The "College Wagon" Wagon Thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      I hate dumb lifted trucks like that too. However, there is a guy in town with an early 2000's Sierra HD on stock suspension, red with dark windows.

The thing hauls, I don't know what the numbers are on it but it whistles like a train engine and gets going faster than any truck I've ever seen.

So while lifted trucks for no reason aren't cool, full size super duty trucks with big motor upgrades, at least in my opinion, will always be cool.
      2007 XC70 - Mine
      2014 S60 T5 AWD - Dad's

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      I personally prefer Sheriff Buford T Justice, myself

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Yeah 04 is low pressure for everything. Front is a valve, rear is a valve.
      05+ gets a HP pump for the headlight washers, the rest is the same.
      Thanks for the schematic, Hounddogger!

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
      As far as your headlamp washer pump, I just changed mine out on my '05. Cost about $65 USD from FCP and it requires that you remove the nose of the car to replace. After you get the nose off, its all right there and pretty simple swap to the new part. Took me way longer to get the nose off and then back on, then to change the pump, about 40 minutes all in. I found on mine, that the old pump had gotten straight water in it and then froze, splitting the housing and seizing up the motor. One note is to drain the washer tank before you pull the old pump. That tank holds close to 2 US Gal of fluid and it will all come out when you pull the pump if you don't get it out of there first.

More general on your "College Wagon". Way nicer than anything I had when I went to university (Miami of Ohio '77) when I had a '72 Datsun 510 which was rigged up as a SCCA Pro Rally car. Used to come back to campus from a rally with way more mud on the car than anything you got there and I got the same kind of reactions that you got. Usually it was something around getting the car washed or "get that heap off campus". Any road, great XC you have and a really nice university ride IMHO.

Have fun,

Bill
      I was thinking I was going to have to go ahead and buy new pumps, but I have noticed that my rear wiper spray is not working either. That leads me to think that it's not the pump, rather something else. That, or just both headlight pumps died simultaneously to the rear wiper jet dying

& yes, I am quite fortunate to have the vehicle I have. My old 01 was a hand me down from my mom. She drove it hard for work putting 50K on it in 2 years, forgetting oil changes, the lot. Prolix can account to the constant struggle I had to keep things working while new things that he'd "never seen before" kept breaking. Before that I had a '93 850 5-speed. Even though each had their own mechanical gremlins, I loved them both. Both were mine, and both gave me freedom I had not yet had. In the 50K+ miles I drove the 01, it only left me stranded once, and that was due to a REBUILT throttle from Xemodex dying; no fault to the car.

So far the 06 hasn't given me a single issue (besides the headlight washer stuff, which isn't really much to complain about). I've put nearly 4K miles on it, and so far (knock on wood) no check engine light!! Easily the longest I've gone without one since owning my 850. The 01 used to always trip the CE light due to the catalytic converter being below efficiency. Even with me being the eco conscious student I am, with my area not having emissions testing and the cost of installing a new one, I never worried about it.

Long story short: I'm loving this car.
      Last edited by Because_Sweden; 04-14-2016 at 06:37 PM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e
      1993 Volvo 850 NA 5-Speed Sold

I'm going on almost a month with no CEL. That's damn near a record for me luckily, almost none of them have been anything consequential.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one living in a place where "brodozers" abound. Down here it's Z-71s sitting on 44" Super Swampers or Caprices sitting on 30" rims and rubber bands. Equal parts hilarious and tragic/scary. I literally got ecstatic when I saw a P80 V70R on the road last week…
      (now) Mine: 2003 V70 T5M // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 148K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // 18" Pegs // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // MOMO shift knob // black anodized S80 gauge faces // R steering wheel // T5M spaceball // IPD eggcrate grill //
      Formerly Mine: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 N/A M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
      Well, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one living in a place where "brodozers" abound. Down here it's Z-71s sitting on 44" Super Swampers or Caprices sitting on 30" rims and rubber bands. Equal parts hilarious and tragic/scary. I literally got ecstatic when I saw a P80 V70R on the road last week…
      So many brodozer here but also a surprising number of Rs. Two in my small village of 1800 people (same owner; IPD decals) and several across the water (as well as a couple RDs) in and around the city of Hudson, NY. I think most of them are owned by people who don't actually know what they have, but they are still Rs so who cares!
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

lol.
      You guys don't even know. I live in the tractor pulling center of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      So many brodozer here but also a surprising number of Rs. Two in my small village of 1800 people (same owner; IPD decals) and several across the water (as well as a couple RDs) in and around the city of Hudson, NY. I think most of them are owned by people who don't actually know what they have, but they are still Rs so who cares!
      It's like when I see old ladies driving Forester/Outback XT's. Do they realize they are driving one of the fastest wagons on the road?

There's an older woman in the town I workout in that has an R. Thing is pristine, probably hasn't seen the redline in it's life. An absolute cream puff.
      2007 XC70 - Mine
      2014 S60 T5 AWD - Dad's

With it being a college town, we have a good number of Volvo's. Here, XC90's and XC70's rule the road. S60's and XC60's are probably next in line. Sadly, not many R's to speak of.

But we do have this awesome XC70 that graces us with its presence occasionally:

The thing is so badass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Quote Originally Posted by mymomhadthis View Post
      It's like when I see old ladies driving Forester/Outback XT's. Do they realize they are driving one of the fastest wagons on the road? .
      No hate for Subaru at all--or you, you're great :-)--but there are several faster and more wagon-like wagons on the road than those two.

The XT is no slouch at all, but off the top of my head these are all faster:

- Mercedes E63 AMG
      - BMW M5 touring
      - BMW 328i x-drive
      - Dodge Magnum
      - Cadillac CTS-V

And of course we wouldn't be here is not for the swedes:

- Saab 9-3 turbo X
      - Volvo 850 T5R
      - Volvo V70R
      - Volvo V60 Polestar
      - Volvo V60 R-Design

I'm sure there are others I don't know about or forgot. Probably an Audi from the mid 2000s or some ****. But point being while wagons themselves are certainly a rare breed, within that segment their are several produced for sale in America in the last couple decades still on road that will smoke an XT

- Mercedes E63 AMG
      - BMW M5 touring
      - BMW 328i x-drive
      - Dodge Magnum
      - Cadillac CTS-V

- Saab 9-3 turbo X
      - Volvo 850 T5R
      - Volvo V70R
      - Volvo V60 Polestar
      - Volvo V60 R-Design
      While I love a fast Subaru as much as the next guy, out of that list given I'd have to take either the E63, or the M5. Considering the M5 touring never made its way stateside, a E63 is what I'd have. Sophistication, speed, and exclusivity. It's the ultimate wagon in my opinion.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

The "College Wagon" Wagon Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Because_Sweden View Post
      While I love a fast Subaru as much as the next guy, out of that list given I'd have to take either the E63, or the M5. Considering the M5 touring never made its way stateside, a E63 is what I'd have. Sophistication, speed, and exclusivity. It's the ultimate wagon in my opinion.
      Thought I took the M5 touring off the list but post got gobbled half way thru and I rewrote it. Shouldn't be there as the point was wagons available stateside. Sorry guys!

Also, agreed in a sense re an E63 AMG 4-matic being "the ultimate", But I would probably BUY a V60P* before it. By which I mean: I will probably not be able to comfortably afford the Benz anytime in the next decade.

Thought I took the M5 touring off the list but post got gobbled half way thru and I rewrote it. Shouldn't be there as the point was wagons available stateside. Sorry guys!

Also, agreed in a sense re an E63 AMG 4-matic being "the ultimate", But I would probably BUY a V60P* before it. By which I mean: I will probably not be able to comfortably afford the Benz anytime in the next decade.
      As I sit here eating pizza discussing with my parents how much graduate school is going to cost, I feel your 'not being able to afford a Benz' attitude. I just did some quick pricing, at it seems both the W211 and W212 AMG Wagons are hard to find for less than $50K, and thats even with having 50,000+ miles on the car.

A man can dream...
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

No hate for Subaru at all--or you, you're great :-)--but there are several faster and more wagon-like wagons on the road than those two.

- Mercedes E63 AMG
      - BMW M5 touring
      - BMW 328i x-drive
      - Dodge Magnum
      - Cadillac CTS-V

- Saab 9-3 turbo X
      - Volvo 850 T5R
      - Volvo V70R
      - Volvo V60 Polestar
      - Volvo V60 R-Design

I'm sure there are others I don't know about or forgot. Probably an Audi from the mid 2000s or some ****. But point being while wagons themselves are certainly a rare breed, within that segment their are several produced for sale in America in the last couple decades still on road that will smoke an XT
      Oh, of course there are faster wagons. I was just referring to the fact that these 75 year old grandmas are putting around town in what is essentially a rally car with a trunk. I'm well aware there are faster wagons.

End game car for me is the either the B5 RS4 which only came in a wagon and was NOT sold in the US. Or that RS6 with 560HP or something from a few years back. That thing was an absolute monster.
      2007 XC70 - Mine
      2014 S60 T5 AWD - Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by mymomhadthis View Post
      Oh, of course there are faster wagons. I was just referring to the fact that these 75 year old grandmas are putting around town in what is essentially a rally car with a trunk. I'm well aware there are faster wagons.
      This was really just a secret Way for me to talk about awesome fast wagons at your expense since they been on my mind a lot lately for reasons I will explain soon.

Not trying to be a nudge, sorry man.

And sorry for thread jacking too because_sweden

This was really just a secret Way for me to talk about awesome fast wagons at your expense since they been on my mind a lot lately for reasons I will explain soon.

And sorry for thread jacking too because_sweden
      Hahah, it's no problem man. It gives people a reason to click on my thread, and we all learn a bit in the process. Talking cars is never a bad thing!
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

I didn't even know I had rear washers. I wonder if Lurch has them...

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixsWife View Post
      I didn't even know I had rear washers. I wonder if Lurch has them...
      Yes, to my knowledge, all Volvo wagons have had them since at least the 850. Push the stalk to the right of the steering wheel back and the rear window washer and wiper should come on.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

So I washed my car yesterday:

And with today being the first day of National Park Week, I went hiking in the Shenandoah National Forest...for free!!

This time around, my friend and I hiked the White Oak Cedar Run trail located in, of all places, Syria.

Yes, you read that right. Syria isn't only in the Middle East. It's also in Northwestern Virginia. Hah!

The circuit was 8 miles up and down a mountain, with over 2500 ft in elevation gain, so the hike was pretty strenuous. But the scenery was absolutely gorgeous!

The weather was perfect!

The trail is known for its streams and falls, and it did not disappoint!

http://youtu.be/XK4VLF4vBPk

What we came for:

http://youtu.be/xfEXoMITlu8

Even the way back was gorgeous.

Overall, it was an amazing trip. Beyond worth the 4hr round trip drive.

Explore the outdoors. Mother Nature has a lot to offer.

Last edited by Because_Sweden; 04-17-2016 at 07:53 PM.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

That is such a great looking trip. Haven't hiked down that way in so long, but it's incredible.

And the wagon is looking so good! Mine is currently a filthy crusty mess full of kid crap and trash

That is such a great looking trip. Haven't hiked down that way in so long, but it's incredible.

And the wagon is looking so good! Mine is currently a filthy crusty mess full of kid crap and trash
      Yes, I am quite lucky to live where I do. From where I live, I can be at the beach, double black diamond ski slopes, world renown hiking, and the Nation's capital, all within 4 hours. There's not much going on around my neck of the woods, but I can quickly be places where there is!

& thanks man!! I can't keep myself from staring at it while it's parked. In its current configuration, it's just so "right."
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

The first road trip after cleaning mine it's pretty much back to the same state. Ketchup and fries annihilated the back seats and center console today.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

The first road trip after cleaning mine it's pretty much back to the same state. Ketchup and fries annihilated the back seats and center console today.
      Gosh, man. Kids are rough!!

I'm glad my brother and I are the youngest of our generation and none of our cousins have children yet. I have a hard enough time letting my Lab in the car, and she's literally my favorite thing in this entire world. Nieces and nephews...I don't see myself having much love for young, screaming children.
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

Nieces and nephews...I don't see myself having much love for young, screaming children.
      Just you wait, your heart will melt, and you will even put up with milk dumped under the seats for the chance of retaining the favorite uncle position.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Just you wait, your heart will melt, and you will even put up with milk dumped under the seats for the chance of retaining the favorite uncle position.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
      it's easy to be the favorite uncle.

blow stuff up, shoot things, and give them dangerous vehicles to ride that their mother doesn't want them to have.

boom, favorite uncle.

edit:
      another year before I can give them this minibike I've rehabbed.

I had "help" today with Lurch. Sometimes a stool with wheels is all you need!

Cute kid.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Cute kid.
      Haha, you have no idea. Favorite uncle status is one I will fight for!

As I sit here staring at my car, I'm keep thinking of what to name her. I've got a couple in mind, but I was wondering if any of you have named your rides?

My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

I grew up in an Amazon named "Figaro". After it kicked the bucket I tried to name its 240 replacement "Joe Montana". It was a terrible idea and thus never stuck. Since my first attempt naming a vehicle was such a failure I guess I decided "never again"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Hey I've seen something similar! I hate brodozers. As if the R didn't look short enough:
      I'm super late on the reply, but I just realized how much of a matchbox car the R looks between those two trucks. Hilarious!
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

All of our cars are named... I just don't broadcast it usually. R has the best name.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Some of you may have seen her before, but in honor of my one year anniversary here's Marley in all her glory. Sophomore at western Washington. Love my wagoon

Looks great! I want mud flaps now

the factory mudflaps are awesome, and don't cost that much.

you'll hate drilling the front fender rivets.

The "College Wagon" Wagon Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cdhazzard View Post

Some of you may have seen her before, but in honor of my one year anniversary here's Marley in all her glory. Sophomore at western Washington. Love my wagoon
      Sleek wagon, man! I love the contrast of the thors with the black paint. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      the factory mudflaps are awesome, and don't cost that much.

you'll hate drilling the front fender rivets.

When I installed flaps on my XC, there was no drilling required. Just a heck of a lot of rivets. Like, $20 worth of them
      My College Wagoon

2001 Volvo V70XC
      86 BMW 325e

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast