that 12-15 is required to prevent bottoming out in cases where the roads/entrances are within some civil design standard.

I imagine that with less clearance there will be occassions that the rack might bottom out.

Quote, originally posted by aci318 »
      Oh yeah... you're right... I forgot. I forgot that the issue with the 2" receiver (for my old Pathfinder) was not the tow rating, but that most receiver mounted racks were made for 2 inch receivers. It was actually news to me that a number of manufacturers are making 1.25" reciever mounted bike racks now.

Drawtite makes a hitch mounted rack that works with both 1.25 and 2 inch receivers. see

http://www.etrailer.com/Mercha...e=BRF

2006 V50 T5 AWD

Re: Anybody have a picture of US spec Trailer Hitch on V70R (Bond7070)

Quote, originally posted by Bond7070 »
      Yes. I have the Factory Hitch and I think it looks great.

What is your email and I will send you photos?

I have a 2004 V70R Titanium Grey.

Ryan

http://www.deepnet.info/swedespeed/bond7070

His: 2011 Nissan Leaf - No Gas... Just Electrons...
      For Sale: 2007 S80 V8 AWD
      Hers: 2010 XC70 T6 AWD