SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

ScottishBrick's 1999 Pewter V70 T5 Wagon

223K views 3K replies 100 participants last post by  CYB3RBYTE 
#1 · (Edited)
And now, for something completely different......

3/17/16 I bought a 1999 V70 T5 Auto wagon in Silver Sand Metallic (Pewter) on charcoal with 213k off craigslist. In Vermont. Sight unseen.

FOR $300! I had been chasing potential daily driver wagons all over new england at 5-10x that price that were utter garbage. Zero expectations for this to be any different, however its a 3 owner car that was serviced at volvo its entire life so theres hope for it yet.

It has an xemodex etm, new alternator, factory wing, aluminum R trim, interior is passable, everything works. Its not awd so tires/angle gear/driveshaft wont be a headache. Its a T5 with ME7 so i'm happy with the availability of parts, its get up and go and the ability to use VIDA to troubleshoot.

At the very least its going to need front struts, inner/outer tie rod, right front wheel bearing and front brake work.

Plan is to go bring it home once I have the title, temp registration and insurance. Parking lot brake job first of course.

Hounddogger, R_Model and Swedishbriquette all have volunteered to help get her home. Hopefully it doesnt take 4 volvo enthusiasts to make it the 4 hours home to CT, but, why not be prepared and make an adventure of it?

See less See more
#229 ·
½" drop isn't bad for all the stuff you have in there.

Hope one of those coolers is just for beers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First time I read that, I read "beers" as "bears." That might actually not be a bad idea now that I think about it.

#237 ·
Looks kind of like the east coast version of V and S.

#232 ·
Moomaws hydroelectric station. One of the only successfully operational ESAC bulb and siphon Kaplan turbines in North America.

I'll be back here in a month for a large project.

#234 ·
Propeller turbine that uses a siphon instead of the traditional intake gate. Popular in France, plagued with issues in North America because of ice. In southern Virginia that's not an issue

#235 ·
we have matching scrape marks ,,,,WTH i mean its on the driver side....stick your head out the damn window ;)

#238 ·
Glad didn't go. Rains every year but it's fun. In nyc at a roof top wedding now, hopefully doesn't rain.

#240 ·
Road trip complete!

She rolled the 1744 miles like a champ. I think this car is officially broken in

#243 ·
And no headliner sag, you really scored on this one!

#244 ·
None! its pretty mint. One piece of broken plastic in the back I havent fixed, and the rear passenger seat belt jammed last night. Im swapping the rear seats anyway to get the cargo netting and totally clean leather

#245 ·
Tire research continues. Since the emerald is not going to be driven for a while as it gets build (and since its unregistered), I am seriously considering putting my comets on for daily driving with 225/45/17 tires. The plan was to have pilot super sports but they sold out at costco while i was on vacation. Damn. Ive been combing through tire racks real world test data and jotted down some wet vs dry stopping distance and g's for a bunch of popular tires I would consider. After seeing how the new hankook ventus v12 evo 2 performed first hand in the rain, my opinion of them has changed. So heres what ive compiled:

Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Continental DW & DWS 06, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, Hankook Ventius V12 Evo 2 and Bridgeston Potenza RE760

Stopping (ft)

Dry
PSS: 78.1
DW: 76.5
DWS: 86.5
PS3: 83.8
V12: 77.8
RE760: 78.5

Wet
PSS: 95.1
DW: 96.9
DWS: 112.4
PS3: 108.3
V12:106.0
RE760:121.4

Cornering (g)

Dry
PSS: 0.98
DW: 0.89
DWS: 0.88
PS3: 0.91
V12:0.91
RE760: 0.93

Wet
PSS: 0.83
DW: .082
DWS: 0.75
PS3: 0.77
V12: 0.81
RE760: 0.75

Comparisons all are for the same size. I ran PS3 with great success and satisfaction. Interesting to see that its kind of on the lower end of performance HOWEVER thats in comparison to ultra/max performance summer only tires. Still walks all over the DWS, as my real world experience confirms. My takeaway is that PSS would be the best if i could get them, V12's follow up since the PS3 trump DW/DWS in the dry. Rain performance is important so a boost there is welcome. Ive heard great praise for DW from other 17" p80 fwd hpt wagon owners and that they ride better than my beloved michelins but I've seen V12's outperform in the rain and on the street. Kind of a hard decision when the PSS are out of the picture. The line i had on them made them the cheapest option with mount/balance/disposal and warranty ect as part of the price. Anyone have opinions they'd like th throw out, experience, recommendations ect?

#247 · (Edited)
ScottishBrick's 1999 V70 T5 Super Sleeper Rat Rod Wagon

Decided to put the snabb intake I got a while back on the pewter.

Well now. Stock PTC element was totally disconnected.....might explain a few of the oddities this car had. Evap leak, slight hunt at idle (although I suspect o2 sensor still) and oil all over the intake side of the block pcv hose connections. Turbo was nice and tight though, probably 5 thousandths radial play and zero discernible axial. Regular oil changes make all the difference.

3" intake in. Not such a bad the third time you do an install from scratch. Having the PTC whip already modified and installed on the replacement intake certainly helps.

For comparison here's stock vs my other snabb one off the s70/for the Emerald.

Where it neck a down it might barely be under 2". That's at least 50% less area. Q=VA so half the area means twice the velocity for the same flow....we know that's not happening. This should wake the sleeping beast up gently. Car already goes like a bat out of hell when you ask it to but I clearly remember feeling a decent difference in throttle response when the snabb intake was the first performance mod on the s70.

#248 ·
My next question was about this very piece....Now I know :)

#250 · (Edited)
ScottishBrick's 1999 V70 T5 Super Sleeper Rat Rod Wagon

This mornings project:

Had these for a year but never put them in because I didn't have a torque wrench. Got one for Christmas so I thought I might as well stop making excuses.

WD40 is your friend here. Silicon grease if you got it but I'm finding that I can hammer them in with a plastic mallet after soaking the bushing on the car with wd40.

Using an extra front subframe washer as a driver plate is helpful too

#256 ·
What'd you set the torque wrench too? Tight? You don't really need one for those bolts

77 ft lbs plus 120 degrees for the big bolts, 37 ft lbs for the smaller rear plate bolts as per Volvo torque spec taken from vida.

#257 ·
I never could get 120 after the 77...even with my legs...I might have gotten 110 on one of the bolts...between 90 and 100 on the others... I figured that was good enough. Red lock tight on all the bolts!

#262 ·
I was actually able to pull the 120 deg with my 1/2 in drive 3ft torque wench, it clicks all the way up to 250 ft lbs. :D

#264 ·
Yeah, if I had 3ft, I probably could have done it... the other suggestion on the jack handle- what I was trying to do would have demolished that handle. I suppose I had about 18" on my breaker bar it it was bending under pressure from my legs pushing it with all my might... Of course, some cars may be different than others.

#265 ·
Well, I made the decision to get Pilot Super Sports. Going to put them on my new set of Comet C's in 225/45/17 and that way I can futz with running the 320mm brakes on the pewter wagon. Need to do LCA's first though, discovered camber wear on both sides of the front tires after the road trip and everything else in the front suspension is refreshed/new. Should take care of bushings and ball joints at the same time and get me in to look at the passenger side brake pad thats been ever so slightly hanging up.

#266 ·
Installed my GROM usb adaptor this afternoon.

Wow. Audio quality is fantastic now. Actually rattle the doors with the bass up. Good thing the Emerald is getting dynamat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.