SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

ScottishBrick's 1999 Pewter V70 T5 Wagon

223K views 3K replies 100 participants last post by  CYB3RBYTE 
#1 · (Edited)
And now, for something completely different......

3/17/16 I bought a 1999 V70 T5 Auto wagon in Silver Sand Metallic (Pewter) on charcoal with 213k off craigslist. In Vermont. Sight unseen.

FOR $300! I had been chasing potential daily driver wagons all over new england at 5-10x that price that were utter garbage. Zero expectations for this to be any different, however its a 3 owner car that was serviced at volvo its entire life so theres hope for it yet.

It has an xemodex etm, new alternator, factory wing, aluminum R trim, interior is passable, everything works. Its not awd so tires/angle gear/driveshaft wont be a headache. Its a T5 with ME7 so i'm happy with the availability of parts, its get up and go and the ability to use VIDA to troubleshoot.

At the very least its going to need front struts, inner/outer tie rod, right front wheel bearing and front brake work.

Plan is to go bring it home once I have the title, temp registration and insurance. Parking lot brake job first of course.

Hounddogger, R_Model and Swedishbriquette all have volunteered to help get her home. Hopefully it doesnt take 4 volvo enthusiasts to make it the 4 hours home to CT, but, why not be prepared and make an adventure of it?

See less See more
#83 ·
I can get a set shipped for $200 on eBay, but I don't feel like dropping that much on them. Its almost boating weather and that is going to suck me dry. Plus I need a new steering rack and struts before I worry about it.

#85 ·
Yep, I hear ya. If you know Gary (yellow95), he's still a huge P80 fan and bought both of my mine. I joke around with him that he's living in the past, but hey, the older I get living in the past isn't too uncommon anymore :D and after seeing Chris's white V70 reminds how awesome looking these cars were and still could be if done right. The longroof wagons of yore with their squared backed tailgates are real Volvo's to me, and I'm not really a fan of the current trend with the new V90. The only thing is that I work in new construction sales and can't really have a "moondoggie" looking car straight out the junkyard.

#87 ·
Yea i feel ya on that one. My boat needs an engine module that costs more than my new car. Until then, new water pump, fuel lines, varnish work and ignore the overheat horn thats shorting out and squawking even though the motors been cold for 5 months

#92 ·
#88 ·
I just woke mine up last weekend. Oil change, new fuel filters and it is ready to go. I need to do a bunch if paint work on the deck and the cabin this spring, plus short haul to clean the bottom and repack the rudder stuffing box. It never ends, but I spend a ton of time on it when the weather is good, so it's completely worth it.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

#91 ·
I just woke mine up last weekend. Oil change, new fuel filters and it is ready to go. I need to do a bunch if paint work on the deck and the cabin this spring, plus short haul to clean the bottom and repack the rudder stuffing box. It never ends, but I spend a ton of time on it when the weather is good, so it's completely worth it.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
What kind of oil do you use? (Type, brand, grade, everything.)

#89 ·
Where is JRL anyways?

I bought a gas pedal from a C70 from one of the folks on here, too.

#90 ·
ScottishBrick's 1999 V70 T5 Super Sleeper Rat Rod Wagon

Do you mean where is JRL's old white t5m? Rsterns bought it and still owns it, its got 170k currently:

#95 · (Edited)
Do you mean where is JRL's old white t5m? Rsterns bought it and still owns it, its got 170k currently:

Now you have me really thinking. My first car at 16 was white, and had white wheels - I paid 500 bucks, seemingly cheap until you consider ScottishBrick's latest acquisition in 2016. It was pretty sharp looking, and while I'm embarrased to say what it was, I got a LOT of compliments on it until it died, shortly thereafter (74 Vega). Alright, alright - I grant you the OK to laugh... But now I have a hankering for a mean white AWD wagon with blacked out pillars and powder coated white pegs. Rashed pegs abound, so they could be had for cheap, I'm sure. However - the interiors of this era seem to be very feeble and brittle to me (I had a 99 and it just sort seemed to snap and crack and wear hard). Are there good parts available that won't fall apart or look too cheap?

#99 ·
This project may be demoted to being a stock daily (with some tweaks of course) because i just got an emerald green 1999 t5m wagon.

#105 ·
Leaving for Vermont in the snow with a wagon loaded full of parts to bring the t5 home today. Let the adventure begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#107 · (Edited)

#109 ·
Made it home! Literally drove it around the block, said its good enough, then drove 300 miles back to CT!

Thank you very much Swedishbriquette for helping get her home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#110 ·
Time to get to work and make the wagon as reliable and nice as possible. Beater or not its a really great car and will clean up well.

My to do list:

Pass emissions.

Mechanical:

Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, brake rotors and ceramic pads (302 upgrade), inner & outer tie rod ends, alignment, passenger front door lock, heater core, thermostat, rear wiper motor, check fuel pump, check abs (no cruise control).

Cosmetic:

Eggcrate grille, rear mud flaps, cupholder, fix broken A pillar and cargo area trim, switchblade key, new case for the remote, tailgate clips, fuel door clip, fog lights and grilles, dash, switch and cabin lights, XC roof rails, drivers master windows switch, speakers, 12v outlets, headlight wipers, tailgate exterior trim, exhaust tip

Wash, wax, vacuum, clean interior and engine bay.

Upgrades/Improvements

Strut tower brace (autos have crazy torque steer too)
Lower it
Tires (once the alignment is good i'll put my michelin pilot sport a/s 3's on it)
Rear brake upgrade

#111 ·
So..... essentially a complete stage 0 and some performance upgrades? Slippery slope! Once you start, you won't stop. Might as well drop a tune in too!

Cool that it is a good candidate for upgrading anything at the price you were able to get it for! Glad you didn't have any drama on the drive home too.

I would skip the roof rails, it looks good with a smooth top.

#112 ·
I'd like the roof rails so i can put my sailboat or dinghy on top. The door mounted racks are too close together for that.

This wagon gets stage zero and just the important stuff done. Not tuning it. The emerald t5 manual wagon gets all that attention.

#113 ·
Cool! I forgot you were into sailing, so that makes sense about the roof racks. Do you have any idea what the capacity of the stock racks and crossbars are, by any chance?

Whatever you decide to do, it's certainly a good looking car for such short money!

#114 ·
I believe i read that they are rated for 250 lbs. Having taken a set off a car, i would believe it, but wouldnt go over that. My laser is only 130 lbs and ive seen them cartopped on v70's before. Now i need to junkyard source xc rails or find a parts car to split with friends. and cross bars but those might take a while

#115 ·
I have cross bars I might be interested in selling. I have never used them and I don't really care for how they look. I don't need roof rails now that I have a little beater pickup to play with too.

I have had more fun sailing a Laser than probably any other boat I have sailed. They are great fun.

#130 ·
Exciting! This is really looking good for $300!

If ScottishBrick doesn't want those cross bars, my dad might be interested in them. Let me know if you have a price in mind and I'll ask him if he wants them.

I guess I need to take a trip south sometime and try out a Laser in some warmer water. I've never gotten it with them around here - the water north of Cape Cod is just to cold to make sailing a boat that wet enjoyable IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.