SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Oil filter location

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  scoutv50 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Looking to do an oil change on my V60 T4 soon (engine code B4164T). Never done an oil change on this car before so before I order the correct parts, could anyone tell me where the oil filter location would be on this particular car? While looking underneath the hood I found a white cylinder which looks like an oil filter (see pictures) but I'm not sure whether this is the oil filter or not. The funny thing is, this white cylinder is located on the side of the engine (pretend that its a nail going into a wall) rather than being right above your head next to the sump like some older S60s.

First time posting a photo here (using Tapatalk at the moment) so if the photos didn't turn out right/if you need more photos please let me know. I'm looking to do this oil change in a few weeks or so. I also have some part numbers from my previous service record when the dealer replaced the oil filter, will update this post tomorrow when I find the appropriate part (may assist in helping me to confirm whether the mystery white cylinder is the oil filter).

One last thing, I'm looking at buying some ramps to do this oil change. Can anyone recommend some ramps at a good price and as a bonus, whether they're available in Australia? (I live in Sydney but as long as its in Australia then that's fine).

Thanks in advance, hopefully I can get an answer soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
"oljefilter" is "oil filter" in Norwegian and the part number should be right above that (you can see part of it in the photo), if that's any help to you...

#3 · (Edited)
None of that was any help to me.

Edit: part number for the oil filter according to service records is 31339023. For the sump plug it is 30711617.

#4 ·
Looks like the 1.6L turbo engine (that is not available here in North America).
This thread has a nice photo and it looks like that is the oil filter in front.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?134854-Comparison-of-the-1-6-and-2-0-GTDi-engines

Seems variations are found in a few cars. Maybe their are oil change procedures
for some of the other cars that have a version of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine#1.6_L_EcoBoost_I-4

I use Rhino ramps for my S60. They are rated 3000 pounds each side. Made in U.S.A.
Company name is Blitz (I guess Rhino Ramp is a product). Not sure if available
worldwide. I do inspect them closely before I use them and also put a floor jack
under the car raised to be just under the engine. Just in case. Also, clearance between
the ramp and the car's lower trim pieces was tight (those two pieces that face forward in
front of each tire). They did rub a bit coming off the ramps as the car bounces on the
suspension a bit right as it comes off. (These seem to be air guides and are
basically plastic L brackets riveted onto the lower plastic in the front air guide).
So the approach angle of the ramp is pretty important. I think they are 17 degrees.

P.S. Does Polestar make a tune for your engine?

#5 ·
Thanks for that, krn. This is the 1.6L turbo engine that you're talking about, didn't know that it wasn't available in North America (I thought it was available on the S60 at the very least!). Did a Google Images search on the Volvo part number and it indeed is the oil filter! This design is not the typical paper one that was avialble in P1 cars, it is an actual filter that looks a bit like a steel wheel. So that means that I'll have to replace the whole unit instead of just the little paper cylinder like I used to.

People have been saying that Rhino ramps aren't that great due to slippage but I will take a look at them soon. I'll have to get low profile ramps though - I get what you mean about that part in front of the wheel (not really a mudflap). I've scratched and scraped those from going over driveways and I'm trying to remove them, maybe when the car is lifted I'll be able to see.

Personally I would actually buy ramps and a jack + stands but obviously I can only afford one at the moment, and only one will be used! Ramps are more "universal" in my opinion because I can hold my neighbour's Lexus RX350 with them (as long as it can support it) whilst a hydraulic jack may not be able to hold over 2.5t.

Polestar makes a tune for my engine which I got when I bought my V60. Its amazing!

#6 ·
Ok now another question came to mind.

What socket does this take? I don't really want to buy one of those adjustable wrench things. I found an oil filter socket kit online but a bit pricey seeing that I only need to change one filter.

Won't be able to check the car until later this week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.