SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Check Engine: Code P0071

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Baron Von Chickenpants 
#1 ·
For about a year, I've been having this code pop up. Nothing seems amiss, but it is troubling to have a car with a check engine light on any time. Anyone know what part number this sensor is or how difficult it is to replace? Specific steps that won't F me up? I need to try and see if I can do this as cheaply as possible because I just had another issue come up on the xc. Right at Christmas time. Nice.

Small shop says the P0071 sensor code is something related to regulating fuel/air mixture depending upon temp readings. Last thing I need is to burn more gas or run too rich and goof something else up over time. -IPD

#3 ·
Thanks! Do you know if it's a simple install? This says right side. Stupid question: right is driver's?

#5 ·
doing this now on mine but for the outside air temp readout on the dim. No check engine lights, but the temperature on my display is way off. Like 60F day, shows 15F, 40F, shows -15F, 95F, shows 32F, all over the place lol. IIRC the drivers side mirror is ambient temp for the ecm, passenger side temp sensor is for the display.

#6 ·
Baron- thanks in advance for posting pics or a video. Having a bit of an issue with getting the door handle apart to get to the torx. My Indy started with a fricking screwdriver and a knife. Could not get the face off and so now it's got a bit of a gouge in it which pisses me off. Mechanically he's the man but not so careful with details of making sure things stay pristine and spotless. So- I'm off to look for another installer for the grom. I know this can be done easily with the multiple threads I have read but would rather a pro do it to ensure it is done well and timely. If I can find the way to get the door handle off then I may do this sensor replacement though...

#7 · (Edited)
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4801/110595-multi-purpose-bone-tool that will help get 99% of non screwed on panels off, and they are surprisingly specific, I have NEVER seen one in a parts store, but maybe that's a market thing, I found it is easiest to start at the top, just really gotta shove it in there . . . that's what she said . . . and it will pop out

Fortunately those handle covers are cheap if it really bugs you http://www.volvopartssource.com/a/Volvo__S60/48981340__5996179/INTERIOR-TRIM/9715790.html the part you want is number 10 (or at least thats what I think you mean)

I am going to guess you had no problem getting the door sail off then (the little triangle of plastic at the front of the window frame)

edit - #10 for your car may have a different part number, that diagram happens to be a 01-04 i believe

#9 ·
I went to Scandinavian in Rockville. Nice shop and clean. They did the deal and I'm back to a dash with no lit CEL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.