VERY FRUSTRATING Outside Temp Sensor Issue - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Great to see a clever DIY fix?
      Are you certain your "speaker wire" is up to handling the under-hood temperatures okay?
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would have been more impressed if you had used a sensor, a paperclip, and a chewed stick of gum.

^
      <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mR6UXUTcZtI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 177K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      Great to see a clever DIY fix?
      Are you certain your "speaker wire" is up to handling the under-hood temperatures okay?
      Yeah It should be fine. I've used the same stuff in underhood applications before, and I routed through the cowl, out through the battery box, and along the side of the engine bay, so it's not really near anything that gets very hot.

Paperclip fix coming soon.
      2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Polestar + Snabb | 95,000 Miles
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 311,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70 R | 2004 Maserati M128 Coupe | 1992 Subaru SVX
      My XC90 Safety Demo Cutaway Cars

I'd like to add that I drove about 500 miles today and all is well. There was a period where I sat i traffic for about 30 minutes, and the temperature definitely read high, but that's a lot better than having no reading and no AC. As long as the car is moving it's accurate. After sitting for a while, the temperature creeps up (since the sensor is technically in the engine bay), but it goes right back to where it should be as soon as the car starts rolling again. I expected this. What I can say is that the issue is somewhere in the wiring between the ECM and the mirror itself.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 311,000 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      I'd like to add that I drove about 500 miles today and all is well. There was a period where I sat i traffic for about 30 minutes, and the temperature definitely read high, but that's a lot better than having no reading and no AC. As long as the car is moving it's accurate. After sitting for a while, the temperature creeps up (since the sensor is technically in the engine bay), but it goes right back to where it should be as soon as the car starts rolling again. I expected this. What I can say is that the issue is somewhere in the wiring between the ECM and the mirror itself.
      Interesting what you say re the temp reading rising when sitting in traffic. When I test drove last summer my 2010 T6 I noticed a higher reading than what the outside temp actually was... a Volvo person told me that was normal. And indeed it went down almost as soon as I started driving. Have noticed the same at various times since.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestbob View Post
      Interesting what you say re the temp reading rising when sitting in traffic. When I test drove last summer my 2010 T6 I noticed a higher reading than what the outside temp actually was... a Volvo person told me that was normal. And indeed it went down almost as soon as I started driving. Have noticed the same at various times since.
      That is normal. Heat builds up when you are sitting in traffic.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 177K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Bestbob View Post
      If you monitor intake air temperature with Torque or similar, you will notice the same effect only much more so. Sit and idle and IAT will raise up to 140F+. Drive hard while moving, and IAT will stay near ambient. Even on our T6 with 13 PSI of boost, charge air temp (post IC) is still barely above ambient when you're moving, even driving hard.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      Success!

I cut the wires to the sensor just a few inches from the ECM and ran wiring to the front of the car. I placed the sensor inside the very front of the tube behind the grille which provides fresh air to the engine's airbox. It seems to have permanently solved the problem. It immediately started displaying the proper temperature and my A/C is back. I checked it several more times since then and everything is A-OK. I see this as a temporary fix as it's certainly less than proper. I'll eventually have to trace the OEM wiring between the ECM and the mirror and find the problem, but for now I have working A/C and an accurate temperature readout.

I had exactly the same problem on my V70 -09

Did this today. Works like a charm.
      Thanks for the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      If you monitor intake air temperature with Torque or similar, you will notice the same effect only much more so. Sit and idle and IAT will raise up to 140F+. Drive hard while moving, and IAT will stay near ambient. Even on our T6 with 13 PSI of boost, charge air temp (post IC) is still barely above ambient when you're moving, even driving hard.
      Question: If driving at high-way speeds and everything has settled, what typical average delta does torque say between the ambient sensor and the charge air temp (post IC) for your T6?

For example, on my Turbo Optima (2.0L, 17.5PSI max boost), under these conditions I'd see ~15°F difference. Once I did a coolant hose reroute from the Throttle Body, I see a delta of ~9°F. Well worth the simple change. That is with the stock IC.
      2007 S80 3.2L FWD (BD: 11/06)| Willow Green | 218K miles @ 5/2017
      Mods: IPD Alu Skid Plate | 25% tint | Qwik-Valve F104S + ADP-104 | MagnaFlow Mufflers (#11225) w/Stainless tips | GC Edge 0W-40 oil | Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17) on 17" Regor rims.

Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
      Question: If driving at high-way speeds and everything has settled, what typical average delta does torque say between the ambient sensor and the charge air temp (post IC) for your T6?

For example, on my Turbo Optima (2.0L, 17.5PSI max boost), under these conditions I'd see ~15°F difference. Once I did a coolant hose reroute from the Throttle Body, I see a delta of ~9°F. Well worth the simple change. That is with the stock IC.
      It has been a while but I recall it being a single digit difference in Fahrenheit.
      I can probably check again soon.

Are there any instructions on how to replace the ambient temp sensor? The S80 I just bought is extremely inaccurate, saying its 35° when it's actually 55°
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
      Are there any instructions on how to replace the ambient temp sensor? The S80 I just bought is extremely inaccurate, saying its 35° when it's actually 55°
      It's really easy. you just need to pop the glass and cap off of the drivers side mirror and then pop out the sensor and pop in the new one. You need virtually no tools, and it's self-explanitory once you take off the glass and cap.

Hi, I know I'm resurecting an old post but I do have almost the same problem: No more A/C, outside temp showing -40c but going up very slowly until real temp (15 minutes) and Check Engine light. I've read the whole post and it looks like the harness of the car is ready for Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive? On LHD the ambient temp sensor is mounted in the left side Mirror and in RHD on right side Mirror?
      With that problem the harness seems to be the source of the problem solved by connecting a rtd directly to ECM in intake manifold. What if we try connecting the ambient sensor in the passenger mirror? I think that THE FIRST PLACE for the harness to break would be at the door (from the body to the door) where it bends every time the door is opened and closed. Considering the passenger side door works less than the driver's door, why not just swap the sensor position?

I just ordered a sensor for my car, are there any instructions on how to replace it?
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

I just ordered a sensor for my car, are there any instructions on how to replace it?
      On the S60 it's in the passenger side mirror. It's pretty straightforward, the toughest part can be getting the terminals out of the connector. Sometimes they come out easy with a paper clip, I had to try a bunch of special terminal removal tools until my finally came free.

I can't remember all the details but basically: remove door panel, disconnect the connectors, pop of the triangular plastic cover on the inside of the door, remove the side-view mirror (one big bolt) pry the sensor out, deal with the terminals, and reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      On the S60 it's in the passenger side mirror. It's pretty straightforward, the toughest part can be getting the terminals out of the connector. Sometimes they come out easy with a paper clip, I had to try a bunch of special terminal removal tools until my finally came free.

I can't remember all the details but basically: remove door panel, disconnect the connectors, pop of the triangular plastic cover on the inside of the door, remove the side-view mirror (one big bolt) pry the sensor out, deal with the terminals, and reverse.
      Thanks, does anyone know if this process is the same for a P3 car?
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by XC70AM View Post
      Hi, I know I'm resurecting an old post but I do have almost the same problem: No more A/C, outside temp showing -40c but going up very slowly until real temp (15 minutes) and Check Engine light. I've read the whole post and it looks like the harness of the car is ready for Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive? On LHD the ambient temp sensor is mounted in the left side Mirror and in RHD on right side Mirror?
      With that problem the harness seems to be the source of the problem solved by connecting a rtd directly to ECM in intake manifold. What if we try connecting the ambient sensor in the passenger mirror? I think that THE FIRST PLACE for the harness to break would be at the door (from the body to the door) where it bends every time the door is opened and closed. Considering the passenger side door works less than the driver's door, why not just swap the sensor position?
      If ever it could help someone, I worked on my problem yesterday and found that the ambient T sensor was'nt working because the white wire from the white and black and white pair was cut between the door and frame. I cut the wires of the sensor (who was in good condition)in the Mirror, plugged the hole and I connected it directly to the ECM to the white and white/black pair after cutting them from going to the door. I routed the new twisted and shielded wires at the bottom of front grill away from the radiator like on many other cars. I soldered the joints and isolated them with heat shrink tube. It worked perfectly and A/C is back.

If ever it could help someone, I worked on my problem yesterday and found that the ambient T sensor was'nt working because the white wire from the white and black and white pair was cut between the door and frame. I cut the wires of the sensor (who was in good condition)in the Mirror, plugged the hole and I connected it directly to the ECM to the white and white/black pair after cutting them from going to the door. I routed the new twisted and shielded wires at the bottom of front grill away from the radiator like on many other cars. I soldered the joints and isolated them with heat shrink tube. It worked perfectly and A/C is back.
      Did you have to take the whole mirror off to get to the sensor?
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

Did you have to take the whole mirror off to get to the sensor?
      No you just have to remove the glass. It's easy to do. You adjust your Mirror as far IN as possible and you undo the clips (1 or 2 is enough). Keep an eye where the kind of white plastic straps go. Just put them back in the slots at reassembly. You can find many methods if you search on Youtube : Volvo mirror glass removal or something like that. If it don't work after replacing your sensor it's probably your wire like mine. You will also have to remove the Inside door panel to get the connector of the sensor. I've already done that in another V by just cutting the wires and welded them on new sensor with good insulation Much less complicated Don't weld too near the sensor keep 3 to 4 inches.

No you just have to remove the glass. It's easy to do. You adjust your Mirror as far IN as possible and you undo the clips (1 or 2 is enough). Keep an eye where the kind of white plastic straps go. Just put them back in the slots at reassembly. You can find many methods if you search on Youtube : Volvo mirror glass removal or something like that. If it don't work after replacing your sensor it's probably your wire like mine. You will also have to remove the Inside door panel to get the connector of the sensor. I've already done that in another V by just cutting the wires and welded them on new sensor with good insulation Much less complicated Don't weld too near the sensor keep 3 to 4 inches.
      Thank you very much!
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

I did have to remove the entire mirror and take off the mirror cap to get the sensor out
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

I believe this was an issue on my s60, and the Indy had to remove the door panel to get to it? It was in the mirror, as I recall.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2