V60 cross country hitch options and install
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

V60 cross country hitch options and install

Picking up my new cc tomorrow and was surprised when dealer explained Volvo doesn't offer an oem option for the v60 and they (dealer) don't offer install of aftermarket parts. 3500# Towing capacity is a selling point to me in this segment and bought me to Volvo. So this seems like odd choice on volvo's part. Any experience here with specific aftermarket options or tips for DIY install on this model? Any real world insights will be a help to me and those that come after.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have an appointment for a hitch install on my V60CC next monday. The company is using a DrawTight that is the same model that they recommend for the standard V60. They say they may have to cut a small notch out of the lower curtain / panel. The info for the model of hitch came from DrawTight. Also this hitch requires a 2" drawbar.

I am hoping this goes smooth.. not sure how much the CC is different from the V60 wagon...
      SOLD - 2016 XC90 T6 / R-Design / Polestar+ Colours - Crystal White Pearl / Charcoal
      |
      Vision | Climate w/HUD | Convenience | B&W Audio | CarPlay | OEM Hitch | Air Suspension
      Retired - 2015.5 V60 CrossCountry / Platinum / Climate / BLIS - Colour - Saville Gray/ Black
      Long gone - 1964 122S Beige / Red

I (and others here) have a Curt Class III on my s60. I bought it on Amazon, along with the Curt wiring adapter for under $200. It's the same P/N specified for the V60, so I'll bet you a dollar it's also the same for the V60CC. Installed in my driveway in an afternoon using the supplied instructions and info in the threads linked below, works great, no problems. The little notch that has to be trimmed from the rear bumper cover is at the bottom edge, invisible unless you get down on the ground to look on the unpainted part.. If you opt to do this yourself you will need a set of Torx sockets, regular metric sockets, and a torque wrench. I also used a 12 volt impact driver to remove the bolts holding the bumper (not the cover) on. For the wiring you'll also need a test light and pliars. I used the Scotch quick connectors to tap into the tail light wiring.

The car does have a trailer towing mode which can be enabled with a software update and an electronic module which is available in other parts of the world but not the US. In one of the threads below a forum member details how to make this work with a bit of persistence and modification. Might be worth your while if you plan to tow often. Otherwise you can use the Curt adapter and just turn off the parking sensors (if you have them) when you hook up a trailer so they don't bleep at you.

Good luck!

Amazon links:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s01
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s02

Threads to read:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-on-a-2012-S60
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ican-tow-hitch
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...g-for-2013-S60
      Last edited by Northeast; 06-30-2015 at 09:05 AM.
      2016 S60 Inscription T5 AWD Platinum w/Climate and BLIS Osmium Grey/Soft Beige
      2007 c70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:
      2013 S60, 2003 xc70, 2002 v70, 1998 s70

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies! DrawTight looks like a good option.

Northeast, I hadn't thought about interactions with any of sensors for features like park assist or collision avoidance. I'll ask about that when I pick up so thanks for flagging.

I've installed a few hitches over the years and if I am confident I can pull the bumper cover without issue, I may give it a try. The wiring harness for all my subaru's have always been plug and play. I've read that the newer cars with LEDs need to run a line from battery as there is not enough current in the line to power a trailer (though my trailer does use LEDs as well). If that is actually the case it may be a toss up of who would likely take the time to do a good job, me or a paid installer.

Thanks for the links. I plan to post back with experiences after install.

You may be able to use a power source already in the cargo area rather than running all the way to the battery. In mine, there was a 40Amp circuit pre-wired for a trailer requiring nothing but a fuse, but I think I read somewhere here that this was missing from some of the newer cars. Check the manual for the fuse box in the cargo area. If there's a 12 volt socket in the area you might be able to tap that too.
      2007 c70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by 64'122S View Post
      I have an appointment for a hitch install on my V60CC next monday. The company is using a DrawTight that is the same model that they recommend for the standard V60. They say they may have to cut a small notch out of the lower curtain / panel. The info for the model of hitch came from DrawTight. Also this hitch requires a 2" drawbar.

I am hoping this goes smooth.. not sure how much the CC is different from the V60 wagon...
      Hi 64'122S, I have a new V60CC as well and I want to put a hitch on it. I asked my dealer's service dept for a quote and they told me they don't have it/couldn't do it. So I wondering if you don't mind, who are you using to install yours? (I installed a hitch myself on the wife's XC90 but it didn't require removing the bumper or cutting anything which I'm not keen on doing myself)

Update on this. I went with the curt hitch 13266 from etrailer.com and the 118647 harness (etrailer has a PDF of the harness install sheet for the v60 posted online). I just tackled the hitch today. It took me an hour with some help pulling the bumper cover and bolting on the hitch (be prepared to do some juggling reassembling the bumper bar with hitch and spacers). Being timid about pulling the sides of bumper facia away from wheel well slowed me down out of fear of snapping something. Once I worked up the confidence to give it a good firm tug all went easy from there.

I won't rehash the excellent thread linked above detailing the s60 install, but here are a few highlights specific to those with the v60/XC...

I found my t25 torx driver had clearance problems in the wheel well and improvised with a bit intended for a drill driver.

The XC has an extra peice of wheel trim that is best removed before tackling the fascia. Pull outward from the bottom working up. Bemindful of the tab at the top that connects the two sections of wheel arch trim. This trim is held by tabs only as seen in image...

After removing the bumper fascia (undoing screws in the wheel well and bottom of bumper and pulling free) I had to deal with the wiring for the parking assist. The connector is taped tight but there is plenty of slack in the harness. It helped to have someone hold the bumper while I wrestled with the connector, but one person can do this...

I bolted up the hitch with the spacers and opted not to cut the heat sheild. It deflected somewhat with contact from the hitch and it subsequently required a little more finesse and pressure to align the bumper cover up with the bottom fastners...

I test fit the fascia and decided not to trim. It's a tight fit but looks good...

Looking at the pic above and the one below (as well as the actual car), I suggest instructing an installer to trim the heat shield but not the bumper...

Last edited by Pghgreg; 07-05-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: fixed images

Looks great, not sure if I want to do myself. BTW I looked at the Volvo accessories site on Friday (since we got a 15% off coupon in the mail then) and there were no hitches there then (plus my dealer couldn't find anything in their system 2 weeks ago, and then I happened to go back and look at the Volvo site this morning and found this:
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...0AWD/Automatic
      What do you think? Worth it to go that route if I don't want to DIY?

Quote Originally Posted by Look586 View Post
      Looks great, not sure if I want to do myself. BTW I looked at the Volvo accessories site on Friday (since we got a 15% off coupon in the mail then) and there were no hitches there then (plus my dealer couldn't find anything in their system 2 weeks ago, and then I happened to go back and look at the Volvo site this morning and found this:
      Wow! I wonder if a person could put this on a regular V60 if you were to add the rear styling kit to make it like the CC.
      2015.5 V60 T5 AWD. Savile Grey, Beechwood. IPD Sway Bar.

Nice. That looks like it would have been worth the wait if it will be available this summer.

This option appears to attach at the frame rail. I noted in my owners manual that the max tongue weight for any set up was listed as only 165lbs. The technical for this set up claims 350lbs. Wonder if the attachment point can make that big a difference or if the manual used more generic/conservative info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghgreg View Post
      Update on this.
      Nice job!
      2007 c70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Look586 View Post
      That's a really slick setup, I'm glad to see it available in the US. A great alternative for sure, but I bet it's over $1000 to install, far cry from the aftermarket solution.

I also noticed it says it works with DSTC to combat sway, but I wonder if that also works with any old towing situation. Sway must look just like oversteer to the sensors right? Not that I've ever experienced it, having faithfully followed instructions to get a good balance on the trailer.
      2007 c70 T5 Magic Blue
      Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast View Post
      That's a really slick setup, I'm glad to see it available in the US. A great alternative for sure, but I bet it's over $1000 to install, far cry from the aftermarket solution.

I also noticed it says it works with DSTC to combat sway, but I wonder if that also works with any old towing situation. Sway must look just like oversteer to the sensors right? Not that I've ever experienced it, having faithfully followed instructions to get a good balance on the trailer.
      Oh yeah, I have no illusions that this option won't be $$, so if I go that route, I'll need to get sign off from the CFO....

Nice setup and thanks for the picts. Looks like Volvo added a bunch of holes to the fenders to mount the wheel arch trim. bummer for those that were considering adding them to a regular V60.

I ordered the Curt hitch last night from etrailer.com Hopefully the shape of the KPAX rear muffler does not interfere with the hitch. I'll post picts once its all together.

Wired up the harness last night and can confirm there is still a fuse box under the tray for the spare that has a couple of options for tapping for power. No need to run to the battery. None of the side trim panels needed to be removed (just the threshold). Plenty of room inside the drivers side taillight access panel to store the trailer harness when not in use. The harness install sheet that comes with the kit is helpful, but the install guide for the new oem option was also a handy reference for confirming power source options.

All said and done, not too bad a diy project for those with basic skills and tools (including a multimeter if not running to the battery for power). A novice should allocate an hour or two for each step - hitch and harness installs.

Appreciate this forum as a source of information an encouragement!

I am anxious to hear if the dealers will program the OEM harness on a regular V60. Please post if you get it done.

I'm currently shopping for a V60 or V60CC and one of the two dealers researched that part and offered to do it as part of the sale for $995. The other is still trying to figure it out.

What I can't tell is how high that will put the ball when all is said and done. My motorcycle trailer likes to be 19-23" high to ride flat. I haven't used the euro-style balls so not sure if it can be adjusted. Used to a simple rider on the receiver.

Any guesses on final height?

A guess based solely on the illustration and comparing with my install would be a ball height of about 18"... Top of my receiver is ~14 inches. With a 2" riser I'm at about that.

Cool, that sounds maybe doable then.

Hmmm looking at that picture I guess it wouldn't work with a hitch mounted bike carrier?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

For my V60, the K-PAX rear muffler offers ample clearance. I used the spacers on my install - not sure if they were really necessary. I am test fitting my hitch mount Thule Revolver bike rack this weekend.

Which receiver is that?

Sorry for the late update... went to local Hitch dealer recommended by my Volvo dealer. Drawtight hitch went on great. Glad to see Volvo is coming out with electrics package for towing as the hitch guy said he would not touch the Volvo electronics buss without something certified. Right now, only using for my Kuat NV.

[img]://flic.kr/p/wgnz56]

KuatNVonV60CC by , on Flickr

BTW - Look586, I love my 585 Optimum and a 595, great bicycles...
      Last edited by 64'122S; 07-20-2015 at 04:14 PM.
      SOLD - 2016 XC90 T6 / R-Design / Polestar+ Colours - Crystal White Pearl / Charcoal
      |
      Vision | Climate w/HUD | Convenience | B&W Audio | CarPlay | OEM Hitch | Air Suspension
      Retired - 2015.5 V60 CrossCountry / Platinum / Climate / BLIS - Colour - Saville Gray/ Black

Could you post a picture from straight on the back without the rack? I think you have the right idea third party mount and OEM wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Could you post a picture from straight on the back without the rack? I think you have the right idea third party mount and OEM wiring.
      Tying to but neither drop box or flicker images appear regardless of my share settings. HAVE POSTED URL LINKS....
      Last edited by 64'122S; 07-20-2015 at 02:49 PM.
      |

Quote Originally Posted by 64'122S View Post
      Tying to but neither drop box or flicker images appear regardless of my share settings. HAVE POSTED URL LINKS....
      Try this site. Much easier. http://postimage.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Try this site. Much easier. http://postimage.org/
      Thanks, got flicker to work.

As for the image of the NV Rack, it is a illusion of the perspective shot. The rack is nearly the same width as the car, if not smaller. OH! and one more thing, I am able to open the rear hatch without having to drop the NV rack down. Have a quarter of an inch (6.35mm) clearance. Huge bonus.
      |

If you happen to have it handy - how high off the ground is the receiver?

. For the wiring you'll also need a test light and pliars. I used the Scotch quick connectors to tap into the tail light wiring.
      Be careful when using these Scotch lock connectors. They have a tendency to cut the wire you are trying to splice into. They may last a few years, but they often will result in a broken wire. A solder splice, or barrel crimp splice, properly heatshrinked, should be much more durable, and less prone to corrosion issues etc.

Just heard from my dealer that "Volvo has pulled the hitch from the US market. It is not available for us to sell or install. They also do not know if it or when it will be brought in for sale."

Which isn't that surprising as there are standard US towing features it didn't seem to support. They may be needed for regulatory / liability reasons or the like.

Back to the aftermarket!

What about the wiring harness?

No specific word on that but I suspect it's also pulled. As far as I ever saw it was never available as a separate item (in the US) and only part of the bundle. Not that an enterprising person couldn't source that somehow. I know I'll be keeping an eye out...

Quote Originally Posted by dulinor View Post
      If you happen to have it handy - how high off the ground is the receiver?
      10"
      |

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dulinor View Post
      Just heard from my dealer that "Volvo has pulled the hitch from the US market. It is not available for us to sell or install. They also do not know if it or when it will be brought in for sale."

Which isn't that surprising as there are standard US towing features it didn't seem to support. They may be needed for regulatory / liability reasons or the like.

Back to the aftermarket!
      I guess that would explain why I couldn't find the option on the accessories page anymore when I tried looking for it on this past Sunday. It is funny how short it was up (maybe a week)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast