Koni FSD/Eibach Springs on D4 AWD R Design - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Wow cab. Thanks for the detailed update. Sounds like when I make the switch - I will hire a shop to do it. I don't have the tool depth that you have.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the details, cab.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
      2016 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design Platinum + BLIS & Heated Seats, Osmium Grey
      2008 Acura TL Type S (Wife's)
      (PAST) 2004 Subaru Forester XS

Thanks for the great write up guys. May do this mod to my non r t6 polestar. Way too much roll at speed right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought Penguin's factory rdesign suspension from him. Took to the shop and they ended up putting on the front springs upside down! So, back to Volvo for a fix.

Rented a spring compressor for the weekend to tackle the rears. I saw it mentioned those were pretty quick. Any tips?

Am hoping you guys are right that the rdesign rears are the bigger delta than the fronts...with rdesign fronts, touring rears and iPD sway (on factory 18" wheels), it's definitely tighter and more fun than stock, but I wouldn't say it's where it should be yet. Still doesn't "glue" to the road at speed like ze Germans do. We're getting there though!

Next after this will probably be wheels and tires...Penguin, want to sell your Ixions too? Haha.

This was a Volvo dealer who swapped in the R-Design suspension? Unbelievable!

Nope! The Ixion wheels have snow tires on them and will still be on through this month.

I know there is a lot of discussion whether to run 19" or 20" for the sake of ride comfort. We (wife included) really like the ride with 20" wheels. Although many have complained about the OEM Pirelli Scorpions we have no complaints about their performance or handling characteristics. Coming up on 19k and still liking the suspension changes. Great ride!!!
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46 (SOLD)
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

No, took it to a local indy who reversed the springs, then Volvo of Bellevue took care of the fix. The guys there are AMAZING, 5***** for that dealership!

Has anyone used the FSD Koni on the factory R-Design springs?
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Synesis View Post
      Has anyone used the FSD Koni on the factory R-Design springs?
      What are you asking?

I was on Heico springs and stock struts about 8 months before changing over to Koni FSD. If you look at post #21 in this thread you will see my comments about the difference I experienced with the Koni FSD. I think you would have similar experience on the OEM springs.

FYI... Tire Rack has a 20%-off sale on them now but have limited supply on hand.
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46 (SOLD)
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

I read the threads on the FSD shocks, but it seemed everyone was using lowered springs, or softer springs from the base model. I was wondering if anyone with an XC60 R-Design had only changed the shocks to the FSD but kept the factory RD springs. I'm trying to determine how of the change in ride/handling characteristics is due to the shocks, and how much is due to the other springs used. Its a pretty expensive gamble, so I'm trying to gather al the info I can. thanks
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

Just a quick update. Back in late May I FINALLY went ahead and swapped the rear "touring" shocks on my wife's 2012 XC60 RD out for the Koni FSDs. They had been sitting in the box since last Summer (note: I had already done the fronts). As I expected, from a firmness perspective, they are in-between the original RD rear shocks and the factory base touring suspension. They were probably a little firmer than I would like initially, but after 3 months I'd say they have settled in a bit and seam to ride reasonably well (still much better than the original RD rear shocks). This will be the final change in suspension for us unless these guys stiffen up like crazy in the cold in which case I'll just toss the touring shocks back on. So, our journey was:

Front
      Original - RD struts and springs (had these for 3.5 years)
      Now - Koni FSD struts and RD springs (have had these for about a year now)

Rear
      Orignal - RD shocks and springs (had these 90 days)
      Interim - Base Touring springs and shocks (had these 4.25 years...pretty happy overall)
      Current - Base Touring Springs and Koni FSD shocks (had these for 90 days)

I'm sure the Koni's would have worked just as well with our RD springs in the rear, but I wasn't pursuing any increased harshness.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black
      1997 M3 - Alpine White/Black

How are the FSDs in spirited driving? When I changed the OEM S-Line shocks on our old Audi Mk1 TT to FSDs the ride improved markedly in normal driving but were firmer than OEM when pushing things a bit.
      Volvo: 2015.5 XC60 RD Plat. arrest-me red w/ Climate, BLIS & OEM trailer hitch. IPD skid plate & rear sway bar
      Others: 2013 Audi S5, 1957 MG ZB Magnette, 1953 MG TD, 1948 Willys Jeepster, 1935 Ford 5W Dlx Cpe and others

Quote Originally Posted by Azlkk View Post
      How are the FSDs in spirited driving? When I changed the OEM S-Line shocks on our old Audi Mk1 TT to FSDs the ride improved markedly in normal driving but were firmer than OEM when pushing things a bit.
      I think they are a better compromise than the factory R-design setup. Nothing can change the physics of course. This is still a tall vehicle and you can get into trouble with it as the power really does outperform the chassis. Hooining through the um, neighborhood, and on on ramps is still fun and you don't have as much abuse as the RD setup. The front struts made less difference, but overall I'm enjoying the ride. Indeed, in some ways it is better then my P85+ (doesn't transfer as many smaller bumps to the chassis), but in other ways it is worse of course (Volvo bushing compliance seems to be poop). For flat handling the P85+ kills it of course since all of its weight is so low.

In the future I would be hard pressed to choose anything other than factory dampers or Konis for my rides. I now have two positive Koni experiences on two different vehicles and the same using various factory options.
      Last edited by cab; 09-02-2016 at 09:47 AM.
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate

I had a loaner Porsche Cayenne and realized how bad (harsh and poor body control) my wife's XC60 was in comparison, so I had Koni FSDs, new spring seats and strut bearings installed on her 2010 XC60 T6 with 90k miles. I re-used the stock springs, so the only non-OEM part are the Koni's.

Impressions:
      1. For whatever reason, they seem to need a little break-in. They were a bit rough the first two days at times, but really settled down after that.
      2. The faster you go, the smoother they get.
      3. They are sporty handling, but bumps and body control are well damped and the car feels very planted.
      4. They are softer on bumps than the stock struts, yet resist roll much better, just as advertised.

Overall, it still didn't get it to Porsche Cayenne levels, but if the Cayenne is a 10 and before the Volvo was a 3 (they were a bit worn out though), the Koni's make it an 8 IMO. Overall, very recommended.

-AndyW

Andy, did you install these struts onto a non-RD XC60? I was wondering if they were long enough for the extra suspension travel due to the larger ground clearance over the RD version (i believe around 1"). I always thought about putting them onto my standard XC but was not sure they had enough stroke when the suspension was in a full rebound state and at the top of it's stroke.
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie5148 View Post
      Andy, did you install these struts onto a non-RD XC60? I was wondering if they were long enough for the extra suspension travel due to the larger ground clearance over the RD version (i believe around 1"). I always thought about putting them onto my standard XC but was not sure they had enough stroke when the suspension was in a full rebound state and at the top of it's stroke.
      Yes, this is a non-RD and they work great. I just looked at TireRack for RD and non-RD T6, and they are the same part number.

A few more notes about handling:
      1. The car always had a two step set in corners, so I assume the factory dampers were built to be soft for the first bit of travel and then stiffen up after that (which also explains the crashing on bigger bumps). That is now gone with the Koni FSD. Handling is very linear and predictable.
      2. A little more detail on my damping scale (comfort and handling):

3 - 90K miles XC60 T6 (clearly worn in retrospect)
      5 - new XC60 T6 (as best I can remember)
      8 - Koni FSD
      9 - 2011 Porsche Boxster S (my DD)
      10 - 2017 Porsche Cayenne base

6 months later follow up: I've had a lot of clunking in the front end and it turns out that it is the Koni's. There is a threaded collar at the top of the strut body that was working itself loose and once tightened (with channel locks through the spring), the clunks are gone and I'm happy with them again, but really, that shouldn't have happened IMO.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up on that Andy. I'll be sure to look out for that.

Sounds similar to my FSD experience: for the price, not as drastic of an improvement as expected/desired. I thought the FSD would be a good match with the RD springs, but your experience seems to reinforce many other more expert opinions than mine, that the RD suspension components are crap. Still, I'm a bit surprised the front didn't improve more, as I feel the OEM RD strut's are the weakest link, but maybe it's a spring and strut combo after all.

Thanks for the detailed postings!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2