Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
      Nah, swaybars were among the components I listed meant to sharpen up on-road handling. I realize what I'm saying is a little confusing and counterintuitive. Put simply I am using my XC for the same stuff you are I imagine, and when it comes to swaybars, my understanding from research is that the on-road benefits outweigh the off-road negatives. I am NOT trying to rock crawl this. When I say "off-road" I mean, "on-road off the beaten path" more often than not.

I'll look more into the stage 1s offered by different tuners, THX.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ok, just checking your focus

I suggest going with Hilton Tuning for both price and service, and because he has done a great job tuning my setup. Hilton will tailor the tune to your vehicle via datalogging, other tuners are just "off-the-shelf" tunes that they have developed from their own research. You'll need a DiCE hook up and a laptop to perform the datalogging, great excuse to get setup with a VIDA/DiCE. Apparently there's a trouble-free VIDA/DiCE setup being sold.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Ebay-Right-Now
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 09-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

That has to be a PC doesn't it? Argh. Got an old-ish Mac laptop kicking around that would be perfect for dedicating to something like this.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nope, can be ran through a virtual machine. I used to use my wife's macbook until she got pissed at me for always taking it for the Volvo, she dosen't understand . Now I have a $100 beater toshiba with WinXP and VIDA2010D dedicated to the Volvo.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 09-24-2015 at 02:30 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Hella 500 series black magic driving lights (!!!)

Very excited about these. Had no idea it was possible and that Tasca stocked an OEM kit for the project. So I banged it out yesterday afternoon. It's the "biggest" project I've taken on yet (laughable for the more experienced) and im psyched I didn't fry the car. This instructional was super helpful: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...on-Guide/page2

Here they are:

Really happy with the way they came out with a few nit-picky exceptions. They are wired into the brights and turn on/off through a OEM switch on the dash that replaced one of my dead switches. Really neat and clean.
      Last edited by Young Satchel; 09-24-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      The thing that steers me away from plastidip for wheels is actually how much dirt/dust/grime the stuff seems to attract. Feel like they would be a pain to clean but maybe that's not the case. Are you running dipped wheels rn? There's some cool stuff in that thread, but it's all pretty "sporty" for lack of a better word. I was just gonna murder out some tellus; not very creative, but certainly tried and true and powdercoat will looks And feel superior to plastidip in that case based on my smaller experiments.
      They are actually pretty easy to clean and shine up:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ing-Plasti-dip

I'm currently running my Pegs dipped black with gold metallizer. It looks awesome!

Those are all sporty looking, but that way on purpose. I just wanted you to see that dip can look good. There are also colors that are very rugged looking like:
      https://www.dipyourcar.com/Camo-Colors-cat/

Or one of many other matte colors:
      https://www.dipyourcar.com/Kit-Wheels-Matte-Finish.html

This guy just went straight black dip, like what you used for your trim:
      http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/pla...ls-128388.html

If none of those are enough, people have also found you can put down a solid dip base and then use actual spray paint over top of the dip and it creates removable spray paint. That's all just something to consider since it's so cheap to fool around with and then you can see if you'd like a color on your wheels permanently.

Edit: Do you have a part # for that kit? I'm thinking of picking up an XC soon and I could definitely see adding those!
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Thanks for the links man. It actually never occurred to me that I could dip my wheels with tires on em like jeep guy did in your example. Seems weird, but that would be a fun, easy way to test on the wheels I have on the vehicle now since I only have that one set rn.

Here's the link to the parts kit via Tasca: http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/30772053 . It contains everything you need except for the lights. You could probably fab up something if you're nice with the metalwork and then use the harness and switch kit that comes with the lights for cheaper. But this kit makes it pretty easy and clean, and comes with a switch that pops straight into the dash. Happy with it.

Noticed you have NY plates. I'm frequently travel through the state and would love to meet up and bs about our cars. And my question is does that light mounting kit for the non-XC cars....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k
      IG: psychocross_v70

Quote Originally Posted by wagonfan00 View Post
      Noticed you have NY plates. I'm frequently travel through the state and would love to meet up and bs about our cars. And my question is does that light mounting kit for the non-XC cars....

Yeah man I'm staying in columbia county right now while fixing up a house we bought right across the river in greene county. Bout 2 hrs north of NYC. Hit me up if your passing through. Just to be clear, I don't know **** about cars. Know way more about bicycles at this point :-). But I'm learning fast.

I believe that kit fits xc90s, xc70s, v70s, and s80s? Or something. I'll double check the manual tomorrow but I remember several steps where it says "for xc70s, do blah blah blah, for v70s do such and such". And it came with different spacers for bumpers of different thicknesses.

Awesome!!! And for sure I'll send a PM. Probably will have my bike with me

Current: 2002 V70 Base N/A M56 161k (Straight pipe, short shift kit) 1988 745T AW-71L 249k (BC coilovers, Hydras, eBay MBC @13psi, 2.5" Catless exhaust **for sale**)
      Past: 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55 Getrag 6 Speed (Stock) 1997 855 T5 Auto 300k

Thanks for the links man. It actually never occurred to me that I could dip my wheels with tires on em like jeep guy did in your example. Seems weird, but that would be a fun, easy way to test on the wheels I have on the vehicle now since I only have that one set rn.

Here's the link to the parts kit via Tasca: http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/30772053 . It contains everything you need except for the lights. You could probably fab up something if you're nice with the metalwork and then use the harness and switch kit that comes with the lights for cheaper. But this kit makes it pretty easy and clean, and comes with a switch that pops straight into the dash. Happy with it.
      For the price, it's completely worth fooling around with wheel colors. The best part is that if you don't like it or want to redo it or try something new, you just peel it and go again.

The ultimate guide to dipping wheels:
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFYX_5cS1go

Awesome! Thanks for the #. I'm not sure if this site has made it over to wagon-world, but one of the other well priced OEM providers is Volvo Parts Lisle:
      http://volvopartslisle.com/part/OEM-...Attachment-Kit

Obviously there are several others, but for OEM parts, Lisle is a good source and regularly has the best or nearly the best pricing.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Any pics of the grill with the plasti dip? im thinking about it too
      Last edited by worldin; 09-25-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: never mind, saw it now, looks cool!
      2003 V70 D5 AWD Sold
      2002 V70 XC 185k miles, IPD end-links, Mobil-1 Full Synth.

Auxiliary lights look badass!

Probably one of my better pics of the grille.

Damn who's the homie in red? His volvo is sick too. Lights galore!

Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build

That's my friend. Ghettoed out light bar lmao. Using his horn brackets to mount the lights. Plus the 4 more led lights on the roof basket. 16T turbo, 3" turbo back straight pipe. It's louder than my car. Also stripped out the interior, race seats and roll cage. 01 S60 T5M

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Auxiliary lights look badass!
      Thanks!

I love that thing. Is he on here? Does he still have the car? I'd love more pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bennett15ify View Post
      I love that thing. Is he on here? Does he still have the car? I'd love more pictures of it.
      Still has the car and I don't think he is in here

New Tires, Spacer Considerations, and Thoughts on The Lift

So after way more internal debate than is warranted for a tire purchase, I made a choice and put new tires on the build on Thurs. I was considering, BFG AT2s, General Grabbers, and Cooper Discoverer AT3s. In addition to the Characteristics of the tires themselves, I also had to consider what sizes were available. On an xc70 w/ 16" rims without body mods, the largest tire you can fit is a 225/70r16. BFGs and the coopers were both available in that size, while Grabbers were not. Grabbers are available in 215/70r16, as are the coopers.

I read a **** ton of reviews on different sites and forums and went with the Coopers. I was stuck trying to decide on size, and after some back and forth chose the smaller 215/70r16 which is same width as stock, but about an inch taller. I liked the extra width of the 225s, but found the way they stuffed the rest well completely both aesthetically and functionally problematic. From pics I saw you cant even fit a finger between the wheel and front-rear fender liner. That seems stupid to me.

So here they are mounted and aligned fresh out the shop:

Rear

Front

Tread

Full

To give you an idea of rear clearance at this size

I think the diameter is pretty much dead on perfect for an XC with no suspension mods. Fills the wells with just the right ratio without feeling too cramped. Whereas BFGs and Grabbers look like puffy treaded donuts, these have a slightly sleeker "buzz saw" appearance to them which I think works nicely with the overall direction of my build. However, opting for a size down means I don't get the added width of the 225s which is unfortunate. The rear wheel profile still has the terrible "sunken in" appearance that irks me. The fronts are about 10mm off perfect.

So here's my question. I bought a set of 15mm spacers. Should I run those only in rear and potentially increase underrsteer on an already understeery car? Or should i just sell these and go with even 25mm kits in front and rear to max out the stance without affecting the track ratio?

And finally, the lift. I see what IPD Ken was talking about when he said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@IPD View Post
      Thanks for the input Mr Satchel

Tim and Jevon did build a pretty nice rig there but the main sticking point (in my opinion) is the fender clearance. to fit the tire and wheel package they wanted there was sheet metal trimming required. I'm concerned that this is farther than most people would like to go. People love the lift, but the lift likes bigger tires for aesthetics. Kind of a catch 22.

Still exploring......
      I think I've concluded that lifting this car in a way that adds functionality and looks "right" basically requires body mods (or more), and that most (not all) lifted XCs I've seen other than the two IPD builds either look off (too stilted) or still have lateral clearances that are undesirable and best, and unsafe at worse.

I'll post further thoughts on the tires after I've driven them for more than 60 miles; but initially I will say I was surprised by how little road noise they produce, and just how little on road handling seems to be affected generally. Sharp turns feel a little bit less sharp, they do sometimes transmit more vibration, and acceleration off the line is slightly less peppy and they take longer to get up to speed. I took them on a nice dirt track for a 1/2 mile and when I launched I could almost feel them lightly compress and grip the earth before firing off. Good ****.

Looks so badass. I like where this is going

As for the spacers, I wouldn't stress about running the different widths in the back. I doubt you'll notice a difference in handling but it'll look awesome

That looks amazing... I wish I had thought of that when tire shopping for the XC70. Went with Contis in the stock size instead. Some days I miss the fun of lifted cars... Oh well, I have a crap turning radius, useless headlights, and no ground clearance instead There's something to be said for the versatility of the P2 XC70.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Thanks Dudes!

After some more spirited dirt and gravel driving today, I'm very happy with my choice thus far. But I can't really make a call on the tires until they've seen a few thousand miles and plenty of mud, rain, sleet, snow, ice etc. Also gotta run a couple of tanks of gas thru to get an idea of how badly they impact fuel economy. The roof basket took me down a notch, though not as much as I expected based on other people's complaints.

Hella grills for my driving lights came in too. They were supposed to come with the lights--or so I thought--but I guess they were from a different Amazon seller

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Looks so badass. I like where this is going

As for the spacers, I wouldn't stress about running the different widths in the back. I doubt you'll notice a difference in handling but it'll look awesome
      Placed an order for the 25mm kit for the rear. When that comes in I'll be doing the 15mms up front. Won't be flush in the rear but it's as good as I can get at this tire size without a new wheel set. In hoping it makes a difference visually.

Ran 2 full tanks thru since putting the tires on (town and country driving) and I'm averaging 20.88mpg. My average has been around 21.8-22.5 since putting the basket on so that's not much of a penalty which is great.

That's not bad at all. My VR gets 20.5mpg with lots of hilly traffic driving... Although I need to do coils so there is that. Time to shop for an XC to have fun with
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Wheels wheels wheels...

So I thought I had this figured out. I was basically going to just copy the IPD build and powdercoat some OEMs; most likely tellus, but lately that idea hasn't been sitting so well with me. A) while the IPD build project is my inspiration here, I'm not trying to follow it to a T. And B) I think tellus are an ok looking wheel, but that's about it. Their mag-like silhouette seems like a kind of obvious choice for the "off-road look" but maybe it's too obvious.

So I dug back in my browser history from several months ago when I was contemplating a second car purchase (still am) and was looking at cool **** I could do to a Subaru. I found a bunch of great gravel wheels that were exciting and Good looking, but when i started the XC project in earnest, I assumed none of them would work. But after watching a bunch of rad old Volvo rally videos this past week, as well as discovering some choice new gravel roads to rip up myself, I thought it might be cool to see if one of those rally-inspired wheels could fit the XC.

The Sparco Terra is that wheel. It is available in our bolt pattern, but would require hub-centric rings. I've never seen anything quite like them on an XC, and with the tires im running and the overal aesthetic direction of the build I think they might be a perfect--if not obviously so--fit. I'd get the light grey ones with the option to paint later if the color didn't do it for me. let me know what you dudes think. They're on sale right now on tirerack and I'm thinking about making a move.

Sparco Terra 16"

On a VW camper van

On a Subaru

I know a shop on NY selling a set of 17" sparcos....I want to save up for them so bad.

So I'll take that as one "yes, gettem" vote :-)

Go for it. Though I really like the Tellus wheels (even considering some for my V70 if I can find them for the right price), these Sparco's are very handsome. I'd be interested to see how they look on an XC. I really really do like these.

Yeah I think they'll be sick. If I don't like em gray on the silver wagon I can always dip or powder coat em before putting em on. Or use this as an opportunity to experiment with colors on my OEM set. It's my birthday today and ive spent the whole day moving house by myself so this will be the only present I get today, but a good one!

Thanks for feedback dudes.

Yeah I think they'll be sick. If I don't like em gray on the silver wagon I can always dip or powder coat em before putting em on. Or use this as an opportunity to experiment with colors on my OEM set. It's my birthday today and ive spent the whole day moving house by myself so this will be the only present I get today, but a good one!

Thanks for feedback dudes.
      First off, Happy Birthday!

I have been following this thread since its creation and the inspiration and ideas gained from following has quickly made this one of my favorite threads on the forum. I really like what you've done with your car. The light bar, roof basket, and subtle tire size increase have really done a lot to improve the appearance of your XC. I hope to one day be able to do some of the same things you've done to my ride, an 01 XC with 230K (on the original transmission! ).

Concerning the wheels, I say YES! I've been eyeing those wheels for a while now, and I've been waiting for someone to put them on an XC so I can see how they look. I think they'll greatly improve the appearance of the XC and will really add towards your intended off road look.

Besides, it's your birthday and you've been working all day, treat yo' self!

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e
      1993 Volvo 850 NA 5-Speed Sold

Thanks so much man. Glad this thread is proving inspirational since it is the result of my own collection of inspirations including the XC70AT, the IPD build, and Wes Siler's outback project to name a few. Happy to continue the chain!

I've ordered the wheels and they should arrive weds so If schedule allows i May have them mounted for the weekend. My 25mm spacers should arrive Thursday as well so I should have a slightly wider stance soon enough.

Fall is definitely in full effect up here. Yesterday was a cloudy rainy one in the low 50s. All these falling leaves and twigs threaten to clog the drains and I've been trying to stay on top of that.

Those wheels will look great, do it!

And happy belated birthday!

Young Satchel- belated happy birthday. Glad to hear about the wheel purchase. Those will be good looking. Can't wait to see pictures!
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Wheels!

Wheels came today. Ordered Saturday night from tire rack. Arrived today. Super quick. A real live human even called to ask if I meant to order extra center caps since the wheels came with them (I did); very impressive! They look perfect, and will look even better once debadged and with new black center caps.

Gravel wheels on....gravel

Rim detail

My Patented "real-life-photoshop" technique ;-) (don't mind the wrench box and cardboard shim)

Just waiting for my 25mm rear spacers to come in and I'll be getting them mounted up. I like that they are something a bit different for the XC without screaming "aftermarket." the grey is a little darker and less shiny than the stock alloys which is just right for me. Black is tempting, but I'm gonna run em as is for a while first before powder or dip.

Hope to have them on before the weekend if my schedule cooperates.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast