SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What other cars did you look at before you purchased?

17K views 94 replies 49 participants last post by  madmike 
#1 ·
I find it interesting that the S/V60's seem to have a wide list of competitors. Personally I looked at the following cars:

VW Golf R (almost put money down in order to get on of the first ones)
Subaru STI (My wife said that it looked like a car 12 yr olds have posters of)
Audi S3 (Didn't like the look and there was more value on the Golf R, as the cars were similar)
Audi A4 (Looked and felt a bit dated)
BMW 328i GT (Interesting, I really like hatchbacks - my favorites were some of the Acura Intergra's I have had)
MB C400 and C300 (very very nice, but the S60 T6 AWD seemed to offer better value at the time)
MB GLA (With the AMG package I looked at, it was a bit to "boy racer" - like the STI)

....and after 5 months I don't regret my decision to buy the S60, I think it was the perfect choice :)

#2 ·
Love hatchbacks as well. I would probably get the Golf R if I were in the market, and they don't try to gouge me on the price :thumbdown: My wife always wanted a Volvo so we didn't shop any other cars for her. The S60 was the ticket, and we are both very happy with it, especially the memory seats! I don't have to screw around with the seat controls every time I drive her car. :cool:

#3 ·
I considered a BMW 328xi Wagon, but it would have cost me a huge premium ($8,000 more) to get the same options that was equipped on the V60 R-Design I ended up buying. I also toyed with the idea of an X1/X3 as well but once again I would be paying a premium for less/same equipment that the V60/XC60 came with. I think I made the smart choice ;)

My wife cross shopped a lot of different models before she chose the S60 T5 AWD. I remember we looked at the Lexus IS250 AWD, Audi A4, MB C300 4Matic, and BMW 328xi. She couldn't come to the terms of paying so much more for those models when her Volvo was just as nice and came with more standard features for a lot less. It came down to the MB C300 4Matic Sport (Jupiter Red) and the S60 T5 AWD Premier Plus, but the payments were very far apart from each other.

#4 ·
VW CC: Test drove twice. I liked the looks and the fact it came in a manual transmission (no sunroof with that though). Could not get over the turbo lag. Engine felt too puny from standstill
Considered an MB C class but (a) it is too common and (b) I had an older MB at the time and wanted to move away from the brand and (c) fuel economy. I Still think they are very nice.
Acura TSX: Looked great but I did not like the interior or the buzzy 4-cylinder engine.

I really only stumbled on the Volvo S60. I was very impressed with the looks and power. I was sold instantly.

#5 ·
BMW X1 (really underrated car but didn't want the repair bills and options too pricey)
Subaru Outback (great vehicle, couldn't get past the looks)
Subaru Crosstrek (another great vehicle felt cheaper interior and didn't care for ride too much)
Mini Countryman (too small, felt it lacked longevity - get sick of kitsch after bit)
Audi AllRoad (not that great of a vehicle anymore imho concerned again about repairs)

And because I'm an Ex Jeeper:
Jeep Cherokee (Worried about transmission issues and overall quality felt $40k was too much for Trailhawk trim)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife already has one its a great car and I love the Pentastar - I was looking at Diesel with 600 mile range and offroad package decided I wanted to feel more connected to road)

V60 because after a test drive both my wife and I were convinced it was the right purchase. It was an unusually easy decision. I might have gone with the XC70. I did not know about wife's bun in the oven and room is quite a bit better but the one I looked in 2014 at seemed dated. Space has been only real negative with V60 with new daughter and large dog.

#6 ·
I was looking for the best fitting new AWD performance sedan for me and along with the s60 RD I was between the Evo MR and an S6 but in the end it was a pretty easy decision. The Evo's are done and the overall quality, luxury and durability couldn't compensate for the incredible performance. The Audi surely fixes all those concerns but also would've cost a significant amount more and I got everything I was looking for with the RD while staying a bit more exclusive (plus my wife has a c30 RD so I got the added loyalty discount). Very happy with my purchase, makes those daily GWB commutes just a little less aggravating lol

#7 ·
After 9 yrs of 2 Audis, NO MORE.

GTI, Ride seemed stiff. Plus it was last gen when I looked, Sept 2013 I got the S60.
ATS, steering felt twitchy, dash to Buck Rodgers
A4, just had to try,
BMW X1, liked the power, ride, tuning possibility's etc, but the whole IP, dash looked REALLY old.
Wanted a premium car only Volvo, BMW and Caddy dealers in my home town so MB, Lexus, Acura all out. The S60 with sport package is much better then without but after 16 months 16K miles even with IPD bar & H&R springs I need something else in the sup dept. Maybe coil overs. Otherwise pleased. I like the T5 growl and cheaper gas. Love the color combo of Power Blue with Beachwood!!!!

#8 ·
oh yeah the Allroad, TSX and VW CC other cars that fit to be compared.

I too stumbled upon Volvo, even though I pass a Volvo dealership to get to my MB dealer it never came to mind... My father, who's had several Volvo's mentioned it and the rest is history

#9 ·
BMW 335xi (Everyone and their brother has one around here)
Ford Taurus SHO (I have no idea why, it's way too big...but the ecoboost 6-cyl sounded like a good idea)
Audi S4 (Fast. Too expensive.)
Subaru WRX hatch (Didn't seem like enough car for the money. I could get a brand new WRX or the RD as CPO for the same price - went with the RD)

#10 ·
MB C300 4Matic(2014) - Really liked this one, but didn't feel it was dramatically different from my S60 and was not near as good of a value.
MB CLA 250 - Didn't like this one at all. Rough ride, no headroom in the back and small trunk.
BMW 320i xDrive - Very nice ride, similar space to the S60, ultimately to techy and focused on complicated electronic solutions that aren't needed but are expensive to fix (ex.gear shift).
Mazda 6 - Road well, didn't measure up in refinement to the others on the list, dealer experience ruled it out immediately.
VW Passat - Nicely built, good quality, was a larger car than I needed and didn't have the fun to drive factor.

After 11 months, I'm delighted with my S60. The color I chose is fairly uncommon, which I like and it's got a sporty, elegant look and is extremely comfortable daily driver.

#11 ·
MB and BMW, seriously.

I have VW to thank for the S60. First noticed it after walking to the dealer next door while killing time waiting for my VW to be repaired yet again. Also when I learned how valuable a free loaner can be :thumbup:

#12 ·
I had five Subarus before taking the Volvo plunge. I looked at many of the same cars.

1. Subaru STi: Really like the car, but couldn't get passed the "boy/thug racer" image the car has.

2. Audi A4: Quality issues scared me away, especially with 2.0T engine, which is also anemic.

3. C300: They are EVERYWHERE!

4. 3-series: See #3

5. Nissan 370z: Impractical as an everyday driver and RWD would mean going no-place in snow and ice.

#13 ·
My last car was a Subaru and I was planning on getting another Subaru. However, I hated the new models and just could not get myself to spend money on something I was not wild about. So I started looking at the Acura TSX and TL when a friend suggested a Volvo. Volvo was not even on my radar. I test drove both the TL and S60 and there was no comparison. The S60 was so much more fun to drive and much more comfortable!!! The rest is history and I just keep finding more things to love about my S60!

#14 ·
Agreed. I was a Subaru enthusiast since the early 90s when I bought a 93 Legacy wagon. When I started looking for a car last year around this time I naturally looked at Subaru first. I just hate the new design of the Legacy and, as I mentioned, the STi is too much boy racer. Unfortunately, my fiancee and I were in a serious crash in her C70, which saved our lives and we walked away with only minor bumps and bruises. That was a huge selling point for me in deciding on my S60, which I love. I just had a K-PAX exhaust installed today and it sounds fantastic, not to mention a little extra hp and torque.

#16 ·
I think we are seeing a shift in thinking that will help Volvo long term. I'm sure there are studies on this, but here is my take.

Cadillac's recent product is very likely their best ever. I have driven and rode in a CTS and ATS as well as a few years ago a DTS and CTS-V. The current CTS is out and out fantastic and I never considered it and never test drove it because I knew it wouldn't work. The problem facing Cadillac is the excess the boomers displayed when they bought a Cadillac. It was the ultimate status symbol for that generation of Americans. The newer generations including my own (gen Y) shun that kind of symbol. We want to be respected but more for our well thought out choices than because we have the most impressive car. Generalizing here but I think we are less show-boaty than our parents.

I think this is truly why Subaru is doing so well. Marketing is very to the point and it projects a lifestyle choice of outdoorsy, dog loving, etc. The product is value and consistent(AWD across platforms, boxer engines). The CEO around here drives a Subaru Outback. Gen X. If I had a Cadillac I would be making a statement that I wouldn't want to make. Volvo is the carmaker that defines safety and rational choice not excess. That kind of thinking is boring to some but I have a ton of fun in my Volvo at the same time that I keep a low sensible profile.

#17 · (Edited)
Hmmm...

Part of what sold me on the V60 was Overseas Delivery. Scheduled to get it in less than three weeks!

That said, my current car is a bit of a unicorn: a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon Limited 5-speed (I think around 2,000 GT Wagon 5-speeds were imported). Love almost everything car, but it's getting up there in both miles and maintenance costs (just had a broken door handle replaced last week along with new rear brakes, and yesterday the check engine light came on :rolleyes: ). There's one thing I really hate about the car, however, which is its miserable gas mileage (about 16-18 around town, never cracked 25 on the highway) and premium is required, not just recommended. So while I still wanted decent performance, mileage had moved way up in importance.

So here are the cars I looked at, and why I ultimately dismissed them:

--Subaru Outback: This was a strong contender, but I really wish Subaru offered a non-Outbackized Legacy Wagon. Neither need the raised suspension, nor want the accompanying handling compromises. Also, the 4-cylinder is adequate (at best) in such a large car, but bumping up to the 6-cylinder raised the price significantly, and decreased the gas mileage.

--BMW 3-series wagon, Audi A-4 Allroad. Couldn't justify the extra expense.

--Mazda CX-5. This was the only CUV I realistically considered, since it has a reputation for excellent handing (for a CUV) and gas mileage (for a CUV). In the end, though, it remains a CUV and I prefer cars.

--Acura TSX. Would have had to go used at this point, and was put off by its need for premium fuel.

--VW Jetta SportWagen TDI. It was at the end of its lifecycle, and the final build run must have been DSG-only since there were no manuals on the lot.

So in the end, the gas mileage of the T5 Drive-E, coupled with its tidy size for a one-child family, ultimately won out (I estimate we'll save over $1k/year in fuel bills). Plus, we were able to arrange a trip to Scandinavia during my daughter's spring break to get the Volvo.

I am a bit concerned about the cargo capacity since we road trip during the summer, but figure I have a Thule top box we can always use if necessary.

Quite frankly, if VW hadn't followed its years-long and quite idiotic (IMHO) policy of introducing its models in the US long after introducing them in Europe, there's a very good chance we would be in the soon-to-be-on-sale Golf SportWagen TDI instead. Yes, we could have waited a few more months, but when we were looking VW still hadn't announced when the SportWagen would come onto the market and we had to decide quickly if we were going to make overseas delivery work).

Looking forward to the end of the month!

#50 · (Edited)
Hmmm...

That said, my current car is a bit of a unicorn: a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon Limited 5-speed
Ha, we are/were in the exact same boat :) Fellow unicorn driver here - actually mine is arguably even rarer: 2006 Legacy GT limited wagon 5sp (Canadian model only as I think US only had the manual in 2005). Exact same experience as you - loved the car overall but have had/having the same issues. It's still probably has some good life left in it (just over 100k miles at this point) but I'm wanting to get something newer.

It's down to the V60 and the aforementioned newly-released Golf Sportwagen. The Golf is now in dealerships and I'm going for a test drive next week, most interested in the 1.8Tsi petrol w/5-speed combo. The Golf will no doubt be great, but I suspect the V60 is an order of magnitude better, it certainly felt like a more premium product when I test drove the T5 drive-e and T6 awe last summer.

Also test drove a lot of the same cars you did and came away with a similar take on most of them. I was actually most impressed by the Forester XT - the engine/CVT combo was fantastic, BUT i could not get past the tippy feeling of even an allegedly "sporty" crossover CUV.

Question for you: did you consider the 5-cyl T5 AWD? Was having AWD not a priority? I know the mileage is weaker, but I figure premium fuel vs/ regular might mitigate a lot of that advantage.

Anyway congrats on the Volvo and enjoy!

#57 · (Edited)
Us too. We had known for a while that our oil consumption issue on the Audi was heading for a catastrophic end. We did not want to go with MB or BMW, after our experience with the Audi. An article in Motorweek (maybe?) put the S60 r-design against the MB C and it won, which caught my attention. I had talked casually about Volvo with my wife, and after the Audi dealer addressed our oil consumption issue for the third time, with the same fix that didnt work twice before, we drove straight from the Audi dealer to the Volvo dealer, test drove it, and bought it the next day.

#19 ·
Downsizing out of a Dodge Durango (kids are growing up). Ordered one of the last v60 RDs with the i6.

Looked at:

BMW 3 wagon (diesel and gas). Too pricey, don't like BMW "image"

MB e wagon. WAY too pricey, didn't want to do MB used (been there, done that, still hurting in the back right pocket).

Audi A4 wagon. Oh wait, they turned it into a crossover. Never mind.

VW sportwagon. Had a previous gen. Wife currently has a golf TDI. Want something a bit faster/more lux.

The only thing I even drove was the volvo. Only choice to make was engine and color.

After I tried the i6 and got the spousal approval for the rebel blue, it was a done deal. Now if they'd just put it on the darned boat. It's been sitting at port in Sweden for 6 days!

#20 ·
BMW X1. Too expensive and pretty ugly.
VW Passat CC. Couldn't find the 3.6 4motion one anywhere (it'd have to be used)
VW Tiguan. Cute, fun, but also expensive for what you get.
wife banned Audis.
Ford Focus ST but I was only allowed to get a new car if she could drive it (automatic only)...
Ford Fusion Titanium (glad I didn't)...and it doesn't fit in the garage...too long.
Ford Taurus SHO. ditto.
So really it came down to S60 or nothing!

#21 ·
It was either a Porsche Macan or a V60P, depending on availability. I'm sooo happy it worked out to get the Polestar. I was not even considering anything else.

#22 · (Edited)
Audi S4 (too pricey and too heavily optioned)
Audi S3 (wasn't yet available)
VW GTI (I didn't want the made-in-Mexico new version)
VW CC (awful seating position and no power)
BMW 428 and 435 Gran Coupe (too pricey and wasn't readily available)
BMW 328 (just didn't woo me, especially for the price)
BMW 228 (fun to drive, but not really an "adult" car)

Gave up on the Japanese cars because they offered only ugly cars that had no soul. Except for the Mazda6, but I never will get one again because of their failure to inform owners of a transmission defect. The small Caddillac's interior quality was awful (when it wasn't tacky).

#23 ·
Previous vehicle was the 2013 Outback 3.6R. It's a very nice car - great engine, lots of room, goes through any amount of snow as if the roads are bare, BUT isn't all that great to look at and doesn't handle particularly well.

I wanted another "wagon" and drove the 2015 V60 RD, 2015 Audi Allroad, and 2015 BMW 328xi Wagon. It was an easy choice - V60 RD. It fit me the best, had the best engine, had the best interior, had the best exterior styling (although the BMW is awfully nice), and the Volvos aren't nearly as pretentious (in my opinion).

Since I've owned it I've seen only one other one on the road...and that's cool too. Tonight while driving home from work I passed someone driving a newer S60 and was given a "thumbs up" by the driver as I went by. I wonder if Audi or BMW owners do the same to each other...

#25 ·
Considered the Audi Allroad and Q5, BMW 335GT, Cadillac 3.6 Wagon, Acura TSX wagon, infinity FX35, Volvo XC60 amd XC70.

#27 ·
I wanted a wagon. That eliminated all the crossovers and left MB, BMW and VW. I won't buy German for fear of maintenance costs. That left Volvo. I initially wanted awd but figured id use the better fuel economy of the Drive-E more than the awd. I tested 2 Drive-E models. One with sport package one without. Liked the standard seats better and get a hell of a deal on a demo model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.