What did you do with your XC90 today? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by skifreak85353 View Post
      Just be cautious if you have a V8. I believe engine washing lead tho angle gear failure in '05-'06. Fixed for '07, but still not worth the risk in my mind.
      Fear not.

It was only 05 V8's, and it was an issue with the balance shaft bearing. 06+ V8's had a drain added where the water would pool, so there is no risk to the bearing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thebracko View Post
      Fear not.

It was only 05 V8's, and it was an issue with the balance shaft bearing. 06+ V8's had a drain added where the water would pool, so there is no risk to the bearing.
      This is very interesting, it has been established in other threads that it was corrected in mid year 07. I would think being a MT, you would certainly know. Can you specify if it was corrected for made in the year 06 or model year 06?
      2011 C70, Flamenco Red, Dynamic Package, Climate Package

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Mitchell View Post
      This is very interesting, it has been established in other threads that it was corrected in mid year 07. I would think being a MT, you would certainly know. Can you specify if it was corrected for made in the year 06 or model year 06?
      The only engines that have the potential to fail due to not having the drain are engines built up to serial #6833. These engines are only in the 2005 model year.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The only engines that have the potential to fail due to not having the drain are engines built up to serial #6833. These engines are only in the 2005 model year.
      Very good info this opens up my search window for a second XC90 i was limiting to 08 and up.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Got it tagged... I hate vehicle property tax. Cheaper than the Focus but still... $180 for 6 months of vehicle property tax on a truck (they call it that I guess) that is worth like 10 grand is nuts.
      Last edited by TurbineWagon; 02-17-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: I can't word properly
      -Zach
      '06 V50 T5 M66 FWD - Barents Blue - Viveka - 135,000mi
      Mods.
      '08 XC90 V8 Executive - Ember Black - Jet - 145,000mi
      No mods.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      Got it tagged... I hate vehicle property tax. Cheaper than the Focus but still... $180 for 6 months of vehicle property tax on a truck (they call it that I guess) that is worth like 10 grand is nuts.
      That's ridiculous! Mine is only $196 per year!

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

thebracko, you may know the answer to these questions also. What year was the shielded alternator factory installed? Do you think this cut down on alternator failures or are there other reasons for the high failure rate?

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      That's ridiculous! Mine is only $196 per year!

I think last year for three vehicles (the V50, the Focus, and a 1983 F250 work truck) I walked out of the courthouse having paid $640 for property tax and renewals. Granted we live in one of the worst counties in Kansas for that, but still, it wasn't much cheaper when we lived in another country either.

I'm a Tennessee native... where they just eliminated the wheel tax and you can now tag each of your cars for like $25 per year instead of $40. So this is all absurd to me!
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

What did you do with your XC90 today?

thebracko, you may know the answer to these questions also. What year was the shielded alternator factory installed? Do you think this cut down on alternator failures or are there other reasons for the high failure rate?
      I'm not sure exactly. I would guess 08 or 09. I've done a lot of 07's recently, so I know they weren't in by that year. We're also seeing tons of aux belt idler pulley failures these days too.

The biggest factor we're seeing in the failure of V8 alternators is the passenger side washer nozzle T-Valve cracking, and leaking down directly on the alternator. I would say 9/10 alternator failures I've seen in the last few years is directly related to that washer valve. Replacing it as a preventative measure may save some butts.

Oooh, I'll be replacing that. My alternator has what appears to be a shroud with some sort of little cooling duct stub on it, car is a 2008 if that helps anyone.
      -Zach
      Mods.
      No mods.

So after getting stranded at night on the middle of nowhere because of a pothole bursting one of the tires I finally bit the bullet and bought the spare tire and winch for my 13 XC90.
      It's unacceptable that it wasn't fitted from factory, and the dealership wanted to charge me 600 for both.

Just waiting for my wife to get back from work, so I can ditch that worthless goo can AKA Tire repair kit.

EDIT.....

Installation is complete, fitment is equal to the previous MY XC90s that came with the donut spare tire from the factory.
      Gained great peace of mind with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by alexpa; 02-18-2016 at 06:12 PM.
      2013 Ice White XC90 2.5T AWD R Design w/Polestar Optimization-The Family Hauler
      2013 Passion Red S60 T6 AWD R Design
      2011 VW Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion Tiptronic - APR Stage 2 "The Grocery Getter"
      2003 Nissan Patrol TD42 - AXT Turbo Kit, ARB Lockers, 5" Lift, 35s... Too many mods to list anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by TurbineWagon View Post
      Oooh, I'll be replacing that. My alternator has what appears to be a shroud with some sort of little cooling duct stub on it, car is a 2008 if that helps anyone.
      Sounds like you have the updated shrouding. The old one only has one small heat shield, no duct.

Quote Originally Posted by alexpa View Post
      So after getting stranded at night on the middle of nowhere because of a pothole bursting one of the tires I finally bit the bullet and bought the spare tire and winch for my 13 XC90.
      It's unacceptable that it wasn't fitted from factory, and the dealership wanted to charge me 600 for both.

Just waiting for my wife to get back from work, so I can ditch that worthless goo can AKA Tire repair kit.

My wife's car didn't come with a spare either. I guess that's the new thing. Not a fan. I've got to get her one someday.
      06 XC90 2.5T
      00 C70 CONVERTIBLE (SOLD)
      70 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE

I didn't realize they dropped the spares on the XC90's also. What year did they stop? My wife has a s60 without the spare. I cannot wait till I can get run flats on that thing.. it freaks me out, especially on long trips and bad highway commutes.

They sure dropped them for unknown reasons, its not like a 25lb tire will drastically affect fuel economy on a 4500+ lbs car. There's nothing more frustrating than having just can of goo to repair a torn apart tire. Around 2010 for the Euro XC90s IIRC. If you have the quad exhaust it won't fit.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up the underfloor spare for my S60, maybe that is a better alternative to the runflats.
      I had Bridgestones Driveguards for a while on the S60 if you go the runflat way though. They were just fine for daily driving.

2003 Nissan Patrol TD42 - AXT Turbo Kit, ARB Lockers, 5" Lift, 35s... Too many mods to list anywhere

Thanks, great information, I have been watching out for the right one to come along and I am sure there are a lot of folks here that will be replacing T valves now.

I'm not sure exactly. I would guess 08 or 09. I've done a lot of 07's recently, so I know they weren't in by that year. We're also seeing tons of aux belt idler pulley failures these days too.

The biggest factor we're seeing in the failure of V8 alternators is the passenger side washer nozzle T-Valve cracking, and leaking down directly on the alternator. I would say 9/10 alternator failures I've seen in the last few years is directly related to that washer valve. Replacing it as a preventative measure may save some butts.

I put the Utility in SUV today my ski coach didn't want his '99 Ford Ranger any more because of a few issues. He had to put a new tranny in it, then the radiator got a hole in it. So after sitting for the winter, he offered it to me for free. I figure parts will be around $300, then I can sell it for $1300-$1500. Anyways, the V8 pulled like a champ! The truck was stuck firm after the winter, so I got to spend an hour just pulling it out

2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

I gave the XC and the R and very quick rinse today and had them both by the lake today, so I figured I'd snap a picture.

RV8alt
      Last edited by esmith813; 02-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.
      2006 S60R MT Sonic Blue with Atacama
      2010 S80 V8 Executive White Pearl with Sandstone Beige
      Previously 2006 V70R MT, 2004 S60R MT, 1993 245 NA, 2006 XC90 V8

The 90 got a bit of love today:

- Removed the centre rear seat. Not too bad a job but holy crap is that thing HEAVY. We have some trips coming up so curious to see how the more flexible rear seating will be for the boys.
      - Pulled the stereo and re-ran the cabling for the Dension iPhone/iPod integration. I had this originally installed way back and the wiring was to the glove box, so I re-routed it to the centre vent on the dash so the cable exits behind the iPhone holder (proclipusa holder). Also the stereo shop that did the original install didn't mount any of the stuff behind the stereo so the boxes were just sitting loose. A bit of velcro and we're nice and tidy.
      - While I was in there, I pulled the centre console apart to clean out the years of crud and also tapped into the wiring that goes to the armrest cigarette lighter outlet. I had picked up a couple of USB connectors off Amazon a while back and hooked one of those in so now there are two USB power outlets in the passenger footwell so my wife can charge her phone and tablet while we drive. Simple place to tap in and no visible wires; Result!
      - Next up is to get the tires replaced this week. I'm averaging about 40k KM per set of tires and I got Nokians with a tread life warranty (this will be my third set) so I'm paying about 50-60% of retail for each set as they wear out. Nice savings for a car that loves to eat tires. I was thinking of going to a bigger wheel this time round but need to keep some $$$ for the C70's upgrades and it's hard to argue with the deal on the Nokians.
      2013 S60 T6 AWD/Grey, 2007 C70 6MT/Magic Blue (Koni FSD, Stoptech/Akebono, Elevate exhaust, smartop module, IPD rear sway/links, more to come...), 2006 XC90 V8/Graphite, 1980 242 GT (previous: XC70, 850GLT, 244 GLT. Parents cars: 244 GLE, 244GL, 123 GT, P544)

This is what that alternator with shield and air duct looks like ... definitely not worth the $200+ or so for the parts.

Deleted the Muffler Delete and went back to OEM Muffler, its so so quiet its unbeleivable, and I already miss the beautiful symphony of the V8 with the crackles and pops on decel along with the rumble but the car is headed for a few long trips one to Florida and then its transferring ownership to my father so it had to be done.

I am on the look out for a new XC90 V8 probably 08-09 and that will be the new toy. Sad to see this one go but it goes to family and awesome hands so it will be taken care of as if it was mine still.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      I am on the look out for a new XC90 V8 probably 08-09 and that will be the new toy. Sad to see this one go but it goes to family and awesome hands so it will be taken care of as if it was mine still.
      Let us know what you are looking at ...

If it's an '08, '09, '10 or '11, there's a good chance that I've already looked at it, or may even have the Carfax and other info. LOL

swapped in LED bulbs for the license plate:

chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

Ah, good stuff Chris. Something for me to keep an eye out for. I'm thinking of getting the VolvoTech CFE and if I'm going to have proper approach lights etc I was thinking of switching the external bulbs to LEDs. I need to look what is used in the mirror puddle lights.

:edit: And on further investigation it appears those bulbs are only available in the US. Boo!
      Last edited by rich1068; 03-10-2016 at 03:00 AM.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      Ah, good stuff Chris. Something for me to keep an eye out for. I'm thinking of getting the VolvoTech CFE and if I'm going to have proper approach lights etc I was thinking of switching the external bulbs to LEDs. I need to look what is used in the mirror puddle lights.

:edit: And on further investigation it appears those bulbs are only available in the US. Boo!
      All of the front approach bulbs, and the mirror puddle lights are T10s.

All of the front approach bulbs, and the mirror puddle lights are T10s.
      (...)
      How about a "bulb error" on the dashboard?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
      How about a "bulb error" on the dashboard?
      The license plate lights, front parking markers and mirror puddle lights are not recognized by the CAN BUS AFAIK.
      Those errors come when you start messing with the Reverse lights, turn signals, Headlights, tailights, etc.

The license plate lights, front parking markers and mirror puddle lights are not recognized by the CAN BUS AFAIK.
      Those errors come when you start messing with the Reverse lights, turn signals, Headlights, tailights, etc.

Can you send the specs on the bulbs you purchased for the front parking markers and mirror puddle lights?

Thanks!

False! At least onn our '09, I changed out the reverse lights to LED with no errors. Interestingly enough, the system will only throw a fault for failed rear parking lights if 2 or more are out.

Quote Originally Posted by mediamonkey11 View Post
      False! At least onn our '09, I changed out the reverse lights to LED with no errors. Interestingly enough, the system will only throw a fault for failed rear parking lights if 2 or more are out.
      Odd, my old '07 rear position lights would trigger an error with only one out. And my left lower one was always going out. And a reverse light out would trigger an error as well.

Probably year/option specific then, this being because our left lower was out for a while as well, I changed each lower to LED without error but only popped the error once 3 wer out/changed to LED. I love having LED backup lights as the rearview camera at night is so much clearer!

I'm going to try and get LED reverse lights in my '13 tail lights. Maybe it'll give me some light out the tinted tail lights.

That's why I said FRONT parking lights. I have a 13 XC so my tailight assy is different (nicer). I'll give a try to the LED reverse lights then, some light would be welcome at night. Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by britro88 View Post
      Can you send the specs on the bulbs you purchased for the front parking markers and mirror puddle lights?

Thanks!
      Just search on Amazon,google,ebay:
      W5W (T10) 5smd 6000k leds. That's what I used on mine

That's why I said FRONT parking lights. I have a 13 XC so my tailight assy is different (nicer). I'll give a try to the LED reverse lights then, some light would be welcome at night. Anyways...

Just search on Amazon,google,ebay:
      W5W (T10) 5smd 6000k leds. That's what I used on mine

Aah, makes sense!! Should've readed better. I also changed the front parking out to LED without error.

Are the T10 same as the 192/194?

2009 3.2 AWD XC90

Quad Projectors, 3x 5500k HID's, LED reverse lights, Full Stereo

Aah, makes sense!! Should've readed better. I also changed the front parking out to LED without error.

Are the T10 same as the 192/194?

Yes, they're the same

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast