The "Ultimate" XC90 Collectable? (XC90 Safety Cutaway Cars) - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Agreed I love cut away stuff keep the pics coming.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm interested as well. Keep it coming!
      '09 XC90 3.2 AWD 5p w/ BLIS, Ice White/Graphite, SR/Luxury/Convenience/Dynaudio w/ USB

Fill your 3.2 up with 91 octane: I've had an extra 100km per tank ever since!

(WRG2s worn out @ 78k kms, replaced w/ WRG3s!)

I'm posting this in case anybody might have some info. The car won't start. It has power to the systems. Everything works. When I turn the key, the only thing that I hear is the sound of the A/C Clutch disengaging. The starter does nothing. I believe it's related to the shifter, as the readout in the gauge cluster which should display the shifter position "P, R, N, D" etc, simply reads " - " Does anybody have any idea what might cause this?

Keep in mind that I have no clue what parts might have been removed or replaced with bad parts by the previous owners of the vehicle. They were definitely picking at it as a parts car, and I've sunk about $1500 into parts already just to get it to the point of powering up.
      2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Polestar + Snabb | 95,000 Miles
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 311,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70 R | 2004 Maserati M128 Coupe | 1992 Subaru SVX
      My XC90 Safety Demo Cutaway Cars

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was understood the "-" as either a fault with the transmission or communication with it. Hope this can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 v70 xc Classic White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

Not sure if you've done it already but have you read out the DTC with VIDA?
      MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/UR pulley/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned=
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tune=

That is my thought as well. The computer can not tell what "gear" the transmission is in. It may be time to break out the diagnostic tools (VIDA/ DICE) and see what all is not behaving well. I admire your perseverance on this, trying to troubleshoot what has to be a Franken Volvo is not going to be easy.
      2001 V70 XC ; 2006 XC90 ORE #506; Recovering BMW-aholic :-)
      Never thought the following would be required; I have never performed any service nor have I been employed directly or indirectly for Volvo or any of its subsidiaries, nor any Volvo affiliated dealer Anything that I post should be considered CONJECTURE from the view point of "How I, raymansean, would do things; not how you should do them!"

Yep. I'm planning on scanning it with VIDA this weekend. I usually reserve Saturdays to tinker with it. I also noticed that the LEDs on the shifter itself which are next to the P R N D etc also do not light up. I need to look and see if the transmission range sensor is actually on the transmission and plugged in. Hopefully VIDA points me in the right direction. There are going to be a ton of codes because everything on the right side of the car is missing. LOL.

I should also add that almost every important electrical module was missing from the car when I got it. The REM, CEM, ECM, and TCM were all completely missing. I believe the Volvo dealership from whom I bought the car purposely removed them to prevent me from getting the car running as they kept expressing major concerns about liability if I were to drive the car. I wrote to Xemodex and they recommended that I get all of those modules and the BCM, as well as the key and ignition lock from a different XC90 T6. Since all of the modules would originate from the same car, it would essentially "trick" my car into thinking it was the donor vehicle. So far everything seems to be working, and I don't believe the starting issue is related.
      Last edited by itwontstopsnowin; 04-08-2015 at 08:20 PM.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 311,000 Miles

Xemodex is on the right track, if the ECM or CEM are from different XC90s this could prevent the vehicle from starting.

Good Luck and hope to see it running again soon!
      MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/UR pulley/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned=
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tune=

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
      Xemodex is on the right track, if the ECM or CEM are from different XC90s this could prevent the vehicle from starting.

Good Luck and hope to see it running again soon!

I should clarify that I have already installed all of the modules from a single donor XC90 T6. So, everything should be in order as far as that is concerned. That is why I believe the starting issue is unrelated. I definitely think it's related to the shifter since there is no signal indicating the shifter's position getting to the car. I just have to figure out why not.

Itwontstopsnowin, will you be at your shop on Saturday? I live down the road from you and my 2002 S60 AWD is sick. My DIM is toast so I can't see the message, so I need a scan. Yellow triangle, first start attempt was nothing, second attempt was just lots of cranking, the 3rd attempt it started. But the yellow triangle is on. (You and I met once, I stop in with the green R last summer)

Anyway I can check your cutaways out too
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 Volvo S60 T5 Platinum AWD, Crystal White Pearl/Beechwood, Sport Package, Climate Package
      2009 Outback XT, 5 spd, Blue with Black, 84k (the wife's ride)
      1995 Ford F250, 4x4 off road package, (In Storage during winters, very nice condition)

Quote Originally Posted by kentajeff View Post
      Itwontstopsnowin, will you be at your shop on Saturday? I live down the road from you and my 2002 S60 AWD is sick. My DIM is toast so I can't see the message, so I need a scan. Yellow triangle, first start attempt was nothing, second attempt was just lots of cranking, the 3rd attempt it started. But the yellow triangle is on. (You and I met once, I stop in with the green R last summer)

Anyway I can check your cutaways out too
      I'm sorry that I missed you today. Albert said that you stopped in. They said they couldnt get VIDA to work for you, however I tried it once I got in and it worked fine. I'm not sure what was going on. My guess is you probably need a new antenna ring, and the message says "START PREVENTED SEE MANUAL". I got in today just before noon.

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
      Not sure if you've done it already but have you read out the DTC with VIDA?
      Scanning the car with VIDA gave me some interesting informations. There were, of course, a TON of codes because of all of the missing "stuff" on the right side of the car, but the important codes that I noticed both were CEM codes indicating that there was no communication with the ECM or TCM. I checked both the ECM and the TCM to make sure they were seated properly in their housing and tried again. Same codes. This would explain why I'm getting no gear signal from the TCM. Additionally, the gear selector will move to any position, including out of park, without having to put your foot on the brake.

VIDA is having no issues reading information from the car, but it wont communicate with the ECM or TCM. It leads me to believe their is either no power to the ECM/TCM box, or the CAN lines to the box are damaged. The codes that it is throwing are the codes which would indicate that the ECM and TCM are completely missing.

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      I'm sorry that I missed you today. Albert said that you stopped in. They said they couldnt get VIDA to work for you, however I tried it once I got in and it worked fine. I'm not sure what was going on. My guess is you probably need a new antenna ring, and the message says "START PREVENTED SEE MANUAL". I got in today just before noon.
      Hey Mike, no problem. Your guys certainly tried and I enjoyed looking over the cut aways! On my car that is a good thought on the antenna ring. Thanks.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 Volvo S60 T5 Platinum AWD, Crystal White Pearl/Beechwood, Sport Package, Climate Package
      2009 Outback XT, 5 spd, Blue with Black, 84k (the wife's ride)
      1995 Ford F250, 4x4 off road package, (In Storage during winters, very nice condition)

Scanning the car with VIDA gave me some interesting informations. There were, of course, a TON of codes because of all of the missing "stuff" on the right side of the car, but the important codes that I noticed both were CEM codes indicating that there was no communication with the ECM or TCM. I checked both the ECM and the TCM to make sure they were seated properly in their housing and tried again. Same codes. This would explain why I'm getting no gear signal from the TCM. Additionally, the gear selector will move to any position, including out of park, without having to put your foot on the brake.

VIDA is having no issues reading information from the car, but it wont communicate with the ECM or TCM. It leads me to believe their is either no power to the ECM/TCM box, or the CAN lines to the box are damaged. The codes that it is throwing are the codes which would indicate that the ECM and TCM are completely missing.
      Did you have a chance to verify the ECM and TCM were functional before you installed them? Also did you have a chance to check the voltages and signals at the connector to make sure they were all correct?
      Never thought the following would be required; I have never performed any service nor have I been employed directly or indirectly for Volvo or any of its subsidiaries, nor any Volvo affiliated dealer Anything that I post should be considered CONJECTURE from the view point of "How I, raymansean, would do things; not how you should do them!"

Quote Originally Posted by raymansean View Post
      Did you have a chance to verify the ECM and TCM were functional before you installed them? Also did you have a chance to check the voltages and signals at the connector to make sure they were all correct?
      I didn't verify their functional status, but that is my next step. I am also going to check the sockets for power and ground. I noticed that the main ground wires for the ECM and TCM were not connected to the ground bolts near the fender and I thought I had it. However, I connected them and it changed nothing. I have spent the last few days going over the wiring diagrams and I basically have the entire electrical system committed to memory at this point. I'm hoping to spend some time messing around with it tomorrow. I don't believe this could be causing the issue, but I am going to change out the BCM with the one from the donor car. It still has the original one. Normally the BCM doesn't make a difference, but I may as well try it anyway since I have it.

All of the relays and fuses that provide power to the ECM and TCM seem to be fine as the other systems to which they provide power are working properly. I am just going to check the pins in the sockets and check all of the connections between the fuse box and the computers, as well as the bus connection with the CEM.

I may be off base here, but isn't there an issue with using modules off other cars? Could that be why it's not working correctly?

Fantastic series, love seeing this and kudos to you for having the passion to make this happen!
      2013 S60 T6 AWD/Grey, 2007 C70 6MT/Magic Blue (Koni FSD, Stoptech/Akebono, Elevate exhaust, smartop module, IPD rear sway/links, more to come...), 2006 XC90 V8/Graphite, 1980 242 GT (previous: XC70, 850GLT, 244 GLT. Parents cars: 244 GLE, 244GL, 123 GT, P544)

Quote Originally Posted by francisd View Post
      I may be off base here, but isn't there an issue with using modules off other cars? Could that be why it's not working correctly?

Fantastic series, love seeing this and kudos to you for having the passion to make this happen!

The modules communicate with each other to verify that they are all originally from the same car. They ignition key immobilizer must also match. This car was missing every single module except the BCM when I bought it. I replaced all of the modules with modules from the same XC90 T6 donor car. Since they're all from the same car, the car essentially now "thinks" that it is the donor car. Since all of the modules are from the same car, they have no way of knowing they're in a different car since they check the coding against themselves. I went this route based on the suggestion of Xemodex, and they know more about this stuff than anybody.

When I scan the car with VIDA now, it comes up with all of the information that applies to the donor car. The DIM is even displaying the odometer reading from the donor car.

Question: If when the ignition is switched to position 2, and the "Check Engine" light comes on and then goes off, does that mean that the ECM must be powered up?

Quote Originally Posted by francisd View Post

Thank you very much for your kind words. I don't ever intend on selling this one, so I can work at it slowly and methodically. I've got the rest of my life to get it working 100%!

That said, I'd probably sell the other cutaway for the right price to the right buyer. I bought the "shell" cutaway not even knowing that the more complete one existed. It's really amazing considering I drove over 8 hours to get the shell one, and paid more for it when the "complete" one was only about an hour away and I got it for less money. I just didn't know of its existence until after I bought the other one. Given the opportunity though, I still probably would have bought both of them. They are wonderful conversation pieces in my car dealership and they have already sold countless XC90s for me. They're an incredible sales tool for my staff.

Question: If when the ignition is switched to position 2, and the "Check Engine" light comes on and then goes off, does that mean that the ECM must be powered up?
      Hmmm, I thought the check engine light stayed on until the engine started. Go check another vehicle to see if the light goes out. None the less, it seems you have some things communicating enough to light the lights.

You mentioned the DIM, did you by chance also use the DIM from the donor?

Also was the donor involved in a serious accident? If so maybe you need to go through the procedures to let the computers know the vehicle has been repaired. I know that on some BMW's it is quite the process to reset all the interlocks that initiate after a serious accident.

Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by raymansean View Post
      Hmmm, I thought the check engine light stayed on until the engine started. Go check another vehicle to see if the light goes out. None the less, it seems you have some things communicating enough to light the lights.

You mentioned the DIM, did you by chance also use the DIM from the donor?

Also was the donor involved in a serious accident? If so maybe you need to go through the procedures to let the computers know the vehicle has been repaired. I know that on some BMW's it is quite the process to reset all the interlocks that initiate after a serious accident.

Just some thoughts.
      The DIMS are not vehicle specific. We swap them between cars all the time at work as it's a lot cheaper to replace a malfunctioning DIM with a used unit. The codes I'm getting are simply showing lack of communication with the TCM and ECM. It's not showing any codes for crash detection or anything of the sort. I'm just wondering if it's the ECM itself which sends the signal to activate the check engine light. I wasn't really meaning to focus on the behavior of the light, but moreover, if the light comes on at startup as usual, does that mean the ECM is turning it on?

When you say "tried again - same codes" I assume that means you actually cleared all codes in VIDA and they all got re-thrown? (Delivery tab...)
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      When you say "tried again - same codes" I assume that means you actually cleared all codes in VIDA and they all got re-thrown? (Delivery tab...)
      Exactly. The codes come back instantly.

I finally got ahold of the proper wiring diagrams for an 03 XC90. I was going off of diagrams for a similar model. I'm going to start going through the diagrams bit by bit and verifying connections, grounds, an canbus signals to see if I can find where the fault is. That's basically the point where I am right now.

Strangely, the main ground wires by the fender for the ECM and TCM were disconnected. They appeared to have been disconnected for a very very long time as the bright yellow paint on the bolts flaked off badly when I unscrewed them to reattach the grounds. Prior to that, they looked untouched. I have no idea what was up with that, but they're connected now and it made no difference either way. I just wanted to add that detail. I know I mentioned those grounds above.

Another oddity is that the car features a starter interrupt unit which is in the rear cargo area under the floor. It features a key that can be switched on or off. When it is off, it is supposed to prevent the car from being started. It's made so that way the car's systems will all work and allow people to "play" with the car in an auto show setting without worrying about them starting and driving around in the car. I should probably start looking at how that's wired up as well. Perhaps that has something to do with the disconnected grounds in the front of the car. Maybe it interrupts the ground to the computers, however I would think it would make a lot more sense for it to interrupt the ground to the starter.

The wiring in the rear of the car is also somewhat different than a standard XC90. There are two large harnesses which are not present in any other XC90 i've seen. The 220vac to 12vdc power converter module plugs into these harnesses to power the car's systems. They are factory style harnesses. I'll take pictures of all of these things so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm referring to.

Great thread and I too love cutaway views of stuff. I hope you get to solve the non start issue. You mentioning the starter interrupt in the rear would for sure prick my curiosity on if that was an issue for your problem. I briefly considered that the Auto models have a lock out cable from ignition switch to selector stick and wondered if that was a simple cause too. But I guess that's purely mechanical?

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and pics

Mark

Is that an svx in the background? I miss my svx. I totally regret selling it.

Hi itwontstopsnowin, Do you know the part # for the side rear mirror?
      08 V8 Sport 108k

There's a cut-away Volvo sedan at Suburban Volvo of Troy in Michigan.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black Sapphire OSD: March 2005
      CB bearing fixed at 72,000 miles. Currently: 100,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by cedarholm View Post
      There's a cut-away Volvo sedan at Suburban Volvo of Troy in Michigan.
      I actually mention the Classic Red S60 cutaway at Suburban Volvo in Troy earlier in this thread. I have been to visit it and have tried to buy it. They want to keep it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MYsweet08 View Post
      Hi itwontstopsnowin, Do you know the part # for the side rear mirror?
      Which side rear mirror? I'm not sure in what context you're asking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ou2mame View Post
      Is that an svx in the background? I miss my svx. I totally regret selling it.
      Yes it is! It's my 1992 SVX. It has 59,000 miles and stays in my showroom except for the few days a year that I drive it. I'll be showing it this coming weekend in Carlisle in the invitational section. It'll be on display in building Y if you're going to be in the area.

It looks even better with a bike on the roof, too! My quest to outfit it with every accessory is almost complete. I have entered to run it in a parade in August, so my goal is to get it up and running by then. After showing my SVX at Carlisle this weekend, I plan on focusing back on getting it running.

[B]
      A big milestone on the way back! Is there a more appropriate way to hit a quarter million miles???:

This one, Driver side
      08 V8 Sport 108k

Quote Originally Posted by MYsweet08 View Post
      This one, Driver side
      I got the entire mirror assembly from a junk yard in isreal. I suspect you shouldn't have any trouble finding the blind spot mirror glass on ebay.

Yes it is! It's my 1992 SVX. It has 59,000 miles and stays in my showroom except for the few days a year that I drive it. I'll be showing it this coming weekend in Carlisle in the invitational section. It'll be on display in building Y if you're going to be in the area.

Is that converted to stick? I had a shop convert mine, after they rebuilt the 3rd tranny in 15k miles. I kept blowing 2nd gear.

Its such an odd car, I had one for 6 or 7 years. Even the dealer didn't know what to do with it half the time lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ou2mame View Post
      Is that converted to stick? I had a shop convert mine, after they rebuilt the 3rd tranny in 15k miles. I kept blowing 2nd gear.

Its such an odd car, I had one for 6 or 7 years. Even the dealer didn't know what to do with it half the time lol
      Yes. I converted it to stick a few years ago when it had about 50,000 miles on it. The original automatic transmission was still working, but I knew it wouldnt last much longer than that. I've had this SVX for about 8 years, but have owned multiple svxs since my first in 2001.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast