XC70 Utility/Micro-RV Build - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

XC70 Utility/Micro-RV Build

I like that you can go on a camping trip where a vehicle gets stuck on your own land. Wish I had land like that. Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Young Satchel; 05-31-2016 at 09:32 PM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post
      Congrats on the first overnight!

And nice looking land! Out of curiosity, what's the acreage?
      Thanks! I'm really excited about completing this project, at least the first prototype. It's going to be nice once I get some of the luxuries working (like running water and a fridge).

The woods up there are beautiful, and it's just plopped right in the middle of the suburbs, but it's 8.5 acres approximately. We have been continuously working on more trails, and built 3 different camp sites up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I like that you can go on a camping trip where a vehicle gets stuck on your own land. Wish I had land like that. Thumbs up!

It's not fun until somebody gets stuck. Haha, luckily it wasn't me though.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to go on a real adventure, and I think I will be heading into NY for that. Connecticut has very little options for off-roading.
      2006 XC70 (195K) - Silver/Black | IPD Skid Plate | IPD Subframe Bushing Inserts | Micro-RV Build
      2004 S80 T6 (126K-148K) - Black/Black - RIP

Take a look at this Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comment...ls_to_live_in/

Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's funny. How old is the Reddit thread? Is he dead yet?

OP is in "Central CT". Is it that dangerous?
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      Take a look at this Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comment...ls_to_live_in/

Why?

Not trying to be confrontational but what does a reddit thread about some yahoo about to take some seriously ill-advised overland routes through Africa have to do with OPs cool little XC70 RV build?
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post

Just saw it posted today. From what I understand the guy is planning on shoving it into a container and shipping it to Africa for an overland trip, but a lot of the stuff still applies.

Current:
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Just saw it posted today. From what I understand the guy is planning on shoving it into a container and shipping it to Africa for an overland trip, but a lot of the stuff still applies.

Oh I see now sort of. I'm not a reddit dude so at first didn't realize there was any more content then a single image, and folks bitching at him.

Why?

Not trying to be confrontational but what does a reddit thread about some yahoo about to take some seriously ill-advised overland routes through Africa have to do with OPs cool little XC70 RV build?
      He's converted a vehicle into an RV with sleeping space, cabinets, appliances, water storage, etc. Also has a pretty nice tutorial on running a dual battery setup with automatic switchover.

Current:
      Deceased:

My wife's sister hitch hiked from Gibraltar to South Africa following the West Coast. She had no money, purely relied on the kindness of strangers and worked where ever she could. She was given food, shelter, cell phones, bicycles clothing, and free rides from military and rebel convoys across dangerous areas. She's a 6' ginger and is very smart and can defend herself, she stopped in Malawi and did not continue along the East Coast because of how dangerous it is. This guy is a tool. Nice shiny American Jeep with all the comforts of home, just gonna motor through Africa like it's the Highway 1. Tool should have considered a Toyota
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 06-02-2016 at 09:44 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post

No not really, I just recently changed it from "CT" to "Central CT". Maybe I'll change it to my town one day

Oh I see now sort of. ....
      It is somewhat related, although I don't see any running water. It says "water" in the title, maybe it just means he carries a water jug on the back.

He's converted a vehicle into an RV with sleeping space, cabinets, appliances, water storage, etc. Also has a pretty nice tutorial on running a dual battery setup with automatic switchover.

Where do you see this dual battery setup tutorial? I'm curious how he went about doing that.

I'm not planning on taking my car into Africa any time soon, thankfully. Although in a couple months I'll be taking it "Cross Country", that will be enough of a trip for the car.
      Last edited by josephku; 06-02-2016 at 11:30 PM.
      2006 XC70 (195K) - Silver/Black | IPD Skid Plate | IPD Subframe Bushing Inserts | Micro-RV Build

Quote Originally Posted by josephku View Post
      No not really, I just recently changed it from "CT" to "Central CT". Maybe I'll change it to my town one day

It is somewhat related, although I don't see any running water. It says "water" in the title, maybe it just means he carries a water jug on the back.

Where do you see this dual battery setup tutorial? I'm curious how he went about doing that.

I'm not planning on taking my car into Africa any time soon, thankfully. Although in a couple months I'll be taking it "Cross Country", that will be enough of a trip for the car.
      https://m.imgur.com/gallery/OLK3o#aSKqQWg

http://theroadchoseme.com/diy-jeep-w...dual-batteries

Current:
      Deceased:

dual batteries is super easy. you want a battery isolator.
      it's essentially a big diode that lets a secondary battery charge from the vehicles charging system, but won't allow it to drain the primary battery.

This way you're always guaranteed to have a charged starting battery.
      http://www.hellroaring.com/
      ^good peeps, email them with what you're trying to do and they will get you set up.

wire with appropriate gauge wire for the potential amperage and distance.

I would not do a solenoid setup. Isolator is fully automagic.
      Last edited by nsjames; 06-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      dual batteries is super easy. you want a battery isolator.
      it's essentially a big diode that lets a secondary battery charge from the vehicles charging system, but won't allow it to drain the primary battery.

This way you're always guaranteed to have a charged starting battery.
      http://www.hellroaring.com/
      ^good peeps, email them with what you're trying to do and they will get you set up.

wire with appropriate gauge wire for the potential amperage and distance.

I would not do a solenoid setup. Isolator is fully automagic.
      I appreciate the information, I will take a look at hellroaring.com for their isolators. Do you have any experience with them?

I already planned pretty much all of my electrical system. It will be ran off two Trojan T105 6v (in series). These will be charged by the alternator (via battery isolator), solar power, and shore power (120vAC).

The two batteries will be placed in the spare tire well in a line next to the existing starter battery, so the isolator will be a very easy project.

yes, I've met the man that owns it.

they're well regarded in the overland/wheeling community.

yes, I've met the man that owns it.

they're well regarded in the overland/wheeling community.
      Great. I'm going to be starting with alternator charging, and doing solar and shore power once I have time.

I'm going to contact those guys and see what they have for my purposes.

The two best stealth camping ideas that i have got from Youtube was a guy who disguised his van by making it look like a commercial vehicle by painting "Acme Painting Co." on the doors and putting a ladder on the roof.

The other idea was a guy who had a large cardboard box that refrigerators are shipped in and after he climbed in bed he would pull the box over himself and the bed so to anyone looking in the van, all they would see would be a cardboard box. No need for shades or blocked out windows or a divider between the front seats and the back of the vehicle...brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
      The two best stealth camping ideas that i have got from Youtube was a guy who disguised his van by making it look like a commercial vehicle by painting "Acme Painting Co." on the doors and putting a ladder on the roof.

The other idea was a guy who had a large cardboard box that refrigerators are shipped in and after he climbed in bed he would pull the box over himself and the bed so to anyone looking in the van, all they would see would be a cardboard box. No need for shades or blocked out windows or a divider between the front seats and the back of the vehicle...brilliant!
      That's funny. Work vans are really good at blending in, nobody would ever think twice about one with a company name on it.

As for the XC70, I think having limo tint from the B-pillar back wouldn't really grab the eye. There are so many SUVs and crossovers with tinted windows now, I think it would blend in very well.

But stealth is an important factor to my design, which is why I try to keep everything inside, aside from the cargo box on the back. Not many people expect the XC70 to have someone sleeping in it.

I started my LED conversion project. I am planning on doing all of the inside lights, plus the license plate, puddle lights, side markers, front parking lights, etc.

I started with just the license plate and puddle lights, seeing as a couple of these were burnt out.

Overall, I think it looks more modern. It also has the benefit of lasting 100x longer than the normal bulbs.

Next is the front parking lights, because now when I turn on the approach lights the car looks weird with bulbs in front.

But that's it for now, hopefully I'll have a more interesting RV related post soon.

Keep us posted. Switching to LEDs is always something I intend to do and then never get round to.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

I swapped my front parking lights to LED, the only "mod" on the car to date, and they are stupid bright.

I feel like they make a difference in light production. I'd love to go full LED on headlights and fog lights but that's expensive and I don't feel like messing around with heat sinks and all that.
      2007 XC70 - Mine
      2014 S60 T5 AWD - Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by mymomhadthis View Post
      I swapped my front parking lights to LED, the only "mod" on the car to date, and they are stupid bright.

I feel like they make a difference in light production. I'd love to go full LED on headlights and fog lights but that's expensive and I don't feel like messing around with heat sinks and all that.
      From my research it seems LED headlights, unless the reflector is designed for LED, do not throw light out as well as a normal halogen bulb.

I am going to be upgrading my low and high beam with Hella High Performance Xenon 2.0 bulbs. I ran these on my S80 and loved them. A little bit more white than normal bulbs, nice crisp, bright light. They are a bit expensive but they are great.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-h11...bulb-pair.html
      I had them in H7 of course, I'm getting H11 and H9.

And the latest news with my car:

I replaced my high pressure washer pump for the headlights. The previous owners must have used summer fluid in the winter and it froze and expanded, not good. A little bit pricey, I think $60 from FCP. It was causing a leak though, which got annoying quick.

The old one:

No more leaks! And also, I have headlight washers, these things are cool. It looks like there is a fountain coming out of the bumper. Good for teaching those tailgaters...

Edit: Sorry, I wish I had more RV content. The build was been slowed down a bit until I get my next paycheck haha.

I've played around with all manner of lighting.

best bang for the buck is a substantially upgraded headlamp harness, higher wattage bulbs and relays straight from primary battery cabling.

$100 worth of stuff will double your light output.

my DD runs 80/100w bulbs.
      and before the light nazis show up, they're pointed properly, and no one has ever flashed me in 5 years.

I've played around with all manner of lighting.

best bang for the buck is a substantially upgraded headlamp harness, higher wattage bulbs and relays straight from primary battery cabling.

$100 worth of stuff will double your light output.

my DD runs 80/100w bulbs.
      and before the light nazis show up, they're pointed properly, and no one has ever flashed me in 5 years.
      I am planning on adding auxiliary lights, Hella 500FFs with 100W bulbs. This could be supported by the stock auxiliary lighting circuit. Simple and easy, was planning on it anyway.

I understand some people don't want 5 inch round lights mounted on the front of their car..

I believe you will get a code if you unplug anything from the SRS system. You will also get an SRS warning lamp and it can only be turned off by a dealer! But with all you are doing, you could just unplug the bulb!

Went on another mini adventure, this time not on my property. I saw a trail with no gates or signs a couple days ago, and I felt like exploring it today.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get good pictures of it in action, because I was focusing more on the trail.

The trail opened to a clearing for a little bit about halfway through.

The trail was only around half of a mile, and then it went to a power line access road. It was pretty technical, not many rocks but very deep ruts and weird turns. It was also very narrow, especially towards the end.

I have a video of me going down the trail, I may upload that if anyone is interested.

The XC70 did very well, and my Michelin Defenders have not let me down yet. This was my first challenge for it, and it got away with just a couple scratches from branches.

More news on the build is coming soon, stay tuned.

Up that

Unfortunately I've been pretty busy and haven't been able to post an update in a while, but here it is!

Keepthe5alive and I are going on a trip, leaving on the 12th of this month. We've been getting both of the vehicles road-ready and comfortable.

The cabinet in the back is all done except for the sink, which I will be putting in later. I cut an opening for the doors, mounted the counter top and mounted the cabinet to the floor.

And to stay in communication, mostly just between us, CBs have been installed in both vehicles. We are using magnet mount antennas for the trip, but I will be doing a permanent installation later on.

It's a Cobra 18WX ST II, with a Wilson Little Wil antenna.

But that's about it, the RV project is nowhere near complete, but it's going to take a while before that happens.

We're going to have a thread started soon for the trip with pictures of our cars and more updates.

I forgot to mention the thread for our road trip. I don't really know how to link to it, I only have my phone, but it's called "The Great Cross Country Road Trip" in general FWD/AWD

Colorado had many off-road opportunities that we enjoyed. Ranging from small dirt roads with amazing views to technical rocky roads with even more amazing views. We took the XC into a national park where we saw ATVs and lifted trucks going in, we figured it should be fun.

I did not get many pictures of the XC off-road but definitely got a good amount of pictures in nature.

Found another XC70 at the top, other than that it was lifted trucks and jeeps.

Looking a little buggy

After Colorado we made our way into the true hot states:

Saw an old Ford Econoline pickup truck.

And...some non-car pictures:

There are more pictures and updates in the road trip thread.

And I will be uploading that off-road video once I get home.
      Last edited by josephku; 07-29-2016 at 10:19 PM.

2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Dude, awesome! And R-Pow3r3d thanks for the link...

Went on another trip over this past weekend. I went up to Adirondack Park in New York and camped for a night. I took one of the dirt roads into the woods near Limekiln Lake and then found a smaller trail with a nice campground, with an outhouse! I've never seen that at a free campground.

The next morning we went up to Burlington, VT and then down to the Green Mountain National Forest near Pittsfield. Camped out there for a night and then returned home. It was a nice 3 day trip.

Camping in New York

Camping in Vermont

A crappy shot of Blue Mountain Lake

Hopefully soon I'll be putting my sink in, i just need to figure out some issues with water management.

Stay tuned!

I finally got to install the auxiliary lights! I purchased Hella 500FF driving lights and the Volvo OEM lighting kit.

I also bought 100W Hella HP2.0 bulbs for the aux lights, rated at 3000 lumens each. I got the same bulb in H9 and H11 for the low and high beams.

The lights are white, the picture makes them look yellow.

Overall a pretty simple install. The kit I ordered was for the charcoal interior, so I have to order another button for inside.

The only thing I don't like is the lights sticking out so far, so I will be looking into making a brush guard with light mounts on it.

I'll upload a picture soon of the lights at night.

Awesome man; looking good! Sadly my lights recently met there end. Have to get some more

Quote Originally Posted by josephku View Post
      I finally got to install the auxiliary lights! I purchased Hella 500FF driving lights and the Volvo OEM lighting kit.

I also bought 100W Hella HP2.0 bulbs for the aux lights, rated at 3000 lumens each. I got the same bulb in H9 and H11 for the low and high beams.

The lights are white, the picture makes them look yellow.

Overall a pretty simple install. The kit I ordered was for the charcoal interior, so I have to order another button for inside.

The only thing I don't like is the lights sticking out so far, so I will be looking into making a brush guard with light mounts on it.

I'll upload a picture soon of the lights at night.
      I have the same kit on my 05 V70r and can't get the lights to fire. The dash button illuminates when I push it when my high beams are on. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      15.5 XC60 T6 (Wife's Ride/Power Blue)

Awesome man; looking good! Sadly my lights recently met there end. Have to get some more

That's unfortunate. Did you hit into something/someone hit into you?

I don't like how much the lights stick out, so I will be designing and making a bull bar with light mounts and a skid plate that goes from the front bumper and meets up with the IPD skid plate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnauten View Post
      I have the same kit on my 05 V70r and can't get the lights to fire. The dash button illuminates when I push it when my high beams are on. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Did you make sure to have the key in position I before you disconnected battery, and then before reconnecting it needs to be in position II

I hear you need to do this for the switch to work. Not sure if that is your problem, but may be worth taking switch out and trying that part again.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast