XC70 Utility/Micro-RV Build - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Hello and welcome to #justvolvothings
      Haha yeah. I'll have to pull out the seat and see about opening it up. I'm curious if the OWS is just a simple resistor-like device that I can emulate with resistors or if it's more involved than that, which I feel like it is.
      2006 XC70 (195K) - Silver/Black | IPD Skid Plate | IPD Subframe Bushing Inserts | Micro-RV Build
      2004 S80 T6 (126K-148K) - Black/Black - RIP

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by josephku View Post
      Alright I'll try taking a look at VIDA.
      For the interested, here's a thread on an issue I had with the OWS.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...er-Air-Bag-Off
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Haha yeah. I'll have to pull out the seat and see about opening it up. I'm curious if the OWS is just a simple resistor-like device that I can emulate with resistors or if it's more involved than that, which I feel like it is.
      Has a module under the seat which usues signals from a strain sensor in the belt buckle and a pressure tranducer from the seat bladder to calculate occupant's size/height, communicates on low speed CAN to the SRS to activate the passenger air bag.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 04-27-2016 at 02:43 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Has a module under the seat which usues signals from a strain sensor in the belt buckle and a pressure tranducer from the seat bladder to calculate occupant's size/height, communicates on low speed CAN to the SRS to activate the passenger air bag.
      Module under the seat? This is for the rear passenger seat, I already removed the bottom part of the seat, and the top part has wires going into it.

Does the rear work in a similar manner? I don't see wires going to the belt buckle, and I don't see how a seat bladder would be possible given the configuration of the rear seats.
      2006 XC70 (195K) - Silver/Black | IPD Skid Plate | IPD Subframe Bushing Inserts | Micro-RV Build

Doh...missed rear seat completly ...my bad.

Honestly I have no ideas what that is for. If you have a VIDA/DiCE just disconnect it and see what comes up. If you have a DiCE hook-up you can reset it if any codes pop up.

Honestly I have no ideas what that is for. If you have a VIDA/DiCE just disconnect it and see what comes up. If you have a DiCE hook-up you can reset it if any codes pop up.
      Haha no problem. I'll just unplug it when I get home, hopefully no codes.

I forgot about this because I've gotten so used to it. But my driver door locks (sometimes) when being closed. Very easy to lock keys in.

It is very inconsistent.

What do you guys think of this, I feel like the electronic latch is just broken, sometimes when I unlock it with the remote I can hear it click but the driver door won't unlock, then I need to manually insert the key (What a burden).

Quote Originally Posted by Racer_S View Post
      Have you seen the TopGear Africa Special? :P
      "Itchy blanket, makes you thankful your not dead"
      -James May

About five years ago a friend and I converted an old early 90s Suburban into an RV of sorts. To him storage was everything and in an XC70 it's all the more important. We built the water tank on the roof inside of an aluminum housing and ran the tubing through the hatch and in from underneath the floor. The water would be brought in by a small electric pump also mounted inside the housing on the roof. That way if there were any leaks the water would just drain through the tracks in the doors and not get inside. The whole cost for the tank and pump and flex tubing was under $300.
      CURRENT
      2008 Volvo C30 T5 2.0
      2009 Volvo S80 V8 AWD
      2016 Volvo S60 T5 AWD Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Sensus15 View Post
      "Itchy blanket, makes you thankful your not dead"
      -James May

About five years ago a friend and I converted an old early 90s Suburban into an RV of sorts. To him storage was everything and in an XC70 it's all the more important. We built the water tank on the roof inside of an aluminum housing and ran the tubing through the hatch and in from underneath the floor. The water would be brought in by a small electric pump also mounted inside the housing on the roof. That way if there were any leaks the water would just drain through the tracks in the doors and not get inside. The whole cost for the tank and pump and flex tubing was under $300.
      That's interesting, you must know how valuable every square inch of space is. I still am flip flopping between two locations for the water tank, either in the spare tire area or where one of the seats is now, but underneath the new "floor", hard to explain.

I don't want to put stuff on the roof because of aerodynamics and to keep the XC70 looking stock and blending in. But it will be difficult, and it will definitely be for one person (Good for me).

For those who are interested in how I'm going to fit everything, I did a little bit of reworking of the floor plan, and came up with this:

The cabinets are on the left and the fridge is on the right. The bed does not have wood yet to make it flat, but I just tossed in some couch cushions to give an idea.

The one remaining rear passenger seat will double as a seat for a table/desk that hangs off the driver seat.

Using the spare tire area you loose a lot of dry temp controlled space, for other things that need to be accessible. The spare tire area would make a great pantry of sorts with a flip up floor design. I would put it in a place that is not as valuable space wise. Would it fit under the passenger seat if it was all the way up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      CURRENT
      2008 Volvo C30 T5 2.0
      2009 Volvo S80 V8 AWD

Using the spare tire area you loose a lot of dry temp controlled space, for other things that need to be accessible. The spare tire area would make a great pantry of sorts with a flip up floor design. I would put it in a place that is not as valuable space wise. Would it fit under the passenger seat if it was all the way up?

Edit after seeing you last post and pic.

Put it in the front passenger footwell. It will be accessible to refill simply by opening the front door and if you are building a bed there it becomes useless space.
      CURRENT
      2008 Volvo C30 T5 2.0
      2009 Volvo S80 V8 AWD

Agreed, the spare tire area is my backup plan. I'm planning on placing the water tank underneath the floor here:

I'm planning on replacing that seat with a floor, which should free up around 6.5 inches of space at the shortest part.

If I can find a short water tank I should be able to fit one here.

XC70 Utility/Micro-RV Build

Edit after seeing you last post and pic.

Put it in the front passenger footwell. It will be accessible to refill simply by opening the front door and if you are building a bed there it becomes useless space.
      The problem with the footwell idea is ideally I do want to be able to hold 3 people without having to move stuff around/remove stuff.

I forgot to mention, the spare tire area will also have 2 more batteries in it, and the rest of the space will be storage. The only problem is you won't be able to open the floor because the cabinet and fridge would be on top of it, but I was planning on removing the two plywood floor pieces and cutting my own piece of plywood to replace it, and have a flip up door designed around the fridge and counter.

Theres been lots of thinking with this, it's a lot to fit in the car.
      Last edited by josephku; 04-27-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Does your car have the remote folding rear headrests?
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      Does your car have the remote folding rear headrests?
      No it does not, is that what these connectors are for?

No it does not, is that what these connectors are for?
      Just trying to think of what they could be for….
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      Just trying to think of what they could be for….
      They could be for rear folding headrests, Volvo seems to wire the car even if you don't get the feature from my experience.

I unplugged it, didn't start the car yet but hopefully no codes.

Well it seems to be something safety related, I got the "SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT" message. It must be for seat belt pretensioners or some sensor, that's all I can think of anyway. Hmm... Removing this rear seat may be a little difficult.

Well it seems to be something safety related, I got the "SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT" message. It must be for seat belt pretensioners or some sensor, that's all I can think of anyway. Hmm... Removing this rear seat may be a little difficult.
      You're correct, those connectors are for the pre-tensioners on the rear belts...I do believe you can fool them with resistors.
      '01 V70 T5M Black Stone/Nordkap - K24 w/11 blade+ Forge CBV, EST Downpipe, Elevate Cat-Back, ARD Blue, Snabb Intake, Phuz FMIC, Kaplehenke Subframe Mounts, Bilstein Sports, H+R Springs, IPD Sways, Brembos
      '04 Escalade ESV 6.0
      '08 Sprinter 144"

Quote Originally Posted by e-rock View Post
      You're correct, those connectors are for the pre-tensioners on the rear belts...I do believe you can fool them with resistors.
      I cleared the codes and they came up as "Rear right seat pretensioner - resistance too high" so I was thinking resistors as well.

Any idea what resistance I could use to fool it..?

Well, after a lot of design and weird wood work, the cabinet is almost done. I still need to cut out for the sink, make doors/openings, secure the counter top, and anchor it to the floor and wall.

Hopefully today I will be getting a sink, which will most likely need to be modified. More progress will be coming. Stay tuned.

Ok, now I'm subscribed

Looking good! Off to a solid start...

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I forgot to upload these pictures the other day, but I also took care of the yellow headlights that barely worked.

I sanded and buffed both headlights, it looks so much better-and I can see at night!

Here is the before and after picture I took at the halfway point:

Also ordered sway bar end links and a fuel filter today, and I'm planning on a front suspension overhaul.

Hopefully in the next couple days I'll have more news on the RV portion of the build. I'm trying to get everything ready before going on a coast-to-coast road trip out west.

Huge improvement. Did you coat them with anything? Without UV protection they will yellow very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Huge improvement. Did you coat them with anything? Without UV protection they will yellow very quickly
      Yes I did, I used Meguiar's Headlight Protectant, we will see with time how well it does.

Even if they don't last forever, it's a lot cheaper than replacing them. I miss the glass headlights that were on my S80..

Yes I did, I used Meguiar's Headlight Protectant, we will see with time how well it does.

Even if they don't last forever, it's a lot cheaper than replacing them. I miss the glass headlights that were on my S80..
      Reapply monthly and they should last

I finished the mesh for the upper grill, looks nice and most importantly will prevent rocks and branches from coming in to contact with my radiator.
      Is there any way you could show the rear/how you did this? Great build BTW. I'm have a soft spot for small RV's (I drool over Toyota Sunrader variants), but those look like Class A rigs by comparison! Cant wait to see your results

Quote Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post
      Is there any way you could show the rear/how you did this? Great build BTW. I'm have a soft spot for small RV's (I drool over Toyota Sunrader variants), but those look like Class A rigs by comparison! Cant wait to see your results
      I actually didn't grab a picture of the rear, but basically it's just painted/clear coated mesh, and then I drilled small holes in the plastic of the grill to put Ty-Raps in to attach the mesh. It actually is pretty strong, we'll see how it does. I need to get a picture of it on the car, it's barely noticeable but a nice touch.

Unfortunately the build has been a little slow. Pretty soon there should be a lot more work on it though. I have not stopped designing though, with the water and electrical systems both planned out completely.

It's very small though, one person only unless you want a very cramped sleeping situation haha.

Looks like your rear windows could all benefit from some seriously dark tint to keep the interior contents incognito.

This project is not something I would do, but it sure is something I'm interested to see someone else do! Keep up the good work!
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Looks like your rear windows could all benefit from some seriously dark tint to keep the interior contents incognito.

This project is not something I would do, but it sure is something I'm interested to see someone else do! Keep up the good work!
      Yes definitely. Limo tint is on the list of things to do. There is a really good shop in CT that has 65% solar rejection limo tint, I will be visiting them in the next month.

I got to go on my first test adventure/camping trip. The RV build still has a lot to go, but I thought it would be good to sleep in it to get a better idea of things I'm going to want, or not want.

So, me and my father (who drives a Chevrolet Express 3500 Extended van, also an RV conversion) went up into the woods to go camping. This is on our property, so nothing crazy. The trail is just a very steep leaf covered dirt road. The XC70 had zero issues making it up, even with the Michelin Defenders. I could stop on the hill and get moving again without a problem. The van on the other hand, the RWD doesn't do the best in this situation. It made it up, but with lots of wheel spin and thrown rocks.

Anyway, we both made it up to the top and parked on level-ish ground.

It was actually very comfortable, I fell asleep and did not wake up once in the middle of the night. It was pouring rain, so I was very glad to be in a car instead of a tent.

All in all, it was a fun test camp trip, we had a nice fire, got to test out our new fireboxes (really cool, stainless steel boxes for cooking on with fire/coals) and got to enjoy a nice sleep in the XC.

We packed everything up and got ready to leave. Now we just had to turn around and go down the trail. For the XC70, again no problem, just a simple 3-point turn.

Now the 54 ft turning circle van got to try. This was a mistake, he backed up into the clearing to turn around, and then lots of wheel spin. He had a tree to the front of him, and his front right tire fell in a hole. The wet leaves didn't help either. We tried digging it out and putting gravel in, while also using a large piece of wood as a lever to push him out. Didn't work.

Now what? Luckily we have an ATV on the property so we got that and brought it up to the van. Now we had someone pushing the van with a lever off the tree, while also pulling it with the 4x4 ATV. That ATV jumped around so much trying to pull a 6,000 lbs van, but it did it. I was afraid the ATV wouldn't work and the XC70 would have to rescue him.

Now we got it unstuck, and still had to turn it around. We tried, but there was no way it could be done. Way too big. He ended up backing down the whole trail, not very fun, but it works.

I wish I had more pictures or videos to share with you guys, but hopefully you can get an idea how ridiculous it was at times.

Moral of the story, the XC70 didn't get stuck.
      Last edited by josephku; 05-31-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Congrats on the first overnight!

And nice looking land! Out of curiosity, what's the acreage?
      2004 V70 2.4na "work wagon" (professional aquarium nerd)
      Purchased in 2015 with 68k... averaging apx 37,000 mi/year!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast