Noise while turning
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Noise while turning

only if i turn right... first heard on an off-ramp -- much quieter than, say, tires squealing, but fairly audible. can hear it at parking lot speeds if the steering wheel is at full lock. nothing else seems to be askew, so... will be taking it in for 20K service very soon, and this sounds like it can wait for a week or so. thoughts? does it sound familiar to anybody? not sure how electric power steering works, sounds like it might be related to some ps malfunction...
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I actually heard this on my car the other day as well. Not sure if it's the same sound but, it kind of sounds like squealing? but not the tires...
      2013 S60 R-Design | Seville Grey | Platinum | Climate | NAV | 19" IXION | Polestar ECU | KPAX exhaust

Right on cue, the car asked to book time for maintenance, so I'll keep the thread updated. It's not really a squealing sound... More like hissing. I dunno, describing sounds on the internet is kinda thankless job :-/... Seems suspension load dependent. I might pull the wheel and see if there's any sign of rubbing...
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So my updated theory, is that it's rear pads worn out. Turned dstc off, took the same curve -- all quiet. Will post after dealership visit.
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

I have the same thing, sounds like a scraping sound from the front left wheel but only when turning right with tight turning. Can't figure it out .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, exactly what I have. The service appointment is on Friday because that was the earliest day to get a loaner :shrug:
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

Id be interested to hear what they find, I'm going to book a dealer check up tomorrow too. I tested it today with various speeds and turns and found reversing and turning left is the same, ( actually louder).

Try disabling DSTC...
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

Thanks I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigs NJ cousin View Post
      Try disabling DSTC...
      Did you have your appointment yet?
      2013 S60 R-Design | Seville Grey | Platinum | Climate | NAV | 19" IXION | Polestar ECU | KPAX exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Fatsilentnin View Post
      Did you have your appointment yet?
      Two posts above: this Friday.
      I am sorry about the delay ;-)
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Stigs NJ cousin View Post
      Two posts above: this Friday.
      I am sorry about the delay ;-)
      Clearly i can read... my bad

So... "Could not reproduce"

Funny enough, I can't either. I am not crazy, three people in the car heard it very well before. So I have a solemn promise that if I hear it again and bring it back again they will send the tech with me and will try to troubleshoot again. Visual inspection returned nothing... Pads are good front and rear.

In other news: alignment was out of whack in the front (20k miles for chrissakes... )

Separately and independent of alignment issues, my PSS are well on their way to last through the end of this summer and maaaaaaaay be part of the next season. 10K miles from a set is a bit intense...
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

Stigs, has that noise come up back at all? I just experienced the same on my '16 V60 @ 10K miles

Under full lock steering at low speeds; sounds like a hissing or 'under load' noise with some faint knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_yell View Post
      Stigs, has that noise come up back at all? I just experienced the same on my '16 V60 @ 10K miles

Under full lock steering at low speeds; sounds like a hissing or 'under load' noise with some faint knocking.
      Nope. At 30K rear pads were replaced (worn but not far enough to damage the rotors). I am now past 40K, haven't heard that since...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -- 2014 S60 R-Design

Thanks for the update Stigs! I will take a look at my rear pads

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements