Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build

I come from a long line of Volvos in my family, beginning with the '67 Volvo my parents owned when I was a babe. Got my first when I had my son 2.5 yrs back; a Silver '04 XC70 with 115K (as of today) that I bought off my stepfather for a token price. At the time it had about 83K on the odometer, and had been garage kept and strictly dealer maintained for its entire life. Since coming to live with me, things haven't been quite as cushy. While I change the oil regularly, I have taken it for its regular service intervals intermittently at best, it lives outdoors, and i seldom wash it or offer it any preventative or cosmetic maintenance at all With the sale of my 1987 Toyota 4Runner to a good friend, I've resolved to renew my commitment to the Volvo by treating it better, learning more about it, and doing a few things to it to turn it into the vehicle it deserves to be: a bad-ass Adventure-Dad Utility Vehicle that can get me and the boys up mountains, onto the beach, out to the trailhead, into the powder, and beyond.

Here it is below in its current state; bone stock save for a new set of tires I put on there after the Scorpions on it nearly shredded themselves off the rims from overwear.

Despite a couple years of relative neglect in my hands, it remains in pretty excellent shape--in large part due to it's stellar service record. At around 70K or so, it was crashed on the Taconic State Parkway, a narrow, windy road in New York's Hudson Valley. It apparently skipped the center rail, and ended up in the opposite passing lane. It didn't flip, all the occupants were completely unharmed, and other than some nasty dings, dents, and scrapes, the car was relatively intact. After some body work and servicing at the dealer, it was back on the road and served my parents for another 13K before coming my way.

As you can see from the 3rd pic, it gets dadded-out on the regular. That's just two strollers and what my wife calls a "small shop". First on the list of upgrades will be a few simple bolt-on and clip in utility items to increase usable cargo space, and weatherize a bit. Crossbars and a roof basket are on their way right now, as are a set of OEM all-weather rubber mats for front and passenger seats, and an OEM net Cargo/dog barrier so I can pack the **** out of the rear cargo area with no fear of the boys being crushed :-)

Future plans include:

- Getting the 105K service I skipped done at my Indy
      - Suspension overhaul around 120K or sooner with added Bad Swede 2" lift
      - IPD Sways
      - New wheels with more aggressive tires for better all-terrain capability
      - Possible bumper/Body-cladding modifications or reinforcements
      - Skid Plate (s)
      - Some fun-stupid cosmetic stuff (blacked out grill, Flaps, A few decals, LED cabin upgrades etc)

If you're into engine tunes, exhaust, and performance upgrades, I'm afraid I'll be a disappointment, (at least for the time being) I have a lot to more to learn about all that stuff before I feel comfortable and confident taking it on. But if you like fun, dirt roads, and adventure, feel free to follow along and see if I can actually manage to make some or all of the above happen!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am in a very similar boat. I'm in New York with a couple of kids in tow so I will definitely be watching this thread.
      If you are looking to get the cargo net, I would highly recommend the metal gate. Fold up when not in use, and is much more solid. There has been one on the nyc Craigslist for a while for 35 bucks. Quite the steal. I would check and see if it is still there.
      I am also looking to get the ipd sways. If you ever want to do a group install, I would be game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris,

Yeah I already got a mesh one. I thought since I no longer have a dog it would be sufficient, but I may be proven wrong; we'll see. Should arrive later this week and I'll post pics/thoughts in this thread.

I'm probably gonna get the sways installed as part of a larger suspension overhaul at my Indy in a couple months. I have two kids one of whom has some pretty particular special needs and run my own freelance business, so time to do all but the most basic bolt-Ons and repairs is pretty scant unfortunately. Where are you located?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well for those of us in the Northeast, the close of summer means winter is right around the corner :-) Got the OEM All-Weather rubber floor mats in the mail a couple days ago. Used it as an excuse to take the car for a good vacuuming before swapping them in as I hadn't had time last time I changed oil and washed it. I ordered them from eEuroparts and they came quickly with free shipping. Initial quality looks great, and the fit on Driver and rear passenger mats is pretty close to perfect out of the box

As you can see in the picture above, i've pretty well thrashed the under-carpet with mud, snow, and road salt last winter, which was part of the impetus to get these guys. My stock XC mats look salvageable, but will require a pretty aggressive cleaning to get them looking good again.

Unfortunately the fit on the right edge of the front-passenger side looks pretty ****ty. Some nice ocean waves for you:

I sent some pics to customer service over there and they assured me that the issue was due to the way they are packed ansd shipped in bulk, and that the mats would all "settle" with use, so we'll have to see how things look in a couple months. If not, a few short cuts with a razor blade in some of the corner areas will probably help relieve pressure that is causing the problem I also got my OEM rear cargo/dog net which Is great and seems like it will serve my needs perfectly. While it doesn't look as robust as its solid counterpart, it's made of steel and woven, braided nylon which in my experience is tough as nails. Certainly enough to keep flying groceries off the boys, but will it protect passengers when i try and cram the back with a face cord of firewood to cart home to our stove? We'll see...

Finally, I got the Yakima towers and bars in the mail and threw them on there quick before dinner to await the Cargo basket that arrives tomorrow. The way my life works right now, I seldom have more than 1-2 hours of daylight to myself depending on when the kids are in bed, so I'll often be doing things in small stages. They are wide as ****, but I got a decent deal on the whole set and 48"s would have cost more. I also like the idea of being able to potentially utilize that extra space with some of the different rack add-ons that yakima offers. If that never actually happens, then I just chop 'em off. NBD. I think they offer a less elegant and more utilitarian look than the OEM equivalent. Havent decided if that's good or bad honestly.

That's all for today. As I said, starting small, easy, and functional. Car goes to my local in about 10 days for a pretty major service interval. I'm at 115K and skipped the 105 and the 112.5 (YIKES ) so it'll be some basic catch-up, fluids, and of course the timing belt. I'm about an hour away from my mechanic, so I may try and cram some extra stuff in there while it's on the lift since I have no where to work on it myself right now. Depending on timing, I maaaaaaaaaay get to stick the lift springs in there then; otherwise I'll have them give the whole suspension system a once over front and rear in anticipation of a rebuild around 120K. No major creaks or clunks so I don't think anything is totally shot, but I'd say that overall the car feels a lot more boat-like and floaty than it did thirty thousand miles ago, and i'd like to tighten it up.

More Soon...

Great looking XC.

Here's a few pics of mine

Word of advice on the round bars for the roof rack (if you haven't come across my previous post). Get a 3'-4' bungee cord and wrap it around a few times, it will cure the howling. You can see what I did in one of the pics.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Looking good! I'm planning to do something similar with my xc70. One thing you may want to check out since you already bought the oem rubber mats is the oem rubber tunnel cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
      Looking good! I'm planning to do something similar with my xc70. One thing you may want to check out since you already bought the oem rubber mats is the oem rubber tunnel cover.
      100%. Found out about it right after I bought the all weather mats or I might have thrown it in with the order!

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Great looking XC.

Here's a few pics of mine

Word of advice on the round bars for the roof rack (if you haven't come across my previous post). Get a 3'-4' bungee cord and wrap it around a few times, it will cure the howling. You can see what I did in one of the pics.
      Thanks man!

And I'm a big fan of your XC. Checked out your build when I was still A lurker ;-) very classy and understated. As for the bars, With the newly installed basket and fairing up they are much quieter, but thanks for the suggestion.

Nice work so far. I don't think my rubber floor mat is wavy like that but I'll double check. Are you getting the trunk mat too?

So with my older son in daycare today, me and lil man were able to get out there and put together our new Yakima loadwarrior rack + Loadwarrior extension.

Had initially had my sights set on the megawarrior, but was lucky enough to run into a guy with one on his BMW SUV over the past weekend, and even on the larger, stockier car, it looked almost comically large. I actually just ordered the straight rack without extension first, but after looking at pictures of a bunch of XC wagons with the standard loadwarrior set up while it was in the mail, I decided that the shorter cargo box on the long roof and wagon chassis looked a little strange; not "bad", just not quite right. I'm also interested in potentially incorporating a fullsize spare down the line, and have a couple bikes, tons of camping gear, and all manner of other things to put up there, so it seemed like the right move.

Hawk helped me out with his spoon, and we whipped that rack together in no time!

Of course as soon as I had it on the roof all measured and centered and was about to attach the brackets and screw it all down, he pitched a fit so we had to take a bottle break and screw it together later. Installed on the car it seems like it will do the trick perfectly, though of course time and actual (ab)use will tell. It seems super secure, and I have zero concern of it breaking loose. The included fairing seems to minimize howl at highway speeds as I mentioned above. In order to center it appropriately so that the rear cargo door had some breathing room when open, I had to overhang the moonroof by about 2". Not mad at that at all. Some of the welds look messy, but hey, this is a mass produced chinese rack not a 800 Dollar ARB outfit, so I can't really complain as long as they don't fail. On the looks front, I love it. Already getting me excited about the upcoming work I plan to do to make this thing more adventure worthy.

Looking pretty clean and mean in that last pic. And I haven't even blacked out the grill or lifted it yet

In the mail rn:

- IPD sways
      - IPD Poly Subframe bushing inserts
      - IPD Strut Brace Conversion Kit
      - IPD Skid plate and DEM cover
      - 15mm Wheel spacers (for later)

After a bunch of research and review reading here and elsewhere, it seems like the combination of the first three will do wonders for the vehicle's handling. We'll see if that proves to be true...

A productive week one; Stay Tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Nice work so far. I don't think my rubber floor mat is wavy like that but I'll double check. Are you getting the trunk mat too?
      Yeah I doubt it is. Either mine will settle out--which it does seem to be doing a bit after 2 days--or I got a slightly defective one. I'd be mad except they sent me a free pair of OEM All-Weather Saab mats as well for some strange reason. Gotta look up the model number since I don't know those cars well. Good ol ebay flip and I'll get most of my purchase price on the volvo ones back.

I will def get a rubber cargo mat, but I held off for the time being as I can't decide over OEM vs. Weathertech in this case. The floor mats were a no-brainer because of the (promised) "perfect fit". HA.

Unfortunately the fit on the right edge of the front-passenger side looks pretty ****ty. Some nice ocean waves for you:
      Here's how my passenger side mat looks. It does have a kink in it but isn't wavy. Unfortunately I don't know what they looked like when new

Last edited by freedomfries; 08-22-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Same kink in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      Hawk helped me out with his spoon, and we whipped that rack together in no time!

Sweet spoon

Let us know how your skid plate install goes. I haven't received mine yet but I'm thinking about putting some sound deadening on it when I receive it after seeing this:

5) The stock pan was covered in styrofoam and other deadening, and I found the "tinking" noise small rocks made bouncing off the bottom of a giant aluminum cymbal to be annoying. Some butyl rubber sound deadener (rated to 150 degrees c) took care of that.

So much want for the skid plate, I can't stomach the shipping, current exchange rate, and other Fed Ex surprises. Maybe I need to take a trip to the border, or thinking I can custom make one, if I can ever get the time to do either.

freedomfried that whe thread was really interesting. Love that dudes over-engineered version. I would agree with the assement that as it comes, the IPD skid plate is more of a light protective plate than a legit 4x4 style skid. That should serve my purposes fine for now, but may require some mods as my needs change. We'll see about the sound. Hope it insnt too unbearable.

So much want for the skid plate, I can't stomach the shipping, current exchange rate, and other Fed Ex surprises. Maybe I need to take a trip to the border, or thinking I can custom make one, if I can ever get the time to do either.

I a buying a xc 70 next week and plan tondo some pretty awesome stuff. The previous owner left me a pretty good start. I will continue to modify it until,it works right for my family.

Coming along nicely! Definitely looking forward to the Skidplate and Dem Cover install/review. I plan on going with the oem wing bars and a roofbox myself as I want the box to sit as low as possible and need a place to toss luggage/baby gear without worrying about the elements.

As for the cargo cover I'd go with the oem one as its apparently creased to allow for easy opening of the spare tire area with it installed. It's also cheaper from what I've seen.

Btw - where in the Hudson Valley? I grew up in Orangeburg in Rockland County.

freedomfried that whe thread was really interesting. Love that dudes over-engineered version. I would agree with the assement that as it comes, the IPD skid plate is more of a light protective plate than a legit 4x4 style skid. That should serve my purposes fine for now, but may require some mods as my needs change. We'll see about the sound. Hope it insnt too unbearable.
      Well it appears that IPD redesigned the P2 skidplate at some point and ditched the NACA ducts. I think the original design mimicked the Volvo aluminum skid plate.

IPD original:

Volvo 9451785:

New IPD:

Note that both Volvo and the original IPD design had some kind of insulation down the sides. I'll probably add some closed cell foam weather stripping to mine in addition to some 40 mil sound deadener
      Last edited by freedomfries; 08-23-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
      Coming along nicely! Definitely looking forward to the Skidplate and Dem Cover install/review. I plan on going with the oem wing bars and a roofbox myself as I want the box to sit as low as possible and need a place to toss luggage/baby gear without worrying about the elements.

As for the cargo cover I'd go with the oem one as its apparently creased to allow for easy opening of the spare tire area with it installed. It's also cheaper from what I've seen.

Btw - where in the Hudson Valley? I grew up in Orangeburg in Rockland County.
      I've spent the past 3.5yrs living in the "city" of Hudson in Columbia County. Bought a place directly across the river in Athens. Sleepy little River village with a bunch of rad old historic homes. Staying at my mothers currently with the fam while we complete some work on the place.

I have zero time and no tools/jacks with me so the next stage of this build is mostly gonna happen at my indy. Car will be in for a major service interval so I figured getting a bunch of this bolt on stuff slapped in while the car is on the lift will save me a bunch of time I don't have. But I'll definitely give a thoro review and by the time we move into our place I hope to do more DIY **** as the project continues.

Interesting about the OEM mats. Hadn't thought of that, thanks for pointing out.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Well it appears that IPD redesigned the P2 skidplate at some point and ditched the NACA ducts. I think the original design mimicked the Volvo aluminum skid plate.

Note that both Volvo and the original IPD design had some kind of insulation down the sides. I'll probably add some closed cell foam weather stripping to mine in addition to some 40 mil sound deadener
      Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I'm gonna start with it stock and see how I feel after a couple weeks of use. Rattled bother the **** out of me. Pings, not so much. I think ;-)

A collection of blue and silver bits and bobs has arrived ...

15mm spacers, subframe bushing inserts, strut conversion mounts, DEM plate, and decals. I've never been much for stickers on my vehicles, but given the direction this build is headed I think a few well placed vehicle-specific ones won't be in bad taste. NOT PICTURED: IPD full sway kit (front and rear); IPD skid plate.

A few close-ups of the wheel spacers just cause I'm a sucker for well-machined aluminum :-)

A note on the spacers for the curious: as of right now, these are just an experiment for aesthetic reasons. I totally don't expect to gain any sort of immediate functional value. The difference between front and rest track is a pretty noticeable 2.5" or so and I wanted to see how bumping out the rears in a stock wheel configuration affected the look and if there were any performance negs (increased understeer etc). Unfortunately the extended bolts needed for install don't arrive til Monday so there goes my little 1hr sunday project.

I'll be installing some of this stuff myself and my Indy will do the other stuff when the car is up on the lift for its scheduled service next week. Reports on all moduficationd in about 10 days...

Christmas has come early! What order are you going to install the parts in?

Yeah I just decided to go all in and really kick things off right. Funny you should ask about order I was just thinking about that. Unfortunately I forgot the proper wheel bolts (always forget something, IPD needs an Amazon-style "prime" service. :-) or I'd do spacers this weekend. But by the time they get here I think the car will be off to the shop next Tuesday. So I'll try and do the strut conversion thingys this weekend, which will be interesting since I can see what they do (or don't do) in isolation from the sway are and sub frame inserts which I'm sure will have a more measurable effect. Those two items wil get installed by my Indy wile car is in for service. Then I guess I'll do spacers and skid/den when I get it back late next week.

So I'll try and do the strut conversion thingys this weekend, which will be interesting since I can see what they do (or don't do) in isolation from the sway are and sub frame inserts which I'm sure will have a more measurable effect.
      I'm interested in this as well. Let us know what happens

While I did not have the IPD conversion, I did try out the Bob Villa Mod and I did not like the increase in NVH vs. just the poly inserts.

While I did not have the IPD conversion, I did try out the Bob Villa Mod and I did not like the increase in NVH vs. just the poly inserts.
      Yeah results seem to be mixed and feelings about the NVH factor vary. Seems to depend a good bit on what other suspension mods or mount replacements have been done to the vehicle. In this case this is the first and only (until next week :-) so I figured it would be a nice way to test Efficacy in relative isolation.

I was able to get this done last night, though by the time I had gotten both kids to bed we had lost sunlight. Luckily, I bought an LED lantern after a recent power outage so I put that to the test setting it up at the top of the engine bay. It provided just enough light to see where I was working, but next to nothing else. LED light doesn't seem to spill much so Everytime I went looking for a wrench or some grease or a rag next to the car I couldn't see ****.

For someone who has never even touched this car with a wrench before, this was the perfect first experience. As easy as 1,2,3 (x2). 6 bolts out, add mounts, 6 bolts in.

New torque wrench seems to work well but if Torque is as important as everyone says, I'll havei get a smaller 3/8 or 1/4 drive one as well. I was only able to torque the larger bolts to spec as I didn't have a small enough deep socket to get into the 4 mounting bolts. Just went for gutentight and called it a night.

They look pretty handsome installed.

I'll report on how they drive after I've taken the car out for a bit this afternoon.

Very nice! I wouldn't stress about the torque on the smaller bolts. I have this 3/8" drive torque wrench and it works well for DIYers: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...rench-807.html

Strut Brace Conversion: Initial Thoughts

So I've only got to drive the car a combined 10 miles or so since installing the IPD Strut Brace conversion pieces on Friday. The good news is, I notice almost zero increase in noise or vibration. Maybe an almost imperceptible vibration around 800rpm, but that's it. Certainly nothing that would make me want to uninstall. The driving I have done has unfortunately been limited to 45-60mph straightaways on country roads to and from the gas station/convenience store. Pretty much no curves to speak of. I think the front end feels a bit tighter and more together, however I'll be the first to admit that is likely confirmation bias speaking at this point. I'll give an update after I do my usual 50-75 weekday miles tomorrow.

Night Moves Pt. II: DEM Cover Install

So it looks like as long as it's a simple bolt-on job, me and my (not so) trusty LED lantern will be out in the night trying to get it done in the gravel driveway. This evening's task was to install the Aluminum DEM Protector. This along with the Skid plate is the beginning of my attempt to better armor the car's undercarriage against damage from rocks, gravel, ice, road debris, etc. Was kind of wild to me to find out that there is a piece of valuable electronics in control of the AWD just sitting there unprotected so seemed like a sound investment. As soon as I got all set up and used the spare jack to lift the car a bit, my LED lantern started flickering and then died. It was still running off the 4 batteries placed in the unit at retail that had probably been subjected to countless "TRY ME!"'s in the store, so I put 8 fresh new ones in (it can take 4 or 8 to give more power I guess) and got set up again

It was a super easy two-bolt job near the bottom of the drive shaft on drivers side. Unfortunately one of the bolts was a bit corroded and it was in a tight spot so it was a long 1/4 turn at a time with my allen key to get it free. After that it was as simple as slap the protective plate over it, and use the new, longer bolts and washers to secure it to the existing mounting holes.

All Done!

While I was under there I looked around a bit. The rear muffler is starting to look pretty damn rusty, so I might have to add a catback exhaust upgrade to the list in the not-so-distant future. Would love to hear suggestions from anyone on options.

Other than that everything looks pretty OK from a quick visual inspection. I eyed up the front skidplate as I'd love to get that in there soon too. Was originally going to have my mechanic throw it on when he has the car for servicing this week, but now that the DIY bug is taking hold, it seems stupid to end up paying him like 30 bucks to spend 10 minutes putting it on :-) It seems like it might be a bit tough to get at it solo with only the spare jack? Won't be a ton or room to move if I need to get some leverage to get the old bolts off. I'll need to invest in some ramps or jackstands in order to do more serious work clearly.

Car goes off to my Indy Tuesday, and I should have it back with new timing belt, sways, and subframe inserts by the weekend! pretty excited about that.

Yikes, don't go under the car when it's only supported by the emergency jack Invest in a proper jack and jack stands! Even the cheap ones at HF are fine. Aluminum ones are lighter and easier to handle

Glad the solid strut brace mounts don't increase vibrations. I think the key is to keep the top engine mount rubber.

I know that's a terrible idea; and yup, I did it anyway. My (flawed) thinking was if it is designed to support the car for the amount of time it takes to change a spare, it can hold it for 15 while I get this thing on there. Stupid. But I've lived to tell about it this time.

I'll be adding a jack and stands to the stable soon, it's just been tough since we aren't in our house right now (renovations) and I'm loathe to accumulate more crap at my mother's where I am staying with the family. Anyway, you are right, and it has to be done, so I'll order something off Amazon or get down to the store soon.
      Last edited by Young Satchel; 08-31-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling & punctutation
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Today's Work (brought to you in Black & White)

Wash

Mask

Dip

Peel

Left Badge

Right Badge(s)

All Done

I'm a bit insane when it comes to stuff like this so while I think it came out pretty well, I wish it had come out even better.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

That is cool!

Great thread! Looks like the adventure wagon is well on its way, keep the updates coming
      2011 C70 Flamenco/Cranberry | 43k | ~ 2008 S80 3.2 | DD | 321k | ~ 1999 V70 2.4i 5 SPD | 200k | SOLD! | ~ 2005 V70R GT Ti/Gobi | GSW | 203k | SOLD!| 2003 V70 2.4i | BSW | 155k | SOLD! ~ 2006 S40 2.4i | BSD | 119k SOLD! |

Quote Originally Posted by worldin View Post
      That is cool!
      Quote Originally Posted by peterjk4 View Post
      Great thread! Looks like the adventure wagon is well on its way, keep the updates coming
      Thanks! This thread seems to be serving its purpose and keeping me motivated towards my goal; thanks in large part to guys like yourselves checking in. I'll be without the car for the remainder of the week and driving some ****ty rental (we don't currently have a 2nd vehicle) But the good news is, tt will come back to me with a new timing belt, IPD sways, and Subframe inserts so I have something to look forward to.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast