SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

License Bulb lights

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  kmah888333 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm looking to replace the dull halogen license plate lights with led ones. I was wondering what size the bulbs should be and if there are any LED's that you could recommend.

Thanks

#3 ·
You don't mention the model or year of your car. The manual will tell you which bulbs are there normally and you can then find LED replacements for them.

For some reason, I have problems with the right (passenger side) license plate light in LED. It keeps failing. Didn't have problems when it was incandescent.

#5 · (Edited)
Wow, what a nice solution. Volvo should OEM these! They do look very bright. Do you know if they come in a 4000k color? Anything else just looks like a mod to me.

#7 ·
Sylvania has direct replacements in LED available at the parts store (AutoZone, etc...) and they cost about $13 each.

#8 ·
I had this problem too but with both lights. It could be a bad connection (LED lights can short out quite easily with a bad connection). Use electrical tape to hold the bulb into place. Put the cover back on and turn your lights on, then press on the cover multiple times to see if it keeps failing. You should also do this for the other side. Volvo says that the incandescent bulb is 36mm when in reality it is actually 37mm. Although 1mm isn't that big of a difference, it's still enough for some LED lights like mine to spin around while the car is in motion.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I got something crazy bright like this:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/5W-CREE-Error-Free-LED-License-Plate-Lights-p/10-107.htm

800 lumens with a heatsink and error free. I don't know of anything else that is brighter. I got it over 1.5 years for my 2012 R-Design and is still pretty bright.

Before that, I had a regular error-free LED with no heatsink and went out in a year. I think the heatsink probably helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.