Need help with ODB2 Error Code / CEL after Ferrita Downpipe Install
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Need help with ODB2 Error Code / CEL after Ferrita Downpipe Install

So finally got a code reader from amazon, read the instructions and plugged it in.

Pretty neat little unit actually.

I was able to determine that my check engine light is a result of code P2270 "O2 Sensor Signal Stuck" from $07E8.

I cleared the code, and of course the CEL went out, but the same code came right back as a "pending" code.

Any ideas what I should try next?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Talk to Viva I would say because you're using their sensor spacer as well aren't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ODIN: 2014 Volvo S60 R Design - Passion Red

I'd think you'd get a cat efficiency code if it was due to the high flow cat throwing off readings. It almost sounds like there's a problem with the signal from the 02 sensor itself. Is it possible you damaged the 02 sensor or the wiring during the downpipe swap?
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I suppose anything is possible, but I was as careful as I could be with removal, storing the O2 sensor in a safe spot and not pulling directly on the wires.

Another website said that code could relate to "air in the exhaust"?

Code came on the day after install, then I cleared it by disconnecting the battery. Then it came back on twice more (both times when I was driving slow in commuter traffic).

Hmmm...the added airflow in the exhaust stream could definitely account for "air in the exhaust". Sounds like the spacer isn't doing its job properly. In the modded VW community many people who have persistent 02 related CEL issues have had better luck with using an "angle block"-style spacer like the one I suggested from 42 Draft Designs. It better isolates a finicky 02 sensor from the exhaust stream than a straight spacer.

I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to analyze the conditions in which the CEL comes on, as a CEL can appear after the event that triggered it.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Do all O2 sensors use a common thread size? Will the VW part below fit the XC60 bung?

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/O2-Sen...cer_p_306.html

99.99% sure it's a universal size. I've always thought that they were a universal size in terms of thread size/ pitch, etc. and a quick google query would seem to confirm that. You might want to double-check that there's enough clearance within the exhaust tunnel to fit the 42dd spacer but I don't think it'll be an issue since it yields more space by having the 02 mounted in a swept-back position instead of perpendicular to the exhaust piping.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Thanks! Ordered. Will let you know if it works!

For the record though, the code reader plus the extra O2 sensor spacer totaled ~$110 with tax and shipping, which ate up most of the savings on the DP from the group buy...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      Thanks! Ordered. Will let you know if it works!
      Bump. Any udpdates? Extremely curious as to whether or not the 42DD 02 spacer fixed the CEL issue.
      13.1 at 101 mph

I would be very curious as well...

Bump. How'd that 42dd spacer work out?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but like to know how this issue got resolved. Was it by using a different spacer?

With my Ferrita downpipe I started off getting the code p0420 for cat efficiency, then added the Viva spacer, and that didn't take care of it. I recently bought a "non fouler" from the local auto parts store and stacked they on top of the spacer, and noticed this morning a pending code p2270 - 02 sensor stuck lean. My hunch is that now the rear o2 spacer is spaced out too much and needs to somewhere in the middle of the Viva spacer and where I added the extra spacer/non fouled. My hunch is that an adjustable spacer might do the trick to dial in the distance correctly. Before I go buy anything I'm wondering how you solve this issue. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

I have the Ferrita dp with the supplied spacer; never tripped a CEL with it. Connor did the install but I think the spacer went on the downstream (post-cat) 02 sensor. I would be wary of using a spacer on the upstream sensor because I'm fairly its readings determine fuel trims, and a false reading (when it's tricked with the spacer) would likely yield fuel trims based on what the ecu *thinks* is happening instead of apportioning fuel according to actual airflow. AFAIK downstream 02 readings won't change fuel trims, they just measure whether or not the cat is in place and working properly. That's the one you can fool without potentially running unsafe fuel trims. Unfortunately the more boost you are running and the more open your intake and exhaust is, the more air you push through and the harder it is to fool the 02 sensor that everything is normal and legal. You might want to try that angle block spacer from 42 Draft Designs which worked great for me on my extensively modified GTI's turboback.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Well the lean code was only pending and went away on its own. I'm wondering if Northwest anything specific to clear it or the spacer did the trick eventually.. I checked into the 42DD spacers and their website shows not available. I did find a spacer on Amazon that looked pretty cool - sweep 90 degree spacer with different inserts to slow the flow of gas within the spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

I have a 2010 XC60 T6 r-design that I hollowed out the cat converter to make it fully empty and put a straight spacer on my rear o2 sensor and im also now getting a P2270 rear o2 stuck lean code. It came on after like 50 miles and I cleared and now its come on like 100 miles later. It has like 122k miles and im wondering if the rear o2 sensor is bad because that's one of the possibilities according to Vida. Or its too far out of the stream. I was thinking of removing the spacer all together and driving it to see if the same code came back and that I would think would indicate the rear o2 sensor **** the bed and is bad.

Hi all, sorry I've been neglecting my own thread here!

P0420 means that the O2 sensor is too close (needs more spacer/less exposure).

P2270 means that the O2 sensor is too far (needs less spacer/more exposure).

The original viva spacer was yielding a 2270 code due to being too long and having a very small bore.

Switched to the 42DD spacer and still had codes (though I don't recall which one).

Finally, viva sent a replacement spacer, and have been running that for a year or more with no issues.

So essentially there's a sweet spot where the O2 sensor is getting enough exhaust so the computer can tell the sensor is working, but not so much exhaust that the o2 sensor can tell your ferrita DP cat isn't going to win any green peace awards :-).

You may need two or three different units before you land on a combo that's right for your setup.
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Custom Exhaust, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors
      For Sale: CHEAP! 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Sway Bars / XC60 T6 parts as replaced above

So do you have the spacer number or know where I could find the spacer they sent you?

So far my Ferrita dp hasn't thrown a single CEL with whatever spacer it came with, in my application (P* enhanced S60 T6 with stock intake, D088 FMIC, stock catback). NWMoose, I see you also have a catback, meaning you now run a full turboback exhaust. I suspect people run into more difficulty keeping the 02 sensor happy when you unplug the rest of the turboback and are able to move a higher volume of exhaust than when the system has a bottleneck anywhere in the exhaust stream.

With the stock dp and an aftermarket catback, or an aftermarket dp and stock dp, your flow potential would likely be limited by whatever stock components remained, but once you have a full setup I'd imagine your 02 sensor would start to catch wind of your mods and it would be harder to shroud it to perfectly simulate it sitting within the stock exhaust stream.

The spacer would likely be even harder to tune with mods that create an even greater volume of exhaust gas, such as if/ when you run a tune that pushes more boost, assuming that tune doesn't attempt to use any software trickery to turn off or desensitize the rear 02 sensor (methods which can keep you CEL-free but which would also be likely to fail increasingly stringent diagnostic tests during your annual inspection). I'll likely be purchasing the TDI Tuning box before I make any additional hardware changes. I'll be curious if it moves enough additional air that I start to get CELs too.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 04-20-2017 at 07:23 AM.
      13.1 at 101 mph

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements