SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can the R do it, even temporarily?

4K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  BV70t5 
#1 ·
A new job offer has popped up, the catch is it's in southhold CT. It's a 77mi drive each way (154 miles round trip!), hurling down the LIE, over the throgsneck an down 95 to a straight shot there. My question is, will it be reliable/take the punishment of 95 roads and horrible traffic?

If not what would you guys recommend as a beater? I was thinking of a beater or even selling the R and getting a focus hybrid or something (I know how crazy this sounds, however this job is a once in a lifetime opportunity). I need good gas mpg at least till I get situated.

86K on the clock, no issues. All fluids flushed an refreshed except diff fluid.

#2 ·
A new job offer has popped up, the catch is it's in southhold CT. It's a 77mi drive each way (154 miles round trip!), hurling down the LIE, over the throgsneck an down 95 to a straight shot there. My question is, will it be reliable/take the punishment of 95 roads and horrible traffic?

If not what would you guys recommend as a beater? I was thinking of a beater or even selling the R and getting a focus hybrid or something (I know how crazy this sounds, however this job is a once in a lifetime opportunity). I need good gas mpg at least till I get situated.

86K on the clock, no issues. All fluids flushed an refreshed except diff fluid.
It's rough as a commuter car. I was driving 55 miles each way to Boston down 93 and inside the city limits where the roads are awful, 5 days a week. Its doable though but you will be filling your tank A LOT. Thankfully I'm down to only two days a week now though.

#7 ·
My R is my Daily and I drive through Detroit roads every day... only 20 miles each way, but have you seen Detroit roads?!! Keep the R. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.

#28 ·
No doubt.

I had forgotten some spots on the Lodge side roads that were like hitting curbs as you went over them today. Hadn't been on that road in a long time and BAM! Couldn't avoid the one. Missed the other a bit.

Hmmm... this reminds me I need to go check for bubbling.

Pothole season. Not as bad as last year but bad enough...

#8 ·
Considering the carnage that section of 95 did to my R, I'd suggest a beater. Your struts will thank you.

#9 ·
Keep the R, just get a beater to take on the miles.

#10 ·
As others have said, the R can do it, but it may not be be kind to the R. You may want to swap to 17's for the winter to save your wheels from bad roads if you don't already have them. Gas mileage won't be the best, but won't be terrible. I average 19mpg on a mostly highway commute, but it's very congested highway with lots of stop and go. I'm guessing you have a GT, if you have a manual I'd advise getting an auto beater. That much driving in traffic in a manual won't be fun.

That said, I'd stick with the R or a Volvo if only for the amazing seats you'll be spending a lot of time in. Last thing you want is to have back problems from spending so much time in a crummy seat. The R can be a great long distance cruiser.

#12 ·
I have 17's as well with some Ws70s :D

I feel you on the seats too, NO other car has the long distance (Not want to kill everything in sight feel after 2 hours) like a volvo.

How are the 850s on gas? Whats the lowest model XC90 with the best gas mpg?

All down south guys, keep in mind the stretch of 95 I will be traveling is HORRID, not talking little bumps. Talking about potholes 3 - 12 inches deep that for all intensive purposes could flip a car if hit right.

#11 ·
What! The R is a PERFECT daily driver commuter car. I drove it 50 miles each way when I first got it for a job and it was great. It is definitely a highway car, especially with the comfy seats, great stereo, and no worries about the bad turning radius! Plus you're going to be much safer than if you're driving a beater car. It just eats up highway miles. Also, managed 23mpg easy.

Even if the road isn't great, isn't it possible to track a path on it that won't cause issues?

#13 · (Edited)
Yes, but the question is how long will that take....

Another option that I didn't even think about, it's about 45 minutes longer or shorter but far less in cost an wear. I still might get a beater to still in the lot though.

Drive 20 miles east (45-1Hr) -> Port Jeff Ferry (58 Mins) -> Walk to train station (5 Mins) -> Train (14 Mins) - Walk (10 Mins or Uber) [Cost: 17.7$ + Uber 5$] - This is factoring in monthly tickets. Cost is PER DAY.

Driver Direct 76.8 miles (1 1/2- 3Hrs depending on traffic an construction) [Cost, I figure it will be over half a tank with all the stop an go in over 150 miles + Tolls Round trip (24$) = Looking at around 60-70$]

#16 · (Edited)
Yup, otherwise I wouldn't consider it.

Milage calc
Option 1 ~ 40 Miles a day x 5 days a week x 42 weeks a year = 8400
Option 2 ~ 154 Miles a day x 5 days a week x 42 weeks a year = 32340

I don't think the R could handle it at 30000+ a year. If I were to a lease something I would be at the average limit in less then half the year haha.

Cost per month, broken down by averages. Thats not including lunch, I need to start bagging sandwhiches...

Option 1 ~ 563.90
Option 2 ~ 2185.00

I sure will have a ton of write offs...

#34 ·
For about 4 yrs I was driving back and forth to queens putting on about 60 miles for 3 days of the wk. Yes some of the rds sucked horribly but after a while you learn the rd and potholes etc and drive accordingly. The R took it well and I did replace the lower control arms and shocks at around 100k but then most others do that as well. I do have some pretty bent rims now but at this point I have close to 126k on the clock of serious driving lol. I think it comes down to your personal likes/dislikes. I contemplated getting a beater but when you do the math bt cost of buying the beater/maintaining it/insuring it and then you always get the mid itch I would rather drive in the R and be happy, comfortable, and in a much safer car then the beater. The ferry idea sounds good bc ferries don't get stuck in traffic lol. Call me and tell me more about this new job and my R is in need of a good detail!

#17 ·
I was in your situation and bought a P80 car (850 turbo sedan) to save some miles on the R. They can be found so cheap now, it is a smart investment to save the R from the horrid roads.

I get about 26 mpg strictly highway but since my commute is a state highway (multiple traffic lights), I average about 22-24 mpg if I'm a good boy. If I have a little too much fun between fill-ups, I'll get 21-21.5. This is fuel economy in the summer without all the winter fuel additives.

And like mentioned earlier, it's still a Volvo, and the seats are crazy comfortable.

#18 ·
I took a $10K a year hit about 5 years ago to work from home as a systems analyst. Since that time pay raises have more than made up for it, and after doing the math on the savings from no longer commuting or beating on my car daily I realized it more than made up for the hit I first took for accepting a stay at home job.

At this point it would take the cushiest job at a six figure salary to make me drive more than 30 minutes/miles to and from work again.

That being said, if the job pays enough to make it worth your while, enjoy the R on your commute, its not made of glass after all and gets good gas mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.

Unless the roads are full of wheel eating potholes I'm sure the wear and tear on the R won't be that bad and its not like you are wearing out a collectable exotic in the process.

#20 ·
Unless the roads are full of wheel eating potholes I'm sure the wear and tear on the R won't be that bad and its not like you are wearing out a collectable exotic in the process.
Granted, I have awful luck, but this is just from I-95 around Rye, NY. Add a cracked Peg to this - I just don't have a pic.

Lease a base Jetta for $159 per month.

#19 ·
You could also look at a n/a s60. My dad has one and drives regularly from NH to PA (550 miles) and he averages 34 mpg on that trip. The suspension is much softer hand handles bumps so much better than the R that I'm jealous of him when I have to make the drive from NH to PA.

#21 ·
Childs play, lol. You should see the Peg I destroyed... literally split right down the middle of the face of the wheel thanks to our lovely Detroit roads. I have fixed at least 3 Pegs and bought a few as well over the last 8 years I've had the R.

The Driver: You know you are trying to convince yourself to buy a Prius so just go for it. ;)

#22 ·
The Driver: You know you are trying to convince yourself to buy a Prius so just go for it. ;)
Well, I can't lie. If this job does work out the next toy will be electric but definitely not halfassed like the prius. Let's just say it's a little faster then the R ;)

#23 ·
Hell, if I ever lived someplace with roads that bad I'd run some 17" pegs for a little extra safety margin. Then again, I'd prefer to move somewhere where the infrastructure isn't shot to ****.

Seems to defeat the purpose of having a good job if you have to live around and commute through third world conditions all the time. Why not relocate to somewhere nice and get a good job there instead?

#24 ·
Lol, easier said then done. What jobs do you know where you can make up to 250+ at peak partner a year? I know of very, very few.

#26 ·
What caR do you want to spend all that time in? 45,000km/year *4 years so far, and loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's about money and preservation as well. I want to enjoy the R, worst case it will be a semi-weekend car/bad weather car.

#27 ·
Buy an 850/s70 t5 as a beater. They are so cheap these days you can pick them up for nothing. I did the commute for a couple of years 112mi a day.

They way I survived it was to buy a cheap beater Honda civic and put an ok system in it. 44 mpg every single day.

#30 ·
I'm not sure how much car insurance is where you live, but in Michigan, it is very expensive (even for PLPD)... You may want to factor that into getting a DD (cost of the car +Insurance).

I'm a car guy so I can't talk you out of buying another car. If I struck it rich, my garage would be bigger than my house. I'm not talking Million dollar cars either. I'm not that fancy!

Dougy would appreciate this post!

#31 ·
^LMAO

Let's face it, if we are on this forum, we are car guys... we will always try to maximize the fun potential of our rides. I think most of us want to keep our R's as long as possible. I can certainly appreciate not wanting to drive the car down the tubes so maybe The Driver ought to consider an alternate car in addition. Personally though, I'd be racking up the miles on my R and smiling the whole time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.