The "College Wagon" Wagon Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The "College Wagoon" Wagon Thread

Hi there!

I have been meaning to create this thread for what seems like forever. I meant to start it when I got my 01 XC. 50,000 miles and two years later, I have now upgraded to a much much nicer 06 XC. Now seems like a better time than ever to share the beautiful saga that is owning a Volvo as a college student.

A little background on the car: 2006 XC70, Silver Metallic, Taupe Leather, with Climate Package, Convenience Package, and Premium Package. It has 243K on the clock and is solid as a rock. I could not be happier!

Mods: R Rear Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Sport Steering Wheel from S60 T5, iMEV iPod audio hook-up, Thule Aero Blades, Thule Big Mouth Bike Rack.
      Last edited by Because_Sweden; 04-22-2016 at 07:50 PM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e
      1993 Volvo 850 NA 5-Speed Sold

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pictures:

The first fill up.

The night I picked up the car. A picture with Prolix's new ride was due.

My 06, my mothers P3, and my old 01.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Subscribed!

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First ride of the season.

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Nothing better than a 426 wagon. They're great. Seriously. Silver metallic is the best wagon color... I know something about high mileage P2s so if you want an idea of what's gonna break I can help lol.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

I went on a little drive this past Saturday with my pup to get my mind off of things. It all started with a 4 mile run, and once completed I just pointed the car towards the mountains and drove. I went up rt. 501, and got on Coffee road. After traveling it for about 5 miles, I turned off on Rocky Mountain Rd, a gravel road.

Being a state owned gravel road, it was mostly easy going. Starting at about 500 ft. of elevation, by the time I got to the top, I'd climbed nearly 1000 feet.

Here's the view of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains from the top:

I then began my way down the other side of the mountain. I came to a fork where I could keep right and continue on Rocky Mtn. Rd., or veer left and take Walker Rd. With me being in an adventurous attitude and Walker looking like a rougher, less maintained road, I turned left and continued on.

The road immediately became less maintained and more rutted out. Making my way down the mountain involved locking it in 1st gear and maneuvering between 1+ ft deep ruts and rocks sticking about a foot into the air. With me just buying the vehicle 2 weeks prior, I wasn't trying to punch a whole in the oil pan, so slow and steady was the name of the game.

I came across this rock jutting out from the cliff side and thought it made for a nice flexing photo featuring my pup

Just to give you a glimpse on how steep the decent was, see that green thing in the back of the photo? That's a house. We dropped almost 800 feet within a quarter of a mile. It was pretty fun!

Once we got to the bottom, I turned left on to Fontella Rd and the going was pretty easy and flat. I turned onto Knight Rd. and trekked back upward to Rt 501 and began my journey back home. All in all, I did between 15-20 miles off-road. It was mostly easy going with just enough moderately complex spots to make it fun.

Thanks Satchel for giving me the encouragement to journey off the pavement! Even though it wasn't anything nearly as challenging as what you go through, it was still quite a lot of fun

Last edited by Because_Sweden; 04-09-2016 at 03:55 PM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Nothing better than a 426 wagon. They're great. Seriously. Silver metallic is the best wagon color... I know something about high mileage P2s so if you want an idea of what's gonna break I can help lol.
      Hahah, thanks Hounddogger. My 01 currently has 244K on it and it still has its original transmission, so we know a thing or two of taking care of high milage Volvo's around my way. Sure, I was hesitant to buy it, but the price was right and it's basically an exact (updated) twin of my old 01 with everything that needed fixing on the 01 already done on it. I'm hoping that ownership will be an uneventful one, but that wouldn't make for a fun thread now would it?
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Subscribed. This is great.
      I commend you for your love of both dog and Volvo.
      Barry
      2007 V70R GT, Electric Silver / Nordkap
      2012 XC70 T6,CPO, Black Sapphire/Off-Black, Premier Plus, Climate, Polestar
      2000 V70R, Venetian Red / Two-Tone, with generally working headlight wipers!
      "It's a dirty story 'bout a Volvo man, and his clinging wife doesn't understand..."

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Subscribed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
      Subscribed. This is great.
      I commend you for your love of both dog and Volvo.
      Thanks guys!! I appreciate the love.

& yes, I love my little (not so little anymore) Emma. We've had her since 8 weeks and at a little over a year old, she never fails to bring a smile to my face.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Rad! So nice to see other trip reports! I get bored of my own lol...

SUBBED.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Nothing better than a 426 wagon. They're great. Seriously. Silver metallic is the best wagon color....
      I was pretty ambivalent about the color when I first got mine. Prior cars were dark green and dark grey. Now I love it. It looks good clean or dirty, it goes well with black and grey wheels, trim, and accessories, and most importantly, it photographs really, really well

I'm eyeing a second silver wagon as we speak...
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I was pretty ambivalent about the color when I first got mine. Prior cars were dark green and dark grey. Now I love it. It looks good clean or dirty, it goes well with black and grey wheels, trim, and accessories, and most importantly, it photographs really, really well

I'm eyeing a second silver wagon as we speak...
      Hides dents well too... And photographed in HDR with contrasting trim it really pops.
      Exponents kill
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Hides dents well too....
      Oh yes! That too; mine has a few of those.

Believe it or not, I used to rank silver as one of my least desirable colors until I owned what is now B-Sweden's car. Now? It's one of my first choices.

I have seen the light after years of seeing base non-metalic shades of silver.

Hides dents well too... And photographed in HDR with contrasting trim it really pops.
      THIS. Literally how I made my 01 with its forever faded no-matter-how-many-times-I-died-the-trim trim look halfway decent.

While a perfectly done White Pearl Metallic will always be my favorite, silver is the best all round color.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

So I got into a bit of bother last night.

I somehow stumbled upon a massive puddle of mud and fell right in! Multiple times actually.

It was the craziest thing!

In other news, I've discovered the headlight washer jets are not working. There's plenty of fluid in the reservoir, and the windshield washer jets work just fine. I don't believe a hose is loose because there's no fluid drip when I activate them.

Any ideas?

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

I wasn't too thrilled with the gold metallic, but like the silver it hides dirt very well.

plus, it's the ultimate sleeper color.
      "Did that guy just go by me at triple digit speeds?"
      "Nah, that was a beige volvo wagon."

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      I wasn't too thrilled with the gold metallic, but like the silver it hides dirt very well.

plus, it's the ultimate sleeper color.
      "Did that guy just go by me at triple digit speeds?"
      "Nah, that was a beige volvo wagon."
      Even better with a silver or brown one ... Especially when the silver one can go from said triple digit speeds to nothing very very quickly.
      Exponents kill

I've always been a fan of light interiors/exteriors, but on a XC the Ocean Race is... phhhssst... ugghhh... Towel please
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Even better with a silver or brown one ... Especially when the silver one can go from said triple digit speeds to nothing very very quickly.
      if I could have convinced my wife to drive a manual transmission we would own an M66 R.

but I've neve rgotten her to use a third pedal. It's one of my life's goals at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Because_Sweden View Post
      So I got into a bit of bother last night.

I somehow stumbled upon a massive puddle of mud and fell right in! Multiple times actually.

[IMG] I've discovered the headlight washer jets are not working. There's plenty of fluid in the reservoir, and the windshield washer jets work just fine. I don't believe a hose is loose because there's no fluid drip when I activate them.
      I would suspect that the pump isn't running. There is a separate pump for the headlight washers and the windshield washers.

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      I would suspect that the pump isn't running. There is a separate pump for the headlight washers and the windshield washers.

I just put in a new OEM pump in mine, after checking flow, fuses and fluid level. Still no jet, just a seemingly random squirt I barely see across the hood.
      '07 V70 AWD D5/6spd auto - #becauseracediesel (link)
      '99 V70 AWD - B5254T, M58, Coral Red - sold, sadly
      Ray McShake @ Facebook & Instagram - ponchoadventure@snapchat(at your own risk)

Follow @volvocarclubnorway on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
      I just put in a new OEM pump in mine, after checking flow, fuses and fluid level. Still no jet, just a seemingly random squirt I barely see across the hood.
      Have you checked the check valves/ anti drain back valves? Nozzles ok? Are your two vent hoses unobstructed?
      2004 V70 R GT 132K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S80 2.5T Auto 152k Daily

So true! I've (allegedly) passed cops going much over the posted limit and they've never even batted an eye. Joke is that they always believe I'm some mom running late taking little Axle to violin practice.

(No offense to moms that are actually running late taking little Axle to violin practice)
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

So, I still haven't found the time to track down the issue causing the front headlight jets to not work, but I have discovered that my rear window spray does not work either. If I remember correctly, both sprays run off the same pump, so maybe there's something wrong with the pump? Hopefully this weekend will give me the time needed to investigate more.

In other news: want to make an XC look small? Park this wank machine next to it.

I don't like being Mr. Buzzkill, but this thing is literally a hazard to anyone on the road. Virginia has bumper hight laws for a reason. If it is hit from the rear, that trailer hitch is going directly into someone's face. God forbid it run into another vehicle...

I'm tempted to call Johnny Law on this guy, but I'm sure it's already been done.

Yay small towns with small town sheriff departments.

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

**** that Brodozer.

I like real overland and off road rigs not that bull****

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      **** that Brodozer.

I like real overland and off road rigs not that bull****
      I agree. The driver looked at me like he was expecting a compliment. I glanced, smirked, and kept on walking.

I've seen the truck multiple times before, and have more mud on my car currently than he's ever had on that sad midlife crisis.

I hate vehicles lifted for looks.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Hey I've seen something similar! I hate brodozers. As if the R didn't look short enough:
      Exponents kill

So, I still haven't found the time to track down the issue causing the front headlight jets to not work, but I have discovered that my rear window spray does not work either. If I remember correctly, both sprays run off the same pump, so maybe there's something wrong with the pump? Hopefully this weekend will give me the time needed to investigate more.
      Not sure if it's different on my 2004 V70 but a single pump provides to all washers. The pump has two outlets; one for the rear and one for the windshield and headlights. You can see the line to the headlight washers teed off from the windshield line.

There is another valve splitting the line to the left and right headlight

And f*ck brodozers.

Yay small towns with small town sheriff departments.

2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

If its any consolation, my headlight and rear window washer jets don't work either.

In fact, it was only recently I learned it even had them!

04 doesn't have high pressure washers for the headlights. I'll look I'm VIDA and see about the pumps/routing.
      Exponents kill

04 doesn't have high pressure washers for the headlights. I'll look I'm VIDA and see about the pumps/routing.
      So I'm only half ignorant apparently. That's good I suppose

Yeah 04 is low pressure for everything. Front is a valve, rear is a valve.
      05+ gets a HP pump for the headlight washers, the rest is the same.
      Exponents kill

I agree. The driver looked at me like he was expecting a compliment. I glanced, smirked, and kept on walking.

I've seen the truck multiple times before, and have more mud on my car currently than he's ever had on that sad midlife crisis.

I hate vehicles lifted for looks.
      As far as your headlamp washer pump, I just changed mine out on my '05. Cost about $65 USD from FCP and it requires that you remove the nose of the car to replace. After you get the nose off, its all right there and pretty simple swap to the new part. Took me way longer to get the nose off and then back on, then to change the pump, about 40 minutes all in. I found on mine, that the old pump had gotten straight water in it and then froze, splitting the housing and seizing up the motor. One note is to drain the washer tank before you pull the old pump. That tank holds close to 2 US Gal of fluid and it will all come out when you pull the pump if you don't get it out of there first.

More general on your "College Wagon". Way nicer than anything I had when I went to university (Miami of Ohio '77) when I had a '72 Datsun 510 which was rigged up as a SCCA Pro Rally car. Used to come back to campus from a rally with way more mud on the car than anything you got there and I got the same kind of reactions that you got. Usually it was something around getting the car washed or "get that heap off campus". Any road, great XC you have and a really nice university ride IMHO.

Have fun,

Bill
      '05 V70R (Magic Blue/Gobi)
      '05 XC70 (Lava Sand/Gray)
      '96 850R (Red) - sadly missed genuine Cdn-spec w/M59 and 250HP
      Six other past Volvos, some missed others not so much.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast