Back in the P2 XC game... this time with more Lava. Also DEM0007 is pressure sensor right?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Back in the P2 XC game... this time with more Lava. Also DEM0007 is pressure sensor right?

Well we replaced the totaled XC with another XC. This one a dealer serviced forever Lava Sand Metallic one. Only important (non CCM/UEM/REM (park assist) codes in the car are brake pedal sensor (intermittent) and DEM0007 which I believe is the pressure sensor or collar sleeve if the driveshaft isn't spinning. No HIDs, DSTC, or HU850 but otherwise identical...

Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quite sure a stripped collar will not throw any codes, but it's easy to test for a stripped collar to be sure that it's not the issue.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Collar and angle gear do not throw codes, these are hard mechanical parts
      DEM 006 and 007 can be either the pressure sensor alone or a damaged/bad DEM module and the sensor
      Either way the pressure sensor needs to be replaced.
      I would do that first, clear out all the codes and see what ya gots!

That's what I had showing when I bought my current XC70.
      For $115 I replaced the pressure sensor and the AWD has been fine now for almost 9 months!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I figured pressure sensor was the issue. I just wasn't sure if the car checked for pump pressure from the prop shaft spinning. However since the code is immediate after clearing with VIDA I'm assuming dem or sensor is guaranteed the issue. Thanks.
      Exponents kill
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Well the mystery deepens... I think I'm just gonna take the wallet hit and swap the DEM, pump, and sensor and be done with it. The rest are not often enough to point to true failure... Although the brake switch is probably going to get replaced. And at 167k coils are probably due.

Exponents kill

After some early issues with the thing randomly stalling (and finding out the morons who changed the passenger headlight tried to pull it through the engine bay didn't reconnect the ECM grounds right), and breaking a spring the XC has been doing fine aside from some shifting weirdness that I'm going to delude myself with and say is the torque mount. Debating whether changing the fluid will do more harm than good... Probably deluding myself with old wives tales with that one.

Still needs the AWD fixed but that can wait (I've been waiting for it to get warm before I started poking around more). Probably going to buy a GROM once the AWD and shifting is sorted... Also learned it has a tiny coolant leak somewhere--which caused mom to freak at midnight and tow it home. Oh well.
      Exponents kill

Maybe the bad ground could cause the shifting problem too!!!

I should go check all my grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Maybe the bad ground could cause the shifting problem too!!!

I should go check all my grounds.
      Ha maybe... If only. Gonna flush it and cross my fingers.
      Exponents kill

Your transmission trouble sounds a lot like my mine. Things have improved dramatically since flush and additives. My plan is to experiment with it to try and figure out what's failing without just changing the transmission.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Yes they do... However the work to swap a VB is almost as much as a transmission and I'm lazy lol. And I can't think of things in the transmission aside from the VB that are swappable with the trans in the car so...
      Exponents kill

I disagree, valve body isn't that terrible. I think you just support the engine and drop the engine cradle, and you have access. Add alignment and it's about a 6 hour job.

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      I disagree, valve body isn't that terrible. I think you just support the engine and drop the engine cradle, and you have access. Add alignment and it's about a 6 hour job.

So is a transmission... Drop the subframe, pull the angle gear, unbolt the transmission, go backwards... If a VB fixes it let me know... I'll consider it.
      Exponents kill

I'm planning to give it three weeks or more, as it's gone from being undriveable to only a nuisance mostly just a harsh downshift to second and harder downshift to first. No faults stored at all, and every once in a while there is a shift flare around 3rd.

If I go that way, I'll document it. I want to say it took 4 hours in my dad's S60R.

Hard downshift from a stop is still there... Contemplating options. It's gonna be a month before I do anything.
      Exponents kill

Replaced the torque mount and license plate screws. Will that do anything? Doubt it.
      Exponents kill

Surprise surprise... The torque mount did nothing... Now the question is whether it's even worth it to do a fluid swap given its probably the valve body... Like Lurch.
      Exponents kill

Your license plate screws didn't fix it? I was sure that would do the trick. Did you try shampooing the carpet?

Sorry, I can't resist.

Joking aside, Lurch isn't 100% fixed, and it does make me wonder sometimes what would happen if I swap in a VB that I 100% know is good (I have a potential second VB waiting to confirm) to make sure all of it is in the valve body rather than the something warn in the transmission. In the R a hard engagement of reverse was retained after I swapped the valve body (full re-man that time). Oddly enough, the harsh reverse engagement has gotten milder as time has gone on. It's been 6+ months since that replacement and no other symptoms have shown up.

Having done one VB, I think I could do a second one in a lot less time. Maybe 5 hours instead of 8? lolz

Whatever it's worth, the fluid change made a pretty dramatic difference for Lurch. It got the car from being stranded on the side of the road to drive-able for a few more days until I had time for a VB.

Fluid change isn't wasted money if a clean trans is the goal. You wouldn't want old fluid contaminating the new VB either. It can't hurt, and it's not but so expensive.

I'm not swapping the VB... There's an 80k tranny near me for $600. I was really hoping license plate screws would fix it... What a rip off when they didn't!

I think the issue with the AW55 is the valve bodies wear and each hard shift starts fubaring the transmission itself leading to a opint where a VB won't fix it. 60 in fluid that's gonna get tossed in a month... Hmmm. Good thing we picked up the 00R yesterday. That thing shifts like butter. Sadly.
      Exponents kill

80K trans for $600 is the cost of a VB = not worth buying a VB. I will be inclined to agree with you on the VB causing internal wear. I may go the same route as you a few months down the road.

More specifically the valve bores wear and basically allow 'blowby' and I'm sure the TCU can compensate for x % of fluid blowing past but after a certain threshold it becomes too hard. Yeah, can't beat an 80k AW55 for that price.
      Exponents kill

It was the pump. Let me just say without the harmonic damper in place it would be easier to remove the entire AOC than just the pump. And that 8mm driveshaft screws are a godsend.
      Exponents kill

Well the Lava burned a valve so I went about replacing the head with a low mileage R head...

I shall christen the engine code B5254T2.4 as it uses an R head, R plugs, XC coils, and R coil boots!

Exponents kill

Pele has been adorned with the piece de resistance

Exponents kill

Pele lives!

Exponents kill

Great Work!
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Great Work!
      Thanks! It went pretty smoothly... I made a few dumb mistakes but I caught them before they f'd me.
      Exponents kill

The Hound Technologies(TM) Ultra Angle Gauge:

Worked pretty well...
      Exponents kill

I am disappoint...

IMG_0730.jpg

MRW this happens twice in 2 year:

Exponents kill

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements