Enter... the WarWagon - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 83
    1. #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      Absolutely. Any mods planned? You know you've got a wicked opportunity here!
      Thanks! Plans include H-beam rods (the same one dougy used to make 400+ whp), Wiesco pistons (stock compression), to ensure we can turn the boost up and the internals will take it. Also a K24 R tubro, with an upgraded impeller of course the usual, port match the manifolds and head to improve air flow.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      Absolutely. Any mods planned? You know you've got a wicked opportunity here!
      Thanks! Plans include H-beam rods (the same one dougy used to make 400+ whp), Wiesco pistons (stock compression), to ensure we can turn the boost up and the internals will take it. Also a K24 R tubro, with an upgraded impeller of course the usual, port match the manifolds and head to improve air flow.
      That sounds impressive! What's the parts bill so far? Plus I'm guessing you'll need a remap after? What do you aim for results?

    4. #38
      Just like the 3 other engines I've built in the past, I don't build them with a horsepower goal in mind. Only reliability and overall performance.

      This car still being a daily driver for my co worker, the boost won't get turned up much more than it already is. The front wheels already try to break traction when you WOT when under 30 mph.

      With that in mind, 380hp would be nice, but it's not a target by any means.
      Last edited by all.teh.torques; 05-22-2016 at 08:08 PM.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Sounds perfect to me! My only worry is that 01 models are known to have the gearboxes made of cheese. Not really any great swaps I'm aware of either (would love a manual).

      But this is your car! Can't recall the year off hand but I've no doubt you're more clued up than myself to find a solution.

    7. #40
      I think this is an 01', worst case scenario manual swap later

    8. #41
      Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      I think this is an 01', worst case scenario manual swap later
      I'm all ears to that. Didn't think you could swap these to manual without loosing AWD.

    9. #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      I'm all ears to that. Didn't think you could swap these to manual without loosing AWD.
      there were manual R's, so you need those bits.

    10. #43
      Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      there were manual R's, so you need those bits.
      I believe the base V70's came in manual as well, although 5 speed. . . not sure if any of the base V70s were AWD though, which would make that swap harder. I doubt it's as easy as just slapping the angle gear onto the FWD trans. However, all of the other parts should work, i.e. 5 speed pedals, shifter, cables, etc.

    11. #44
      Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      I'm all ears to that. Didn't think you could swap these to manual without loosing AWD.
      there were manual R's, so you need those bits.
      Do the computers not get in the way? Straight up I'm thinking you'd need to swap the cluster to one from a standard car...

    12. #45
      obviously you'd need to figure out the software.

      but there were manual cars with AWD, so it does exist.

    13. #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      Do the computers not get in the way? Straight up I'm thinking you'd need to swap the cluster to one from a standard car...
      If you already have a Hilton Tune or get one, it can be changed in the software, at least that's what I've read in some posts here on the forum. If not, then you'd just need the ECM from the manual car I would think. Possibly the engine harness as well, but that's worst case.

    14. #47
      Got the engine on the stand last night.


      All of the oil drained out, which there wasn't much. I know the salvage yard this engine was purchased from and they drain the oil out of every engine they pull, so there wasn't much in this one.


      These also showed up yesterday


      Beefy H-Beams!


      Hopefully I'll get the oil pan and rotating assembly out before the end of the week.

      I found this small plaque (if you can call it that. . .) on the side of the cylinder head while taking the engine apart. Not sure if you can read it, but it says "Guarantee Void if Removed" . . . so I guess there's no warranty on it anymore? ROFL
      Last edited by all.teh.torques; 05-25-2016 at 07:46 AM.

    15. #48
      Interesting!

      One small request, as you're doing an engine swap - please paint it before you put it in!

    16. #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      Interesting!

      One small request, as you're doing an engine swap - please paint it before you put it in!
      Paint the engine bay?

      Will that make it faster? Haha!

      F anything it'll get pressure washed, but that will be about it.

    17. #50
      Good things come in pairs. It's fact.

      Boobs, twins. . . you get the gist.

      Who could pass up a steal of an XC70? My co worker picked this one up today to drive when we begin pulling the engine from the War Wagon. I gotta say, I'm a bit jealous. But when a running, driving, XC70 with ice cold A/C pops up on Craigslist and the price is "MAKE OFFER" it's hard to pass on! This will stay stock for the most part. I haven't nick named this one yet, we'll get around to it though I'm sure.


      Sadly the pool float wasn't included with the car

    18. #51
      Member Antherzoll's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      2,960
      Too bad, that's an awesome pool float
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 105k miles

    19. #52
      Eh, can't be too mad, I could literally part this car out and quadruple my co workers money.

    20. #53
      Where are you based sir? T5 engine in that condition for $500 is unheard of here. For instance, today a breaker refused to sell me a valve cover for my Mini Cooper S. They had one on a normal Cooper & wanted me to buy the whole engine for a massive $1245 CAD + 15% tax. Garbage.

      I envy you intently .

    21. #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
      Where are you based sir? T5 engine in that condition for $500 is unheard of here. For instance, today a breaker refused to sell me a valve cover for my Mini Cooper S. They had one on a normal Cooper & wanted me to buy the whole engine for a massive $1245 CAD + 15% tax. Garbage.

      I envy you intently .
      I know the owners of this wrecking company, we've bought 12-15 cars from them over the years, and this engine has been on their rack for years from what I'm told.

    22. #55
      so what's an 8eight fab DP gonna cost?

    23. #56
      Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      so what's an 8eight fab DP gonna cost?
      Details are on the Facebook page.

    24. #57
      Pistons showed up today


      One step closer to dropping it off at the machine shop now!

    25. #58
      Made time yesterday to drop off the 2.3 at the machine shop to be hot tanked, magnaflux'd, bowl blended, port matched and re-assembled.


      This place does great work and started off out of the back of a shop that specialized in 18 wheelers, once the business grew too big the owner opened his own shop. Every time I stop by it seems this business has grown every more! What started off as maybe 2 guys in the back of a truck repair shop has grown into a solid business with about 5 full time employees. I always like looking around at other customers engines while I'm there.


      Being a Nissan guy at heart, I was instantly drawn to this SR20DET! This same machine shop did all the work on my SR20, and on it's first trip to the dyno it made 436whp on 20 psi, with a boost leak lol. Glad to see people still building these engines!

    26. #59
      Junior Member stomish's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      South Jersey
      Posts
      264
      Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      Made time yesterday to drop off the 2.3 at the machine shop to be hot tanked, magnaflux'd, bowl blended, port matched and re-assembled.


      This place does great work and started off out of the back of a shop that specialized in 18 wheelers, once the business grew too big the owner opened his own shop. Every time I stop by it seems this business has grown every more! What started off as maybe 2 guys in the back of a truck repair shop has grown into a solid business with about 5 full time employees. I always like looking around at other customers engines while I'm there.


      Being a Nissan guy at heart, I was instantly drawn to this SR20DET! This same machine shop did all the work on my SR20, and on it's first trip to the dyno it made 436whp on 20 psi, with a boost leak lol. Glad to see people still building these engines!


      Just read through this build log, this thing looks fantastic man! Make sure to keep us updated! :)

    27. #60
      Machine shop called yesterday with an update the 2.3 should be done in a couple of weeks!

    28. #61
      This 2003 XC70 is stock with Nokian WRG3's.
      It has more miles off-road than either of my two IH Scouts or Jeep Cherokee, all in the boneyard except for the XC70.
      Dropped through a culvert when the fill around a 6' tile washed away leavong only a 2" surface layer of dirt. Landed on the OEM skid plate with front wheels hanging. Put a chain around the ball hitch to a FarmAll and jerked her out. No damage was found.
      Just put a few more $$'s into it.
      Have Yakima racks and Hully Rollers, carries two sea kayaks, one flat or whitewater canoe with ease not to mention bicycles.
      One tough car but it has been expensive to run!
      Nice though when faced with 5 hour Expressway drive from hunting or kayaking.-Richard
      BTW Volvo OEM rear hitch, Volvo OEM Rear Carrier, I think i purchased the only one ever sold in the USA?

      Last edited by budrichard; 11-02-2016 at 07:55 AM.
      2011 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
      2003 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His, Fallen Apart, rehabbed 11/16!
      1999 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-Granddaughter
      2013 Porsche Boxster Mexico Blue
      2017 Porsche C4S Carmine Red ContiWinterContact

    29. #62
      Junior Member stomish's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      South Jersey
      Posts
      264
      Quote Originally Posted by all.teh.torques View Post
      Machine shop called yesterday with an update the 2.3 should be done in a couple of weeks!
      That's awesome man! I'm excited for you!
      completely unable to go through drive thrus

      2004 M66 Passion Red V70r, 2004 XC70

    30. #63
      Member Antherzoll's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      2,960
      Awesomeness all around!

      Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 105k miles

    31. #64
      My guy at the machine shop text me this pic last week, time to go pick up the new engine!



    32. #65
      Member McShake's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Near Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      1,245
      Oh that is pretty
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

      Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

    33. #66
      that is very pretty.

      Have you considered closing the top deck with block fill like the honda guys do? I assume you're planning a fair amount of boost.

    34. #67
      Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      that is very pretty.

      Have you considered closing the top deck with block fill like the honda guys do? I assume you're planning a fair amount of boost.
      The thought had crossed my mind. . . but it seems like more work than it's worth considering that boost won't get too wild for now. Also considering that this is going to stay daily driver status I don't see much reason on getting too crazy with the boost. 20 psi is probably all it'll see.

    35. #68
      Well. . . I don't have any updates on the XC70 engine build, so I figured I would update you guys on my V8 Nissan 240sx

      I decided the fender flare look just wasn't cutting it on the car, so I picked up these 50mm over fenders that I think look much better and keep the stock body lines.



    36. #69

    37. #70
      Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      ls?
      Yep, I cheaped out and swapped a 5.3 Vortec in since the LS1s are getting more expensive (rolls eyes). I have it mated to a T56, 6 speed, from a Camaro. Dyno'd at 305hp/352tq at the wheels.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast