XC70 Utility/Micro-RV Build - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by josephku View Post
      That's unfortunate. Did you hit into something/someone hit into you?

I don't like how much the lights stick out, so I will be designing and making a bull bar with light mounts and a skid plate that goes from the front bumper and meets up with the IPD skid plate .
      Sounds awesome. Yeah i lost them to a fender bender. But they got banged around quite a bit before by folks parallel parking, so a bull bar is a smart idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's unfortunate. Did you hit into something/someone hit into you?

I don't like how much the lights stick out, so I will be designing and making a bull bar with light mounts and a skid plate that goes from the front bumper and meets up with the IPD skid plate.

Did you make sure to have the key in position I before you disconnected battery, and then before reconnecting it needs to be in position II

I hear you need to do this for the switch to work. Not sure if that is your problem, but may be worth taking switch out and trying that part again.
      I have a manual so I tried it in 0 and then II and in I and then II. Neither procedure worked. The switch in the lower dash lights up when I pull the high beams on, but the lights don't fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      15.5 XC60 T6 (Wife's Ride/Power Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by johnauten View Post
      I have a manual so I tried it in 0 and then II and in I and then II. Neither procedure worked. The switch in the lower dash lights up when I pull the high beams on, but the lights don't fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Hmm. I suppose it could be the fuse, or maybe the connection to the auxiliary lightning connector.

I'm not really sure, I didn't have any issues with mine when I installed it. What kind of lights are you using?

And the micro RV update:
      With the winter coming work on the build has been slow and will continue to be. I have been working out the sink and TV mount, hopefully I'll have those two ready soon.

I did the blower motor last week, it was getting too cold for no heat. Relatively easy install, apart from the stubborn screw in the corner. Put in new cabin air filter too.

The XC has almost 193,000 miles on it right now, and at this rate I'll be hitting 200,000 early 2017.
      2006 XC70 (195K) - Silver/Black | IPD Skid Plate | IPD Subframe Bushing Inserts | Micro-RV Build
      2004 S80 T6 (126K-148K) - Black/Black - RIP

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hmm. I suppose it could be the fuse, or maybe the connection to the auxiliary lightning connector.

I'm not really sure, I didn't have any issues with mine when I installed it. What kind of lights are you using?

And the micro RV update:
      With the winter coming work on the build has been slow and will continue to be. I have been working out the sink and TV mount, hopefully I'll have those two ready soon.

I did the blower motor last week, it was getting too cold for no heat. Relatively easy install, apart from the stubborn screw in the corner. Put in new cabin air filter too.

The XC has almost 193,000 miles on it right now, and at this rate I'll be hitting 200,000 early 2017.
      Thanks for the feedback. I checked the fuse again, no issues and it was new with the kit. I had a set of led driving lights that I wired up. In theory they should draw less power than the hella lights I also have, but not tried. I checked the connection, I have it held together with a zip tie as it inserts but I don't see a detent to lock it in place.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)

Thanks for the feedback. I checked the fuse again, no issues and it was new with the kit. I had a set of led driving lights that I wired up. In theory they should draw less power than the hella lights I also have, but not tried. I checked the connection, I have it held together with a zip tie as it inserts but I don't see a detent to lock it in place.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      Sorry for the delay, but did you try testing the lights on a different power source to make sure it is not the lights? Or perhaps you can use a multimeter to check the voltage at the auxiliary light wiring?
      2006 XC70 (195K) - Silver/Black | IPD Skid Plate | IPD Subframe Bushing Inserts | Micro-RV Build

Sorry for the delay, but did you try testing the lights on a different power source to make sure it is not the lights? Or perhaps you can use a multimeter to check the voltage at the auxiliary light wiring?
      I did not try the lights, but I did check the wire leads for the lights with a multimeter. When I pulled the high beams stalk the button on the dash lights, but the multimeter does not read anything. My guess is I need a software download that some had needed to get the kit to function. VCNA does not allow us dealers to download it any longer.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)

I did not try the lights, but I did check the wire leads for the lights with a multimeter. When I pulled the high beams stalk the button on the dash lights, but the multimeter does not read anything. My guess is I need a software download that some had needed to get the kit to function. VCNA does not allow us dealers to download it any longer.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      Hmm I didn't know that some people needed software updates. What year is your V70?

The kit instructions I had listed a software p/n that the dealer could not download. I have seen others install the kits and they work just fine. I have a very early 2005, built in fall of 2004.

V70 R
      V60 P*
      XC60 T6
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)

A couple of weeks ago I was surprised to see a broken coil spring on the XC70.

I ordered new springs, struts, strut bearings, and spring seats, as well as some small hardware. Got everything back in the car, and it's riding much better now. Additionally, the car now sits at OEM height. The car went up about 1.5" with new springs.

The front end is tighter, and can take big dips in the road really well now. I drove it on the road for a couple weeks now, but I've been itching to test it on dirt roads at least.

Went up into northern CT to find some good dirt roads to see how it does.

On normal dirt roads like the one above, the car will absorb small imperfections extremely well, I can barely feel them. Washboard seems to be much more controlled with the new struts.

Unfortunately, the roads I was planning on going down were closed for winter, but I still found some good rough dirt roads.

The front end feels a lot better than before, but I really need to do the rear shocks.

Unfortunately it's been a while since I did anything noteworthy to my car, but with warm weather around the corner a lot is going to happen.

Today I ordered new tires for the XC (always exciting). I originally wanted a LT All-Season tire like the Michelin LTX M/S, but they are expensive and only available if I upsize. I started looking for options in the stock size so I only have to get 4 tires.

I finally decided on the Yokohama Geolandar A/T in 215/65R16. It has very good reviews and from everything I've read it is a very capable off-road tire.

I ordered them from Tire Rack today, hopefully getting installed tomorrow.

I'm really excited to get these on the car, and even more excited for actually using them. They will definitely be a step-up from the Michelin Defenders when the pavement ends.

I'll have pictures soon with the tires on the car.

my brother in law has those on a subaru.
      they aren't mud tires, but do very well in the winter and dirt unless it's soupy.

Those get rave reviews across the board from the off-road wagon set.

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Subbed and hope I can see this project in person one day soon Awesome build
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

Project: WanderWagen Reborn

If only Volvo would have included a check wallet light in the cluster...

Quote Originally Posted by 95WanderWagen View Post
      Subbed and hope I can see this project in person one day soon Awesome build
      I run the geolanders 235/60r16 on my xc the added width gives you tons of traction and with them being a very stiff tire they hold up to added weight and cornering very well. They're not spectacular in mud but you'd be hard pressed to find a mud road you couldn't get through with them just remember speed and momentum are your friends in the soupy stuff. As far as dirt and gravel go they have tons of good grip and you really have to push to get them to break loose but it's easy to rein back in.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

hows the fit on 235s?
      any rubbing?
      Stock wheels?

Well yesterday I got the new tires mounted & balanced. This was my first experience using Tire Rack and I loved it.

I was originally having trouble finding these in 215/65R16, none of the shops in my area had them, it would have been a week wait. I ordered from Tire Rack the day before at noon, and the tires were at the shop the next day.

Overall I really like the tires, they have a pretty aggressive tread, but they are not noisy or awful on the road. The steering is a little less precise compared to my Michelins, but I didn't buy this car to go around corners fast. They ride nice and should hold up good to what I throw at them.

I went for a quick test in the woods, and they have impressive traction on dirt and wet leaves, definitely a step up from what I had. I can't wait to see how they do in mud and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
      hows the fit on 235s?
      any rubbing?
      Stock wheels?
      I have about 800-1k miles on mine and there have been no rubbing issues on stock wheels. They get very close to the spring perch but they clear on going to be running spacers 5mm in the front and 20-25mm in the back and if they rub I'll I'm going to roll the fenders a bit

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The new meats are lookin good man!

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4