SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Brought S60 for Service, Dealership Damages Car

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Nickshu 
#1 ·
Hi all, so yesterday I brought my 2014 S60 in for its 10,000 Mile Service. It was business as usual and the car was there for a few hours. I go to pick up the car and it looked great, they even had it washed for me. Upon arriving home I decided to inspect the car to make sure everything was in top shape. I do this every time the car comes back from any type of service just because of the few bad experiences I've had in the past with my 2012.

So I walk around the car and everything seemed fine until I notice this chip on the side skirt of the car. I didn't think much of it at first, but then noticed the door was slightly off as well. Could be seen from certain angles. I look underneath the car and find that the side skirt is completely cracked and bent. :mad: Then I knew something was really wrong.

It seems as though when they lifted the car up for service, they did something wrong and it messed up that one side of the car. It certainly wasn't me because the car has never been lifted before nor have I hit any monster sized pot holes that could possibly cause that type of damage.

I'm furious at this point considering I take excellent care of my car. The fact that the dealership thought that I wouldn't notice and not tell me is very unprofessional and upsets me even more. I'm 90% sure the average person that brings their car in for service would never notice but I know my car very well. We called service back and we are set to bring the car in on Saturday for them to take a look at it.

Any advice on how I should approach this situation? The dealership needs to repair what they did and should also throw in a free gift for the inconvenience :rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
Because you left the service center it's he said/she said and you likely are at the mercy of the dealership.

Sucks, but that's the way the real world is. I would let them offer what they feel is a reasonable solution before making demands, become emotionally detached and you will get a much more reasonable solution IMO.

PS. Dealer "washes" are more like "clear coat scratchers" than anything. They aren't doing you any favors ha.

Kevin

#5 ·
PS. Dealer "washes" are more like "clear coat scratchers" than anything. They aren't doing you any favors ha.
I agree with this but with non-metallic black paint, there isn't many options to avoid it. At this point I gave up trying to prevent any swirls on the clear coat. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Been there! I had my car in for an oil change (long time ago), it was only a couple years old. When I picked it up everything was normal. I paid the bill. AFTER I PAID THE BILL, I was told that they had damaged the car. So we go look at it. They never really said what happened, but it was pretty clear the driver door was left open and the car was raised and the door hit something. To then make it worse someone had closed the door which then damaged the rear door. I was actually more upset that they did tell me before I paid my <$100 bill (shouldnt they have thrown that away).

Anyway, they immediately said they would fix it and to their credit they did. I understand stuff happens, but you are right the mechanic that caused the damage needs to speak up. In my case it was clear that I was going to notice, so they really had no choice but to say something. Is funny that was a dealership that sold Volvo, Austin Martin, Jaguar, and Range Rover as I recall. So I started going over my expertise of body work and telling them that I would not except my car back until I was happy with it. The manager said, look we have repainted $250,000 cars, your Volvo will look great. So I decided point taken, and it did look great. That was at least 10 years ago and the repaint looks just a good as the rest of the car.

Anyway that sucks that someone didn't own up to it, good luck to you.

#4 ·
I recently changed my service to a closer dealer and that dealer walks around the
car with you and writes down any observed problems (I also know where every
scratch is so I point them out). Sounds like something we should all ask for since
it is best for both parties.

It does look like a lift accident or an incorrectly applied road jack -- but we have no spares :)

Does anyone else drive the car? If so, might check with them just in case.

I would expect the dealer to fix it but would not expect any additional
compensation for the inconvenience. Mistakes happen and the difference
between a good business and a bad one is often how they are handled.
Hopefully they will realize that and you can come back with a happy
follow-up report and a fixed car.

#7 ·
It does look like a lift accident or an incorrectly applied road jack -- but we have no spares :)

Does anyone else drive the car? If so, might check with them just in case.
My car came with a spare tire but it hasn't been used. No one else drives the car so there isn't a chance it happened before hand. At this point i'm positive this happened when they lifted the car. What I don't understand is how they could get that wrong especially since its a common thing when servicing a car.

#6 ·
Hello, I've bought two cars here in Long Island New York one subaru and 2 volvos and the dealer experience has not been great. One of the experiences that I had was that the dealer told me to come pick up the car when it was not ready. They tried to make it up to me by letting me keep the loaner an extra day and they would drop off my car at my house. So I agreed to it. When they delivered the car to my house they gave it to me with a chipped windshield and tried to get it by me. I was furious! Contacted the dealer and they paid for a new windshield (volvo). The other things have been minor (dirty interior, unable to solve an existing starting issue << both subaru) but needless to say they gotta get it together. I'm not sure what part of New York you are in but if you are in Long Island there is one dealer here closer to me that in my experience has a good service department. You can PM if you want to know the name of the dealer since I don't want to name drop.

#8 ·
My dealership is located in Long Island as well. Your experiences sound very familiar to mine of the past although I will say service in general at this dealership has been improving. Don't want to throw out names of the dealer just because my issues only come from their service dept. Will PM you the name.

#12 ·
This kind of thing is the reason I always do a SLOW walk around when picking our cars up after service (or when getting a rental car). Last year I picked up momma's car, after signing the paperwork as they drove the car up, I did my normal walk around and the hood looked like someone set a metal box on it and pushed it back and forth severely scrapping the paint. No one admitted knowing what happened but the service manager, to his credit, agreed to make it right without any squabble. The repaint made the hood look brand new.

Always, always, always do a walk around before leaving the dealership. Stuff happens and too many times no one fesses up to it.

#14 ·
I hear ya. The last time my XC90 was in for service, they improperly installed the seal on the oil filter housing. I lost ALL of the oil from the engine between driving my car home from the dealership and then to work the next day. I have called them 4 times about it now (over the past 6 weeks) and haven't had a return call. The first time I called, the service writer just offered to transfer me to parts so that I could order a new oil filter housing seal. No remorse. At first I was OK. Mistakes happen, and I corrected the issue by changing hte filter and housing seal myself and refilling the car with oil. It seems to be running OK despite being run out of oil (a testament to Volvo's Engines), however now I'm pissed that they won't return my calls or acknowledge that this happened.

#16 · (Edited)
Update

Showed up at the service center this morning. The manager was waiting for us. The dealership took full responsibility (As they should) for their mistake and will be repairing the car. The manager was not happy when he saw the damages but made sure that he did the right thing. Although there was no excuse for whoever lifted and damaged the car to not come forward and state what happened, I'm glad management stepped in and made sure everything was taken care of. They even put us in an S40 R-Design loaner which I thought looked pretty nice. (Didn't want the base S60 they had on the lot)

Just hoping the car comes back in perfect condition with no other issues in the future. This car has been trouble free and it needs to remain that way.

#17 ·
Glad to hear they took the high road. I'm driving a Genesis now because my local Volvo dealer where we have purchased many many Volvos has, in my opinion, the worst service experience. I regularly get greasy fingerprints on headliners and pillars. Once had a hole in the door card. Lights not re-connected. Breaking one thing when fixing another. While I absolutely love Volvo and what it stands for (reflects me) my after sales experience ranks at the absolute bottom of the barrel. I always inspect my car before I drive off and would recommend doing the same, even checking oil levels!

#18 ·
Glad to hear they did the right thing. Even though you left with the car, that damage location/appearance would be tough to replicate other than on a 2-post/4-pad lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.