Teflon/PTFE vs. Polish/Wax
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Results 1 to 7 of 7
    1. #1
      Anyone out there ever actually used a teflon/PTFE paint protection product such as "Toughguard" or "5 Star"?

      Supposedly, a one-time application will last 5 years on new paint and up to three years on a used car (more than a year old).

      If so, does it work any better and stay on longer than a polish/wax treatment?

      Thanks for your comments.


    2. #2
      Don't do it, just use a good carnuba wax twice per year and nothing more.

      Sam


    3. #3
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      31,374
      quote:
      Originally posted by RayD:
      Anyone out there ever actually used a teflon/PTFE paint protection product such as "Toughguard" or "5 Star"?

      Supposedly, a one-time application will last 5 years on new paint and up to three years on a used car (more than a year old).

      If so, does it work any better and stay on longer than a polish/wax treatment?

      Thanks for your comments.



      I havea hard time believing that any product would lay such a protective layer on a painted surface for such a long time. I would, personally, stay away from such product and use a good wax. Remember, if this product were "the real deal" then everyone would do it and be happy not to wax a car for many years!

      Yannis

      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015.5 V60 T6 AWD R-design, Crystal White Pearl w/ Climate package/Booster Seats/Platinum trim level/BLIS/Front Blind View Camera/19" IXION wheels

    4. #4
      For a brand new S60, is it better to wait some period of time before waxing? I've read that the paint takes up to 6 months from the date of manufacturing to "cure" properly and don't want to interfere with the process- but I do want to protect the finish.

      Thanks for your advice!


    5. #5
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      31,374
      quote:
      Originally posted by volvair:
      For a brand new S60, is it better to wait some period of time before waxing? I've read that the paint takes up to 6 months from the date of manufacturing to "cure" properly and don't want to interfere with the process- but I do want to protect the finish.

      Thanks for your advice!


      That's a myth.

      If that were the case, Volvo would be holding off on selling the cars rather than risk damage to the paint which would have to be covered under warranty, therefore out of their pocket.

      Yannis

      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015.5 V60 T6 AWD R-design, Crystal White Pearl w/ Climate package/Booster Seats/Platinum trim level/BLIS/Front Blind View Camera/19" IXION wheels

    6. #6
      Yannis if that is true, why does volvo say in the owner's manual not to polish/wax your car for the first 6 months?

    7. #7
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      31,374
      quote:
      Originally posted by scott m:
      Yannis if that is true, why does volvo say in the owner's manual not to polish/wax your car for the first 6 months?

      That is the "$1,000,000" question...And most Volvo reps agree with what I wrote. In all the years I have been working where I am (since 1994) we have been waxing brand new cars, and when I see them coming back either as lease returns (3 years later) or trades )up to 7 years later), their paint has not suffered other than chronic abuse or from bird droppings. I think that they are being overly (and unnecessarily) cautious.

      Yannis

      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015.5 V60 T6 AWD R-design, Crystal White Pearl w/ Climate package/Booster Seats/Platinum trim level/BLIS/Front Blind View Camera/19" IXION wheels