What did you do with your XC90 today? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
      Oh got it! The picture didn't appear for me, so your signature actually looked like an admin had deleted part of your post. Why did you pull it? Typical T6 issues?
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

here's a direct link: http://i.imgur.com/2XHN79x.jpg

And yeah, complete failure. I started noticing a little slipping between shifts, and then it escalated pretty quickly. Couple of days later it died on me on my way home from work on a Friday evening (5.5 mile trip). Not engaging in any gear, complete loss of power to the wheels. I've got it mounted on a table now for disassembly, just waiting on a couple of final tools to arrive (who ever knew that I'd need an automatic transmission clutch spring compressor tool!?) and organizing & labeling all the parts from Triple Edge in the meantime and doing all the homework I can on the thing.

When my SVX's transmission died (damn those '92s) it gave a lot more warning than this thing did. And it was an easy swap (minus fighting one of the retaining rings on a rear axle). This one took a few days to drop out - there's no shortage of things in the way.
      (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

-jeff
      2005 XC90 T6 AWD; 1996 3000GT FWD-TT; 1983 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD Shaft

Did a Full detail & engine cleaning, even took the seats out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2013 Ice White XC90 2.5T AWD R Design w/Polestar Optimization-The Family Hauler
      2013 Passion Red S60 T6 AWD R Design
      2011 VW Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion Tiptronic - APR Stage 2 "The Grocery Getter"
      2003 Nissan Patrol TD42 - AXT Turbo Kit, ARB Lockers, 5" Lift, 35s... Too many mods to list anywhere

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks good! I need to find a wrecked 2014 for that all black interior. I like the '14 R-Design door panels and seat covers.

How is pulling the second row seats? My center seat cable is stretched and I need to use a wrench on the bar under the seat to release the seat so it folds flat. Need to figure out how to fix that.
      chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

Thanks! Removing the seats was quite simple, plain old logic is all you need.

You'll be amazed by the things that lie under them!

There are ten plastic pieces over the 12 bolts that you have to remove. The front covers have a little lip you can push and slide the cover out, those come out easily. The rear ones need to be pulled from the floor, but you need to be careful as you can cut yourself with the seat rails. There are 6 of these and they are all the same. Don't undo anything that isn't below them.

After you remove all the covers you just need to undo the 12 "13mm" (IIRC) bolts.

Each seat is held by 4 bolts and the middle seat has a harness and a plug for the seatbelt tensioner that you have to disconnect before you take that seat out. Get someone to help you taking out the middle seat as it is VERY heavy.

Remember to take your time and be really careful, as the seat rails can cause a lot of damage to the interior, especially to the door panels. Also don't forget to tighten all the bolts again and reconnecting the orange harness.
      And that would be it!
      Ask if you have any doubt

2003 Nissan Patrol TD42 - AXT Turbo Kit, ARB Lockers, 5" Lift, 35s... Too many mods to list anywhere

Is that an S60 or S80 next to your 90? Beautiful red! What did you clean the engine with?
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Thanks man! it requires a lot of work to keep it looking good though, that's my S60RD, the XC is the wife's ride... I use Chemical Guys orange degreaser + Meguiars protectant wipes afterwards

Would SeaFoam work the same way? Or is yours a wipe-on? I'm good about my interior, and exterior, but my engine compartment is REALLY dirty.

It is a spray on, like a windex or pledge bottle.

I think any over the counter at your local store degreaser would work nicely, just spray it over the engine, scrub with a soft brush and let it soak. Afterwards rinse the engine with a hose (not a pressure washer).Do this only when the engine is cool to touch. Later on you can apply a plastic protector like Armor All, Meguiars, etc.

Seafoam engine cleaner is for the internals of the engine, introduced through the engine vaccum lines to remove carbon deposits. Not for the plastic trim on the outside.

Just be cautious if you have a V8. I believe engine washing lead tho angle gear failure in '05-'06. Fixed for '07, but still not worth the risk in my mind.
      2013 WRX Limited Hatch - Satin White Pearl
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

I figured as much on the SeaFoam, but people have used it to unstick rusted bolts so it might work for really dirty engines. The angle gear problem was from power washing, which forced water where it shouldn't have been. I think a simple, very low pressure, rinse would be no different from driving in rain.

parts for the interior trim refresh arrived: 2014 R-Design aluminum inserts, fresh boot, knob and sport steering wheel.

Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

currently watching football; and in the midst of this:

full resolution
      Last edited by sketch; 01-09-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: edited for more reasonable photo resolution

-jeff

That's looks fun.
      06 XC90 2.5T
      00 C70 CONVERTIBLE (SOLD)
      70 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE

quite!

-jeff

I think I found your broken part!!! LOL good luck man!

Changed my oil 1,500 miles early. It was looking really, really dark. Winter comes around and for some reason my oil doesn't last as long Something to do with turning DSTC off... Also tightened up my passenger door. It had a rattle right near the lock rod. Turned out to be the clip that holds that corner in place. So I added a bit of foam and voila! Rattle gone! Now I can listen to my music without driving myself nuts!

swapped the interior aluminum trim this evening. Its amazing what you'll will find underneath the cup holder! If you have some funky smells it might be worth looking there, haha!

I still have the shift knob and boot on my list to refresh. The install is fairly straight forward, remove two torx screws on the glove box and gently pull; there are six torx screws holding the top of the center console down. Hardest part was squeezing the plastic hinge nuts that hold the cup holder cover/lid ... and cleaning up the nasty food and crap that fell under the lid.

2007 (top) vs 2014 (bottom) aluminum trim:

Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate

Looks sharp!
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

I finally found a reasonably priced xc90 R instrument cluster at a salvage yard, 150.00 shipped to my door arrived this afternoon- for anyone that is curious, this swap into my 08 "Sport Refresh" project (I've decided to add every factory sport option now that there are 0 mechanical issues or maintenance items left- the original to R instrument cluster option took all of about 15 minutes to remove and replace. Worked flawlessly and the look of the dials is really a very nice touch. I Had a V70 R for a while back in the day and this cluster seems better somehow, not sure but it looks like the led vs older incandescent lighting makes the difference. Highly recommend the mod if you come across a compatible cluster. The R steering rack is on its way, 19" vulcans and latitude 25/50/19's and the front and rear suspension goodies are on, then it's on to ordering the aluminum interior trim in lieu of the wood, install the R steering wheel I already have and she's be done.

Quote Originally Posted by peterz123 View Post
      I finally found a reasonably priced xc90 R instrument cluster at a salvage yard, 150.00 shipped to my door arrived this afternoon- for anyone that is curious, this swap into my 08 "Sport Refresh" project (I've decided to add every factory sport option now that there are 0 mechanical issues or maintenance items left- the original to R instrument cluster option took all of about 15 minutes to remove and replace. Worked flawlessly and the look of the dials is really a very nice touch.
      What year is this cluster? And what Model Year car did you put it in?

Did you not have to program the DIM to match the original mileage of your car to this cluster? If you did, how did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
      What year is this cluster? And what Model Year car did you put it in?

Did you not have to program the DIM to match the original mileage of your car to this cluster? If you did, how did you do that?
      it's a 2010 V8 cluster into a 2008 V8 no programming required picked up the miles temp and fuel I believe it's stored in a secondary location in another ECM to prevent simple swaps for roll-back - there is only one plug on the back it's a really easy swap

I dig the aluminum trim... the woodgrain in ours is cracked (including the steering wheel). Is there a decent place to source used replacement parts or did you just order them new from Tasca or similar?
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 126,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 135,000mi
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      I dig the aluminum trim... the woodgrain in ours is cracked (including the steering wheel). Is there a decent place to source used replacement parts or did you just order them new from Tasca or similar?
      Actually I just Pm'd Chris for the pN's looks like about 150 plus shipping for the front trim from just about any online OEM source, there are a couple of panels in the back. here are the pN's for the front ( Thanks Chris)
      *2014 VOLVO XC90*
      SHIFT PLATE - 1287717
      CUP HOLDER LID - 1287716
      Glove box - TRIM MOLDING - 31332257

I have an R leather wheel yet to install if you want to stick with the wood I'll have one that's in perfect condition- no nav.
      Last edited by peterz123; 01-27-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Perfect, thanks for passing those along.

I'm not sold on the wood wheel, but if I lose that battle with the wife (she likes it and it is her car) I may be interested if it's out of a black interior car.
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      Perfect, thanks for passing those along.

I'm not sold on the wood wheel, but if I lose that battle with the wife (she likes it and it is her car) I may be interested if it's out of a black interior car.
      I covered my wood steering wheel in my 2011 Executive with a leather Wheelskin cover - http://wheelskins.com/.

Probably could've done a better job if had taken more time and pull the leather tighter ... LOL

Hmm, that might work as well.
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

What did you do with your XC90 today?

Well, thanks to our fantastic roads, I spent tonight in the garage. The 5 miles of ice washboard managed to break one of the solders off my tailgate light bar. There are 4 soldered connections from the right to left halves, and the running light solder broke. So the right half was dark. Removed the tailgate part way, scraped off the waterproofing silicon, re-soldered the connection and beefed it up, then reapplied the silicon. It has to dry over night, then I can put it back together. Ugh, gotta love backroads Montana Ignore the messy ski equipment. I need to clean it out badly.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

Quote Originally Posted by peterz123 View Post
      it's a 2010 V8 cluster into a 2008 V8 no programming required picked up the miles temp and fuel I believe it's stored in a secondary location in another ECM to prevent simple swaps for roll-back - there is only one plug on the back it's a really easy swap
      I'd like to do this swap on my 2007 V8. Do you know if its also a direct swap? thanks?
      2005 V70R~Silver~Nordkap~iPd Track Spec Sways~CJ Adj Toe Bars~TME Springs~Race S60R DP and FMIC~Mototec Exhaust~VST Monoblocks~Black E-Codes
      2007 XC90~Silver~Graphite~4.4~HEICO's~Factory Dual Exhaust

This is a baboon sat on my wing mirror

This is a baboon taking a dump on my bonnet while his friend looks on approvingly

Needless to say the kids loved it. I get to inspect the paintwork tomorrow!
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive

The Volvo hate is real!!

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

So this week I finally decided to get a Parrrot Bluetooth kit (MKi 9200) fitted to our '07 XC90.

We have the Dynaudio system in our car so also had the OASI fibre interface fitted to make use of the amp and ensure that the parking sensor sounds still worked.

The MKi 9200 also supports Bluetooth streaming as well as having a USB connection, 3.5mm jack / aux input and an SD card reader.

Here are some pictures of our install.

MKi 9200 screen, mounted on supplied bracket on drivers side under vent near light switch (this is a RHD car) in the UK:

Custom Volvo logo uploaded (I created a few of these and have about 4 or 5 to choose from):

Menus:

Quite pleased with the way it looks. Would be much neater integrated with the original steering controls. I believe Parrot have an interface called UNIKA which does this to an extent but wouldn't use the phone buttons on the remote, I understand it substitutes other buttons for the phone functions.

Other than that we are very happy with the installation and end result.

Looks good. Our '03 V70 has an old Parrot CK3100 or similar fitted. Looks like it's been there for years but it works well. Would be nice to have streaming audio though. CDs or cassette only!
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive

Nice! What is the audio quality like when streaming music via BT?
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design
      2005 WRX Sedan (Gone)
      1998 V70R (Gone)

Quote Originally Posted by skifreak85353 View Post
      Nice! What is the audio quality like when streaming music via BT?
      Thanks, the audio quality is great over BT. Better than just using the Aux port. Although, depending upon how loud you play things you can hear a bit of whine when nothing is playing (not during quiet parts of a song but if you are just on Aux in and not playing anything).

I've played with the volume settings for the Aux setting as well as the volume on the iPhone and believe it's tweaked to the optimum level for how we listen to stuff. The OASI interface makes all the difference, without that it would try to use the built in amp capability of the Parrot kit.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast