SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 V70R with Broken Timing Belt: Fair Price

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  LloydDobler 
#1 ·
Hello:

Looking at a 2005 V70R that had its timing belt broken with just under 90k, the owner has had the car since 50k and basically said the only maintenance performed was fluid changes, brakes and battery. The car has basic wear and tear the interior is a mess looks better
in photos, and wheels have road rash. With that being said knowing that the car is 10 years old and will have some major repairs coming down the road (suspension, cooling, angle gear, along with the timing belt broken and the bent valves. The owner is asking $3500 as it sits in its not running condition, belt broke beginning of September. Is this a fair price?

Long time Volvo owner/sufferer just overhauled the motor in my 96 960 with 280k so have an idea what I'm getting into....

Thanks Jeff

#2 ·
Well if the belt broke, then you are looking at engine damage, so there's that.

#3 ·
Book it in the condition its in, but drivable, then get a idea of the cost to replace the engine incl labor and subtract that from the book value. Drop 10-15% or so off that and see if it comes in less than $3500.

I mean, the only other people that are going to want it are going to want to part it out.

#7 ·
Here are some photos the owner provided, (link at bottom) and description. I saw it in person and the interior is pretty dirty and I question the level of maintenance especially with the neglect of not changing the timing belt.

"We broke the timing belt. The belt has not been replaced and the engine has not been examined for valve or piston damage. Otherwise the car is mechanically sound. Left rear fender has a shallow dent and slightly cracked left tail light (see photo, spare tail light included). There is a dent in right rear door/quarter. Front lower air dam split."

300 HP AWD wagon - this car has all the options
Red with tan metallic leather interior
5 Speed auto with tiptronic
DVD based Nav System with pop-up monitor (includes East coast DVD)
A/C blows cold
Sunroof fully functional
Third row seat
IMIV ipod system
1.125" trailer hitch installed
Volvo roof rack

We've put ~40,000 on the car in the last 7 years and she has served us well. We have done brakes two sets of tires and all scheduled oil changes. The battery was replaced last winter. It would be nice if someone would buy her and put her right. She's fast and solid.

She'll need to be trailered.

https://goo.gl/photos/ymcYe8gDFQnty9XcA

#10 ·
If you could get it for $2K did all the work on it, you could have a very nice ride for under $10K
Not many cars comparable in that range.
The big question is the engine and tranny. You could always get your money back if you parted it out if the engine were toast.
If you need a project and feel lucky, I say give it a shot.

The car looks like something I've seen here with the pin stripping?

#11 ·
I figure out the door in parts you're looking at around

• $1000 for a head job (assuming the block is ok)
  • $300 for a PCV
  • $250 for a timing belt/water pump
  • $350 for random seals/fluids
  • $1500 for front/rear struts and LCAs
  • $450 for an angle gear/collar gear
  • $120 for VIDA
  • $100 for a new tail light

That's not bad for a passion red VR...

#12 ·
I'd find out what if anything has actually been towed with the car to determine if the transmission has had additional stress from towing.

That car may be looking at a transmission rebuild/swap in it's future as well.

#15 ·
If it's just dirty and the seats don't have torn seams or bad scratches then I'd probably pay up to $3k for it. If it needs seat restoration then it needs to go a bit lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.