2015.5 s60 T5 clicking/ticking noise when accelerating - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      I have a 2015 V60 T5 Premier that has made this noise since approx 17000 miles. Now has 26800 miles, been in dealership service dept 4 times since Oct 2015, last time was from 5/2/16-6/3/16 and it's still ticking! The spark plugs have been replaced, suspension worked on, fuel pump, etc... List goes on and on. Volvo even sent "special" diagnostic tools to the dealership (a Volvo dealership) for further testing. Volvo field rep came to drive my car and deemed it as only happening under extreme (not normal) driving patterns and no further fault trace necessary. I have his handwritten report. Funny it happens every day under normal driving in Eco mode at 40-50 mph/ 1800-2300 rpms and it also in Performance mode between 3000-4000 rpms. I very clearly hear between 1-5 clicks, usually 3, every single day multiple times. I'm at the end of my rope with this but in principle I'm pressing dealership and will also now go to Volvo NA. Totally unacceptable to have a new car with these issues. Has anyone explored lemon law rights?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Forgot to mention, I've used Shell 93 octane almost exclusively to no avail.

I have engine pinging every day, 2 or 3 clicks. Usually it is in the 2500-3000 rpm range when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. Pressing down too hard does not do it. Mostly I can reproduce at 75% power, just enough to downshift...

I'm wondering if the dealer can revert the ECM updates, because the single thing is after 10K miles for all of us.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmcken View Post
      I have engine pinging every day, 2 or 3 clicks. Usually it is in the 2500-3000 rpm range when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. Pressing down too hard does not do it. Mostly I can reproduce at 75% power, just enough to downshift...

I'm wondering if the dealer can revert the ECM updates, because the single thing is after 10K miles for all of us.
      That's exactly my RPM range, gear change is up shift for me, power, etc... I asked the dealer about reverting back to the pre-10k mile service and was told that it could not be done.
      Last edited by odonnebj; 06-09-2016 at 11:40 AM.

I have noticed it only on an uphill onramp where I am accelerating, so no downshift. I should try going up the mountain behind me sometime to check it out. I get my V60 polestar in a week so will have that to test also.
      2016 V60 polestar white (for Puerto Rico)
      2015.5 V60 T6 (OSD) power blue
      2005 V70R (OSD) - gone
      1995 Lotus Esprit S4s
      2013 C70 (OSD, for wifey)

Quote Originally Posted by odonnebj View Post
      Done and done! Sorry you have two cars in the family with the same issue

As a side note, and I'm sure they're unrelated, but my Auto-Start-Stop also stopped working at the same time back in January when this first came up. I've seen other threads on that too, but just wanted to point it out. I'm just trying to collect / correlate as much data as possible.
      My auto stop/start also failed last January 2016, but was fixed by replacing the battery (warranty). Clicking occurred months later. I don't believe they are related. Side note: if they replace your battery, check your airbox for scratches after the replacement-the dealer scratched the hell out of mine and owes me a new airbox.

Just recorded it again on the way home from work. Every. Single. Day!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q245k-vvWFQ

Just recorded it again on the way home from work. Every. Single. Day!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q245k-vvWFQ

Same noise mine makes every day multiple times a day. Calling Volvo NA to complain.

Volvo V60 Drive-e still in the shop fourth day. Diagnosis: two spark plugs are broken and the oil trap needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by JccARV60Drive-e View Post
      Volvo V60 Drive-e still in the shop fourth day. Diagnosis: two spark plugs are broken and the oil trap needs to be replaced.
      That's bad! Broken spark plugs are sure signs of detonation happening that will destroy the engine. If the bits of the broken plugs hit the turbo vanes on the way out of the engine, that's double ouch!
      Sounds like they (Volvo) need to use colder plugs and/or retune the ECU to reduce timing/boost pressure.

This is NOT good folks for the Drive-E engines. Makes me worry.
      2007 S80 3.2L FWD (BD: 11/06)| Willow Green | 218K miles @ 6/2017
      Mods: IPD Alu Skid Plate | 25% tint | Qwik-Valve F104S + ADP-104 | MagnaFlow Mufflers (#11225) w/Stainless tips | GC Edge 0W-40 oil | Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17) on 17" Regor rims.

Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
      This is NOT good folks for the Drive-E engines. Makes me worry.
      It's definitely not confidence-inspiring, and a shame considering that it's a pretty good drivetrain otherwise. Multiple reports of broken spark plugs and widespread reports of what is almost certainly detonation don't speak well to longevity. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't our first indication of a carbon buildup problem, either on the intake valves or inside the combustion chamber. The former is pretty common in early DI engines and could be screwing-up the intake charge enough to throw off the maps at high load. The latter would be strange but not impossible, especially in a cooler end cylinder. Thinking about it, my low-mileage/short trip drive cycle (more time at low engine temps) might explain why mine cropped-up at at ~5k mi while most people are reporting the problem first around 10k mi or later. It's completely inconclusive but consistent.

Oh, side note. Does anybody know what size spark plug socket this thing takes? It appears to need a much smaller diameter than what I have. (Officially, I'm asking for no reason in particular. None at all.)
      Last edited by zircular; 06-16-2016 at 04:30 PM.
      Current Proof of Insanity: 2014 XC70 3.2 AWD Premier, Flamenco Red/Soft Beige, Heated Everything
      Past Proof of Insanity (except the first one):1985 745, 1998 S70, 2009 V70, 2015.5 S60

Quote Originally Posted by zircular View Post
      It's definitely not confidence-inspiring, and a shame considering that it's a pretty good drivetrain otherwise. Multiple reports of broken spark plugs and widespread reports of what is almost certainly detonation don't speak well to longevity. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't our first indication of a carbon buildup problem, either on the intake valves or inside the combustion chamber. The former is pretty common in early DI engines and could be screwing-up the intake charge enough to throw off the maps at high load. The latter would be strange but not impossible, especially in a cooler end cylinder. Thinking about it, my low-mileage/short trip drive cycle (more time at low engine temps) might explain why mine cropped-up at at ~5k mi while most people are reporting the problem first around 10k mi or later. It's completely inconclusive but consistent.

Oh, side note. Does anybody know what size spark plug socket this thing takes? It appears to need a much smaller diameter than what I have. (Officially, I'm asking for no reason in particular. None at all.)
      There is a reason I don't (normally) buy the first generation of a new car model or major revamp, either new or used. They (the OEM and their suppliers) have to get all the bugs worked out and by the third model year, normally have. Vast generalization here but borne out by experience I'm sad to say.

Dang, I really, really hate this for the new Volvo! They absolutely have to get this right.
      2007 S80 3.2L FWD (BD: 11/06)| Willow Green | 218K miles @ 6/2017
      Mods: IPD Alu Skid Plate | 25% tint | Qwik-Valve F104S + ADP-104 | MagnaFlow Mufflers (#11225) w/Stainless tips | GC Edge 0W-40 oil | Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17) on 17" Regor rims.

Quote Originally Posted by whizkid View Post
      There is a reason I don't (normally) buy the first generation of a new car model or major revamp, either new or used. They (the OEM and their suppliers) have to get all the bugs worked out and by the third model year, normally have. Vast generalization here but borne out by experience I'm sad to say.
      Same reason I leased mine instead of buying, which is why I'm not about to lose any sleep over it. I knew going in that a first-year (at least in the US) Drive-E engine was a gamble, just as any other first-year engine from any other manufacturer. Still, no sane person leases a car thinking "well, this will be **** so I may as well spend a bunch of money on the steep initial depreciation on a car that sucks so that I can dump it later and get absolutely nothing out of the deal!" At least not me. I really wanted Drive-E to be solid and I still expect Volvo to work the bugs out of it. But the odds of my buying-out this one are roughly nil.
      Current Proof of Insanity: 2014 XC70 3.2 AWD Premier, Flamenco Red/Soft Beige, Heated Everything
      Past Proof of Insanity (except the first one):1985 745, 1998 S70, 2009 V70, 2015.5 S60

I have contacted Volvo NA to no avail. They did not answer my specific questions based on the Volvo field tech's report. I was told that they confirmed the field tech looked at my car and that no abnormal noises were found and no repair is needed. Really...my car was at the dealership 30+ days this last trip (#4) and there are no abnormal noises even though the field tech heard the clicking??! I've asked my questions again to the rep and said if they could not be answered that I want my request escalated. It's really too bad because I really like the car otherwise. A new issue just cropped up, for 2 days my doors wouldn't unlock or lock unless you pressed the button on the fob. The door handle buttons just quit. After 2 days they're working again.

Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaV60 View Post
      I have contacted Volvo NA to no avail. They did not answer my specific questions based on the Volvo field tech's report. I was told that they confirmed the field tech looked at my car and that no abnormal noises were found and no repair is needed. Really...my car was at the dealership 30+ days this last trip (#4) and there are no abnormal noises even though the field tech heard the clicking??! I've asked my questions again to the rep and said if they could not be answered that I want my request escalated. It's really too bad because I really like the car otherwise. A new issue just cropped up, for 2 days my doors wouldn't unlock or lock unless you pressed the button on the fob. The door handle buttons just quit. After 2 days they're working again.
      30 days? Sounds like a lemon law candidate.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

I've explored the lemon law path and I believe what you’ve encountered with your car fits - I think you should pursue it. According to your posts, the dealer has acknowledged the issue and has attempted to fix it on numerous occasions - but can’t. The Volvo rep’s statement that you were outside the normal driving patterns –is just bogus! (Although his written statement to you acknowledges the issue.) Ask for the Volvo "normal" driving patterns handbook that he refers to? There isn't such a thing. They just want you to go away and make you think it's your problem while smiling and asking you if you want a bag of cookies. With all the chatter in this blog about the clicking problem and all the people that have reported it to dealers, I can bet you they are fully aware of the problem at Volvo – they don’t want to fix it. The dealers have marching orders - "No code thrown, no vehicle problem". Say the problem is the transmission, I’m not saying the clicking is a transmission problem, but for grins let’s say it is. One of the Volvo service techs told me that these Aisin 8-speed transmissions used in these cars are sealed and not serviceable at the dealer. No hydraulic modules to replace, no adjustments, no fluid topping off – no servicing whatsoever; they can’t even check the fluid level without special equipment. The only thing they do is to update software; anything beyond that requires Volvo approval. So if you have transmission issues (clicking?), this is the progression of dealer service as I see it: 1) no code - no problem, cannot duplicate, or tell you it your fault; 2) Load new TCM software; 3) Replace transmission. Tell me which two they are going to continue to do until motivated to do otherwise… Sounds like you have a lemon law case and they need motivating. It’s all about the documentation, not what someone said. Make sure you have all your service records, that’s what counts. Good luck.

As for your door locks, my car went through at least 10 S/W reloads (TCM 3x, Infotainment 3x, CEM 1x, ECM 2x, telephonics 1X) before the car stopped acting possessed. Here is a list of S/W issues I've had:
      1)Transmission goes into manual mode w/o driver input. (Happened at least a half dozen times - I have paddles on steering wheel. Has happened again between Jan 2016 and May 2016 service visits )
      2) Radio playing with no one in car or being selected.
      3) Phone ringtone sounded without receiving a call.
      3) Rear window defogger turning on without driver input or without outside temp being below auto-turn-on temperature.
      4)Infotainment system couldn't be turned off from dash knob.
      5)Nav system continually reset to heading north when sent a destination from on-call app. (Has happened again between Jan 2016 and May 2016 service visits)
      6) On-call journal app has dropped segment entries multiple times. Volvo Case opened.

Because I'm obsessed with trying to figure out what is going on, I've listed out all the usernames and models (from what I could tell from your posts) that have reported this issue dating back to last summer in July 2015 when this thread started. I'm assuming there are others that don't frequent the forum. My main reason for joining swedespeed was to diagnosis my issue since the car has been to the dealer 3 times with no resolution.

What I've gathered about the issue:
      T5 Drive-E models - S60, V60, XC60, and XC70
      Occurs after the initial 10,000 mile service
      Gas type seems irrelevant as some run Premium and some run Regular

Who has notified Volvo USA? Who has sought other measures? Who just flat out gave up? Here is a list of 12 usernames / car models that have experienced this issue based on your posts. Have any of you found resolution?!?!

ketanb81 2015.5 S60 T5
      zircular 2015.5 S60 T5 Drive-E
      T960K 2015 XC60 T5 Drive-E
      busyguy8 2015.5 V60 Drive-E
      SSurfer321 2015 V60 Drive-E
      michaelmcken
      glenn-v60r 2015.5 V60 T6
      Ado-aim 2015.5 s60
      lauren32
      CVdogooder 2015.5 s60
      JccARV60Drive-e 2015 V60 Drive-e T5
      odonnebj 2015.5 XC70 T5 Drive-E
      lauren32 2015 V60 T5 Drive-E
      JccARV60Drive-e 2015 XC60 Drive-e T5
      ChattanoogaV60 2015 V60 Drive-E T5
      Add another to the list. Update mine to 2015.5 S60 T5 Drive -E Silver and add another one under my name: 2015.5 S60 Drive -E Charcoal. The Charcoal second car is a friend's who drove down to visit. When I took her car out for a drive, the clicking occurred right off. The car has approx 15,000 miles and she said it started a few months back, probably around 12,000 miles. I got it to do it twice under these conditions - moderate to hard acceleration at approx 35-40 mph, flat surface. Clicking came from left side of engine compartment. She noted that it happened for her when usually going onto the freeway. She thought it was something rolling around in her car (it isn't).

My V60 Drive-e was released from the dealer, "repaired" (spark plug one and two replaced and oil trap replaced) on 6/17/2016. On 6/18/16 Exact same problem occurred (knocking and brief loss of power). Today I heard the clicking noise upon accelerating. Not cool.

I'm at 35,400 miles and I can decide if I want to:
      1)keep this car and buy an extended warranty up to 100k miles.
      2)trade now. Purely out of principle since repairs are covered.
      3)keep for one more year, escalate the issue, then trade after the end of the 50k mile warranty.

Any therapists or armchair life coaches out there want to weigh in?

My V60 Drive-e was released from the dealer, "repaired" (spark plug one and two replaced and oil trap replaced) on 6/17/2016. On 6/18/16 Exact same problem occurred (knocking and brief loss of power). Today I heard the clicking noise upon accelerating. Not cool.

3)keep for one more year, escalate the issue, then trade after the end of the 50k mile warranty.

1 is the most fiscally responsible, and it gives time for Volvo to find a solution. 2&3 are more expensive, and silly if your going to get another Volvo, but happiness and trust in a vehicle have a major factor in the decision to go with this option.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

If I owned mine rather than leasing I personally wouldn't take the trade-in hit just for this. I'd at least keep it through the original warranty and definitely continue hounding Volvo about it. If we're right about this being ping then there could be the possibility of a software fix in the form of revised maps. They'll only work on it if we keep after them, though. If it's something more involved then we still need to call attention to it.

So glad I found you guys

I own a 2015.5 T5 S60 that is having the exact same issue. It started around the 10,000 mile mark. It happens exactly as described. At first my dealer denied it was happening, couldn't be duplicated. On the second trip I insisted the tech ride with me and I got it to hesitate and make the clicking noise right out of the dealership drive. The tech immediately said it sounded like pre-detonation and the reason it was over so quickly (after 2-3 clicks) is the computer doing its job and adjusting the timing to stop it. The dealership changed the plugs and coils and then said I was using inferior gasoline (I have always used Costco, which in listed in www.toptiergas.com per Volvo's own manual). So, I picked up the car and for the last 5 weeks I have been buying Shell, Chevron, Exxon, and Texaco, but the problem did not go away. It is back in the shop and now they tell me it is because I use regular gas instead of premium. I purchased the T5 instead of the T6 specifically because I wanted to use regular gas. My last several cars all required premium and I was tired of footing the bill. I asked if the dealer knew of other 2015.5 having the same issue and was told no. So out of frustration, I googled "2015 volvo s60 missing during acceleration" and found this site and this thread. I really like my S60, but I do not like getting on the freeway and having the car hesitate in front of the large 18 wheeler coming up behind me. It is as much as a safety issue and an annoyance. I don't want to go the lemon law route, but I will if Volvo cannot find a fix. Thanks for letting me vent. I know it is not all in my head (that was the implied issue the first time I took it to the dealer) and there are others having the same problem. I will print out this thread and take it to my dealer when I go pick up my car.

I have been lurking on this forum for some time now and also have been having the dreaded clicking/ticking noise under acceleration. My car is a 2015.5 V60 premier w/ sport package and Polestar Optimisation tune. The noise started around 10k miles. Prior to the Polestar Flash I would hear the ticking/clicking under acceleration very faintly followed by a loss of power (hard time getting past 4K rpm in gear like it had lost all boost). Dealer couldn't duplicate it, so I tried to live with. It happens a lot entering freeways under boost and no up shift ( building boost in gear). I ask the dealer if there was an ECU update and they told me my car was up to date with all software. So I decided to get the Polestar Optimisation tune (thinking the flash would fix it). I was wrong. The Power/torque/ transmission shift of the tune is addicting to say the least ( highly recommend it if they can fix the noise) but it made the ticking/clicking very much noticeable and easier to recreate. Same symptom (loss of boost/power in gear after noise and difficult to go past 4K rpm at full throttle like timing is pulled way back) happens more often under medium acceleration and moderate load. Really annoying, tried to overtake a slow merging Honda Fit on a freeway entrance when it happened and I couldn't even pass him! It was embarrassing to say the least. Can't even climb a freeway hill without it happening. Just today, I asked the dealer to change the spark plugs, but they wanted me to pay for it since there is no fault codes for a misfire even when they heard the noise on a prior test drive. I decide to buy the plugs myself ($66 for 4 by the way) and replace them. All plugs were normal but gap had increased a bit, the problem was #3 was cracked at the bottom porcelain( I have 15k miles on car). Did a full service while I was at it. I run premium fuel (91) only and change oil every 5k. After all was done I was very optimistic thinking I found the culprit but I was deeply disappointed when it happen again almost immediately.
      I'm very skilled at working on cars (Mercedes Tech for 12 years) and I have been frustrated with this problem on my car considering I traded my Mercedes GLK diesel for this car. I have never encountered an issue like this on any Mercedes I have worked on. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car more than any Mercedes I've ever owned but this is just sad especially for this early on in the mileage. Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share my experiences with this issue and maybe someone with more expertise than I on this issue can chime in.
      Thank you for your time. Hope to hear some possible solutions and ideas.
      Last edited by M3etr; 06-24-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: correction of text

I've had my '15 since early '14 and I've never heard said noise--less than 12k miles though... I've run all octane grades, 95% Shell, and have settled on 89.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Im curious if this has anything to do with the ethanol content in our gas. When I had my 98 T5 in the Midwest most all the 91 I got was ethanol free and I got wicked good mpg and power to boot. It's noticeable coming back to New England where almost everything is octane boosted with ethanol. http://www.pure-gas.org has a list of stations with ethanol free gas.

Polestar?

One more question :

Does anyone with the problem have Polestar tuning?

Just curious. Maybe that will fix it!
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      One more question :

Does anyone with the problem have Polestar tuning?

Just curious. Maybe that will fix it!
      I have the Polestar tune on my 2015.5 V60 and it made it more often (easier to replicate but not consistent) and louder. Love the Power/Torque too much to let it go though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapShot View Post
      Im curious if this has anything to do with the ethanol content in our gas. When I had my 98 T5 in the Midwest most all the 91 I got was ethanol free and I got wicked good mpg and power to boot. It's noticeable coming back to New England where almost everything is octane boosted with ethanol. http://www.pure-gas.org has a list of stations with ethanol free gas.
      In my experience ethanol-free fuel hasn't helped. I've been using it exclusively since last August (91 octane since that's the only pure gas available to me) and I have had the same problem as everyone else. Having run my last tank nearly dry I refilled with 93 octane E10. So far I've only had one "event" and the pings were much more muted than they usually are. I'm only a couple hundred miles in, though. I usually experience the pinging after a good heat soak (20+ miles of driving) and I don't think I've taken a trip that long on this fuel.

I opened a trouble ticket with Volvo Corp. today. Had a very nice conversation with Betty. She took down all of my information and said the Volvo Area Rep has 3 days to respond. Basically the Rep visits with the dealer, looks over the history of the issue and makes sure the dealer is making use of all available Volvo resources to solve the problem. We'll see if they can shed any light on the clicking. While answering Betty's questions, I remembered that mine started around 10,000 miles, but was before my scheduled service as I mentioned it to the service writer when I took the car in. I guess that rules out a software update is the cause, at least in my case. Anyway, Betty promised to give me a call next week. My car is still at the dealer as I told them I would not pick it up until they have the problem fixed. I wonder how long they will let me keep the loaner?

I think the dealer will let you keep the loaner until the clicking/knocking and loss of power starts with the loaner. Sorry...I had to say that.

Here is Volvo Customer Care's verbatim response to my last email asking for clarification of the Volvo field tech's report: "Basically the information in the report your retailer provided summarized his findings. The question you asked regarding the faint clicks they heard on occasion in the test drive were due to the exhaust changing temperature rapidly under aggressive driving conditions. These occasional faint clicks were noted during aggressive driving such as flooring the accelerator with climate control and the radio not running in the vehicle. The conclusion was that the faint clicks noted represent a normal noise for a vehicle driven under these conditions."

Has anyone been told anything similar to this: due to the exhaust changing temperature rapidly under aggressive driving conditions? Does this even make sense and why would this not happen from the time of purchase if truly the cause?

I've tried the Volvo Customer Care route for weeks now, see my other posts for details. I want to believe Volvo will address this but how long it's going to take is anyone's guess. Not sure I can accept this car as is at this point. I'm now exploring lemon law.

Let's assume for a second that there is actually engine knock and a problem exists. If the knock sensor and ECU were doing their job, timing would be retarded and this would be plainly visible through diagnostics.

So is three a problem with the knock sensor? Is there a problem with the ECU programming and it is ignoring the knock sensor and this is not visible to techs through the diagnostic equipment?

Or is it a normal sound and not a sign of a problem? Is the performance lost perceived and not real? No one has measured an actual performance loss to my knowledge.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by cathanas View Post
      I opened a trouble ticket with Volvo Corp. today. Had a very nice conversation with Betty. She took down all of my information and said the Volvo Area Rep has 3 days to respond. Basically the Rep visits with the dealer, looks over the history of the issue and makes sure the dealer is making use of all available Volvo resources to solve the problem. We'll see if they can shed any light on the clicking. While answering Betty's questions, I remembered that mine started around 10,000 miles, but was before my scheduled service as I mentioned it to the service writer when I took the car in. I guess that rules out a software update is the cause, at least in my case. Anyway, Betty promised to give me a call next week. My car is still at the dealer as I told them I would not pick it up until they have the problem fixed. I wonder how long they will let me keep the loaner?
      Good luck! I hope you have better luck than I. The last time the dealership had my car 30 days (4th trip!) and I was provided a loaner. My car however was released after that length of time with the continued clicking noise that was deemed "normal" for aggressive / extreme driving patterns. Which have been clarified as flooring the excelerator. We all know the noise happens under various conditions. I've never floored the accelerator to reproduce the noise. He also said it requires no further testing. Basically it's my fault! If you receive a diagnosis please post. Volvo Customer Care has been less than helpful in helping me resolve this issue.

Here is Volvo Customer Care's verbatim response to my last email asking for clarification of the Volvo field tech's report: "Basically the information in the report your retailer provided summarized his findings. The question you asked regarding the faint clicks they heard on occasion in the test drive were due to the exhaust changing temperature rapidly under aggressive driving conditions. These occasional faint clicks were noted during aggressive driving such as flooring the accelerator with climate control and the radio not running in the vehicle. The conclusion was that the faint clicks noted represent a normal noise for a vehicle driven under these conditions."

Has anyone been told anything similar to this: due to the exhaust changing temperature rapidly under aggressive driving conditions? Does this even make sense and why would this not happen from the time of purchase if truly the cause?
      In my case, three distinct clicks when operating in a specific driving condition (25-40mph under moderate to hard acceleration on an incline – to get out of the way of a collision) is hard for me to believe that the engine exhaust system is the culprit. No doubt the exhaust system will tick when cooling down due to normal thermal contraction, but when the engine/exhaust is up to temp, I can’t see such a rapid increase in exhaust temps under a onetime hard acceleration to cause ‘defined’ clicking. Why wouldn’t it happen under any hard acceleration? The Volvo response is sad because it’s a poor non-technical explanation that doesn’t reflect well on their abilities - “Just turn up the radio…” I’ll say it again - there is a guy caged in a cubicle somewhere at Volvo that knows the problem exactly. They either don’t know how to fix it or don’t want to fix due to cost.
      I’ve talked to a Lemon Law attorney a couple of times for my 2015.5 S60, but it wasn’t related to the clicking. It was related to the multiple s/w problems and transmission issues. He was ready to take me on as a client, but I put him on hold waiting to see how the last service s/w reloads worked out. The clicking issue hasn’t gone away for me and I’m now trying to record the clicking so I can bring the data to the dealer since duplicating can be difficult. What has changed since my May service (TCM update) is that duplicating the clicking is harder to do on flat surfaces. However when it does happen in my favorite spot (road has slight incline – similar to a freeway entrance) the clicking sound is sometimes more like a clunking (engaging/disengaging of parts). What is odd is that the sounds seems to travel, most times it I hear it to the left of the drivers footwell, but sometimes center and passenger footwell area as well. Normally I don’t drive the car that much, so it will take me some time to get the data and bring back to the dealer. The Lemon law route is definitely on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by CVdogooder View Post
      No doubt the exhaust system will tick when cooling down due to normal thermal contraction, but when the engine/exhaust is up to temp, I can’t see such a rapid increase in exhaust temps under a onetime hard acceleration to cause ‘defined’ clicking. Why wouldn’t it happen under any hard acceleration?
      I'm not disagreeing with your finding the explanation hard to swallow or saying that Volvo is definitely right about this (I have no idea), but it does actually make some sense - especially if the noise is coming from the catalytic converter and exhaust joint. It's possible that the drive-E models run a little rich. With any high specific output turbocharged engine (one making a lot of power for its given displacement), a rich air:fuel ratio is likely to be used near full load to keep cylinder temperatures in check. This is done to prevent the engine knock we're all afraid of. If the a:f ratio is rich, some fuel is going to make it past the engine. The catalytic converter is designed to burn up that fuel, and this can cause it to reach very high temperatures very rapidly when you start pushing the engine a littler harder. Even without unburnt fuel, modern cat converters can reach temperatures as high as 500°F during normal operation. When they start burning fuel in rich a:f setups, they can reach temperatures exceeding 1000°F.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast