V60 cross country hitch options and install - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 64'122S View Post
      Sorry for the late update... went to local Hitch dealer recommended by my Volvo dealer. Drawtight hitch went on great. Glad to see Volvo is coming out with electrics package for towing as the hitch guy said he would not touch the Volvo electronics buss without something certified. Right now, only using for my Kuat NV.

[img]://flic.kr/p/wgnz56]

KuatNVonV60CC by , on Flickr

BTW - Look586, I love my 585 Optimum and a 595, great bicycles...
      Cool! The 586 replaced an Italian steel frame that I used for years, the 595 looks awesome

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I talked to my local Volvo dealer this morning regarding trailer wiring options for my 2015 V60 and they basically said that I'm SOL for OEM options. And, of course, any aftermarket solution could void my warranty, completely fry my electronics, or perhaps even launch an ICBM towards Sweden.

The parts guy said that Volvo US has made the decision only to offer towing capabilities for XC/CC models. C'mon man!

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy View Post
      I talked to my local Volvo dealer this morning regarding trailer wiring options for my 2015 V60 and they basically said that I'm SOL for OEM options. And, of course, any aftermarket solution could void my warranty, completely fry my electronics, or perhaps even launch an ICBM towards Sweden.

The parts guy said that Volvo US has made the decision only to offer towing capabilities for XC/CC models. C'mon man!
      Did the parts guy mean XC/CC models not including the V60CC? (since the V60CC isn't much different than V60 and from the quotes earlier, the parts were on the V60CC Volvo accessories page for a short while and then taken off)

I would be very disappointed as well. If anyone from Volvo NA reads these boards, towing wasn't the main reason I purchased a V60CC but it was an advantage that I noted during comparison shopping that the Volvo tow rating for V60's in general was higher than any competitors, and some like the bmw 328 wagon weren't even listed with a rating by bmw. I liked the flexibility of being able to tow a small trailer in the future if needed.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Look586 View Post
      If anyone from Volvo NA reads these boards, towing wasn't the main reason I purchased a V60CC but it was an advantage that I noted during comparison shopping that the Volvo tow rating for V60's in general was higher than any competitors, and some like the bmw 328 wagon weren't even listed with a rating by bmw. I liked the flexibility of being able to tow a small trailer in the future if needed.
      +1. A reasonable tow capacity was a requirement for me. The published tow rating brought me into the dealer. It had been nearly 2 decades since I last bought a Volvo and loved that they provided alternative to the suv. The lack of dealer support for actually acquiring a 46k wagon equipped to tow gave me serious pause. Ultimately instead of moving on, I verified the aftermarket offered a hitch option and took a leap of faith. I started the thread to gather info and maybe help some view this wagon by as a practice option. As I told my sales person, it is odd Volvo would commit to a wagon, double down on a model targeted at an outdoorsy demographic and fail to actually support a key capability desired by this demographic. Makes a car with the potential for excellent utility seam more like a marketing ploy. While half measures like this really put me off, but I don't regret my decision to move forward. I just know that some others wont put in the effort and will look elsewhere. Odd choice on volvo's part.

If anyone from Volvo NA reads these boards, towing wasn't the main reason I purchased a V60CC but it was an advantage that I noted during comparison shopping that the Volvo tow rating for V60's in general was higher than any competitors, and some like the bmw 328 wagon weren't even listed with a rating by bmw. I liked the flexibility of being able to tow a small trailer in the future if needed.
      +1. A reasonable tow capacity was a requirement for me. The published tow rating brought me into the dealer. It had been nearly 2 decades since I last bought a Volvo and loved that they provided alternative to the suv. The lack of dealer support for actually acquiring a 46k wagon equipped to tow gave me serious pause. Ultimately instead of moving on, I verified the aftermarket offered a hitch option and took a leap of faith. I started the thread to gather info and maybe help some view this wagon by as a practice option. As I told my sales person, it is odd Volvo would commit to a wagon, double down on a model targeted at an outdoorsy demographic and fail to actually support a key capability desired by this demographic. Makes a car with the potential for excellent utility seam more like a marketing ploy. While half measures like this really put me off, but I don't regret my decision to move forward. I just know that some others wont put in the effort and will look elsewhere. Odd choice on volvo's part.

Frankly, the option that they had on the Web is not really that practical since it isn't a reciever. That said, since the wiring kit exists, it would be nice if they would offer it so an after market reciever could be safely used.
      2015.5 V60 T5 AWD. Savile Grey, Beechwood. IPD Sway Bar.

Did the parts guy mean XC/CC models not including the V60CC? (since the V60CC isn't much different than V60 and from the quotes earlier, the parts were on the V60CC Volvo accessories page for a short while and then taken off)

I would be very disappointed as well. If anyone from Volvo NA reads these boards, towing wasn't the main reason I purchased a V60CC but it was an advantage that I noted during comparison shopping that the Volvo tow rating for V60's in general was higher than any competitors, and some like the bmw 328 wagon weren't even listed with a rating by bmw. I liked the flexibility of being able to tow a small trailer in the future if needed.
      I got the impression that only the V60 CC would have OEM towing options from Volvo - all of us with the regular 'ol V60 were SOL - but, perhaps I'm wrong about the V60 CC too.

The parts guy mentioned that the owner of a new S60 had shown up at the dealership the week before with an aftermarket hitch installed on his car and was looking for a Volvo wiring harness and the VIDA software. Apparently he was very upset to find out that neither are available for those of us here in the US. I'm upset too! It's a great car, but for me the lack of Volvo-supported towing options significantly reduces its versatility.

Maybe I should have bought a (gasp) SUV...

Quote Originally Posted by MDicnMan View Post
      Frankly, the option that they had on the Web is not really that practical since it isn't a reciever. That said, since the wiring kit exists, it would be nice if they would offer it so an after market reciever could be safely used.
      From what I've been able to determine, the wiring kit only works on 2015.5 or newer vehicles. There's nothing for the 2015.

(First post!) I'm thinking of the Kuat Transfer 3 bike rack but have no idea if it will fit. According to etrailer there needs to be 5" between the hitch hole and the edge of the bumper for it to fold up. Would you mind measuring or confirming with your NV for me? Here's the Q&A and diagram posted on etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/question-126436.html

Thank you!

EDIT - Nevermind. Installed the Hidden Hitch last night and the rack comes Monday - I'll find out soon enough.
      Last edited by Savedsol; 07-31-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Just FYI - I had a Curt hitch put on this morning and it looks "fine." Would love a Volvo kit for wiring and official support for tow modes and the like but this will do for now. (Wired in for brakes/turn signals.)

V60CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one issue I found with my hitch location and my cargo platform is the exhaust blows right onto it. I found a Reese 5-inch hitch extension that moves it up just enough for clearance. Also allows for a trailer to connect on the bottom with an accessory up top. I considered putting a D-ring on the bottom to use as an anchor for a strap. It does put the platform a little further back as well. Not sure if the V60CC has this exhaust concern or not like my RD.

Don't need hot exhaust blowing on plastic crates for a long road trip.

chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

I needed a small riser to get the ideal height for my motorcycle trailer but that spaces everything out enough that I'm optimistic. Taking it to the mountains this weekend so we'll see how it holds up...

Just in case anyone was thinking about doing so; you cannot tow with the top receiver.

Just in case anyone was thinking about doing so; you cannot tow with the top receiver.
      Correct - for accessory only, tow hitch goes on the bottom.
      chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      The one issue I found with my hitch location and my cargo platform is the exhaust blows right onto it. I found a Reese 5-inch hitch extension that moves it up just enough for clearance. Also allows for a trailer to connect on the bottom with an accessory up top. I considered putting a D-ring on the bottom to use as an anchor for a strap. It does put the platform a little further back as well. Not sure if the V60CC has this exhaust concern or not like my RD.

Don't need hot exhaust blowing on plastic crates for a long road trip.
      Someone was complaining frequently on the Volvo Facebook page about the exhaust and how it ruined some of his gear. VCNA was sympathetic but not helpful (not writing him a check). The other users/posters pretty much shut the guy down -- that Volvo couldn't plan for every use and it really was his responsibility to check!

For my cargo carrier I have pivot point so I can move it vertical when empty -- sticking out the back it isn't very visible unless there is gear on it.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

I added the Hidden Hitch 2". It's bit of an eyesore if I'm honest so the Volvo (really) hidden one would have been nice if it was a receiver not just a ball for towing. I picked up a Kuat Transfer 3 rack and was nervous about the short distance (5") of the rack to the second hitch hole when folded up - no worries, works like a champ! Click the pic for few different angles...
      V60 Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by Savedsol View Post
      I added the Hidden Hitch 2". It's bit of an eyesore if I'm honest so the Volvo (really) hidden one would have been nice if it was a receiver not just a ball for towing. I picked up a Kuat Transfer 3 rack and was nervous about the short distance (5") of the rack to the second hitch hole when folded up - no worries, works like a champ! Click the pic for few different angles...
      V60 Hitch
      Off topic. But nice Bors on your V60CC did you have to pay extra to swap those for the regular wheels?

Thanks! Not a CC, just a regular V60. They came standard on the Sport Package.

Quote Originally Posted by Savedsol View Post
      You can get an inexpensive chromed cover for the receiver. I got mine to keep junk out of the receiver itself more than to hide. Then you can put a prancing moose on it!
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Solid idea!

There is an official Volvo trailer hitch available for the V60CC.
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-483137/2016

It is a class 2 hitch (two inch ball) with a 3,500 lb. towing capacity.

The other benefit to the Volvo hitch is that it fulfills all crash test requirements.
      Toy: 2009 Miata GT: Copper Red w/beige leather, MT6, Premium, Sport Suspension.
      His: 2016 V40 D3, M66, sport chassis. Hers: 2016 XC60 D4, auto, beige leather, loaded
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5
      Daughter number two: 2005 S80 2.5T AWD, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2012 Chevy Cruise LT

Hitch with OEM wiring?

Curious if anyone managed to install the OEM control module with their hitch? I would love to have a receiver on my V60CC rather than the 2" Ball OEM option offered.

The day after I bought my 15.5 V60R I bought a Curt Class 3 hitch #13266 along with a Rola hitch mounter cargo carrier #59502. I installed it the same day and the family and I went camping the next day.

Just the hitch

Up until yesterday, I have mainly just used the hitch for the cargo carrier or a Thule folding bike rack. A couple days ago I installed the Curt #56287 vehicle to trailer harness. It has plug and play connectors for the lights, the ground terminal is already ringed and I bolted it to the existing factory ground. For power, there is a long length of wire and a wired fuse holder with a 10 amp fuse that is meant to run all the way to the battery in the front of the car. Right next to control box is the 12V socket. I connected one end of the fuse holder directly to the the control box and with the other end I just tapped the power off wire running to the socket. It only pulls 6 amps, so I wasn't worried about it.

Yesterday, I rented a trailer from UHual so I could pick up an Audi 2.7T engine. The harness adapter worked like a champ.

Last edited by nefkntym; 01-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.
      2015.5 V60R Platinum Ice Crystal Pearl
      2015 SQ5 Volcano Red
      2003 A4 Avant Polar White -> 1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT -> 3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread

Quote Originally Posted by cdauerer View Post
      There is an official Volvo trailer hitch available for the V60CC.
      http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-483137/2016

It is a class 2 hitch (two inch ball) with a 3,500 lb. towing capacity.

The other benefit to the Volvo hitch is that it fulfills all crash test requirements.
      I haven't asked the dealer yet but I assume that they will not support this going on a V60. Too bad if so.

I also pull a small trailer with my V60RD. The most I towed is probably 2,000# or so. No issue. Using Curt 2" receiver and harness.

I haven't asked the dealer yet but I assume that they will not support this going on a V60. Too bad if so.
      Just checked with dealer and they checked with Volvo regional manager - doesn't fit regular V60 because of issues with exhaust and wiring harness compatibility.

KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Just checked with dealer and they checked with Volvo regional manager - doesn't fit regular V60 because of issues with exhaust and wiring harness compatibility.

Thanks. I guess I didn't realize there was a difference. We have one of each, I'll have to take a look at that.

Thanks. I guess I didn't realize there was a difference. We have one of each, I'll have to take a look at that.
      Please note with pics, if obvious, what those differences are - find it hard to believe a 'dress-up' V60 CC is that much different.
      My previous V70R could use the same factory hitch as the whole P2 platform.

KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

What is interesting on the Canadian site is that the V60CC tow hitch part no changed from 31400878 which is now NLA to 31454787 which hopefully isn't. I had the 31400878 on order for 8 months. The delivery date kept slipping.
      Current 2015.5 Volvo V60 CC, Black/Off Black, Platinum and Climate packages.
      Current 1991 Jeep Comanche Eliminator, Colorado Red, 4.7L Stroker, 5 Speed, Fully Restored
      Previous 2013 Cadillac ATS V6 AWD. Fast, Fast Car.
      Previous 2005 Subaru Outback XT 350hp, 6 Speed, Brembo Brakes, BBS Wheels. Insanely Fast.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      doesn't fit regular V60 because of issues with exhaust and wiring harness compatibility.
      That's the biggest load of hooey I've heard this morning. That sounds like laziness. The cars and their platforms are identical.

I ordered the 31454787 hitch. If and when I get it I can prove one way or another if it a straight bolt up. I am guessing it is because I agree the floor pans are identical between V60 and S60. Volvo isn't rich enough to have different tooling. The P3 platform is basically the (now becoming obsolete) EUCD Ford platform and the S60, V60 and XC60 share it.
      Current 2015.5 Volvo V60 CC, Black/Off Black, Platinum and Climate packages.
      Current 1991 Jeep Comanche Eliminator, Colorado Red, 4.7L Stroker, 5 Speed, Fully Restored
      Previous 2013 Cadillac ATS V6 AWD. Fast, Fast Car.
      Previous 2005 Subaru Outback XT 350hp, 6 Speed, Brembo Brakes, BBS Wheels. Insanely Fast.

When positioning bikes on the hitch rack for our XC90 V8, I learned to make sure a bike tire is not near the exhaust.
      I learned the hard way during a road trip when I heard a pop. Pulled over to investigate and the Nevegal on my Giant Reign had exploded.
      Have not had a problem since due to proper bike placement on rack. Liking the V60CC and my be a replacement for our XC90.
      Last edited by mvray; 01-31-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
      2008 XC90 V8 OSD
      2000 Toyota Tundra

I bought the Curt hitch and me and my 4 year old installed it in about 1.5 hrs. The forum posts referenced here were invaluable. The quality of the hitch is excellent and it is robust, beefy and really, a very fair value for the money. Why pay $400+ at the dealer when this $130 thing is so nice and fits so well.

I only use it for a hitch carrier and the bike rack. No trailers.

Last edited by svtquattro; 02-03-2016 at 12:30 AM.
      2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, Flamenco Red / Beechwood / Urbane / PCC / Dynamic...now WITH driver's lumbar adjustment!

I installed the Curt 56287 harness this weekend. Install wasn't too bad except finding a spot for their box - I placed it sideways on the composite beam the trunk floor lays on. For power, like nefkntym (above) I didn't run it to the battery but I also don't have the lighter socket in the back. Instead I crimped a short piece of wire on and fished it up through the fuse box the official Volvo trailed harness uses and used the 10A fuse included with the kit on one of the open plugs with a hot.
      V60 Fuse for Curt #56287 by Sinister-00, on Flickr

Volvo makes some great cars but Volvo's US management has on many levels proven itself incompetent. Selling crossover utility vehicles and not supporting towing accessories for them is begging people to choose another brand. I have little doubt European versions have this equipment available.

I have seen hitches with installation videos for the V60/V60CC on the internet when doing research. I'm sure you can find some on YouTube. I believe one such install was rated 5 out of 10 for difficulty. BMW hitches on X1/X3 were 10 of 10, so the Volvo can't be that bad. The hardest part seems to be using a feed line that comes attached to the bolts to get the nuts to the top of the "frame" to bolt it on.
      2015 S60 R design,ember black metallic

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast