Enter... the WarWagon - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Maybe it's time for an update on the ole War Wagon. . .

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

^ As a lurker of this thread I wholeheartedly agree.
      2002 v70 xc Classic White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger XC View Post
      ^ As a lurker of this thread I wholeheartedly agree.
      +1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Uhhh, yeaaah!
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

The car has been out of the shop for about a week now, the engine is still in it's break in phase with break in oil for the next 1,000 miles, so no hard driving or any RPM over 3,500 for the next while.

Nothing has changed with the exterior looks, but I am working on a 1" bolt on lift for it at the moment, more details on that once I have the materials in hand.

Added some para-cord to the handle on the console, kinda matches the exterior color!

Hard to believe the car has this many miles! But a freshly built engine means there are plenty of miles ahead! Less than 500 miles on the rebuild, but 200+ on the chassis!

I'm hoping to get some decent pics with the DSLR once time permits, I'll be sure to post those!
      Last edited by all.teh.torques; 03-15-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Yessssssssssss! The War Wagon returns!!!

Can't wait to see what y'all do with it. Love this car.

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

F**kin' right! It Lives!

Happy to see a warm reception since it's been a good while that the car has been off the road and off the forums!

So I started a small project last night, I purposely saved a shock mount a while back to base a template off of for a 1" lift kit I'm working on.

I think I saved this film about 5 years ago knowing I would use it one day, have a whole box of it actually. . . used a sheet of it to make a rough outline of the shock mount.

Knocked the studs out as I'll be needing longer ones, probably actually use grade 8 bolts and weld them in place.

Now I'm just waiting on a 1" thick piece of high density polyethylene to make the finished product from. Once the fronts are done it will be much easier to make the rears.

That's rad. I hope to do something similar in the summer. Perhaps I'll find a way to take advantage of the R&D you've already done though

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      That's rad. I hope to do something similar in the summer. Perhaps I'll find a way to take advantage of the R&D you've already done though

Let me do all the hard work eh?! I see how it is!

Love seeing this thing back on the road! Still babying it until the next oil change, but otherwise all is good!

Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      Love seeing this thing back on the road]
      That makes two of us!

Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      'murica!

Small update: Materials arrived, and my guess was right, I'll be able to get 2 front spacers out of this piece

Traced out the template I made in my previous post, onto the HDPE sheet.

I've already tried cutting this stuff with a jig saw, and it didn't play nice, so I'm going to try taking it to a water jet as I've heard that may work better.

I'm digging this. I have a small urge to MadMax the hell out of an XC at some point, this is glorious. Do you expect camber to be too much off when raising it this much?
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
      I'm digging this. I have a small urge to MadMax the hell out of an XC at some point, this is glorious. Do you expect camber to be too much off when raising it this much?
      I've already given that some thought, and if it turns out to be and issue I'll just slot the bolts holes for the studs in the strut tower a hair. Pretty common thing with the autox community

Bandsaw with a coarse blade has been the best way to cut plastic that I've found.
      But i don't have a waterjet.

So the 1" thick stuff didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. Ended up going with some 1/2" stuff and the water jet cut through it like butta. Working on making the rears now.

Will you also install spacers on the subframe?

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Will you also install spacers on the subframe?
      Yes, that is the plan after the shock spares are done.

Wanted to check fitment, had to open up the holes a little to fit, but other than that, these things are perfect!

This material is very tough as well, but will contour to the strut tower and the strut mount.

And I may or may not have had some extras made. . . you know, in case anyone else is interested!

Hit. A. Player. Up.

(For real)

You are going to need toe bars to deal with the IRS changes... And maybe camber bushings... The car is going to end up with positive camber and toe out otherwise. That's what Volvo's multilink does when its up in the air. Thank passive rear steering for it. P3 would be easier because it uses trailing link IRS.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

If the subframe is spaced the same amount there will be no issues. You'll just be raising the body up from the subframe. Suspension, steering tie rods, and axles will maintain the same geometry.

You'll space out the front and rear subframes? I'm thinking there'll be an issue with engine mounts, atleast the top one, and IC piping, but I may have overplayed the problem in my mind.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

I think the only thing I'd be concerned with is brake hardlines and the steering U-joint. Everything else should be fine.

The IPD build is apparently doing quite well with a similar set up. I actually checked

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      The IPD build is apparently doing quite well with a similar set up. I actually checked
      And to give credit where it is due. . . I am stealing this page from Ken's build although he only made sub frame spacers from what I recall.

I didn't feel like taking the time to weld a plate to the front shocks like he did, the shock mount spacer is so much quicker to install, and no welding required! The sub frame spacers will come after I sort out the rear shock spacer as it a bit bigger, requires more material, and we are still modeling it to program the water jet. No rush, but I'm excited to see all these small pieces come together and see what the final outcome will be.

Youngsatchel, you'll be happy to know that the spare set of spacers is actually for you

Awwwwww, what a guy!

Finally got a set of rears made, but not sure I like how they turned out. . . also got another set of fronts made at the same time.

I think I'll end up revising the rear spacer design to incorporate the bolt holes that are used to secure the metal bucket to the body of the car. Regardless, progress is being made!

Love it!

Oh ya know. . . just lumberjack things. . .

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3