SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2012 S60 T5 Push Start Issues

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  krn 
#1 ·
I bought my first (of hopefully many) Volvo about 1.5 months ago (owned a 2005 Saab 9-3 previously, love the Swede quality), 33,500 miles on it and have had no issues until this morning. I went to start it in the garage, pushed the button and heard the engine click once but wouldn't start. Tried again, same result, third time I held the button in and it started without any issue. The car starts fine when the button is held down, but I was under the assumption it was supposed to be a push (and not hold) start. I've searched the forums and have found a couple instances of relatively similar issues without much in the way of resolution or cause. All recalls, if any were necessary, had been taken care of previously. Anybody have any idea what causes this and if I should get an appt at the local dealership?

Thanks all, hate that this is my first post, though I've been an observer for a while now.

#2 ·
Great question...thought I'd seen the answer to your issue posted before. Think it had something to do with percent of battery charge or something along that line. ? I know, no help.

But I did have a similar problem with our '12. Reader's Digest version...starter engaged while motor was chugging and chipped flywheel and starter teeth. Engine had to be pulled to fix the flywheel. Starter replaced. Very ugly deal. Never had another issue once both were replaced. Through it all, nothing was ever diagnosed with the push start itself.

#7 ·
Indeed, you don't have to hold the button to start the car. Just a simple push.
Is the battery covered under Safe and Secure? Your car should still be under warranty.

Oh and congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

#9 ·
>> Is the battery covered under Safe and Secure?

Yes ( for U.S. market). S&S covers everything except tires. If the car was originally sold (not leased)
then Safe and Secure transfers to the new owner.

Basic warranty transfers, too. I would think the warranty would cover it even if Safe and Secure
did not transfer.

OP can send a message to Volvo here including the VIN and ask them about
remaining warranty and Safe and Secure coverage:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/forms/owner-questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.