SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2014d Virtualbox image

31K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  orfeous 
#1 · (Edited)
I have mine working. It's a base Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit install with IE9 and no further updates.
No antivirus, windows updates disabled. Setup for Virtualbox 5 with guest additions and the USB 3.0 extensions.
It's a VDI file that's clocking in at 23GB right now, dynamically sized up to 60.

I don't have a place to host a 23GB file, but I'll upload it to someone that does if they want to share.

my host OS was Ubuntu 14.04 base.

See less See more
#10 ·
When you have the OVA file downloaded and have VirtualBox installed you can just selected the OVA file and "openwith" VirtualBox and it walks you right through it - I had little to no idea what I was doing and still was able to get installed.

That being said, make sure the computer you're trying it on supports Virtualization before you go down this road. I just ran into this error trying it on an older laptop . . .

http://druss.co/2015/06/fix-vt-x-is-not-available-verr_vmx_no_vmx-in-virtualbox/

Oh well, lesson learned. Now to try it on the newer laptop.

#13 ·
good link.
sometimes I assume everyone knows things.

just be sure that you share the USB device to the guest after you plug it in and before you attempt to start VIDA.

Click on "device" go to "USB" click on your DICE device.

I built the image with a clone DICE, so you may have to install drivers if yours is different.

#11 ·
I got this working on the newer virtual capable machine after activating the virtual capability in the BIOS and updating my Oracle VM (which I previously had installed for remote computing and wasn't upgraded).

This is a much better solution assuming your hardware is up to it. I haven't tried it on the vehicle, but everything starts right up on the laptop.

Thanks nsjames.

#12 ·
I'll have to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Ok got it up and running. thanks ns!

Install was pretty painless but it took me a while to figure how to actually access it.

After Vida is running and you've launched it, you'll reach this screen:

Simply enter "1" to proceed. No quotes. Try "ADMIN" if "1" doesn't work.

See this thread for more details (particularly post #30)

Now I just need to track down a DiCE unit.

Those using VIDA through V-Box, where'd you get your DiCE from?

#45 · (Edited)
I hate to bump an old thread but this was really helpful and I have one question. I booted the image and it seems to work properly except that I can't login with either 1 or ADMIN. Am I doing something wrong? I've never used VIDA before so I am quite possibly doing something wrong.

Edit: I do not have the DICE unit connected yet, do I need to have that before it will allow login?

Edit 2: I think it had to do with the expiration, I tried updating it in the license file and it didn't work. I ended up downloading the .OVA from this thread which is already set for 2020 http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link

#15 ·
Anybody got a version of this with the wiring diagrams installed, or am I missing how to access them?

#19 ·
I found a copy of the EWD in one of the usual places.
I'll see if it integrates into VIDA as easy as claimed, it's not that big, I may be able to repack the ova with it and upload it.

it's only up to 2005 though. So if anyone comes up with a newer version, post up. I'm not terribly concerned because our XC is an 04.

#21 ·
I downloaded a copy of 2014D EWD. Uploading to Mega. I'll post a link later today when it finishes.

#22 · (Edited)
Heres the link to 2014D EWD on Mega. It's a 4.49 GB ISO disk image. Appears to only have the US-english version on it.

https://mega.nz/#!0FlgCT5A

!_oWq1X23ih_Tkjn5OUOBW8Pu226ADix4Usmfn6CtkFE

Because it seems to be web based, it runs just fine off of the disk image for me, even in OSX. I don't really feel a need to integrate it into VIDA at this point unless there is some cross linking that would be helpful.

#24 ·
It's a disk image. You should be able to mount it as if it's a disk drive and then run it off of the image.

#27 ·
I have the 2014D installers, I've downloaded a few different ones, but none of them seem to include the patch file. I'm trying to setup a simple Windows 7 laptop with only VIDA.
Does anyone have the patch they are willing to pass along?

#29 ·
I forgot to post this until I actually needed it to work but I cannot get the virtual machine to support my DICE unit.

The Windows 10 supports the DICE; I had to go back to my stock tune via the Hilton Tuning software on my Windows 10 machine and it worked fine.

I did follow your instructions to link the DICE to the guest but VirtualBox says the device is "Not Supported" so the Windows 7 virtual machine can't use it.

Help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.