Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      Thanks! This thread seems to be serving its purpose and keeping me motivated towards my goal; thanks in large part to guys like yourselves checking in. I'll be without the car for the remainder of the week and driving some ****ty rental (we don't currently have a 2nd vehicle) But the good news is, tt will come back to me with a new timing belt, IPD sways, and Subframe inserts so I have something to look forward to.
      Cool, ill be interested in how the handling changes !

Yea, i know, this forum has a community vibe, i like it !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice work! I love Plastidip

Also, would ramps better suit you instead of a jack and jack stands?

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Nice work! I love Plastidip

Also, would ramps better suit you instead of a jack and jack stands?
      At present they might just cause easier/lighter/cheaper. But then If I go to do something like exhaust myself it would be nice to just have all 4 corners high off the ground. I've got to give it some thought. Right now I think I could get away with ramps for most of what is planned in the near future. Being realistic about my wrenching skills (or lack thereof) it might not be time to invest in a good set of stands and a heavy-duty floor Jack yet. I tend to not like buying crappy things so I imagine a jack and stands could easily run me 2-3 hundred.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

SPROIINNGGG!!!
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Oooo pretty. Which springs?

Oooo pretty. Which springs?
      Bad Swede 2" lift. May be a while yet before they go on, but I'm excited nonetheless. They didn't come with noise isolaters this time so I want to see if their is some sort of OEM component that can be used because I recall someone on XC forums mentioning some groaning without them. Also may want to wait til I have new tires and/or wheels sorted as it may look a bit silly lifted on stock size.

I love that Bad Swede makes lift springs, however I don't like the price. I've been egging my co worker to get them for his XC70 to help fit the army jeep theme, but once he told me how much they were I laughed.

We're talking about making spacers to installed between the spring top hat and the strut tower instead

I feel you. Didn't seem too crazy in relation to the cost of lifting a 4x4 but certainly steeper than spacer lift. I just sold my 87 4Runner so I'm trying to better outfit the volvo for adventure and this seemed like a worthwhile investment in the right direction. we'll see though...

Argh. Got car back from timing belt service today but my mechanic didn't have time to do sways or subframe inserts cause he was pretty slammed trying to get cars back to customers for the holiday weekend. I could have left it but didn't want to carry the stupid ****in car rental through Labor Day and pay a bunch more. Frustrated. Was looking forward to those two installs and he's about 50 minutes from my house so this will probably have to wait until next major trip; or until I have the jack stands and time to do it myself.

My speedy progress has come to a halt :-(

Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build

Argh. Got car back from timing belt service today but my mechanic didn't have time to do sways or subframe inserts cause he was pretty slammed trying to get cars back to customers for the holiday weekend. I could have left it but didn't want to carry the stupid ****in car rental through Labor Day and pay a bunch more. Frustrated. Was looking forward to those two installs and he's about 50 minutes from my house so this will probably have to wait until next major trip; or until I have the jack stands and time to do it myself.

My speedy progress has come to a halt :-(
      Subframe inserts sre really easy to do
      U can insert one at the time really easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Join Us ---> RED PASSION <---Join Us

Quote Originally Posted by Infected.turbo View Post
      Subframe inserts sre really easy to do
      U can insert one at the time really easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That's what I hear from some, then others make them sound like a serious pain. either way, my biggest impediment is time. I have two boys (4mos, 2.5yrs) the older of whom has some intense special needs, plus I'm self employed. So unless I can do it in two hours at night with my led torch and a basic wrench set, it probably won't get done.

I'm willing to give it a go once I have some proper stands; thanks for encouragement

Progress on the build has sort of halted as I've been on a tight deadline for a client project and haven't had any time at all to tinker out in the driveway in the evenings. Also gonna heed Freedomfries advice and get some ramps or stands before I get back under the whip. I do no good to myself, the build-out, or my family if I'm crushed :-)

So to pass the time I went on a bit of a decal shopping spree. It's fun, easy, and relatively light on the wallet

I was super happy to come across the repro volvo cannondale racing decals. Wish volvo still sponsored cycling at the professional level; though with all that's happened in the sport in the past few years they might have been smart to make their exit earlier from a business ROI standpoint. Got a couple of diecut moose, some little IPD domes, and small IPD die-cuts as well. The matte black VOLVO Racing sticker was bought for my rack fairing. Of course now I'm wishing I had a set of OEM/Thule bars and basket with all the cycling related stuff as it throws off the brand synergy ;-) oh well, **** it. Nice to do something a little different.

Now the challenge will be to actually put them on my car. I'm weird with that. Love stickers, hate putting them on things. Makes no sense...

Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post

Think I came across that on a Subaru forum too. You should get your friend to do that I think a subtle 1" lift would be dope on his car.

Also I've seen XC90 springs swapped onto a XC70. Another cheap avenue if you go to a junkyard pick and pull
      Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k
      IG: psychocross_v70

Took the XC out for a drive on some dirt and gravel washboard mountain roads today. My favorite. As Ive mentioned, I had a lifted 1st gen Toyota 4Runner as my DD/adventure vehicle before this, so the volvo has been driven more conservatively until recently. Was fun to push it a little bit and fishtail some corners. Need to drive it more on this sort of terrain to get to know how it handles better.

No action shots unfortunately (solo) but a nice one at this 3-way crossroads

Cool

At last...The Skid Plate Install!

So I've had the plate for like 6 weeks now, and I just couldn't deal with it not being on the car anymore. Was on tight deadline for a client project that I turned in Tuesday morning, and had not had much time at all for tinkering in the evenings the past couple weeks, so I was happy to jump on it tonight and get it on there. Removing the old "skid plate" was a breeze.I thought the bolts would be more of a problem than they were. I feel like the few times I've gone to wrench on this car I've been surprised by the ease with which bolts loosen. Guess that's what happens when a vehicle is garage kept most of its life. I used to have to dump PB Blaster on my Toyota truck to do anything to it.

The first trick was figuring out how I was going to support the much more substantial IPD aluminum plate on my own while underneath the car with low clearance in order to line it up. I was able to place a skateboard on its side, which proved to be a nice height to allow the rear of the plate to rest while I put a few bolts up front. Everything was going smoothly and I had three bolts in, so I decided to try and get the back one lined up. It seemed like the bolt was juussstt long enough to reach the hole above. For the life of me, I could NOT get the ****ing thing to thread with it's washer! No washer? It would just reach, but try as I might, when I put the washer back and aimed again, I couldn't get it to bite. This went on for 20 minutes, at which point I got so frustrated I had to take a break to eat and calm down. I searched around and was able to find a washer that seemed the slightest bit thinner, and was a bit smaller in diamteter, but not too small. I went back out there and within a few tries got it threaded. Tightened 'em all down, and boom, Done!

My impressions of the plate itself are mixed. I worked in architectural fabrication for several years up until recently. I have very high standards for component manufacturing and I was bummed to see that the fit and finish on this was not nearly as nice as the other IPD products i've ordered so far. There were lots of unground jagged edges that could have easily cut me up (one almost did) while I was installing it, and the coating was subpar. I was also disappointed to see that it in fact covers less of the underbelly than the factory splash guard; though I remember reading that so wasn't totally surprised. On the "good" side, it was thicker than I imagined it to be, and it seems like it should protect the things it's meant to quite well. I may take it to my old shop and run some reinforcing angle on the bottom ala theshadow. But I'm gonna run it stock for a while.

Cosmetic Care

Historically, I don't wash my cars much. I'm talking 2x a year. That's changing. I took the Volvo and gave it a good wash at the local DIY, vacuumed it out thoroughly, and cleaned all interior surfaces and windows. Then I applied the Auto Glym Bumper and trim gel that Freedomfries recommended. It's only day one but i have to say the results are great! I just wish it fixed scratches in the plastic trim too lol. But now the bumpers look the deep off-black that I once remembered them which is great. i also decalled the fairing on my cargo basket

Next up on my list will probably be rear-wheel spacers, or that was the plan until I discovered this. Reluctant to throw anything else into the mix, but also want to get them on and try them out. Still chasing that Minor fuel system leak CEL, but not too worried about it as I think it is very likely the gas cap/software upgrade rather than a legit problem. I'll get around to that sooner or later....

Got another cool install on deck soon too. Light related. waiting on a few bits in the mail. Stay tuned.......

I wasn't very impressed with the finish of the skid plate either. Do you think it's worth the sale price?

The trim looks better than new with the Autoglym! My trim still looks good but I will probably reapply it semiannually.

You might want to look into a wheel hanger guide tool. Makes life a lot easier when mounting wheels on spacers. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MWAQGSQ?psc=1
      Last edited by freedomfries; 09-17-2015 at 01:38 AM.

I wasn't very impressed with the finish of the skid plate either. Do you think it's worth the sale price?

The trim looks better than new with the Autoglym! My trim still looks good but I will probably reapply it semiannually.

You might want to look into a wheel hanger guide tool. Makes life a lot easier when mounting wheels on spacers. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MWAQGSQ?psc=1
      I do think the skidplate is worth the money at the sale price, but just barely. I might not feel the same at full price. I'm trying to remember what we were paying for aluminum sheets of this gauge last when I was in fabrication, but of course I can't. Because of their irregular size, I'm not sure if you could get more than 4 of these out of a 4'x8" sheet of Alu. Of course IPD is getting these made in India not upstate NY, and it's probably chinese metal and a crappy alloy. So significantly cheaper than whatever our small shop was paying.

Ahhhh, the things you can crank out with a waterjet and a pressbrake.

Those wheel thingys look nice. Did you install your spacers yet?

If you guys are interested in taking your trim from off-black to black, I've had really good luck with Griot's Rubber Prep and Forever Black Trim Dye on my 04's Trim.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Those wheel thingys look nice. Did you install your spacers yet?
      Haven't had a chance to pick them up from my mailbox in the US. Once I get them then I can finally start my turning circle project

Haven't had a chance to pick them up from my mailbox in the US. Once I get them then I can finally start my turning circle project
      This is an Intriguing statement hahaha. Where in Canada are you?

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      If you guys are interested in taking your trim from off-black to black, I've had really good luck with Griot's Rubber Prep and Forever Black Trim Dye on my 04's Trim.
      Got pictures? I've been considering a few different "permanent" solutions for black trim.

Got pictures? I've been considering a few different "permanent" solutions for black trim.
      Yeah, let me try and find them from earlier this year.

Edit:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2516926
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 09-20-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Linky
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

More dipping

Took my grill out and dipped it yesterday. No mounted pics yet cause it's staying out while I do one more thing to front end.

What, no Sharpie?

Plasti Dip is amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Yeah, let me try and find them from earlier this year.

Edit:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2516926
      That looks great. I may have to give it a go. A week and a couple rainstorms later, my auto glym still looks good, but there seems to be residue that is coming off which annoys me. Got some on my pants leg the other day.

What, no Sharpie?

Plasti Dip is amazing stuff!
      They were all out of sharpies at Walmart so I had to settle for plastidip ;-) it really is pretty amazing. Everytime I use it I think "this isn't going to work" when it comes time to peel on an edge (such as the emblem) and then it does and I'm psyched. Don't think I'd ever use it for anything other than trim and emblems and ****--I'd powdercoat wheels or properly paint a whole vehicle not dip --but it's still rad.

That looks great. I may have to give it a go. A week and a couple rainstorms later, my auto glym still looks good, but there seems to be residue that is coming off which annoys me. Got some on my pants leg the other day.

They were all out of sharpies at Walmart so I had to settle for plastidip ;-) it really is pretty amazing. Everytime I use it I think "this isn't going to work" when it comes time to peel on an edge (such as the emblem) and then it does and I'm psyched. Don't think I'd ever use it for anything other than trim and emblems and ****--I'd powdercoat wheels or properly paint a whole vehicle not dip --but it's still rad.
      Thanks! I'm really happy with it. You shouldn't have any problem with residues from the dye. The Griot's does a nice job of cleaning/stripping the trim. I used a sponge to apply it so I could scrub.

You should really consider dip for wheels. It does such a nice job of dressing up worn wheels, allowing you to test colors on your wheels for future powder coating, and protecting your wheels from grime and staining. I did it for the first time this summer and I'm super pleased with it. Here was the post that inspired me to try it:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...h-Ti-Grey-P2Rs

The thing that steers me away from plastidip for wheels is actually how much dirt/dust/grime the stuff seems to attract. Feel like they would be a pain to clean but maybe that's not the case. Are you running dipped wheels rn? There's some cool stuff in that thread, but it's all pretty "sporty" for lack of a better word. I was just gonna murder out some tellus; not very creative, but certainly tried and true and powdercoat will looks And feel superior to plastidip in that case based on my smaller experiments.

tried and true and powdercoat will looks And feel superior to plastidip in that case based on my smaller experiments.
      I guess you haven't tried a sharpie yet?

2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      I guess you haven't tried a sharpie yet?

Black wheels here we come!

So as I speed along into enthusiast territory, I'm starting to think--only ponder mind you--about the possibility of some light engine tuning. For now I'm plenty satisfied bolting **** onto my car to adventurify it, getting larger tires, Aux lights etc, but I know myself well enough to know that after a certain point, I'll be "done" with that, and will perhaps want to move on to real performance mods.

With that said, where does one begin with stuff like this? I've checked out your thread extensively, and looked into what EST offers, but beyond that I'm fairly clueless. I don't even really know enough about my own vehicle stock at this point, but I'm learning pretty fast. When I'm ready to take that next step into a "stage 1", where should I direct my energy?

I don't want to clog up your thread, so feel free to take this to PM if it seems irrelevant.
      My generic response:

Are you looking for more top end, or off the line low end performance?

The stock turbo will serve you well for city and merging on the highway, but runs out of puff around 4.5k rpm, this is why people (and myself) have opted for turbo upgrades.

Hands down, bang-for-buck gains, safe and reliable, get an ECU tune and call it a day, and save your money for maintenance. Looking for more? Then I suggest a downpipe and an intercooler. A catback exhaust and intake upgrades are not really necessary, the stock air box flows quite well and a cat back is really for sound (unless you really need/want every pony out of your engine). The stock cat is the biggest bottleneck in the whole system, and the intercooler is susceptible to heatsoak which will tax performance.

Sourcing parts?
      You can scour the classifieds to see what pop up. You can purchase a used turbo and rebuild it. For a new turbo I'd source one from kinugawa. OBX has the cheapest pipe, but quality is questionable.

When tuning/upgrading always contact your turner for their suggestions/requirements based on your power goals.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 09-23-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, man.

My short response to your first question is: I'm not entirely sure what results im after at this point.

The longer response goes something like this. On its own, A lot of the stuff I'm doing or plan to do to make the vehicle more adventure-utility capable may lower power, and blunt performance/handling characteristic. So as I do this, I'm trying to pay attention to how I might improve those things such that they "balance" out the effect of the off-road mods. If that makes sense? In the near future that means sways, subfame bushings, strut conversion etc. Medium term I'd like to do brakes and exhaust (the latter mostly because my factory is rusting out). Long term, I'd like to improve engine performance to Mitigate any power and torque lost by runing larger tires/lift/big roof rack etc.

I don't need some crazy stage III ****; just something that provides a little more of the "jump off the line" I inagine I'll lose, as well as maybe some top end oompf.

What would you reccomend for a basic ECU tune package? Is the EST branded product any good?

While I've no experience with EST's power package, the gains for a stage 1 are fairly consistent across tuners, so you could expect to see the same gains from Hilton as you would from RICA, IPD, or so on.

Swaybars for off-road? Swaybars are meant to improve on-road performance and can actually impact off-road performance negativly as you loose some of the articulation in the suspension. I know some in the Jeep world who will disconnect their endlink for hydro trail runs. While I haven't experienced any negatives with the IPD swawbars, I also don't seriously off-road my XC. To me it's a street vehicle with moderate off-road capabilities.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 09-24-2015 at 12:01 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast