Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch?

I need to change my oil this week and I will not be able to get a Mann filter. I want to know which is better?

-Poritz

Re: Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch? (Poritz)

Even though both are manufactured by Champion Labs, Mobil 1 has an edge of using synthetic filtering material.

Which car is this for anyways? If the 740, use a Motorcraft FL-300S. It's essentially a Puralator Pure One, but at a much lesser price.

-- Kane ... 'sides, Ford is OEM anyways.

Will the FL-300S fit on a 740? Has anyone tried this?

-Poritz

Re: (Poritz)

It works on my fleet of Volvo's, which spans from a '64 P220 to a '91 745Ti.

Depending on the transmission line routing, you might even be able to use the tall 1-qt FL-1A filter. However, the 300S is shorter like the Volvo/Mann, and have no height clearance issues.

-- Kane

Re: Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch? (Poritz)

Pretty much any filter will do, I wouldn't waste money on anything more expensive than a Purolator, or maybe PureONE if you want a better name.

I'm sure people here will tell you to stay away from FRAM, since some doofus posted a "study" on the internet awhile back about how Fram filters are horrible My own experiences (as well as many other people's) show that Fram is no better or worse than any other brand. Mobil 1, K&N, etc...all charge you a fortune for their supposedly better filters. You may be able to find credible studies that show Mobil 1 oil to be better for your engine, but I have yet to see any studies that prove difinitively that a Mobil 1 filter is better than a Purolator.

Re: Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch? (anony00gt)

Quote, originally posted by anony00gt »
      My own experiences (as well as many other people's) show that Fram is no better or worse than any other brand.

Go soak some cardboard in oil, and you tell me whether that's better or worse than a steel plate in holding a filter together.

Fram's are cheap - period. I didn't need a study to tell me that - it's personal experience of filters that fell apart internally after using 'em that told me. The filter study merely reinforces how crappy they are. Furthermore, I respect anyone who put that amount of work into doing such a research. Don't put down others because they clash with your own opinions - you look like an idiot doing that.

Yes, you get a lot of folks who say that they've been running 'em for xxx amount of miles with no problems ... good for them. I'm not one who wants to throw money at crap, however, especially when they aren't any cheaper than better made filters. The aforementioned Ford/Motorcrafts can be had for under $3/ea. Fram runs $3.50 and up around here.

-- Kane

Re: Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch? (PWRPUFF)

Excuse me, pardon me.
      I bought 6 Volvo oil filters for my V70.
      They weren't cheap.
      Did I do wrong?
      There isn't much to them - awfully small.
      But - I figured what's a few bucks when it comes to filtration?

Re: Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch? (PWRPUFF)

Quote, originally posted by PWRPUFF »
      The aforementioned Ford/Motorcrafts can be had for under $3/ea. Fram runs $3.50 and up around here.

-- Kane

Purolator, Fram, Motorcraft, etc around here all run for between $2-3 apiece. PureONE, Fram X2, etc go for 4-5 bucks. Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters go for $9.99 apiece, which is absurd IMO.

Personally, I can't say I've ever had a problem with any oil filter that I've used in the past. In the past two years or so, I've been using STP filters only because they're the most readily available to me (I get them cheap through work).

Re: Oil filter Mobil 1 vs. Bosch? (anony00gt)

I'm with you anony00gt. All the oil filter is good for is catching the "big chunks" that might plug an oil gallery or score a bearing. None of them, except for the enormous remote-fit Amzoil systems can trap the smaller grit. Changing the oil is by far the lion's share of ridding the oil of fine grit, not filtration. The air filter though is worth more concern than the oil filter.

Blog Entries

Re: Mann Oil Filters

From the Mann Filter website, 2003/9/9 http://www.mann-hummel.com/com...o=140 , wherein they say "the interval between oil filter changes is at least 20,000 km, or one year." Hmm, 12K mile filter change intervals? Does this mean that the filter doesn't have to be changed with oil at a (much) shorter interval, say 3000 miles? And, does this imply (I believe so) that the standard oil change interval is more like 12k miles, and not 3000 miles?

PS

Oil filter and oil separator in one module

The second module from MANN+HUMMEL for the new VOLVO 5-cylinder petrol engines is the combined oil filter/oil separator. The same construction is used for both naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines. This oil module uses carry-over parts from the diesel oil module, which has been in series production since 2001.

The aluminium housing of the new module contains an oil return system, to which both the oil filter and oil separator are connected. With this new development, the interval between oil filter changes is at least 20,000 km, or one year. The filter is easily removed from above during service. The maintenance-free oil separator contains an integrated triple cyclone and a pressure regulating valve. This separator ensures efficient cleaning of the blow-by gases from the crankcase, and regulates crankcase pressure.

'04 V70 NA -- gone

Mann filters can be had for about $6.00 on wholesaleimportparts.com (no affiliation.. just had good business with them so far).