SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

ScottishBrick's 1999 Pewter V70 T5 Wagon

223K views 3K replies 100 participants last post by  CYB3RBYTE 
#1 · (Edited)
And now, for something completely different......

3/17/16 I bought a 1999 V70 T5 Auto wagon in Silver Sand Metallic (Pewter) on charcoal with 213k off craigslist. In Vermont. Sight unseen.

FOR $300! I had been chasing potential daily driver wagons all over new england at 5-10x that price that were utter garbage. Zero expectations for this to be any different, however its a 3 owner car that was serviced at volvo its entire life so theres hope for it yet.

It has an xemodex etm, new alternator, factory wing, aluminum R trim, interior is passable, everything works. Its not awd so tires/angle gear/driveshaft wont be a headache. Its a T5 with ME7 so i'm happy with the availability of parts, its get up and go and the ability to use VIDA to troubleshoot.

At the very least its going to need front struts, inner/outer tie rod, right front wheel bearing and front brake work.

Plan is to go bring it home once I have the title, temp registration and insurance. Parking lot brake job first of course.

Hounddogger, R_Model and Swedishbriquette all have volunteered to help get her home. Hopefully it doesnt take 4 volvo enthusiasts to make it the 4 hours home to CT, but, why not be prepared and make an adventure of it?

See less See more
#45 ·
Agree. Second gear is the best gear IMO (ignoring fuel economy).

I'm going to be in serious 5 speed withdrawal owning this wagon. For now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L and 3 are your friends.

But, seriously, I enjoy driving my dad's manual NA V70 than I do my still automatic T-5R. At least the AW50-42LE will let you shift it in and out of gear without pitching a fit like the AW55-50SN does.

#44 ·
Both. Since they came out with the newer 5 liter they've been pretty nasty, 6 speed on GT's and Brembos and lots of power. The IRS probably isn't as strong for drag racing and stuff but I'm sure the IRS handles better. Idk my next addition to my stable will probably be the GT350R. I get a boner every time I look at it. Even though its a FORD..:(

#49 · (Edited)
ScottishBrick's 1999 V70 T5 Super Sleeper Rat Rod Wagon

Eventually, and I WILL find a clean 99-00 XC in White/Black there will be a glorious combining of all of these visual and performance ideas together to create......The V70 CCR

B5234T3 & M66 drivetrain, hybrid 850r/XC/throwback styling.

One day.

#48 ·
I like that color! Super find at that price point; drop your old motor and tranny in and enjoy it! Glad you held off parting with your go fast stuff...looking forward to your build!
Dan

#50 · (Edited)
How hard could it be? There must be plenty of these cars around and swapping the M66 and drivetrain have been done successfully by plenty of people. Get on it man!

And this whole rat rod thing is driving me crazy! You are building a sleeper. A dirty old car that looks slow and stock and is, in fact, fast. The two fastest P80's I have been in were both far worse cosmetically than your wagon is. One had about 290k on the clock and was frighteningly fast and the other was totally ragged out, completely a mess and was pushing 20psi with stock internals and stock exhaust and was fast as hell.

#51 ·

Me calling it the rat rod is just to spite @Houndogger cause he thinks he's going to call it sailor moon to piss me off because I hate moondust yet 419 pewter is not moondust

As for keep forever m66 white awd wagon, the reality of building it is not that hard, it's finding a clean she'll with functional awd. Trust me I'm trying desperately to find the donor.

#52 ·
A guy I work with has a 00 xc, white/black with 80k. Not sure he'll sell it but you never know! I'll ask him about it if you'd like.

#57 ·

I had an opportunity to buy a white/black 1997 855 T5 wagon locally last spring. One family car: mothers then sons. Volvo then competent indie maintenance. $2300. I just had polished up driving stick and couldn't part with my S70 and hadn't made enough money due to a slow spring so I let it get away. If I had known it was a R ecu, bumper swap and set of Volans away from being my dream wagon I would have begged borrowed and stole to get it. Damn. Next time

#58 ·
That's what makes life fun. Seek, and ye shall find! I've seen a lot of seeking from you, but a patient man is a virtuous one. I've got total faith with the scouring you're doing and with Spring finally here, the white shell is just around the corner. In either case, a 300 dollar Volvo is really hard to beat.

I walked away from a clean exterior black/tan 02 XC70 in the fall, but the tranny was bad (hard kicks in 2nd and 3rd after warm up), and I don't have the time to mess with stuff broken that badly. I'd bet a dollar the guy would've sold it to me for 500 bucks. Parted out, I could've made money, but it would have been painful as I'm light on the skills and knowledge you guys have.

#59 ·
i kind of figured i cant really go wrong with a $300 99 T5 wagon. Its my preferred year, ive amassed the knowledge and tools to fix and troubleshoot pretty much everything on the car, ive taken one apart to the bare shell so i have "x ray" vision so to speak about what lives where ect. Plus its got good parts i'd want anyway. Either fix it, drive it, love it or fix it, manual and low miles engine swap it on my fully ready subframe, or part it out if its garbage.

Needless to say its going to be fun anyway it plays out.

#61 · (Edited)

I will part the car out so I don't have to listen you you call it some anime name. Or put my ipd exhaust on it and drive by your house over and over so you get to hear the lovely notes of Swedish rice

#62 ·
I must say- this banter between Hounddogger and SwedishBrick is quite entertaining. Is this what CT is all about? I was thinking about a car up that way. Maybe I'd get to see some of this over a burger and a beer?

#63 · (Edited)

...we are both engineers. When R_Model joins in then it's 3s company. Some crazy awesome brainstorming comes out of it though, like a T6 swapped 960, engine overhaul options on a 300k R, how to build the best beater wagon, fwd vs rwd feud ect...

#65 ·
Great thing about this site. You guys have the knack for sure, and you're friendly. I just used to watch my Dad almost every weekend, who had the knack (still has, at age 82), so I've been 'schooled' but I rarely personally turned wrenches. I'm about to hitch to this thread to remember to watch as things progress on "The 419".

#66 ·
Hey I spoke to the dude with the 00 white xc. 1 it has a tan interior(sorry I was wrong), 2 he's been thinking about selling it and will decide tonite and 3 it has 67000 original miles! If you're interested and he lets me know tomorrow I'll pm you his number so you can get info, price, pics. He knows I'm an enthusiast and he likes the idea of someone who appreciates the brand to get it.
Dan

#67 ·
Sure I'm interested. I do have a spare tan interior on hand. And with low miles like that the awd is probably intact regardless of ownership. Good find!

#73 ·
98, and almost the exact same miles as you here. :)

Also a CT car.. NICE. *Hi Five*

#69 ·
I vote Moondust as FAVORITE color... Though Pewter is awesome, too.

This Volvo of mine is a little more than 50% my unicorn, however I got mine for $850 from CT (Stamford.) It does have one issue but it still sounds as to run strong, and drives nice.

Not gonna go screwing with it yet. Have to move first ;-)

This is my third one. I consider the second, not my first, to be my unicorn. First was a 2000; second, a 1999. Second was either pewter or moondust, with that piano black interior. That car was mint .. The first one was white exterior, cream interior, I don't think "white" but the same color as this one. If my sig is still up I think they are both in there, and I'm long overdue to be making GOOD memories with my new, and PREFERRED, ride. Now this one is a 1998.. The V70 Trifecta. Before they got uglier and less reliable in 2001. ;-)

No HPT just yet :) I love Eggcrate, love the AWD, love most everything about this. The rubber trim on my roof rack blew off yesterday.. So what.

Long Live Volvo. I took this pic this morning:

#71 ·
Thats a pretty good steal. Where'd you pick it up from?

Houddogger and I know each other in person and 90% of our interaction is volvo dreams/projects/maintenance ect. But of course 10% is busting each others balls about each others cars and future projects for the comedic value.

#72 ·
Stamford, CT. :)

Its presently worrying me a little bit because I'm getting in and all I hear is a "click" noise. Battery is suspect. How many volts are required for the starter? I hope that's all that is keeping it from firing right up, as it always has.

#74 ·
Here she is, presenly scaring the living crap out of me until it fires right up. All I get is a "click" noise, sounds like from under the passenger seat, at the moment. Weird.

*EDIT: Yes, the hood is popped since I think this battery is the reason its not even TRYING to start. Gotta see if I can get it juiced up.. Other reasons, I hope its not. Anyone ever had that happen? (And it eventually starts, right?)

#78 ·
Eh, I like the Pegs ... and I already have nearly perfect set of 17's collecting dust in my garage waiting for the next "opportunity".

Your quest has me thinking that maybe I'm going about this all wrong looking for a perfect P2 non-R wagon.

#79 ·
Eh, I like the Pegs ... and I already have nearly perfect set of 17's collecting dust in my garage waiting for the next "opportunity".

Your quest has me thinking that maybe I'm going about this all wrong looking for a perfect P2 non-R wagon.
Well if you've got them and like them, run them!

Theres lots of p80 cars around. And they're cheaper and easier to work on/bring back from the dead. Its the prime year sample to be in all the junkyards so anything you need you cant get from fcp/ipd/eeuro/emi ect you can still find. Thats why i'm sticking with this platform.

#81 ·
It's funny, I knocked one of my rear mud flaps off on a parking curb the other day and I haven't put it back on. I don't even notice it's not there. I agree on the Pegs, they are a bit over done for my taste. Of course I am looking for a set of Andrasteas for my T5M. I gotta get back into the Volvo as I have spent the last month rebuilding a 1986 Nissan 720 pickup. It's slow and noisy and rusty and is so far putting more smiles per mile than the wagon has in a while. It has the unintended consequence of making the Volvo seem like a pure luxury vehicle in comparison, which is nice.

#82 ·
Of course I am looking for a set of Andrasteas for my T5M.
Ah crap I just saw a set of those on CL somewhere. Let me try to find them again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.