SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Odd sound after shut-down...

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mdkf 
#1 ·
This evening I went into my garage about 20 minutes after getting home and heard a noise coming from around the cowl/windshield area of my S60. It sort of sounded like the HVAC fan but not sure. I left the garage and came back a few minutes later and it was still humming away. The noise stopped as soon as I opened the driver's door. I'm a very attentive person and this is the first time I have ever heard this noise. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Cooling down the computers.

#5 ·
It is the HVAC fan, there are times where it blows like this to get rid of humidity in the system so you don't get mold.
If it is happening often, just leave your windows down, that way when it happens you can poke your head in or arm and verify it is blowing through the vents, rather than doing something else.
If you open a door, it will shut off right away.
At one point the owner's manual mentioned this (P2 S60), not sure if they still do in the P3 manuals...?

Sorry folks, nothing to do with cooling the turbo or computers.
The ECM does have a fan but it is tiny and quiet and if it did run after the car was off you would never hear it.
If it is the radiator fan blowing, then it's trying to cool the engine after the engine is shut off but this only happens if you are absolutely flogging the engine and then immediately park it. The radiator fan will stay on. It doesn't "come back on later" like the HVAC fan does.

#6 ·
It is the HVAC fan, there are times where it blows like this to get rid of humidity in the system so you don't get mold.
If it is happening often, just leave your windows down, that way when it happens you can poke your head in or arm and verify it is blowing through the vents, rather than doing something else.
If you open a door, it will shut off right away.
At one point the owner's manual mentioned this (P2 S60), not sure if they still do in the P3 manuals...?
Do P3's actually do this? I knew P2's did and always thought that was a great feature. I do remember reading a thread here a while back stating Volvo stopped this feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.