Enter... the WarWagon
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Enter... the WarWagon

So, let me start off by saying that this is NOT my car. This car belongs to my friend and co-worker, Warwagon, here on the forum.

Here is how the car started off, plain old 2001 V70XC, the plastic trim was blue and fading badly, we plastidipped the trim and bumpers black and it turned out great. Most recently it had a Hilton Stage 2 tune loaded, this thing is a beast now, flying thru the RPMs like it's nothing.

Shortly after plastidipping the trim we turned to the paint. . . not exactly the manliest factory color. That's nothing some more plastidip won't solve! This is currently what the car looks like

The best part? This thing actually gets off roaded more than most Jeeps. Steep hills, dead trees, it crawls over everything.

Not too long ago a deer decided to jump out in front of it. . . didn't turn out so good for the deer, all the Warwagon required was new radiator and a few stitches, good as new!

Current upgrades include:

-Hilton Stage 2 tune
      -IPD silicone intercooler couplers
      -IPD CBV spring
      -Snabb turbo inlet pipe
      -Maximizer HP 3" catless downpipe and exhaust

Future upgrades:
      -roof rack
      -light bar(s)
      -suspension upgrade (lift, sway bars, end links)
      -brush guard

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think that color combo works just great. Could it be manlier, maybe, but the matte finishes tip the needle to the manly side of the scale. Big thumbs up!
      2003 V70 2.4L 5spd
      Mods: T5 Rear Swaybar, T5 Front Brakes, 17" Amalthea Wheels

Yes! Been waiting for this thread
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Enter... the WarWagon

Did you stitch the deer?
      Love the colour combo

XC70 2011 D5
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

I really want to get an old (read cheap) P2 XC and do this for those days where there's too much snow for the VR. Lift that puppy and throw some big freakin' tires on... and a hater pipe... maybe.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      I really want to get an old (read cheap) P2 XC and do this for those days where there's too much snow for the VR. Lift that puppy and throw some big freakin' tires on... and a hater pipe... maybe.
      Yeah, the P2XC is getting to be pretty affordable!

So my co-worker got creative and made his own budget R-kelly intake, after the deer took out the driver side fog light it only made sense to re-purpose the vacant opening in the bumper, right?

As I mentioned before, with the cone air filter and the Peirburg valve this thing acts completely different since the tune. Not "R" fast, but impressive for what it is!

Get an R airbox... Running no airbox means high IATs.
      Exponents kill
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Interesting you suggest this, I just took the air box off my R as well

Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      Interesting you suggest this, I just took the air box off my R as well ��
      One of the best designed parts of the car... And people take it off for no good reason. If you swap it it also frees up space in an XC engine bay for a box 8" square...
      Exponents kill

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Get an R airbox... Running no airbox means high IATs.
      No issues with IATs with my open filter and heat shield, but do agree that the stock box does perform very well and is what I use on a daily basis.

Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-27-2015 at 07:59 AM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Planning on making a new *larger* air box, I can't see buying these $300-400 boxes that are on the market when I could bend up something like that in an hour or so.

Keep the airbox and run additional ducting to it, like the "R Kelly" intake.
      2004 V70 SE 2.4 NA with a 33' turning circle!

What about the sound? Oh, how I do like the sound!
      Do you not like to hear the turbo go round?
      No air box to dampen when your turbo's spun,
      Will give a giggly-tickely feeling to your thumb.
      And how that turbo will charge you down all the roads,
      all other cars left behind like croaking toads.
      It's really best if you need a moment,
      to fill yourself with some enjoyment!
      Do you know that feeling I'm talking about?
      Come be a fool! Don't knock it until you try it out!

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2551058

(I've been reading A LOT of Dr.Seuss to my kids recently)
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 11-27-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Winter is here in full force, we got 3-5" of snow which in the south shuts everything down.

Have to keep the animals on the farm watered and fed, so War Wagon to the rescue!

What kind of animals eat kosher pickles?
      02 V70XC Silver Metallic 101K (kid's)
      13 S60 T6 AWD (mine)
      14 XC60 T6 (wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by ChubGrinder View Post
      What kind of animals eat kosher pickles?
      Fair enough

The buckets are actually full of hot water to help melt the frozen water in the animals stalls.

But then it will re freeze
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 139K miles and still near perfect
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Not before they get a drink

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

And the kosher pickles stop the ice from forming. Old Jewish farmer's trick.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      Not before they get a drink
      Exactly. Snow and freezing temps only lasted the weekend, highs in the 50s-60s the rest of the week. That's a North Carolina winter for ya!

Well. . . the War Wagon seems to have developed an issue having to add coolant about two to three times a week now, so either a head gasket or a split cylinder liner as a result of turning the boost up. Either way, she'll be getting a "dougy" special, rebuilt 2.3 block with some other upgrades to increase power
      [/url]

Noooooooooo Hoping for a speedy and uneventful rebuild!

I see a roof basket has been added; looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Well. . . the War Wagon seems to have developed an issue having to add coolant about two to three times a week now, so either a head gasket or a split cylinder liner as a result of turning the boost up. Either way, she'll be getting a "dougy" special, rebuilt 2.3 block with some other upgrades to increase power
      [/url]
      Have you performed a "carbon in coolant" test?

When my radiator had a pressure leak there were no obvious signs of a leak around until the radiator was removed.

I have not performed a "carbon in coolant test", actually never heard of that either, oddly.

The radiator was actually replaced about a year ago after hitting the deer, so I tend to doubt that it's that.

When you crank the car up cold it misfires and stumbles for the first few seconds, which I can only assume is coolant in a cylinder being burnt off. I'll run a compression/leak down test too. But I have a bad feeling that it's cylinder liner/ headgasket related with the car being tuned running higher boost and getting the ever living **** beat out of it daily

I have not performed a "carbon in coolant test", actually never heard of that either, oddly.
      It's called a Glycol test
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 139K miles and still near perfect
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule!

It's called a Glycol test
      That would be to test for coolant (glycol) contamination in oil. The combustion leak test (couldn't think of the correct name) will test for carbon dioxide/monoxide (a combustion by-product) in the coolant system.

But either way, if the head gasket is blown or the block is cracked there will be peanut butter in the chocolate and choclate in the peanut butter .
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      But either way, if the head gasket is blown or the block is cracked there will be peanut butter in the chocolate and choclate in the peanut butter .
      That sounds tasty! Like a peanut butter cup!

And then the tin man got a heart...

Picked up the 2.3 today, dis-assembly to follow!

Engine came with both manifolds, turbo, A/C compressor, and power steering pump. I'm told it has 170k miles on it, which doesn't really matter considering it's getting a rebuild with H beams. Not a bad steal for $500!

Finally got a chance to tear into the heart transplant a little tonight, this thing looked super clean on the outside.

For 170,000 miles, this engine is ten times cleaner than I expected! The spark plug tubes were clean as a whistle!

WOW! If this is any indication of how this engine was treated by it's past owner, then this was well worth the money!

A little more work and I'll have the cylinder head off so I can send the block to the machine shop

Been watching this, love the painted trim & will hope to be doing the same to mine. Your new lump, while an unplanned change - looks fantastic. I wish mine was as clean.

But then, mine has 370,000km on in NS. Surrounded by the sea. In the wagons defense though, the thing is solid.

Can't remember if I asked this before, did you paint the trim with it on the car or did you remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      Can't remember if I asked this before, did you paint the trim with it on the car or did you remove it?
      Left the trim on the car, just had to clean the ever living jesus out of it before plastidipping it.

Thank you! Looks fantastic though.

Got the cylinder head off, this thing is mint! For $500, manifolds and turbo included. . . this was a steal!

Absolutely. Any mods planned? You know you've got a wicked opportunity here!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast