Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build - Page 28
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28
      g
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ok.

I don't understand the "everything else vs. Apple" mentality. Whatever works for you is coo with me tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I'm just playing the record I've been playing for close to ten years. I am an Android fanboi, no doubt, but I realise the iPhone and other Apple products have their merits - they just don't fit me. I guess I need to make a statement or whatever.

What' the spec on the camera? The bokeh was smooth af.

Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
      I'm just playing the record I've been playing for close to ten years. I am an Android fanboi, no doubt, but I realise the iPhone and other Apple products have their merits - they just don't fit me. I guess I need to make a statement or whatever.

What' the spec on the camera? The bokeh was smooth af.
      It's the Portrait Mode "Depth Effect" on the 7+. Currently in Beta testing for new users. It has some kinks to work out, but overall has been incredibly impressive in my limited use.

I would say that this device has the Best camera function I have seen personally on a phone to date. Of course there could be better I just haven't used it yet whatever there is. I shoot with my phone constantly so it seemed like a good idea. 12MP with a sensor that reproduces color beautifully and seems superior in low light. Twin lenses with 2x optical/10x digital zoom. It also shoots RAW with 3rd party camera apps which I have yet to try but is kind of amazing. Can send photos straight to Lightroom mobile and sync to desktop through the cloud!

So far so good. Curious to see how they print compared to files off the SE which were beautiful on screen, but held up poorly above 5x7" on the big-boy Epson. Shadows were super muddy and noise was quite pronounced in all but the most ideal conditions.

Edit: words

Last edited by Young Satchel; 04-09-2017 at 06:57 AM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

The iPhone 7 and 7+ cameras are pretty amazing. I have a 7, kinda wish I went with the 7+ but I needed it to fit in my running shorts lol. Yeah a DSLR is better but the best camera is the one you have with you...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Shooting RAW is definitely on the check list for my next phone. It's a pity flagship models cost so damn much. We Android fanbois used to be able to atleast stick to more value for money over Apple, but the Pixels, XZ Premium and similar high end handsets all cost about the same as the equivalent iPhone. Goes for both sides of the fence, phones should'nt have to cost that much.

Don't try and charge/turn on the old one but put it in a bag of rice in a warm place for a week. You never know.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive

Dropped min in the cat water bawl. turned it off immediately, put in a plastic container and filled with rice (sandwich it; Rice-phone-rice). 24h later turned it on. It's been a year +. worked like a charm. Key is to leave it min 24h. longer the better.

Thanks gaiz. It's been out in a snowbank in the pouring rain for 10 days. But perhaps I'm due for a miracle?

Trick an AT&T rep suggested after a friend dropped hers in the toilet.

"Save up the silica packets that come in the box when you buy anything electronic. Bunch of those work better than rice. Crystal type cat litter better than rice too."

2003 XC70 "Kurd" Nautic Blue Pearl
      past: 1998 V70 Base "Silver Turtle" Mystic Silver Metallic, 1998 V70 Base "Turtle" Emerald Green Metallic

A flamethrower is the only thing that will save it now.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

As camping season will soon be upon us, the next few months will see a variety of equipment and accessory additions to The Adventure Wagon to make it better prepared and more trail-worthy. For too long I have scraped by with almost no recovery gear or tools, no full-size spare, and no compressor. Foolishness!

While I've managed to avoid trouble for the most part, my recent experience digging out the car reminded me that there is simply no knowing when or where you will be when trouble strikes, and it's best to be prepared well in advance to the extent this is possible.

So with digging fresh on the brain, I introduce the first of these additions to you: The MurderSpork.

The MurderSpork is a simple and ingenious tool designed and produced by the hilariously-named "Krazy Beaver Tools" out of New Mexico.

It is a simple, short-shafted shovel with a D-handle and some absolutely fearsome spork-like teeth on the end of the blade. It is designed and manufactured in the USA, and almost all the reviews I've read have been favorable so I decided to give it a try. My last digout was a nasty one replete with frozen dirt, hard-packed snow and ice, and it would have been great to have something like this around instead of, well....nothing

I was concerned that the teeth themselves might be a weak point, but apparently this was considered and they appear to be pretty well reinforced in anticipation of heavy use...

With the shovel procured, the next step was to find a way to mount it on the rig. Luckily for me, Yakima makes an Axe/Shovel bracket accessory for the Loadwarrior specifically for this purpose!

It consists of two plates that mate together nicely and secure with a long bolt and but with a twist handle. With the whole assembly properly installed and tightened down, I don't think this thing is going anywhere....

Though it's quality is high and it feels stout, Unfortunately, I didn't suss out the brackets enough in my excitement to purchase them and failed to realize a major shortcoming: you have to FULLY REMOVE the outer-plate, screw, and plastic handle to access the shovel . This is a seriously flawed design. It makes getting to the shovel quickly somewhat difficult, and It's way to easy to lose those pieces in a recovery situation where you are in mud, deep snow, etc... I may have to develop another solution for the future, but these will get the job done nicely for now.

Mounted up, the shovel is so secure that I can easily rock the XC back-and-forth without feeling any play at all. Plus, it looks badass to have a MurderSpork mounted to a Volvo ☠️

I look forward to having an opportunity to test its mettle soon enough....

That's medieval.

That's medieval.
      I figured you would approve as our resident medieval/Viking/Scando-Badass

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I figured you would approve as our resident medieval/Viking/Scando-Badass

Damn, I'll have to trademark that. Scando-badass is, well, badass.

I do approve, and any tool that has several uses is a good tool. Hate tools that do only one thing. The Spork looks like it could do a nice job as a letter opener, or a potato masher.

The Spork looks like it could do a nice job as a letter opener, or a potato masher.
      LMAO! And I hope to see a custom decal on the D5 with your new title, McShake. Lemme know if you'd like an typographical assistance in making this happen...

And Sam, are those spork pics with the 7+??

(now) Mine: 2003 V70 T5M // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 148K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // 18" Pegs // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // MOMO shift knob // black anodized S80 gauge faces // R steering wheel // T5M spaceball // IPD eggcrate grill //
      Formerly Mine: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 N/A M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
      Lemme know if you'd like an typographical assistance in making this happen
      Hook a brother up!

I'm on it. Designing something for a Scandinavian (A ScandoBadass, nonetheless) to put on his Swedish car requires a special design sensibility. I'll PM you some options before too long.

/threadjack (sorry Satchel)
      (now) Mine: 2003 V70 T5M // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 148K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // 18" Pegs // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // MOMO shift knob // black anodized S80 gauge faces // R steering wheel // T5M spaceball // IPD eggcrate grill //
      Formerly Mine: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 N/A M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap)

LMAO! And I hope to see a custom decal on the D5 with your new title, McShake. Lemme know if you'd like an typographical assistance in making this happen...

And Sam, are those spork pics with the 7+??

Yessir. 7+ flexing its twin lens "portrait mode"

I'm on it. Designing something for a Scandinavian (A ScandoBadass, nonetheless) to put on his Swedish car requires a special design sensibility. I'll PM you some options before too long.

/threadjack (sorry Satchel)
      I'll finish off the threadjack with a design that suddently came to mind. Do the SwedeSpeed logo, same fonts, just with a Norwegian flag at the start and ScandoBadass in the two different fonts.

If you have a head-on collision with another car or lets say a stupid pedestrian for example, or a stupid "minivanmom-milf " pushing a stroller trying to cross the road in the last minute in order to arrive on-time at this stupid kindergarten for that matter...; will the Spork shorten the suffering of the other party? VOLVO never came up with that idea, instead they invented this stupid pedestrian airbag They turned it around...
      https://youtu.be/NCjVS_-6hYs

Stupid VOLVO, they prefer the other person to end up in a wheelchair or connected to tubes after the collision. I like your solution better; when its over its over, as simple as that. A much more humane solution imho. The downside to this story is; how for crying out loud do you recover your Spork after the accident, will you ever see it back again. Who is paying for the cleaning cost? CPO? Perhaps it needs to be sharpened again? Pulling it out yourself would be kinda traumatic. VOLVO ON-CALL perhaps? I dont think so (...) At any rate..eat my fork, I mean Spork, happy camping folks. I might just get one too, or two.

(Just messing with ya "YS", sometimes I think I am so funny that its not even funny anymore) You know I love your project, I realy do, respect!

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 04-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

LOL

This guy...
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Damn, I'll have to trademark that. Scando-badass is, well, badass.

I do approve, and any tool that has several uses is a good tool. Hate tools that do only one thing. The Spork looks like it could do a nice job as a letter opener, or a potato masher.
      I found what McShake really needs mounted on his wagon in the Norwegian Weapons Museum.

Used primarily for bears and sewer wolves but also effective on bicyclists.

2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

Not only cyclists, sewer wolves and bears, but also beers.

Not only cyclists, sewer wolves and bears, but also beers.
      Skip it and go for it all the way, might as well:

Satch could easily rig up some rear facing flamethrowers. Cook a hotdog, or torch a following zombie riot crowd? Check

YS? What up? We are bombing (MOAB) your topic, going waaaayyyy off-topic!
      Last edited by CrossingCountries; 04-22-2017 at 03:38 PM.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28