Door unlatches while driving
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Door unlatches while driving

Twice this week while driving, with top down, the passenger door has unlocked and unlatched itself. I see the warning message on the dash message screen and my wife in the passenger seat hears a ka-thunk which is apparently the unlock/unlatch. The safety latch prevents the door from swinging open but it is unnerving, to say the least. The first time was three days ago and I accounted for it as simply a door not fully closed when entering. Now I know that it is something else. Both times with top down and both times after going over a road bump. Not too much of a bump. Passenger door only. I had already scheduled the 37.5 service for tomorrow so they will definitely hear from me on this but my guess is that "unable to duplicate/no bulletin" response. I checked the web and there are only 3 other examples I could find of people reporting this kind of incident. Any ideas here?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you're lucky, the car might have stored a trouble code or two.
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.
      http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc0511129.jpg

weird. hope they find the cause... but it sounds like the latch needs to be replaced.
      Last edited by jschinito; 01-22-2015 at 06:21 AM.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 1960 Studebaker Lark used to do that...but the door would fly open!!!
      Hope you get it squared away forthwith, STAT, directly and ASAP!
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2015 FIAT 500L Lounge Grigio Chiaro...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Common known issue. I think it should be the source of a recall ... but it isn't. The dealer will "fix" it with some carefully placed grease. Happened to both of my doors at different times. After the "fix", voila!

Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      Same here with my 1963 VW Karmann Ghia. It was my first and last used car... IAE, boy, are we dating ourselves!
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, 20" Rims
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Seashell/Beige, Platinum, BLIS/CTA, Front Seat Heat, 18" Titania Rims, Urbane Wood Trim
      Past: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      Same here with my 1963 VW Karmann Ghia. It was my first and last used car... IAE, boy, are we dating ourselves!
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, 20" Rims
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Seashell/Beige, Platinum, BLIS/CTA, Front Seat Heat, 18" Titania Rims, Urbane Wood Trim
      Past: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      Yes we are, my first car was a red '68 Karmann Ghia. After awhile, my driver door was the same way.

tarhoosier, let us know how that turns out. As you remember, yours and mine are almost identical given the mods you have done, I have 49K on mine however and as of yet no problems with the door latches but it only goes around the block once a month in the winter for the most part.
      2011 C70, Flamenco Red, Dynamic Package, Climate Package

deleted double post.
      Last edited by Kirk Mitchell; 01-23-2015 at 06:22 AM.
      2011 C70, Flamenco Red, Dynamic Package, Climate Package

Thus sayeth the Volvo dealer

Service advisor says he and technician have never heard of this issue. This is from the invoice:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      C STATES PASSENGER DOOR UNLOCKED AND UNLATCHED WHILE DRIVING
      FSU COMPLIMENTARY SOFTWARE UPDATES - ESTIMATED
      VALUE $165.00
      289 CPC 0.00
      1 8691431 SERVICE 2.0 UP

door lock
      Check operation of all doors lock and windows operation. check dtc,
      a fault arose one time. the rear window or lock did not respond to the
      ddm or pdm.
      performed free software 8691431

__________________________________________________ _________

Also tech turned seat heater from 0 to 1

I have an OBD reader and there were no faults just prior to driving to dealer yesterday.

I have had my 2006 C70 since new and never had this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by casique View Post
      I have had my 2006 C70 since new and never had this issue.

Then there is this:

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-x...g-twice-66826/

Quote Originally Posted by tarhoosier View Post
      Twice this week while driving, with top down, the passenger door has unlocked and unlatched itself. I see the warning message on the dash message screen and my wife in the passenger seat hears a ka-thunk which is apparently the unlock/unlatch. The safety latch prevents the door from swinging open but it is unnerving, to say the least. The first time was three days ago and I accounted for it as simply a door not fully closed when entering. Now I know that it is something else. Both times with top down and both times after going over a road bump. Not too much of a bump. Passenger door only. I had already scheduled the 37.5 service for tomorrow so they will definitely hear from me on this but my guess is that "unable to duplicate/no bulletin" response. I checked the web and there are only 3 other examples I could find of people reporting this kind of incident. Any ideas here?
      Hey Tarhoosier - looky here:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...r+open+warning

Door latch(es) replaced under warranty. No problems since then. I did get Volvo's Regional Tech Advisor involved. Good Luck!
      Mine: 2008 C70 M66 OSD Kaixen HID SmartTop
      Hers: 2005 V50 T5 AWD OSD
      Dogs: 1990 VW Syncro Westfalia Camper

Looks like a common hardware component failure ... just not to the point where the door opens all the way. With all the shared parts across the line .... well ... its sort of expected we would not be the only ones. C70 probably has more chassis flew but my occurrences happened with the top up.

About two weeks ago this door unlock and unlatch happened two times in 40 minutes during the same drive. Neither person exited the vehicle during that time, only a stop to open and close (firmly) the door. This set off alarms for me since the previous visit did not do the trick. I went to my dealer, University Volvo, Charlotte, and explained the situation. The service manager said it might take a few days and Volvocars US would be consulted. She assured me that something would happen with the car. Today I learn that Volvo approved replacing the latches on both doors. This means pulling the door panel and I am glad I took photos of the door panels before I left the car with them, just in case there is a question of prior condition. They will drive it tomorrow with top down, per the requirement of the Volvo consultant, and then I can have it Monday. Eleven days later. The XC 80 they gave me as loaner is nice but way more vehicle than I want.m I have to slide out of the seat when I exit and wait for my feet to strike the ground as I descend.
      Special thanks to Tomkat for his advice and assistance in dealing with our common issue. What can I do for you, Tomkat?

The XC 80 they gave me as loaner is nice but way more vehicle than I want. I have to slide out of the seat when I exit and wait for my feet to strike the ground as I descend.
      I am certain you had either an XC60 or XC90 as a loaner, but nevertheless you have nicely articulated what I loathe about SUVs. I figure if I wanted a GD truck, I'd buy a truck -- but I hate trucks. I understand that they do have their purposes, but IMHO they should not be used as passenger cars.

It enlarged itself as I was typing.

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      I am certain you had either an XC60 or XC90 as a loaner, but nevertheless you have nicely articulated what I loathe about SUVs. I figure if I wanted a GD truck, I'd buy a truck -- but I hate trucks. I understand that they do have their purposes, but IMHO they should not be used as passenger cars.
      Personal tastes. That's what's great about this country.
      2012 red c70. Polestar

Special thanks to Tomkat for his advice and assistance in dealing with our common issue. What can I do for you, Tomkat?
      NP Tarhoosier. Glad I could help. I've had no reoccurrences since Sandberg Volvo replaced the passenger door latch on the advice of Volvo's Regional Service Technical Advisor. Paying it forward...this forum and community have been very helpful, informative and supportive.
      Mine: 2008 C70 M66 OSD Kaixen HID SmartTop
      Hers: 2005 V50 T5 AWD OSD
      Dogs: 1990 VW Syncro Westfalia Camper

I'm having a chronic occurance of this now on the passenger door, three times today alone. Will be visiting the dealer soon to have it rectified. I'm not sure how much responsibility they will want to have for an out of warranty car though.
      2013 S60 T6 AWD/Grey, 2007 C70 6MT/Magic Blue (Koni FSD, Stoptech/Akebono, Elevate exhaust, smartop module, IPD rear sway/links, more to come...), 2006 XC90 V8/Graphite, 1980 242 GT (previous: XC70, 850GLT, 244 GLT. Parents cars: 244 GLE, 244GL, 123 GT, P544)

And I have the opposite problem on the passenger door for the last 6 months. 90% of the time, it fails to unlock regardless of what I do.

I checked http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues for several years and other Volvo models and found several complaints. Not enough to trigger recall, apparently.
      Also mentioned several times at other volvo forums including
      http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...door+latch+c70
      Plus two more comments at the first page of that UK site more recently. It is surely a design or manufacturing fault.
      I believe the safety nature of this issue is such that Volvo should resolve it. I contacted volvocars.us by email at the same time I contacted my dealer and I am sure they followed the progress with the dealer, especially as the tech left in my car (by accident) several pages of his online contacts with the volvo regional tech assistance regarding this. They first suggested aligning the door and lubricating the catch but all was well there beforehand. Replacement of both door latch mechanisms, not just the offending one finally occurred. Note that this required two weeks of time though the loaner was nice.
      As an aside, I had my car in for a service this week and the loaner was super new, 8 miles on odo and just off the truck. As I drove home I noticed the clock on the dash was wrong then realized that it was on Goteborg time. How new is that!

Had the door unlatch issue happen for the first time today. 2010 C70 with 70k + miles. I'd like to notify Volvo so they are aware of the continuing problem.

I'm hoping the local dealer will take care of this under some warranty.
      2010 C70 T5 Ice White w/ off-black interior
      2015.5 XC60 Bright Silver, T6 Platinum w/ off-black interior now with Polestar!

My entire driver side door lock assembly was replaced last week, two days before my extended warranty expired. Like I said, I got locked out of the car whereby my keyless entry failed on both doors for the first time. Usually, it's the passenger door that I cannot unlock from inside. So, not sure if the problem is related, but it's fixed now. Got a brand new loaner too. Nothing like a new car!

Took the car to the dealer and they found no codes. They took the door panel off, and checked the cables and connectors. The also checked the striker and latches. They want me to make sure the door actually unlatches and not just throwing a warning if it happens again.

More to come (I hope not)

Here we go again. Passenger door unlatched while driving alone in the car. Took it to the dealer last month and they worked on it but found nothing. I guess it is time for me to call the zone rep because dealer said it would $600-700 to tear apart the door and start replacing items.

Sure sounds like a serious safety issue to me!

The problem is easily solved. Basically the latching mechanism is coated with a grease during manufacture that over time hardens and prevents the door latch rotating fully. The door appears fully closed but the latch is actually not fully rotated to its lock position. The fix is to simply spray a paraffin based lube into the door latch and manually work the latch til it clicks positively closed. You will need to hold the door handle open whilst some one else sprays and works the lock back and forth. I had this issue on 3 previous volvos. My car a 2010 C70 was so gummed up with grease I used almost a litre of degreaser to get the lock working again. Do not let Volvo talk you into replacing locks when all you need is £1 of paraffin to fix the problem.

3rd time for the unlatching C70 passenger door. Volvo has agreed to cover the cost of repair at a Volvo dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by russcannell View Post
      The problem is easily solved. Basically the latching mechanism is coated with a grease during manufacture that over time hardens and prevents the door latch rotating fully. The door appears fully closed but the latch is actually not fully rotated to its lock position. The fix is to simply spray a paraffin based lube into the door latch and manually work the latch til it clicks positively closed. You will need to hold the door handle open whilst some one else sprays and works the lock back and forth. I had this issue on 3 previous volvos. My car a 2010 C70 was so gummed up with grease I used almost a litre of degreaser to get the lock working again. Do not let Volvo talk you into replacing locks when all you need is £1 of paraffin to fix the problem.
      I just found this thread (should've posted here instead of resurrecting that other old thread). Did anyone try this? I would think that a silicone based spray (PB blaster) might also do the trick, in if fact this poster is right (but only one post on SS...)
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar
      polestar+ performance upgrade

I can only hope it is so simple. Yet to become unlocked (first) and then unlatched (second) suggests something more to me. I had both door latches replaced under warranty and there was no mention of gumminess etcetera in the tech notes to Volvo US service Center, several pages of which he left in my car when I came for it. This is NOT the communication that should be printed and left for a customer.

I can only hope it is so simple. Yet to become unlocked (first) and then unlatched (second) suggests something more to me. I had both door latches replaced under warranty and there was no mention of gumminess etcetera in the tech notes to Volvo US service Center, several pages of which he left in my car when I came for it. This is NOT the communication that should be printed and left for a customer.
      It was for me. Happened to my wife while she was driving home the '08 M66 I picked up last spring while I followed her in the '13, then again to me on several occasions the following week (in the '08). I doused both locks with silicone spray and worked the mechanisms several times as described above; haven't had an issue since. Never been an issue in the '13, but it won't freak us out now if it does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I squirted a lot of silicone blaster spray into the latch mechanism in the door with the handle open and closed, and so far so good. Will post again if it resurfaces. Only issue is some dirty drip runs on the plastic skirt beneath the door, need to wash the car soon...
      regtor

Happened to me quite a few times, with both top up and down.
      Really like to know the reason.

It's been over a month since I sprayed the latch mechanism and so far so good. I used PB blaster but I'm sure any silicone spray will work, you just need to free up the mechanism. The explanation below makes some sense to me after taking a close look at how the rotating latch and locking mechanism work. And yes, it was covered in a very dirty grease.

Quote Originally Posted by russcannell View Post
      regtor

May 7, 2017
      I had the same problem on my rear hatch of my Vanagon Westy. Using the automatic locks would not allow the rear hatch to lock correctly.
      This went on for 2 years. I got sick & tired of this pain in butt, took the latch cover off (very easy) and sprayed silicone in the latch mechanism.
      It had solid hardened greased caked on the mechanism, works like a charm now. Concerning C70's it must be worse living in winter climates.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis
      1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements