SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

sounds when engine turned off

13K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  kr99 
#1 ·
i have the V60 CC - 5 cylinder turbo - I get a distinct metal on metal sound for a couple of seconds after I turn off the engine - the best way to describe is a high pitch (low volume) metal on metal sound - do i need to take it to the dealer? thanks.

#3 ·
Our 2014 5-cylinder S60 has a high pitched electrical tone in the engine bay that continues for a minute os so after shutting down. It also starts when we unlock the car before starting. Could it be that?

#4 ·
This is common (our T6 does this) but I would not describe this as a "metal on metal sound".

#7 · (Edited)
My 2012 T-6 makes the same sound. Hard to describe but high pitch almost metallic like sound. Occurs as you turn off car for a split second. Often wondered about it but always forgot to mention when the car was at the dealer. It appears from everyone's response as normal.
Keep us posted about your experience with the CC. I am close to ordering one.

#10 ·
thanks everyone - it seems to be normal based on the responses - my description might not have been accurate but it does happen when I start the car and apply the brake while backing up and after i shut off the engine.

regarding the CC - i'm loving it - drive it only in sport mode - the car handling improves immensely in sports mode even on local roads - on the freeway it's pure fun. my only regret is not waiting to get one with HID lights and the upgraded music system - a car with my specs was at least 3 months away according to my dealer when i got this in feb - i needed a car immediately.

#8 ·
The AC compressor solenoid makes noise once the car is turned off for a few minutes. Kind of like a buzzing sound. I've had mine replaced. You sure the other noise isn't just exhaust contraction? like a metallic "pinging" sound?

#9 ·
Probably a purge valve on the evap emissions canister. Last several "modern" cars I have had did this, varying sounds, but was this part. There are, however, any number of other systems that may have a shutdown feature that makes noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.