SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

So.. I'm finally driving a volvo

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Bmo Pete 
#1 ·
After long deliberations, going back and forth between a number of vehicles (Forester, WRX, Toyota Highlander), planning on doing OSD for a few months, then finding out that we need to get 2 vehicles instead of 1 as we are going to have start commuting (>20k miles/year), my wife and I finally got our first S60. It is a black on black CPO 2013 S60 T5 AWD Premier w/ heated seats w/ only 16k miles and we already love it.

Love the T5 rumble and its pull. I also like the amount of grip this car has, it's a lot of fun to drive! We did a 4.5 hr drive back from the dealership and the S60 proved itself to be VERY comfortable. Seats are great. I averaged 30.4mpg (per car's computer), drivng 70mph majority of the trip. Wish it was more like 35, but I know, it's the cost you pay for having a heavy but powerful AWD vehicle. Will see what happens once I put ethanol free 91 in it. Have I already mentioned that I liked the T5 rumble?? :)

Extended Safe&Secure (7years/100k) cost us $2,995 (comes to 56 bucks per month at 2.99% interest rate). The idea of not having to put any extra money into the car (other than gas and tires) is very comforting, but I'm starting to second guess this decision. I think it's possible to get out & get the money back -- what do you all think?

#2 ·
Congrats! I have hit 34 MPG with the cruise on over an extended highway run of about 4 hours. We debated extending the warranty back at 24k, for about what you paid, but ultimety decided against it since the car has been dead reliable, and the long history of reliability with the T5. Statistics are also in our favor, since most people never recoup the money. Others will be along shortly, some with actual facts about them using the Volvo warranty past what they paid, others with just speculation (like me!:)). Ultimately its your money and your decision, assuming its Volvo VIP.

#3 ·
Congrats! I have hit 34 MPG with the cruise on over an extended highway run of about 4 hours. We debated extending the warranty back at 24k, for about what you paid, but ultimety decided against it since the car has been dead reliable, and the long history of reliability with the T5.
Thank you! I would just like to point out that I get extended warranty through Volvo Certified Pre-Owned Program (7yrs 100k). The above cost is for Safe&Secure, which is basically wear & tear maintenance program (so 40k through 100k service)

All: Another random question -- how exactly does safe&secure work? Let's say I'm low on wiper fluids and a lightbulb burns out at the same time --can I just run over to the dealership and have it topped off / changed? Or would they only do it during a scheduled maintenance? I have a Volvo dealership literally 4 minutes away form my work and "free stuff" is always nice haha.

#5 ·
I would not even hesistate to keep the S&S coverage. We beat that on our XC60 in under 50k miles! Does it cover wear items like it does on our '10 XC?

#6 ·
OH and they replaced wipers, lights, pretty much anything that came with the car that wasn't working was replaced on the spot even with no reservation for the smaller stuff or they set us up with a reservation the next day for the bigger stuff and overnighted the parts.

#9 ·
...my wife and I finally got our first S60. It is a black on black CPO 2013 S60 T5 AWD Premier w/ heated seats w/ only 16k miles ...Will see what happens once I put ethanol free 91 in it. ...Extended Safe&Secure (7years/100k) cost us $2,995 (comes to 56 bucks per month at 2.99% interest rate). The idea of not having to put any extra money into the car (other than gas and tires) is very comforting, but I'm starting to second guess this decision. I think it's possible to get out & get the money back -- what do you all think?
Congrats on the hot girl in the black outfit. She loves her premium Texas Tea and runs like a beast on it--enjoy the massive torque steer;). The peace of mind is worth the $2,995, which, now that you have it, you won't need...:facepalm:

#10 ·
--enjoy the massive torque steer;).
He has the AWD version, torque steer is a non-issue; at least for us it is not on our T5 AWD.

#13 ·
Your 2013 already has Safe and Secure for 3 services (if it had been leased originally) or 5 services (if purchased originally) in all likelihood. Demos may be different as may former rentals. Call the dealer or Volvo NA (with the vin) and figure out exactly when Safe and Secure ends without the extension. I also suggest you read exactly what Safe and Secure covers in your paperwork - it is not bumper to bumper on wear items. Then figure out what the specific service is going to cost - the dealership can quote you a 60k service and a 70k service, etc. Then make your decision! Good luck.

#14 ·
My FWD T5 (5 cylinder) has some torque steer, though I wouldn't call it scary. The thing that is more annoying is wheel spin off the line, especially on anything less than smooth, level pavement, and really is the only thing that would have made me prefer the AWD model. That said, once moving it pulls hard and is an absolute joy on long trips. I recently had a trip where most was with a 20 mph tailwind and got nearly 36 mpg, so the car is very capable of exceeding its EPA ratings. Congrats on the new ride!

#17 ·
Congrats on the new car.

IMO you have the perfect car combo (Real T5 w/AWD). Gotta be a fun setup. Enjoy it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.