SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Yokohama YK580

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fifth Set 
#1 ·
Thought I'd throw another option out there for tires. I replaced the OEM Continental ContiproContact tires recently with Yokohama YK580 (235 / 40 R18) and am really pleased with this new tire. It's always hard comparing an old set of tires to fresh new ones, but I'd say the Yoko's do everything as well or better than the Continentals. My main gripe with the Continentals was with grip in the rain. I never felt confident with them as they'd slip and slide around corners. The Yoko's grip very well in the rain (just drove through some rain this afternoon) as well as dry. These tires are very quiet, and I get good feel for the road initiating turns, etc.

This is a "W" speed rated tire with a load rating of 95 XL which matched what came with the car originally. 45,000 mile "warranty". I got less than 20,000 miles out of the Continentals replacing them with 4/32nds of an inch of tread remaining. I bought the Yoko's at Discount Tire which had them in stock at the store @ US$158/ea. If you need a tire right now and don't want to wait to order from somewhere, these are a good option.

#2 ·
I dunno, I had a couple sets of the predecessor on my old Volvo and found them to be quite ordinary. Long life but not sporty at all and not that quiet either.

Discount loves to push these. I think they are exclusive and probably have a big profit margin.

As your post suggests, our odd size means that most higher quality tires need to be special ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.