HU-615 Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
      Looking to replace the HU-615 with a standard head unit at some point for MP3 and Satellite radio capability. Only problem is I want to keep using the 10-disc volvo changer I had added at the factory for like $550.

Can I get something other than an Alpine head unit - will a different one be compatable? Any Ideas?

2K2 S40 1.9T 75TH, 1500mi

The S40 head unit (HU-615) is manufactured by Mitsubishi Electric (Melco) as are all HU-XXX radios. The communication between the radio and the 10 disc changer is done via a proprietary bus called the MELBUS. So if you buy a new head unit that does not speak MELBUS (and only Melco radios does) you won't be able to listen to or control your $550 CD changer.