The "College Wagon" Wagon Thread - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      I like those flaps. I've considered trying some, but I always conclude that it's not worth the trouble because: a) I will likely rip them off while adventuring and b) I like getting this car dirty.

Next volvo getting some OEM flaps though...
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I like those flaps. I've considered trying some, but I always conclude that it's not worth the trouble because: a) I will likely rip them off while adventuring and b) I like getting this car dirty.

Next volvo getting some OEM flaps though...
      The OEM flaps are pretty durable. When we had 2+ feet of snow they never ripped off. I've also audibly heard scraping of the rocker panel in my 01 while off roading, and they still hung on. I did pop a rivet, but they hung on.

I would suggest getting rally armor flaps though if you're going to do a lot of off roading. Even though the Volvo flaps are flexible, the rally armor flaps are more flexible. The OE flaps look better though... Tough call.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e
      1993 Volvo 850 NA 5-Speed Sold

No rally armours for me I don't think. I'll stay with no flaps on this guy for now. I've got absurd tire plans in the works that may require cutting the rear wells some so I want to get that sorted first then I can look at flaps.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

No rally armours for me I don't think. I'll stay with no flaps on this guy for now. I've got absurd tire plans in the works that may require cutting the rear wells some so I want to get that sorted first then I can look at flaps.
      I don't blame you. I don't that rally armors would look good on a XC.

Here's what my 01 looks like with OE flaps. They do drop the clearance right behind the wheel by a good 4 inches or more. Something to consider of any flaps.

I think I'm going to go flapless for the time being on my 06. One, because I like the flapless look, and two, because they are a true PITA to take off!

Also, mud spray is cool sometimes
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Thanks for the pics man!

Yeah, I can't see how those wouldn't have gotten destroyed during a few of my recent episodes. Particularly the one on forest road that turned out to be "closed" lol. Just all sorts of terrible scraping sounds from nose, tail, and rockers and fun stuff like that. Mighta been savage for flaps...

I'll hopefully get my OEM flap fix soon if this new car ever makes its way to me. It won't be for offroad use, but given that living in a rural area means the occasional dirt and gravel road like-it-or- not, I think a bit of protection is in order in that regard.

I'll hopefully get my OEM flap fix soon if this new car ever makes its way to me. It won't be for offroad use, but given that living in a rural area means the occasional dirt and gravel road like-it-or- not, I think a bit of protection is in order in that regard.
      Yes, I've heard about this "new car." I'm nearly as excited as you, and I'm not even buying it!! You're going to have some awesome rides, man!
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Quote Originally Posted by Because_Sweden View Post
      Yes, I've heard about this "new car." I'm nearly as excited as you, and I'm not even buying it!! You're going to have some awesome rides, man!
      Lol. Yeahhhhhhhhhh; I hope so.

I refuse to count my chickens before they hatch. AKA until I've test driven it successfully, paid the agreed upon price, and driven off the lot without a screen being pulled back to reveal a camera crew and audience laughing at me and revealing it's all been a giant hoax

Until then it's just a pipe dream. But now we're getting way off track....

Lol. Yeahhhhhhhhhh; I hope so.

I refuse to count my chickens before they hatch. AKA until I've test driven it successfully, paid the agreed upon price, and driven off the lot without a screen being pulled back to reveal a camera crew and audience laughing at me and revealing it's all been a giant hoax

Until then it's just a pipe dream. But now we're getting way off track....
      I'm currently trying to talk a friend into one. She currently owns an Acura RDX and wants an XC60. The great offers on "your (possible) future car" are very enticing.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Quote Originally Posted by Because_Sweden View Post
      I'm currently trying to talk a friend into one. She currently owns an Acura RDX and wants an XC60. The great offers on "your (possible) future car" are very enticing.
      I admire your tenacity. Talking someone who wants an SUV/CUV into a wagon is an uphill battle!

The "College Wagon" Wagon Thread

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been a little MIA here recently. Finals, graduation, and prepping for internships have had me pretty busy.

Anyhow, it's officially summer for me, and before my internship starts I am trying to get my XC in tip top shape. I will be away from my local Volvo Indy for 3+ months. Combine that with me attending school in the fall 4+ hours from home, it may be Christmas before I have a garage and room to wrench again.

Right now the car is at my Indy getting some things fixed that happened pre-purchase.

The car was in some sort of light collision sometime in its past. It did no real damage and wasn't reported for carfax, but caused the bumper to sag on the driver's side. It happened before the previous owner purchased it, and since it never bothered him much he never got around to fixing it. I was promised it would be fixed, and today I can finally say it's fixed!

I've also put the stock XC 16" wheel on from my 01. The 17 inchers that were on need tires and I'm going to run these until I can purchase the tires I want. I'll miss the look in the meantime, but the ride may be better.

Because of this, my 01 currently looks like this:

Other things I'm having done:
      New power steering rack (known of problem before purchase, just now finding time to fix)
      All essential fluid changes as I don't have the time to do it myself.

I hope to pick it up Monday or Tuesday, but until then I'm driving this:

It's a family member's 07 S40 T5 AWD 6-Speed. It's lowered on (I believe) Koni suspension, has all the options except navigation, and is an absolute blast to drive. He hit a massive piece of concrete that blew out of a pot hole on the interstate on his drive back from visiting family in NC. So, now there's a massive intrusion on the driver side rear footwell. With him too busy to, I'm handling all the insurance stuff for him. I have an appointment set up Tuesday for inspection. As it still drives fine, we're hoping it's not totaled, but are prepared for the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Because_Sweden; 05-14-2016 at 06:15 PM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

It's a nice looking car, but I'm not sure I like the lowered look.

Gosh, I'm getting really bad at keeping this thing updated..

In the past month, I've put over 4K on the car.

I've gone mountain carving and down fire roads.

These were taken in the mountains of Wytheville, VA. A great little town with really nice people in a very quaint setting. I highly suggest anyone ever in the area to stop by. Oh, and I forgot to mention the mountain roads around there are absolutely fantastic!! Pair that with the fair number of publicly accessible dirt and gravel fire roads and it all adds up to a great time.

A week later I rented a 5x8 uhaul, loaded it up with all my possessions and headed east.

Even with the rain, hail, and added weight, the car never missed a beat. 250 miles later, I reached my destination: Hampton!

Everything was going perfectly. I moved in no problem, met up with old friends, began making new ones, and then the other day while sitting in traffic on the way to VA Beach the car shuttered. At first I played it off as just a hiccup of a 245K mile car. Then as the days passed it progressively got worse. I've diagnosed it as an intermittent misfire. I had this issue with my 01 and I'm pretty sure it's a coil going bad. It's most noticeable under hard acceleration and while idling under load (with AC on). Evidently, it's not enough of a fault to trip the CE light, so none of the scanners at the local auto parts stores are able to retrieve any codes, therefore I don't really know which coil is actually failing.

As I said before, I'm in the Hampton Roads, Virginia area for my internship. My local Indy is 4 hours away w/o traffic. I do not have my personal scanner, nor do I really have any where to work on my car. My question to you all is, does anyone know of any reputable indy's in the Hampton Roads area? This includes Williamsburg, Yorktown, Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, VA Beach, Chesapeake, etc. I am hoping one will have a scanner powerful enough to be able to retrieve pending fault codes and find out which cylinder is misfiring.

I appreciate any and all recommendations on this issue as I really want to get this problem fixed.

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Because_Sweden; 06-08-2016 at 06:31 AM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey! Just wanted to say nice wagon. I also own a wagon and go to college in the Richmond,VA area (VCU). This is a pick of me and my friend with a s60r. We should have a Volvo meet sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by RVA850 View Post

Hey! Just wanted to say nice wagon. I also own a wagon and go to college in the Richmond,VA area (VCU). This is a pick of me and my friend with a s60r. We should have a Volvo meet sometime.
      Nice wagon man! My first car was a red '93 850 5-speed sedan, so I have a soft spot for 850's.

I attend ODU, and frequent the Richmond area, so we should definitely try to schedule a meet sometime!

Update on my car: I finally found a code reader that was powerful enough to work with my car. As there were no stored codes or even pending codes I had to do some digging in the live data, but I was finally able to track down the misfire to cylinder 5. As the spark plugs are new, and new coils are due, I plan install a new coil today. I have a 200+ mile trip to make tonight, so I will have plenty of time to "run the car through its paces" to see if I did indeed fix the problem.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Update: I replaced the coil in cylinder 5 and she's been running like a top since. Now I just need to address the rattling variable valve timing controller/module and the alarm siren module and everything will be fixed. ...Until it breaks again

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

It's been over 8 months has passed since the last post, and I thought I'd revive my old thread.

Update on my life: I'm now a third year student at Old Dominion University and accordingly my car hasn't really received much attention since moving to Norfolk during the summer. Engineering classes have had me pretty occupied and add being team lead of a NASA project here on campus plus a member of other extracurriculars, I'm ashamed to say it, but I've almost been neglecting the ol' girl.

She currently has just over 264K miles on her clock and when clean looks incredible for her age.

Since last posting, in my car I've---

--- Traveled to Upstate NY with Prolix and MrMagicHands to meet up with Satchel and Antherzoll. Going in October as the leaves were changing made for a truly gorgeous, albeit quick, trip. 1500 miles covered in three days---living.

On the way to NY, I made a pit stop in Philly to meet with a friend and drive his Aston Martin V8 Vantage days before he sold it. Incredible car, and instantly familiar with all the Volvo/Ford tech and switchgear.

--- Made subsequent trips off roading, some of which actually injured my poor girl. Specifically a trip over a mountain pass that was so rough I was able to teeter on two wheels on multiple occurrences.

Overall, I had an incredible time and really was able to test the limits of my car. While the car performed magnificently keeping me in comfort and control the entire time, it wasn't until I began making my way back down the mountain when I realized that one of my tires had not faired so well---I had my first puncture.

I have AAA, but being on a country highway with no cell service within a 30 mile radius, I quickly realized I was going to have to change it myself. I was able to limp the car into a gas station to have a safe work area to change the tire. I pulled over and as I was getting the spare out of the back I realized that in the 260K miles this car has traveled the spare had never been used. It still even had the manufacture sticker on it. I honestly felt a little bad putting the spare on, but nonetheless I soldiered on. The tire change was relatively straight forward with the most time consuming part being figuring out how to operate the jack. Even with having changed spares previously and being a mechanical engineering major, it still took me a solid 10-15 minutes to figure out how to get it to move from its collapsed, stored position. Surely not one of my brightest moments.

Roughly 30 minutes later, I was back on the road.

--- Been to DC countless times (absolutely love that city) and visited the quaint city of Annapolis a few times as well. Old cities never fail to steal my heart.

My most recent adventure and easily the most exciting of 2017 so far is driving in the snowstorm that blanketed my area in early January. Now, just for a few context clues, Norfolk is a coastal city. Elevation in the city is on average 10 feet and the city rarely EVER receives measurable snow.

***the low elevation also makes tidal flooding a huge issue which I've unfortunately already had the inconvenience of dealing with on multiple occasions***

(Anyway, back to the story) Occasionally we'll get a dusting or so, but nothing ever plowable. Because of this the city and surrounding Hampton Roads area has virtually no snow plows. So when our area was "buried" in 8 inches of snow in early January, it literally brought the entire Seven-Cities area to a halt. Businesses were closed, schools were canceled, and grocery store shelves were barren. Literally:

This was the night before the storm hit and as I was just arriving back from being away on winter holiday, and subsequently had no food at my apartment, I was in complete shock. I'm originally from an area that receives between 5-10 measurable snowfalls a year and while they raid the stores whenever the "S" word is mentioned, I'd never seen anything like what people did here. Every grocery store had empty shelves. I showed up after the mad rush, but according to friends that went shopping earlier, parking lots were overflowing and lines were wrapped throughout stores.

Thankfully the meteorologist did not lie and the next morning the white stuff was everywhere. As no one here knows how to drive in snow, the roads were empty and I decided to make them my own.

As you can see, I've put the 17s back on and have them fitted with BFG Comp-2's. I will admit their grip in the white stuff is not nearly as good as my old Goodyear's, but the handling characteristics in dry and wet conditions truly improve the entire car's driving dynamics. I actually had to alter the amount of steering input I give on turn in as these grip so much better than my old tires I was cutting corners short! I currently have about 4K on them and they've proved excellent in every wet and dry condition I've faced them with, and performed adequate in snow.

So that's basically what I've been up to concerning matters where my car is involved since my informal leave of absence here on the forum. I hope to again become more active as you peeps are some great folks.

Cheers!

Last edited by Because_Sweden; 02-20-2017 at 01:25 AM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Well photographed and thought out as usual. Very nice! The old girl continues to do what she does so well.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Well photographed and thought out as usual. Very nice! The old girl continues to do what she does so well.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
      Agreed! Great shots and solid stories.

Subscribed!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I recently took a ride in my friend's 6 speed 08 2.0 p* C30. The tune delivered surprising punch for the only 25 hp/tq advertised.

I'm not sure it delivered enough punch to justify the $1K+ price tag though.

Not Volvo related, but what do you all think of the new Alfa?

A professor at my university has one and I think it's the business. Even in gray it's strikingly gorgeous.

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Just saw one in town the other day for the first time. It's alright I guess

And how about that legendary reliability?!

And how about that legendary reliability?!

Just an Alfa being an Alfa. At least you get to drive a new loaner every other week. Part of what makes the ownership experience so special, aye?

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Question:

Has anyone noticed their halogen headlights brightening or dimming according to ambient lighting conditions? I keep my headlights switched to the 9 o'clock position, and whenever I pull into my covered parking space, or any garage for that matter, during the daylight, my headlights become brighter almost simultaneously with interior dash and console lights illuminating. Looking at the headlight, it does not appear that the main beam is switching on or off, rather just dimming or brightening. I feel as if the voltage is being regulated according to ambient light to control the brightness. I knew that cars equipped with xenon headlights utilized the light sensor on top of the dash to switch between running lights or xenons, but I was not aware that halogen equipped cars did. I will try to get a video of proof that I'm not crazy next time I am able.

Has anyone else noticed this?
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

No, but I do notice that with the DIM and console lights.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3