AWD Suspension
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: AWD Suspension

AWD Suspension

As you AWD guys know, our options for struts are severely limited. In fact, there are essentially zero aftermarket struts for the rears. It's basically coilovers or OEM.

However I have the opportunity (until tomorrow) to purchase a brand new Heico kit for $1500. KW V1s can be had for another $300 (not that it matters, because I'm not spending that much).

From Tasca Parts, it looks like the OEM shocks and springs go for a little under a grand. Non-KW coilovers can be had for about the same.

What are the thoughts on the Heico kit (Bilstein B8s + 30mm lowering springs)? Worth a 50% premium over OEM or BC/PB/ISC coilovers?

Personally I'm leaning towards picking up the Heico kit. I'm not impressed w/ the OEM dynamic suspension (though I've only driven on it w/ 90k+ miles) and don't want to risk poor ride quality w/ the coilovers.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a rare find. Those custom B8s have been out of production for quite some time. Price is a little steep but for what you seem to be looking for I might lean in that direction also. You'll also never have a problem selling those. I'm not much of a coil over guy, for the street anyhow. Most of it has to do with where I live. The "adjustable" features don't last much more than a year. KW has better material but like you mentioned, you gotta pay.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 04-07-2016 at 09:26 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Lighter Brakes in the Front and Lighter Wheel Set - Ups allow the Front Suspension to Act Better ..
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Their Prices and Quality are Good .
      http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Get the heico set!!!!!!
      (IF YOU DONT - TELL ME HOW/WHERE TO GET IT)
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

I'm a cheapskate, sure the Heico stuff is good....but I don't think it is worth $600 more than I paid for my BCs.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

Well just pulled the trigger on a Heico set!

Was talking w/ Viva performance yesterday and the rep mentioned Heico had 2 kits left. Not sure if the other is spoken for, but this is prob the last chance to pick one up if it wasn't (I believe the kit was discontinued). They have to be shipped from Germany so they'll take a week or 2 to get here, but I can't wait to throw them on!!
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

awesome!
      Is there rear adjustable on those or no? or is anything adjustable?
      05' S40 T5 AWD >129k miles. KW V1. E-focus tq Mount. Racing Beat rsb. SPC arms. 18"Midir's, 17" Pegs.
      Elevate Cat-back. EST Downpipe. ATP FMIC. Elevate TCV.Shark, Stage '3' Tune.
      '97 E36 BMW M3
      Previous: 95' 854 T5

Nothing adjustable. They simply had Bilstein run a batch of custom rear shocks to match their springs & the AWD height. They have been NLA for quite some time.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

oh, i thought so. Worth it for custom rear shocks though.
      05' S40 T5 AWD >129k miles. KW V1. E-focus tq Mount. Racing Beat rsb. SPC arms. 18"Midir's, 17" Pegs.
      Elevate Cat-back. EST Downpipe. ATP FMIC. Elevate TCV.Shark, Stage '3' Tune.
      '97 E36 BMW M3
      Previous: 95' 854 T5

Be sure to post some pictures and driving impressions once you get the new Heico suspension installed! Curious to see how an AWD will look/drive with upgraded suspension!
      The lack of decent strut/shock upgrades concerns me. Literally it seems like we have OEM or coilovers as our only options. Wish Heico had made more of this setup!
      Corey.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD - current
      1996 855 Turbo - sold

I just don't get why everyone insists that we don't have rear AWD shock options. The FWD rear units fit with very little modification. If you are not running slammed to the ground the FWD rear shocks work perfectly fine. Several members including myself have FWD suspension parts on the AWD chassis.
      V50-AWD-T5-M66 FOR SALE w/some mods, Huge FMIC & Sprayer, MR Coilovers, RacingBeat Sway, 320mm F/R Rotors SS Lines, Android Stereo, 70mm 911 Throttle, F-150 Intake, Dashcam, More...
      |2ZZ Toyota MR-S| AMG ML500 | Lotus Elise (sold) | S60R (sold) | MR2 V6 Turbo (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by quadcamsix View Post
      I just don't get why everyone insists that we don't have rear AWD shock options. The FWD rear units fit with very little modification. If you are not running slammed to the ground the FWD rear shocks work perfectly fine. Several members including myself have FWD suspension parts on the AWD chassis.
      coilovers is what you got, right?. there's already a huge gap with oem AWD shocks. if you get FWD shocks (for those like the OP that dont want coilovers) your gap will be even bigger.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

^^I saw your thread quadcam

I wouldn't call cutting the strut towers a minor mod but glad it worked out. What was actually required to make the rear strut fit? you mentioned trimming the bushing down. Any issues w/ the longer FWD shock body?
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Cutting the strut towers is not required. That is just for AutoXers who want front camber adjustment on the fly at the track.

The rear FWD strut is really easy to use on the rear AWD spot. All that is required is to remove 2mm from either side of the bottom bushing. As for the length difference, if you are not slammed it doesnt matter since the strut still has plenty of travel. You can easily lower by 1-2" using FWD struts on the AWD. Again, I am not the only person doing this others can chime in. Disclaimer* if you have really low aftermarket springs you may want to make sure an extra inch wont have you too close to the bump stops.
      V50-AWD-T5-M66 FOR SALE w/some mods, Huge FMIC & Sprayer, MR Coilovers, RacingBeat Sway, 320mm F/R Rotors SS Lines, Android Stereo, 70mm 911 Throttle, F-150 Intake, Dashcam, More...
      |2ZZ Toyota MR-S| AMG ML500 | Lotus Elise (sold) | S60R (sold) | MR2 V6 Turbo (sold)

I've got the KW V1, if you look around you can probably find a set for $1500. You gotta pay to play and awd suspension carries a premium.
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Desgin (The Unicorn) - KW V1 - FastCo FC04A - Elevate rear sway bar - Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms - GoVo ecu spacer

Here is the example of the difference. As you can see even loosing 1 inch still leaves PLENTY of travel.

Nice Quality - HD ( All Alloy ) Built and some are Adjustable .. many different Combo's to be Tried or Fitted - Pretty Sure they have 1's that Meet the same or Similar Dimensions . .

http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/stocker-star-non-coil-over-shocks

So If You have the Lower Mount Eyelet - Dia.

The Compressed Length

The Extended Length - There Ya Go .
      Last edited by EngTech; 04-08-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      Nice Quality - HD ( All Alloy ) Built and some are Adjustable .. many different Combo's to be Tried or Fitted - Pretty Sure they have 1's that Meet the same or Similar Dimensions . .

http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/stocker-star-non-coil-over-shocks

So If You have the Lower Mount Eyelet - Dia.

The Compressed Length

The Extended Length - There Ya Go .
      Very cool, thanks!

Plus they have 100's of Special Fittings and Special Coil Over Mod components ..

I guess I just got lucky from the start. The previous owner of my '07 S40 AWD T5 MT was in the service and bought the car in Germany and soon after he bought it, he took it to the Heico factory and had them to the sports suspension kit and dual exhaust. Elevate got a hold of it once it got sent to this county!

I do wonder what I'm going to do though once the suspension parts start to wear out...I have just under 68K miles on the car now.
      Last edited by MadeInJapan; 04-09-2016 at 12:31 AM.

My LF spring has broken and I'm now in the market. I've been researching threads, trying to make a decision on the route to take, making my head spin. Unfortunately, lowering my car just isn't in the fold as the roads where live are horrible, hence my broken spring. I'm very much leaning towards replacing the two front spring and upgrading to Bilstein HD struts. From all the treads and the back and forth I've read hoping you gents can give me some reassurance that I'm not backwards here, and if any mod's would be required to mount the fronts.

My Stock plate code reads Type 22 (Comfort), This is what i'm thinking:

-Replace 2 front springs with Code 22 Volvo Part#30714868
      -LF: Bilstein B6 Part#BIL-35110736
      -LR: Bilstein B6 Part#BIL-35110743

For the rear, retain springs and..This!!! http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-shocks-on-AWD
      06' S40 T5 AWD M66 - Barents Blue

That would be just fine for your needs. No modification is necessary.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      That would be just fine for your needs. No modification is necessary.
      Sweet, thanks so much
      06' S40 T5 AWD M66 - Barents Blue

I searched "H&R" and didn't find anything. Am reading through all the suspension threads to try to figure out what I will do (really need front struts ASAP at least)..
      But came across this mfg that appears to have something that works for the AWD models? http://www.hrsprings.com/application...s/39/703/2005/ Another options maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by JomamaAK View Post
      I searched "H&R" and didn't find anything. Am reading through all the suspension threads to try to figure out what I will do (really need front struts ASAP at least)..
      But came across this mfg that appears to have something that works for the AWD models? http://www.hrsprings.com/application...s/39/703/2005/ Another options maybe?
      I think that's just for FWD. If you lookup the C30, the coilover kit has the same part #
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Ah ok, good info. Someone listed a kit on Ebay and states its for the AWD. I'm probably going bilstein anyway but always looking for options..

Does anyone have any idea where we can get stiffer springs for AWD? I am not looking for a drop of more than half an inch, the less the better.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Does anyone have any idea where we can get stiffer springs for AWD? I am not looking for a drop of more than half an inch, the less the better.
      Of the aftermarket choices, I believe Heico has the smallest drop: 30mm or 1.2 inches
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

Do you already have the dynamic package? If not, I can sell you my (front) dynamic springs for a song.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

You pay through the nose but the factory kit is 30664256. Made by Eibach it's ~ 20mm
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements