The "Ultimate" XC90 Collectable? (XC90 Safety Cutaway Cars) - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by benbow View Post
      Glad to see your cutaway XC90 saved and properly displayed Mike. The Gothenburg Volvo museum cutaway S80 is viewable in a thread I posted in 2013.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ht=S80+cutaway
      The S80 pics from the thread you listed are not displaying for me... did they 'expire' or something? I'd like to see them, if possible.

Thanks.
      Former Love: 1998 Volvo S70 T5 | Ember Black | All Stock | sold @ 188,000 Miles
      Wife: 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 | Metallic Silver | All Stock | 106,200 Miles
      My 'New' Love: 2010 Volvo S80 AWD T6 | Ember Metallic Black w/ Dynaudio, Nav, Backup Cam | 106,000 Miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No.1 Volvo aficionado!
      Black Stone 01 s60 2.4T (Sold) 150k Miles

Nautic Blue 04 s80 2.9 (Current) 272k miles as of 9/28/2014 [Purchased Feb. 14]

Magic Blue 05 s60 R (Current) 155k miles as of 9/28/2014 [Purchased Sept. 14]

congratulations

Very nice from you to present all this photos and efforts to xc 90 lovers and owners.
      Put also some simple numbers stickers on each important chasis part and near model one simple table with photo book and explanations what numbers represents as I spot in Volvo museum in Goeteborg. Good continue with new xc90 chasis...
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 06.06.2006 last 2.5T 256.600 km
      260 HP 410 Nm Tuned Chip + Software

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong View Post
      Very nice from you to present all this photos and efforts to xc 90 lovers and owners.
      Put also some simple numbers stickers on each important chasis part and near model one simple table with photo book and explanations what numbers represents as I spot in Volvo museum in Goeteborg. Good continue with new xc90 chasis...
      The model is actually color-coded to the car, but I understand what you mean.

I am actually picking up a more complete XC90 cutaway tomorrow which was originally a running/driving model. It has the full engine and driveline in it, but it hasn't been started in over 10 years. I plan to try to get it running. I'll post pics of that one too as I'm picking it up. It is MUCH more complete. It has all of the glass and body panels, but has holes cut in the body panels. The interior is partially finished as well.
      2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Polestar + Snabb | 93,000 Miles
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 307,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70 R | 2001 Audi S8 | 1992 Subaru SVX | 2004 Maserati Spyder
      My XC90 Safety Demo Cutaway Cars

Sounds like that would also be an excellent promotion. Maybe even parades?
      Last edited by Swagger XC; 02-10-2015 at 09:05 PM.
      2002 v70 xc Classic White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

Well, as I mentioned before, I picked up a second one of these things yesterday. This XC90 has a complete drivetrain in it, along with a partial interior. From the drivers side, it appears to be a totally complete car. It even has the ultra rare decor kit on the drivers side. It also has running boards, roof ribs, and some other interesting accessories. The car also has an on-board power system which allows it to be powered by AC power. The car appears to have originally been designed for show and display purposes in europe, as it was designed to run off of 220 AC power. Because of this, it has also been fitted with a transformer which steps 110 to 220. It also has a second key that is to be inserted in the cargo compartment which can engage or disengage the starter circuit. This allows people to play with the features in the car without the risk of them starting the car and driving off in it.

The down side is that the car hasn't been started in at least 10 years, and the Volvo dealership from which I acquired it was allowing their service department to constantly rob parts from it. So, I'll be spending some time piecing it back together before I put it on display in my showroom with my other cutaway. I do intend on keeping both unless somebody makes me an outstanding offer on one. They're both crystal green in color, and both have positives and negatives. They show different features and each has its own use. I have visions of being able to do local parades with both of them, towing the shell cutaway with a tow bar behind the running cutaway.

Of course since it's me, I documented my progress with photos.

First, a bit of info on how I found the thing. I was at a Volvo dealership which is fairly close to me, but I rarely do business there. There are a few Volvo dealerships closer to me, so I've never really had much need to go to this one. I just happened to be in the neighborhood last week, and needed to pick up a part, so I stopped there. I glanced over to the showroom, and noticed they had an old XC90 in the showroom. I was looking at it from the drivers side, so it appeared to be complete. It was only upon further inspection that I noticed it was actually one of the illusive running/driving cutaways. I asked to speak with somebody in management to see if they had any information about it as I had no information on mine. The dealer from which I bought the other cutaway knew nothing about it. When I asked, he said he actually was looking to sell it. We did a bit of negotiating on the spot, and agreed on a purchase price. I returned yesterday to pick it up. I find it so funny that I was working for months to be able to negotiate the purchase of the first one which was located 8 hours away from me, and only after getting it, discovered that there was one I could buy just an hour away that I didn't know about. I wish I knew more about these things -- like how many were produced and where they ended up. I had never seen any outside of auto shows except these two, and a 2001 S60 at Suburban Volvo in Troy, MI.

These are pics that I took of the XC90 cutaway the day that I first saw it when it was still in the showroom of the dealership.

Back the next week to load it up!:

Loaded up and ready for the trip back:

A quick stop for gas before heading out of town and back to the snowy north:

A big milestone on the way back! Is there a more appropriate way to hit a quarter million miles???:

A quick stop at a rest stop to make sure everything is still secure:

And back at my dealership ready to be unloaded:

Like I said, it needs some piecing together, and some work before it'll be up and running. Once I get it to that point, I'll clean it up and place it in my showroom with my other cutaway. I think they'll make an awesome pair! Thanks for following my thread if you've made it this far!
      Last edited by itwontstopsnowin; 02-12-2015 at 03:06 AM.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 307,000 Miles

Wow. These are really cool. But now you need the Legoland cutaway to complete your collection. It's been over fifteen years since I've been there, but I could swear that the cutaway XC90 at Legoland was cut straight down the middle, so you could see the inside of everything (including inside the engine and transmission). I vaguely remember the floor in the cargo area creates kinda "stadium seating" for the third row passengers.. Also, if you want to get really crazy...I think they also had a full size replica of an XC90 made out of Legos. (Plus Volvo-only parking near the park entrance).
      2012 C70 T5 Polestar
      2007 XC90 3.2

2003 XC90 T6 (traded in before tranny exploded!)
      1991 240 (sold but probably should have kept it)
      1967 122s (sold to the man who drove it all the way back to San Jose)

As a new XC90 owner this is really feeding my inner engineering geek side!

Thanks for saving and sharing.

Mike
      '14 XC90 R-Design, Passion Red & Calcite White, 19" Ixion wheels
      AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS, Volvo Hitch/Harness

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      Well, as I mentioned before, I picked up a second one of these things yesterday. This XC90 has a complete drivetrain in it, along with a partial interior. From the drivers side, it appears to be a totally complete car. It even has the ultra rare decor kit on the drivers side. It also has running boards, roof ribs, and some other interesting accessories. The car also has an on-board power system which allows it to be powered by AC power. The car appears to have originally been designed for show and display purposes in europe, as it was designed to run off of 220 AC power. Because of this, it has also been fitted with a transformer which steps 110 to 220. It also has a second key that is to be inserted in the cargo compartment which can engage or disengage the starter circuit. This allows people to play with the features in the car without the risk of them starting the car and driving off in it.

The down side is that the car hasn't been started in at least 10 years, and the Volvo dealership from which I acquired it was allowing their service department to constantly rob parts from it....
      Ruh roh, it's a T6! Probably needs a new transmission... even having sat 10 years...

J/K man, this is an awesome collection you're starting!
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust, 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer

I may just have to make a trip to Erie to see these Volvos, after the snow melts in June.

So cool. That decor kit is sweet!! Can the kit be purchased??
      2013 WRX Limited Hatch - Satin White Pearl
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

Quote Originally Posted by skifreak85353 View Post
      So cool. That decor kit is sweet!! Can the kit be purchased??
      There are two decor kits. The one on the cutaway is for the prefacelift (03-06). My XC90 has the facelift version which is for 07-current. Here is a link to a thread I created that is all about the decor kits. They are EXTREMELY rare. Mine is the only facelift one I've ever seen in person with one, and this cutaway is only the second prefacelift version that I've seen in person with one. I think they REALLY enhance the look of the car. I love the understated nature of the facelift version especially. The wheel arch trim actuall extends down below the actual wheel arch which gives the car a lower appearance without actually lowering the car by eliminating some wheel gap. Volvo really knew what they were doing when they designed this kit. The best thing is that it's available pre-painted in most colors, and it installs in just a few hours.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...E-Tons-of-Pics!)

Threre are also some good pics showing the decor kit on my 2007 in the thread about the R-Design Dual Sport Exhaust. I feel that the exhaust system really completed the look along with the decor kit. It's kind of like a sporty version of the luxury XC90 without being a full blow R-Design. I think it works well with the 19 inch Galatea wheels and Willow Green color, along with the running boards and silver front bumper piece. Everything ties together nicely. Just my opinion.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Exhaust-System
      Last edited by itwontstopsnowin; 02-12-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
      I may just have to make a trip to Erie to see these Volvos, after the snow melts in June.
      You'd better wait until July just to be safe! Either that, or just fit some studded snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      Ruh roh, it's a T6! Probably needs a new transmission... even having sat 10 years...

J/K man, this is an awesome collection you're starting!
      Hey, all it needs to do is move around a little bit. I don't plan on doing any long distance cruising in the thing. Although, I'd imagine that might get some puzzled looks. I actually thought that its probably got just about the worst possible T6 transmission since its such an early car. It was built in very early 2002, and the VIN number indicates that it is a 2002 model year. The car has every possible option except for a sunroof, which is actually kind of cool since the sunroof was standard in all US market cars. Neither of the cutaways I have have a sunroof. This one, literally has everything else, though including Navigation, Premium Sound, Rear Seat Entertainment, and both cars are painted in Crystal Green despite that color not being offered until 2004 in the USA. So many cool little details.

The car is technically not road legal since even though it has a VIN (a very very low chassis code, by the way), it is a European market car. The car actually doesn't even come up in Volvo Cars North America's system as a valid car when the VIN is entered. I tried doing it today while at the Volvo dealership. It does, though, come up as valid in VIDA for the purpose of looking up parts, so that's good. As such, it was never issued an American MSO since it doesn't meet federal standards. As such, it has no title, so it cannot be registered as it sits. I can probably get away with driving it around a bit since I'm a car dealer and have dealer plates, but I can't push my luck. There is a representative from our state dealer organization who advised me that I can apply for a "specially constructed vehicle" title for the car which would in turn allow me to make it road legal. The car would have to pass some basic inspections with regard to safety and emissions, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Then I could actually legally register it.

Quote Originally Posted by camarkim View Post
      Wow. These are really cool. But now you need the Legoland cutaway to complete your collection. It's been over fifteen years since I've been there, but I could swear that the cutaway XC90 at Legoland was cut straight down the middle, so you could see the inside of everything (including inside the engine and transmission). I vaguely remember the floor in the cargo area creates kinda "stadium seating" for the third row passengers.. Also, if you want to get really crazy...I think they also had a full size replica of an XC90 made out of Legos. (Plus Volvo-only parking near the park entrance).
      There are actually two full size xc90s built completely of Lego. There is a blue one, and a red one. As far as I know, both are still on display at lego lands.

Along with those they had one that is almost completely sliced in half to show off the safety features. I'm heading there in a few weeks and I'll take some pictures if it's still there.
      Last edited by Swagger XC; 02-12-2015 at 11:55 PM.
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

Damn. Can't find the decor kit anywhere...lucky for you, you snagged one!
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

Interesting drivers side headlight on the latest cutaway. Is that an active bending halogen lamp? I was not aware of those.
      2007 XC90 V8
      2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LJ 6-speed
      1993 Dodge Viper RT/10
      Past favorites: 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16, 1967 Volvo 1800S, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1998 Volvo V70 T5M

Quote Originally Posted by caliwagon View Post
      Interesting drivers side headlight on the latest cutaway. Is that an active bending halogen lamp? I was not aware of those.
      The drivers side headlight is just a standard 2003-2006 BiXenon. It's the same as any other prefacelift XC90 with xenons.

I spent several hours yesterday replacing a lot of the parts that the previous dealership "robbed" from the car. All that's really left is to install the proper OEM Michelin tires that belong on it (have them sitting and waiting to be installed), and to replace all of the computer modules which I ordered from a donor 2003 XC90. Once that's done, we should be ready to try starting the car. I did change the oil and filter, although it looked and smelled brand new. The transmission fluid looks new. The brake fluid looks new. The coolant looks new. Even the gas smells perfectly fine. I added two bottles of drygas to the gas tank in case there has been an moisture which has accumulated, however the car has spent the entire time in a 72 degree atmosphere, so I don't see how that would have happened.

One thing I have left to do is replace some vacuum related components, along with reroute and/or replace vacuum lines. I already replaced the vacuum pump, as it was missing. The turbo control valve is also missing, along with some other vacuum related components. I can't seem to find a good comprehensive vacuum diagram for the T6. If somebody can post one, that would be awesome. One of my employees drives a 2004 T6 XC90, so I can always compare what's going on under the hood of her car, but I don't want to inconvenience her.

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      I spent several hours yesterday replacing a lot of the parts that the previous dealership "robbed" from the car. All that's really left is to install the proper OEM Michelin tires that belong on it (have them sitting and waiting to be installed), and to replace all of the computer modules which I ordered from a donor 2003 XC90. Once that's done, we should be ready to try starting the car. I did change the oil and filter, although it looked and smelled brand new. The transmission fluid looks new. The brake fluid looks new. The coolant looks new. Even the gas smells perfectly fine. I added two bottles of drygas to the gas tank in case there has been an moisture which has accumulated, however the car has spent the entire time in a 72 degree atmosphere, so I don't see how that would have happened.
      You might want to drain/fill the gas tank if it was sitting for a year. It's not that moisture gets in, it's that the chemicals in the gasoline will actually settle/separate out...
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust, 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer

There was a XC90 V8 cutaway in our local dealer like this one.
      You want me to ask how much they want for it and complete your collection?

MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/UR pulley/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned=
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tune=

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
      There was a XC90 V8 cutaway in our local dealer like this one.
      You want me to ask how much they want for it and complete your collection?

So theirs was a V8? (as is in the picture) Which local dealer? You list several locales as your location. I am trying so hard to determine how rare these are. I have heard from a number of sources that there are roughly 5 of them, and I believe I have accounted for them all, including the one in that photo. I don't know where that one is, but I did find extensive pictures of that one on the internet.

I found a training video on youtube from VCNA of what appears to be one of my cutaways being used to demonstrate the safety features of the car to dealers by a VCNA rep. Both of the dealerships that I bought my cutaways from had no real knowledge of how they acquired them, and nobody I've been able to contact at Volvo seems to have any knowledge of them either. The closest I've come is speaking with the General Manager of Suburban Volvo in Troy Michigan, earlier today. They have a 2001 S60 Cutaway, and he confirmed that it was used at the Detroit auto show, and then they were able to purchase it from Volvo after the show. We know that the only show in North America in which Volvo Car Corporation participates presently, is the Detroit Auto Show, but I don't know if they participated in others back when these were made. Regardless, I believe they were made for the auto show circuit, and were not made specifically for dealership display. I think that's just where they ended up if the dealers were willing to step up and pay the large sum of money that they cost when Volvo was done with them.

Again, if anybody reading this has any information about the origin of any Volvo cutaways, or information regarding how many exist, who decided where they ended up, where current ones presently reside, or ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to post in this thread or PM me.

The "Ultimate" XC90 Collectable? (XC90 Safety Cutaway Cars)

I tried finding more details and pictures on the sliced-in-half safety demo located at legoland and according to their email from their park headquarters in California, they have no record of it or where it went. It just sorta vanished. If anybody else has pictures of it please post them as it was a really cool piece and is a shame that no one knows where it is any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Swagger XC; 02-23-2015 at 11:23 PM.

I might be of assistance...here it is captured by me in 2010, at Legoland in San Diego.

At the time, it was on display in the entrance to the kids' driving area. I do have more photos somewhere - I'll post them as soon as I find them.

They had the blue full-size Lego XC90 on display elsewhere in the park:

It's a T6 that will never move under its own power - not sure what to take from that...

While we're on the subject, this is the Volvo-only parking near the entrance to the park itself, that was mentioned above:

'09 XC90 3.2 AWD 5p w/ BLIS, Ice White/Graphite, SR/Luxury/Convenience/Dynaudio w/ USB

Fill your 3.2 up with 91 octane: I've had an extra 100km per tank ever since!

(WRG2s worn out @ 78k kms, replaced w/ WRG3s!)

^Thats exactly what I was looking for! I remember that when I was 6! I made another email to corporate and strangely they denied ever having it and the Lego ones have also been removed without announcement or information on where they would be going.

Last edited by Swagger XC; 02-25-2015 at 12:04 AM.

The blue Lego XC90 from LEGOLAND California is now at the VOLVO museum.

http://www.volvomuseum.com/se/varlde...-i-full-skala/
      MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/UR pulley/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned=
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tune=

Itwontstopsnowing,
      If you keep this up, you will turn your showroom into a Volvo museum! One of which I may be inclined to come visit. I may also bring a pocket full of money and buy a car off your lot ( I am not in the market yet)! It has to be a good marketing program for those of us who are Volvo enthusiasts to have a independent dealer that likes the cars as much as you do.
      2001 V70 XC ; 2006 XC90 ORE #506; Recovering BMW-aholic :-)
      Never thought the following would be required; I have never performed any service nor have I been employed directly or indirectly for Volvo or any of its subsidiaries, nor any Volvo affiliated dealer Anything that I post should be considered CONJECTURE from the view point of "How I, raymansean, would do things; not how you should do them!"

I have both of my set up in the showroom now. I'm still working on getting the "running/driving" one actually running. I have all of the parts that I need, though. At least, I think I do. They do look great in the showroom.

I am trying to accumulate more volvo educational pieces as well. I have this S40 model showing its safety structure, and I should be acquiring a complete cutaway of the rear suspension of an all wheel drive model in the next few weeks. I've been negotiating to acquire it.

PS- I love the "cut in half" one from legoland. It's amazing how stuff like this disappears. It's similar to the situation with my cutaways. I can find literally nobody with information about them. VCNA has changed ownership and their staff has cycled 8 million times since these things were made, so even though there are probably people out there that know about them, they don't seem to be employed by VCNA at this point.

I got a couple of new pics today. By the way, if I'm annoying people by posting information on these, please let me know, and I'll let the thread die out. I just thought that even though there hasn't been any forward interest, perhaps some are reading and looking. I would like to post another update once the one is running. I think it'll be excellent to get one running after its been sitting dormant for 10+ years.

This pic shows how I now have them arranged in my showroom.

And a closeup. I have "Volvovision" working again on the TV in the shell car.

I am hoping to have a Volvo owner's appreciation day sometime in early summer at my business. I have a huge unused parking lot which would make an excellent venue for a meet, and I'm hoping to have the one cutaway up and running by then so it can be driven around.

Can't believe I've never posted in this thread. Love those shots.

Yeah agreed super interesting keep em coming!
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

Yep, I'm subscribed and check every post, thanks!

'07 Sonic Blue S60 R - SOLD
      '07 Passion Red XC90 Sport - SOLD
      '16 XC60 T6 AWD
      '12 Acura TSX Special Edition

I spent today installing a new REM, CEM, ECM, and TCM. I got the car's systems to power up using the 220v AC onboard transformer. It's not at the point of running yet, but all of the car's electrical systems are up and running including the power seat, windows, lighting, climate control, etc. A big step in the right direction!

I enjoy seeing the pics and reading the updates you provide in this thread, thanks for sharing and keeping us posted.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition

2017 Audi Q7

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast